FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Home button doesn't wake the Screen some times

88 posts
Thanks Meter: 9
 
By z89x23, Member on 15th April 2014, 08:08 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th July 2014, 11:31 AM |#41  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Still replicating after screen replacement
Hi guys,

Finally decided to take my SM-G900F to Samsung here in Romania where I got it, told the guys I tried everything: factory reset, wipe cache, whatever and they said to leave it there for some thorough tests. Next day they call me to get my phone back, the screen was replaced and I was happy I didn't get the issue for like a whole day, yesterday (please keep in mind that Samsung made no factory reset on my phone, when I got it back it still had all my apps installed).
However I just got the "screen off softkeys on" issue a minute ago.
For me this is a very clear indicator that it's a software issue, not hardware.
Now I'm curious which versions of the phone modified for carriers do not have this issue

Best of luck to all
 
 
20th July 2014, 04:50 PM |#42  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 776
 
More
..
The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fffft Ad-Free
21st July 2014, 12:51 PM |#43  
z89x23's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Limassol
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

This has been observed by many people. It would be unrealistic to expect that any PC, including your S5 would be completely bug free. There are simply thousands of variables and thousands of lines of code. This is pretty minor. Press the button a second time if the processor doesn't wake up from deep sleep immediately.

Those who want to jump ship because of something this minor will just be exchanging this bug for a different one. All smartphones have some bugs. Google will probably fix the bug in a future update if the exact cause can be delineated.

.

i agree with this.. nothing is coming out with no bugs.. thats why the companies do updates.. so the can make their products better..

for me i m sticking with my S5.. no exchange.. i agree with you.. dont want a different bug..

not jumping ship..
23rd July 2014, 03:23 PM |#44  
Member
Flag Bangkok, Thailand
Thanks Meter: 71
 
More
I just had an update to ANG2. So far, no black screen on wake issue is present in my few hours of use since the update. Let's hope they've licked this problem.

It's a great update in general as well - the fingerprint scanner is improved and has better notification animations and the whole phone feels a lot snappier!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
24th July 2014, 01:37 PM |#45  
z89x23's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Limassol
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock3am

I just had an update to ANG2. So far, no black screen on wake issue is present in my few hours of use since the update. Let's hope they've licked this problem.

It's a great update in general as well - the fingerprint scanner is improved and has better notification animations and the whole phone feels a lot snappier!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

same here.. i installed it yesterday..

Model: SM-G900F
Model name: GALAXY S5
Country: United Kingdom
Version: Android 4.4.2
Changelist: 2089850
Build date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 05:08:46 +0000
Product Code: BTU
PDA: G900FXXU1ANG2
CSC: G900FOXA1ANG3
MODEM: G900FXXU1ANG2
The Following User Says Thank You to z89x23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift z89x23 Ad-Free
25th July 2014, 07:55 AM |#46  
z89x23's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Limassol
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by z89x23

same here.. i installed it yesterday..

Model: SM-G900F
Model name: GALAXY S5
Country: United Kingdom
Version: Android 4.4.2
Changelist: 2089850
Build date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 05:08:46 +0000
Product Code: BTU
PDA: G900FXXU1ANG2
CSC: G900FOXA1ANG3
MODEM: G900FXXU1ANG2


Update:

After using it for the past 3 day i encounter a minimum rate (3) of not waking up the screen.. This is sure a step to the correct direction of solving the problem..

Please note that i didnt do a factory reset and dalvik cashe wipe.. i will do it after my vacations..

Thank you all..

P.S. the memory (RAM) went to 1.67GB..
29th July 2014, 11:20 AM |#47  
Junior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I am having the same issue but it seems, alot worse than you guys.

I got mine from o2 on Friday, updated to the latest BTU rom (JULY from sammobile) and by Saturday then phone kept locking up or was turned off in my pocket. Now 7/10 times I try and wake the screen up with either the power button or home button the screen is blank. Now it is even worse, i get a white noise screen and cant see anything, phone seems to be working but will crash pretty quickly. The screen has the white noise on it as soon as I turn it on and it wont go away, although I managed to last night but its happened again.

