Nexus 7 clean car install with backup cam

Search This thread

zanix

dna59

Aug 7, 2011
Belize City
Hey zanix thanks for reminding me about that amp. I've been running a cheap Chinese digital amp but it didn't have enough volume for my liking. Ordered and installed this amp and now everything sounds amazing! I'm using it with a clarion eq which makes my Polk dB speakers sound even better.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

dimex

Nov 28, 2012
Yes it's rooted with a custom recovery. I ended up solving the problem by going into the ROM and removing the few lines of code that checks for the product name being "grouper" and I was able to get it to install. Can't believe the developer did not supply these instructions.

I'm sorry, but I was reading through this thread and this post rubbed me the wrong way. You, davelee, are a fúcking douchebag and an ungrateful prick.

Kuchar09

Apr 3, 2012
Well I've been looking at updating to 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 with a kernel. Anyone upgrade and running anythibg besides Timur's ROM with USB DAC and otg charge support?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

gregthomas129

Apr 16, 2011
Its kinda dead around here man! Lol! I've been using Kangarom... it works ok, but it locks up pretty often.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Well I've been looking at updating to 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 with a kernel. Anyone upgrade and running anythibg besides Timur's ROM with USB DAC and otg charge support?

Let me know how it goes if you decide to update, I might give it a go also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

jeb192004

Aug 22, 2012

I been using kangarom without any issues...

Sent from my LG-LS995 using XDA Free mobile app

Kuchar09

Apr 3, 2012
Well I'm looking at the Slimkat 4.4.4 ROM with USB-DAC support and oxydo kernel.

Unfortunately I'm having issues modifying the kernel files on the tablet to enable fast charging, USB host and double tap 2 wake. Might have to check out a different kernel if I can't figure it out soon.

guisar

Sep 11, 2010
You be able use another kernel and xposed for some of that but how is there osb dsc without usb host?

Kuchar09

Apr 3, 2012
There isn't... That's my problem lol. Found out I had to make an init.d script to launch upon boot to adjust the kernel settings

blucmal

Nov 13, 2011
Op or anyone with a nexus 7 in dash is extending the GPS and WiFi antennas absolutely necessary? Is there any guides showing how to do it?

gregthomas129

Apr 16, 2011
Op or anyone with a nexus 7 in dash is extending the GPS and WiFi antennas absolutely necessary? Is there any guides showing how to do it?
I didn't have to extend mine. I had GPS problems at first but it ended up being a connection problem from the spring clips in the main board to the pads in the back cover for the antenna. Others may have a different experience though.

Reactions: Dnst and blucmal

blucmal

Nov 13, 2011
I didn't have to extend mine. I had GPS problems at first but it ended up being a connection problem from the spring clips in the main board to the pads in the back cover for the antenna. Others may have a different experience though.

Thanks for the info would be a bonus if I didn't have to open the tab and modify the tab. Also for anyone whos interested I found an active project a front end for android car pc find it here http://www.mp3car.com/android/155941-building-an-android-frontend.html

Reactions: Dnst

guntus

Jul 13, 2014
Backup Camera

Which is better/easier:

A) Wireless 2.4 Ghz camera with Easycap
B) WiFi camera?

Both options are around $40

Wassted

Dec 9, 2010
@kuchar,
I don't know how much of a difference it makes between your vehicle and my 07 Silverado, but I was able to get my steering wheel controls to work with joycon exr perfectly. With the engine running or not, they always work.

The dvb-t adapter. I couldn't justify spending more money on adapters than the receiver. I pryed the case open, stripped back a piece of rg6 and soldered it in. I had to knotch the plastic and hot glue it to get it back together. Then I put a female moto connector on the other end of the rg6. I have mixed results. In my Chevy I have a metra adapter between the stock antenna and the cable I made. Why gm did this I don't know. I think I'm going to try soldering the metra adapter directly to the dvb-t.
I say I have mixed results because I before I installed the n7 in my pickup I was testing it in my Honda. I took a 6” piece of 26awg wire and wrapped it around the tip of the honda's moto antenna plug and poked the other end onto the mcx connector on the dvbt; it works really well. Not as good as stock, but close.

Wassted

Dec 9, 2010
Dvb- t antenna works better now.
So I had a GM adapter for my pickup that looked like this.
2ezu7edu.jpg

I cut the moto end off and found that the copper fit nicely into the mcx female connector. So I soldered the braided part to ground and used some hot glue to hold it together. So if you have a newer gm this may work for you. Before today the antenna worked, but it was horrible.

uploadfromtaptalk1407101658052.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407101687118.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dnst and Kuchar09

02sonicblue

Jun 8, 2014
Excellent tut, and videos.
Great job!! :good:
I'll have to subscribe because this is similar to what i am doing in my mustang.

I'm not trying to high-jack your thread, but help for your subscribers.
A tip for others installing an AMP, some Amps come with a remote you can purchase extra. Here is the AMP i have which has 6 channels.
This one is no longer made, but there are others like it, or you can one on line.
http://www.jlaudio.com/xd600-6-car-audio-xd-amplifiers-98262

Here is the remote.
http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-HD-RLC-HDRLC/dp/B0025ZT1IK

The volume control in action.
http://youtu.be/P89paX9fcYw

blucmal

Nov 13, 2011
I'll have to subscribe because this is similar to what i am doing in my mustang.

