[Q] Downgrade from 4.4.2 KitKat to 4.1.2 Jelly Bean

Search This thread

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
Hi guys,

Now that we have KitKat available for our Note 8 tablets, I've taken the plunge to upgrade but immediately ran into a fairly significant issue that makes me want to go back to 4.1.2 Jelly Beam.

Is it possible for me to downgrade this tablet through Odin or any other methods?

Thanks.

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Hi guys,

Now that we have KitKat available for our Note 8 tablets, I've taken the plunge to upgrade but immediately ran into a fairly significant issue that makes me want to go back to 4.1.2 Jelly Beam.

Is it possible for me to downgrade this tablet through Odin or any other methods?

Thanks.

From what I read, the only way is to have upgraded to 4.4.2 using Mobil Odin, as it leaves your boot loader as 4.2.2 or 4.1.2.

You may be stuck until someone patches a ROM update to force older bootloader for use on Odin.

Reactions: shardsx

newbiechris

May 15, 2011
From what I read, the only way is to have upgraded to 4.4.2 using Mobil Odin, as it leaves your boot loader as 4.2.2 or 4.1.2.

You may be stuck until someone patches a ROM update to force older bootloader for use on Odin.

I just read that we cant flash stock 4.2 if we updated to 4.4. I might sell this tablet now. Any help is greatly appreciated. I was in love with this tablet. Now my spen is way off. Battery life is much worse. And I cant disable the service app that puts the recommended spen apps in the notification bar. The handwriting recognjtion is backwards and doesnt work nearly as well. I am reading that m stuck and cant express my frustration.

Last edited:

pvsgh

Nov 16, 2011
Hi guys,

Thanks.

You can downgrade, but can't use ODIN to install.
If you have a custom recovery already installed, then you can just install any 4.2.2 custom ROM from recovery.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
I took the plunge and used Odin to flash back to stock 4.1.2. The bootloader stayed upgraded to 4.4.2, but the ROM did flash back to 4.1.2 without any apparent and immediate issues.

I've been using the tablet for a couple days now and haven't had any problems other than the occasional sleep of death. Some people have reported charging issues with the new bootloader in combination with the old rom, especially with the device turned off. I'll try to confirm or deny that over the next few days.

Scapegoat86

Oct 2, 2012
what's up!

I took the plunge and used Odin to flash back to stock 4.1.2. The bootloader stayed upgraded to 4.4.2, but the ROM did flash back to 4.1.2 without any apparent and immediate issues.

I've been using the tablet for a couple days now and haven't had any problems other than the occasional sleep of death. Some people have reported charging issues with the new bootloader in combination with the old rom, especially with the device turned off. I'll try to confirm or deny that over the next few days.

Hi, I also want to downgrade, battery life in 4.4.2 is terrible compared to 4.1.2 ... How is your note 8 doing after the downgrade? any problems? exactly how you did the downgrade? excuse my english

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
Hi, I also want to downgrade, battery life in 4.4.2 is terrible compared to 4.1.2 ... How is your note 8 doing after the downgrade? any problems? exactly how you did the downgrade? excuse my english

My Note 8 is doing great after downgrading. No problems at all.

At a high level, basically grab the proper 4.1.2 firmware for your device from Sammobile and a version of Odin 3.09. Put your device into download mode, and flash the firmware. I would suggest doing a factory reset before flashing your firmware through Odin. That's all there is to it.

glockman4519

Jun 5, 2013
Central Pa
plus.google.com
I honestly haven't noticed much difference in battery life after the upgrade. I find that depending on what you are running and what your settings are makes more if a difference, at least to me, or in my case. I've learned to reduce my screen brightness and not run over clocked all the time unless the app calls for it. Stuff like that. Also use Clean sweep app and Battery doctor, they both do a nice job managing my ram and battery ussage usage.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium HD app

donec

Aug 21, 2012
If you did a factory reset after updating to KitKat would it have KitKat or Jellybean when it is finished.

fazzxx

Mar 16, 2013

Last edited:

Sanctrum

Jun 20, 2014

I am the one having problem with charging with the device turned off after downgrading form 4.4.2 to stock 4.1.2.

I can charge the device only when it is turned on.

When it is turned off it still charges but the display is never dimmed/turned off… and the device hangs… so hard reset is needed.

If anyone knows how to fix it please help!

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
I am the one having problem with charging with the device turned off after downgrading form 4.4.2 to stock 4.1.2.

I can charge the device only when it is turned on.

When it is turned off it still charges but the display is never dimmed/turned off… and the device hangs… so hard reset is needed.

If anyone knows how to fix it please help!

I also have this issue after downgrading, but compared to dealing with an inaccurate S-Pen after upgrading to 4.4.2, I would consider this a minor issue.

Avoid turning off your device or draining your battery so much that it shuts off (it's not really good for the battery to drain it frequently anyway). If you do have to charge from power-off state, let it charge for a few minutes until you can turn on the device, do a power off when it appears to hang, and then turn it back on, and then charge with the tablet booted into Android.

Sanctrum

Jun 20, 2014
I also have this issue after downgrading, but compared to dealing with an inaccurate S-Pen after upgrading to 4.4.2, I would consider this a minor issue.

Avoid turning off your device or draining your battery so much that it shuts off (it's not really good for the battery to drain it frequently anyway). If you do have to charge from power-off state, let it charge for a few minutes until you can turn on the device, do a power off when it appears to hang, and then turn it back on, and then charge with the tablet booted into Android.

Sure. If I like 4.4.2 I would never downgrade to 4.1.2. Also I will not install 4.4.2 any more at note 8.0. However it is somekind heartening that I am not the only one with the same problem.

But I am interested in the real fix (eg. getting back to the previous bootloader version).
Samsung by blocking owners the possibility to officially downgrade their devices to STOCK firmwares and by doing so voiding the warranty is just violating my ownership rights to have the device the same quality of functionalities that I have bought! As 4.4.2 in my humble opinion is functional disaster in comparison to 4.1.2.

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
Sure. If I like 4.4.2 I would never downgrade to 4.1.2. Also I will not install 4.4.2 any more at note 8.0. However it is somekind heartening that I am not the only one with the same problem.

But I am interested in the real fix (eg. getting back to the previous bootloader version).
Samsung by blocking owners the possibility to officially downgrade their devices to STOCK firmwares and by doing so voiding the warranty is just violating my ownership rights to have the device the same quality of functionalities that I have bought! As 4.4.2 in my humble opinion is functional disaster in comparison to 4.1.2.

Sanctrum, I agree with you that I'd like to see a method to revert to the previous bootloader version, but as far as I'm aware (and I admittingly have not dug very deep into this) there are no ways to revert back to a previous version of a bootloader. Once you upgrade that, you're kind of stuck.

Still, it's a relatively minor bug to put up with in the grand scheme of things, so it doesn't really bother me all that much.

Good luck on your search, and please do post back if you find a solution!

Thanks,
S.

blackrose1

Apr 10, 2012
Am i right?

Can we downgrade from 4.4.2 Official to 4.1.2 Official?

How? What about knox?

Tell me step by stem.. Thank u..

User_99

Jul 3, 2009
Yes, flash with Odin. Knox will stay because 4.4.2 bootloader won't be downgraded with flashing 4.1.2

Reactions: blackrose1

yeeahnick

Aug 3, 2011
I just downgraded from kitkat today and boy does my tablet feel good! It is back to bug free and super fast. The only downside now is that I also have the charging issue when devices is off. Glad my second note 8 is still on 4.2.2 boot loader.

I just downgraded from kitkat today and boy does my tablet feel good! It is back to bug free and super fast. The only downside now is that I also have the charging issue when devices is off. Glad my second note 8 is still on 4.2.2 boot loader.

I just got my device yesterday and rooted but I'm stuck on stock due to charging issue also.

Is there a way Around it via a custom kernel maybe?

Sent from my GT-I9505

mkrogh65

Feb 25, 2010
Aarhus
I just got my device yesterday and rooted but I'm stuck on stock due to charging issue also.

Is there a way Around it via a custom kernel maybe?

Sent from my GT-I9505

Any alternative download places for this one:
N5120XXBME1_N5120OXXBME2_NEE
Having trouble getting this from Samfirmware/Sammobile ...
Could be a network issue in my end though :)

Any alternative download places for this one:
N5120XXBME1_N5120OXXBME2_NEE
Having trouble getting this from Samfirmware/Sammobile ...
Could be a network issue in my end though :)

can you elaborate on this pal will this flash a different bootloader to cure the charging issue?

Sent from my GT-I9505

Top Liked Posts