Notice! You will brick this device...

Search This thread

cdub50

Jul 21, 2007
I understand your point and this thread was not started as a wine fest it was supposed to be started for a fair warning I can't help it if he had a sarcastic tone to his voice from trying to help ignorant people all weekend and I think it's hilarious how people are chiming in complaining about our complaints but none of them have been here to help all the ignorant folk ... I'm just saying as one that has been here for the last five days repairing brick or trying to help that is ... Is a lot of and uneeded tension here I understand .. And it is turning" quite the Flamer thread ... So instead of chiming here to complain about our complaint and tell us to keep our complaints to ourselves as you are here complaining your self .. Please go to the general section or the troubleshooting section and start helping people... For example help him http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783591

You need to check your data. I was one of the first posters to this group and have threads on how to disable ads and have helped plenty with getting google play working. Since there hasnt been much activity I have been working on the Liquid Smooth ROM.

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
omg

why hdx don't have a tool for flash stock rom like a hd 7?

Did you not read OP? This device is still locked up tight i.e. no fasrboot capabilities and bootloader is still locked up tight...
There is no easy way to recover this device repeat there is no easy way to recover this device if you decide to Root which is your choice and you decide to Modify something else which is also your choice there is no repeat there is no easy way to recover this device if u something incorrectly.. Please read the first post of this thread it has valuable information in it for you. But you may ignore the rest of the thread because it is just a bunch of whining.

Last edited:
Reactions: saphi95

revircs

Mar 21, 2014
Did you not read OP? This device is still locked up tight i.e. no fasrboot capabilities and bootloader is still locked up tight...
There is no easy way to recover this device repeat there is no easy way to recover this device if you decide to Root which is your choice and you decide to Modify something else which is also your choice there is no repeat there is no easy way to recover this device . To u something incorrectly.. Please read the first post of this thread it has valuable information in it for you. But you may ignore the rest of the thread because it is just a bunch of whining.

"Buehler?.....Buehler?"

Reactions: vakkah

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
older

why hdx don't have a tool for flash stock rom like a hd 7?

Because that is a slightly older device developers had time to develop a bypass for the bootloader on that old OMAP processor... And that is why the factory cable works on it to get it into fast boot..because of type of processor. The hdx has a snapdragon. If you want a kindle to hack it is the one I would advise you to buy.. It is a very nice tablet and may be recovered fairly easily and can have custom kernels and custom ROMs flash do it. Just not sure I'm just not sure how far away the HDX model is from that standing even if it's ever going to happen.

Reactions: saphi95

failed1234

Jul 30, 2012
Because that is a slightly older device developers had time to develop a bypass for the bootloader on that old OMAP processor... And that is why the factory cable works on it to get it into fast boot..because of type of processor. The hdx has a snapdragon. If you want a kindle to hack it is the one I would advise you to buy.. It is a very nice tablet and may be recovered fairly easily and can have custom kernels and custom ROMs flash do it. Just not sure I'm just not sure how far away the HDX model is from that standing even if it's ever going to happen.
If that doesn't happen... How far can you get in terms of stock Android ROMs with Safestrap?

Sent from my (almost) AOSP Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
Probably

If that doesn't happen... How far can you get in terms of stock Android ROMs with Safestrap?

Sent from my (almost) AOSP Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
About what you are running currently hopefully with some improvements if safestrap is updated . I keep my fingers crossed that heme a have some luck developing a kernel bypass (Kexec)for safestrap much like they did the OG razor to integrate into safestrap . But with all probability that will be it .

Last edited:

mitchblue

Apr 1, 2011
To think that everyone who roots their Kindle is going Brick their device is laughable. Most people want to root to install google play store and stop future updates. There are always going to be people that are going to brick their device by pulling a bone head move. People know the risk, but if you can make rooting less risky by just installing an .apk sounds like a no brainer to me.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Please people root phones all of the time and I would say 99% of people dont run into any issues with having root.

Agree. I understand the Kindle is a different animal I just wanted to use Google play and install ADW launcher, my favorite, and add a theme and customize the stupid Kindle layout.

So I'm appreciative of this root option. Thank you.

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
fyi

Agree. I understand the Kindle is a different animal I just wanted to use Google play and install ADW launcher, my favorite, and add a theme and customize the stupid Kindle layout.

So I'm appreciative of this root option. Thank you.

Every brick on the first two pages of the general section and the troubleshooting section of these forums started off with the exact same needs lmfao. That's the point.. That is all he is saying here. even as of the moment the bootloader is still locked down solid (publicly at least) and we still do not have a way to consistently fix or fast boot bricked devices. A tiny mistake makes for a instant paperweight for inexperienced user. Unlike most other devices. Remember flash and mod responsibly.

Last edited:

mitchblue

Apr 1, 2011
Every brick on the first two pages of the general section and the troubleshooting section of these forums started off with the exact same needs lmfao. That's the point.. That is all he is saying here. even as of the moment the bootloader is still locked down solid (publicly at least) and we still do not have a way to consistently fix or fast boot bricked devices. A tiny mistake makes for a instant paperweight for inexperienced user. Unlike most other devices. Remember flash and mod responsibly.

From day one of the first device that was rooted..the responsibilities are always with the user. Notices, warnings are always nice but why harp on a one click root option? I didn't root for a long time because I knew nothing about the ins and outs..

If you're unsure you stay away..the essence of life. I don't stand on my head because I know what could happen ;)

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
Take a look around

From day one of the first device that was rooted..the responsibilities are always with the user. Notices, warnings are always nice but why harp on a one click root option? I didn't root for a long time because I knew nothing about the ins and outs..

If you're unsure you stay away..the essence of life. I don't stand on my head because I know what could happen ;)

I will agree with you hundred percent , but obviously not everybody here shares your hesitance.. Or wisdom apparently. And that is the person that this warning is for. So just pass it up if it does not apply to you. This warning is going to instill reality for those who do not know better or believe this device is similar to others they have owned previously. Like I said if this warning does not apply to you please do not take offense to it. Believe me there are so many here in this forum particularly. At least need to be informed of differences.

Last edited:

mitchblue

Apr 1, 2011
I will agree with you hundred percent , but obviously not everybody here shares your hesitance.. Or wisdom apparently. And that is the person that this warning is for. So just pass it up if it does not apply to you. This warning is going to instill reality for those who do not know better or believe this device is similar to others they have owned previously. Like I said if this warning does not apply to you please do not take offense to it. Believe me there are so many here in this forum particularly. At least need to be informed of differences.

Fair enough..

Reactions: jimyv

DrCarnage

Aug 24, 2014
Not to be beating a dead horse....

Just wondering if there is a reasonably safe way to get the play store on your HDX. From what I can tell, the problems occur when people go all customization happy with the HDX. I just want to use the apps I use one my non-rooted phone... Advice appreciated!

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
ok

Just wondering if there is a reasonably safe way to get the play store on your HDX. From what I can tell, the problems occur when people go all customization happy with the HDX. I just want to use the apps I use one my non-rooted phone... Advice appreciated!
The only dangerous really dangerous part with this device is ignorance I would recommend reading as much of this forum is possible to prevent problems and you cannot get Gapps to work on this without root.

Have you ever heard the carpenter wisdom about measure twice cut once? . Read any modification procedure at least five times until you understand it and then read the forum that goes with each modification to discover anybody else's problems and fixes before you continue.

Last edited:

khanhdaojtk

Sep 2, 2014
Everybody can give me file back up system 13.3.2.5 in twrp, please
I need it to save my kindle hdx in twrp. Thank

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know everyone is eager to set up their KF HDX how they want it & many of you are new-ish to XDA, so you have been able to rely on tools to automate everything, making it easier to accomplish what you want, but not so great for learning the basics of Android & the core development & debugging tools that are used in the automated processes like the various toolkits you find throughout the forum threads.

At any rate, I am writing a warning about this device ONCE AGAIN. If you really have no idea what the sdk is or how it is used, the HDX is not something you want to start messing with. You know who you are. If you aren't running Linux, or at the very least a dual boot distro like Unbuntu via wubi & you have never installed or used the Android SDK, PLEASE think twice about whatever you are contemplating.

The Kindle Fire HDX is not like other device you have maybe played with, or owned. It is a low level development device that uses an oddball system for updating & while it is vulnerable to several exploits, the bootloader is 100% locked. Complicating this issue is the fact that the device does not have fastboot access & messing with certain system files or permissions CAN & WILL cause issues ranging from wifi & 4G connectivity to a full on hard brick. There are also checks in place that will prevent adb access if you remove or mess up certain binaries or drivers. Some of these things CAN & WILL lead to loss of ADB access. Without ADB access, anything you break CANNOT be fixed.

This is NOT the device to get your feet wet on when it comes to rooting or modding. In the last two days alone, I have had 8 requests from people with devices that are having issue because of something that was done inadvertently or because something was done in the wrong order. I am willing to help WHEN I CAN, but I am an engineer, not a developer, with a busy schedule & a family, so taking care of my responsibilities comes before anything XDA related, for myself, or anyone else.

If you decide to ignore all of the posts about people bricking their devices & you ignore this warning, the SECOND SUCH WARNING, well, fine. After all it's your device & you can do whatever you want to it. Just don't expect to find an easy fix or someone there 24/7 to hold your hand through the process of trying to recover it. After all, this is a development forum, where you are expected to have a certain degree of knowledge, or be in the process of gaining that knowledge & it's not something you are going to learn by osmosis or be able to cram into a panicked couple of hours because you messed up your device.

So, you have been warned. Again. Unless you want a $300 - $700 project you may never finish, read BEFORE you do. Learn about what you are trying to accomplish & just deal with the Amazon only device until you can understand at the very minimum how to use adb & know how to apply all of the various adb commands. The absolute worst time to try to learn anything is when you are panicked & grasping at straws.

Don't be this guy:
    I think that http://towelroot.com/ is a good place to start as the apk can be side loaded and should provide root access. I still have root on my Kindle Fire HDX 7" so I dont have any need for this root method, but according to the CVE-2014-3153 most versions of android are affected including 4.2.2. I would say if your a noob and not comfortable with adb and command line then this is your best bet for gaining root. Once you do have root I would suggest installing a firewall app and block everything except the apps you want to have access to the internet this should stop any updates from hitting your device. Have Fun!!

CDub50

Not helping. Yes, anyone can root there device by installing an apk & clicking a few buttons. The ISSUE is what they do AFTER they root, because now they have access to do things like overwrite graphical drivers with ones that are 4 years old, erase directories from the system partition or just completely WIPE the system partition. These are three examples of things that people have done in the last 24 hours with root. I'd go thru the other 5 from PM's but frankly I don't remember the exact issues, most were some form of the previously mentioned mistakes. But hey, since you are telling people that "aren't comfortable with adb..." they should root, I'll start a brick master thread for you to take care of. :good:
    Say what?

Do any of you have anything useful to add besides your nanny pandering bull****? It's funny when you start digging for info on rooting a Kindle Fire HDX and this one of the first things you run across, a bunch of nannies moaning about it being too easy? Don't do it because you might break your toy because you are an idiot? Seriously? Is this a day care or am I missing something?
    Lol. When the vroot method was posted a couple days ago the hdx forum was quite silent...
    Then BOOM!
    "OMG I BROKED MY TABLET! BRICKED HDX! *BLAH BLAH* BROKE MY TABLET! HELP!!!! HELP!!! BRICKED TAB! "

good warning for noobs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    I made my toolkit to help people avoid bricking issues by waiting for proven methods that work and that I tested. I made it a menu and not a stooped down click and auto run installer. I wanted to give people the choice what they wanted to install, without risk bricking.

I guess people go outside the box for the "easy fix" to a complex problem. People and jobs are like that, doing some half assed thing to keep the wheels turning. I'm just blabbing now.
    Be safe when messin' with the hdx. I play with stuff while on a rom slot to avoid a stock rom brick.
    umm ... help?!? Help! HEEEELP!

Hey, I watched the whole video in the first post, and I think everything everyone wrote is probably great and all, but I don't have any time and I need someone to help me unbrick my phone.

I think I used the "Kindle Nook STD" rom to root my phone tablet thingy ... I believe they guy who sold it to me said it was the "I-Phone8" from "HTE", with the jellybean version of Apple OS. I can't be sure though because he was turned away from me reaching into the trunk of his car at the time.

Anyway, I don't know what went wrong, but my phone isn't working now and I was hoping you could help me. Also, I think it might be made out of cardboard. How can I tell? Should I open it? Please help. ... help ...:D