A tip for others installing an AMP, some Amps come with a remote you can purchase extra. Here is the AMP i have which has 6 channels.
This one is no longer made, but there are others like it, or you can one on line.

Here is the remote.

How did you wire up your on off switch nice job by the way :)

Reactions: 02sonicblue

02sonicblue

Jun 8, 2014
How did you wire up your on off switch nice job by the way :)

It's not so much as a on/off which, but a way to turn off the charging.
Tablets and phones alike, wake when power is put to them or removed.
So i bought a secondary cigarette lighter and wired it up with the original cigarette lighter. Then put a toggle switch between the hot wire and the hot wire on the new cigarette lighter.
So when the button is pressed it will turn on or off the power to the secondary cigarette lighter.

This is the cig lighter i got , but any would work. (if needed, i can take out my tablet and show the wiring in a video)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/16351019?...39373550&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=38841643150&veh=sem

Here is the toggle switch i used. I'll post the wiring of the switch below.
12V Aluminum Metal Car Boat Power LED Start Latching Push On Button Switch 16mm
http://r.ebay.com/lzohd0

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just wanted to show my car install that I've been messing with for some time now. My car install includes a USB DAC, flash drive, webcam, DVB-T for FM stations and a Joycon for steering wheel controls. All of these are connected to 2 USB Hubs that are externally powered.

I have the webcam mounted for my backup cam but am having some problems with it in the daylight so I might ditch it if I can't figure out a solution.

As far as reliability I drove 9 hours back to college with no freezes or hiccups. Since I made my hub externally powered the tablet get enough power to stay fully charged over long trips while using gps and screen brightness on full, but I should not have any problems with it staying charged with Timurs new USBROM that can enable fast charging.

I also have a few hidden buttons in my center console for the 3 tablet buttons and also a charge button to charge the tablet even when the car is off if the battery get low, for example its been below zero for the past week so my battery is probably extremely due to the extreme temperatures. I normally only lose 1-2% over night but since I haven't been driving my car these past couple of days I have lost ~20% in a 24hr period from the -10 degree temperatures we have had, which is when im glad i added a charge button so it can charge while i'm in the store or class or something.

Oh and for GPS and wifi antenna I ended up mounting above the headliner on the passenger side and ran wires to the connectors.

I'm currently using
    -Timurs USBROM with kernel built in Link
    -Power Amp
    -mediaU to stream local radio stations
    -Copilot
    -Apex Launcher
    -GMD Gesture Control
    -Tasker
    -Tablet Talk
    -SDR Touch
    -Probably others that I am forgetting

Videos at the bottom of this post.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!!!
    What do you guys think?

Parts List
    -$39.00 Joycon EX Steering Wheel Control PC Interface

-$55.00 FiiO E10 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier

-$180.00 A new Amp and Speakers to replace my factory bose

-$37.00 64GB Flash Drive for all my music

-$10.00 OTG Y Charge Cable

-$7.50 One of my USB HUBs

-$27.00 Amp wiring kit

-$10.00 Speaker wire

-$24.00 Digital to Analog Audio Converter

-$10.00 2 DC USB chargers for the HUBs

-$72.00 Trailblazer head unit wiring harness to keep onstar and door chimes

-$34.00 Mini Bluetooth keyboard

-$33.00 DVB-T Tuner

-$10.00 DVB-T Antenna

-$7.50 Another USB HUB

-$15.00 4 USB extensions to make USB HUB externally powered

-$21.00 3 10FT USB extensions

-$13.00 Wire to extend GPS and WIFI antennas

-$5.00 DC 2.1A USB charger

Total = $610

Of course you can do this for much cheaper, since a nice chunk of that went into audio equipment and extra accessories.

4 channel amp

Bracket I made to mount the tablet to. I added a fan to help keep the tablet cool along with some velcro to mount the tablet to my bracket.

Had to add some wires for the power, volume up and down buttons that I ran to the center console in case the tablet freezes or something. Also had to run wires to the back cover since the wifi and gps are basically stickers on the back cover which I just velcroed to the top of the stereo opening.

Mounted

RCA digital to analog converter

USB hub with my flash drive, steering wheel controls, backup cam (still working on) and also my usb DAC which is also in the pic

Poweramp

Movies

Installed

Wire diagram

All of this is mounted in my Trailblazer

Here is the remote.

Already have a PLX kiwi OBD adapter connected to my old original droid one that is permanently mounted on the top of my windshield. Rather have torque up 24/7 instead of flipping through screens on the tablet.
    Thanks for the suggestion tho ;)
    Now I have a pillar pod don't really even need the torque app either, but I'll prolly just put different gauges on the phone
    It doesn't really have to have resistance for reverse. I think in the manual or maybe in the software I talks about how channel C and D are for reverse and other functions since it isn't as customizable as channels A and B.

So I have a wiring harness since that was required to keep my door chimes and OnStar. This wiring harness also gave me easy access to ign. power, const. power, ground, reverse wire, and also an amp turn on wire I believe.

I just tapped channel C to the reverse wire and grounded the other.

You then have to hook up your computer and put it in reverse to see where the voltage is in order to act as a key press.

No need for relays or resistors unless your going to try to setup multiple buttons.

I then programmed the key press as a camera button where I have tasker taking the camera button and opening the special app.

Hope that helped explain it a little better, really isn't that complicated once you know what your doing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    Well fixed my camera today so I should have it mounted in 2 weeks or so.