Is this a hardware fault? Or is it software? i have tried disabling the SHealth app and the Remote and that has made no difference, I have disabled a lot of Samsung apps too and its still the same!

The only reason i got the phone is because my girlfriends previous phone died so i paid for the upgrade so she could have my S4, which was flawless. o2 are going to make me wait upto 5 days till i get another phone if i send it back to them but i am worried i will just get another one back with the same issue

Any ideas? Is there another ROM i can try on my phone? If i can get the screen to come on that is.
31st July 2014, 05:10 PM |#48  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
I just started getting this issue about a week ago and found I had split possibly yoghurt which had set on the power button. I cleaned this up and it was being intermittent so I took a tooth brush to the power button and gave it a clean and the fault appears to have gone. So though there may very well be a software issues it could also me debris/dirt etc in the power button crevice causing the fault.
4th August 2014, 08:39 AM |#49  
Member
Flag Bangkok, Thailand
Thanks Meter: 71
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by z89x23

Update:

After using it for the past 3 day i encounter a minimum rate (3) of not waking up the screen.. This is sure a step to the correct direction of solving the problem..

Please note that i didnt do a factory reset and dalvik cashe wipe.. i will do it after my vacations..

Thank you all..

P.S. the memory (RAM) went to 1.67GB..

Unfortunately, yes I found it still occurs as well - though it doesn't seem as frequent.

More worrying over the last couple of days is sometimes it will not even wake up from the power button. I need to pull the battery out.

This seems to have happened due to an app update though I think, given how it is very recent. It might be the recent Chrome update actually. Someone in the reviews describes a similar issue to me and I had a strange issue the other day when trying to go to Google to search just resulted in a blank white tab.

Edit: I think I've narrowed the issue down to the Swype keyboard (full paid version) - everything has been fine since removing it and I'm not even getting the screen wake issue. Could this even be the source of the main issue in this thread? What keyboards are others using?
12th August 2014, 08:15 AM |#50  
z89x23's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Limassol
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock3am

Unfortunately, yes I found it still occurs as well - though it doesn't seem as frequent.

More worrying over the last couple of days is sometimes it will not even wake up from the power button. I need to pull the battery out.

This seems to have happened due to an app update though I think, given how it is very recent. It might be the recent Chrome update actually. Someone in the reviews describes a similar issue to me and I had a strange issue the other day when trying to go to Google to search just resulted in a blank white tab.

Edit: I think I've narrowed the issue down to the Swype keyboard (full paid version) - everything has been fine since removing it and I'm not even getting the screen wake issue. Could this even be the source of the main issue in this thread? What keyboards are others using?


I m not using any other keyboard except the pre-installed one.. By the way a new update is up...

Model: SM-G900F
Model name: GALAXY S5
Country: Netherlands
Version: Android 4.4.2
Changelist: 2089850
Build date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:07:06 +0000
Product Code: PHN
PDA: G900FXXU1ANG9
CSC: G900FPHN1ANG3
MODEM: G900FXXU1ANG8

Downloading now.. I will update you all on this laters..
12th August 2014, 09:13 AM |#51  
Member
Flag Bangkok, Thailand
Thanks Meter: 71
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by z89x23

I m not using any other keyboard except the pre-installed one.. By the way a new update is up...

Model: SM-G900F
Model name: GALAXY S5
Country: Netherlands
Version: Android 4.4.2
Changelist: 2089850
Build date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:07:06 +0000
Product Code: PHN
PDA: G900FXXU1ANG9
CSC: G900FPHN1ANG3
MODEM: G900FXXU1ANG8

Downloading now.. I will update you all on this laters..

Actually, I'm still getting the wake screen bug even without Swype installed. The issue is still there. Hopefully this new firmware fixes it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes