Front Camera is TERRIBLE

Search This thread

King Cole

Jun 26, 2012
Boston, MA
So.. I was originally very happy with my purchase, but I just booted up Snapchat to send off a couple selfies from the new tech... And the front-facing camera's picture quality is GOD AWFUL.

It's grainy as ****, and it's got all these weird discolourations to it! Is that just me, or anyone else getting it?

Edit: Just took a couple pictures with both my S4 and Z2 to post here and show them, but it would appear that once you actually TAKE the photo with the Z2, all that awfulness goes away! Snapchat, for some reason, keeps it though. I think Snapchat might have to modify their app for this phone... And I don't see that being likely in the near future.

Here's the break-down. It appears that the built-in camera app greatly messes with the picture the front camera takes, and this might be some kinda weird feature. Anyways, here's two pictures from the Z2, one from the camera app, one from Snapchat, and a picture from my S4 for comparison.

Z2 Snapchat Front-Cam Picture:
sKfOahY.jpg

Z2 Camera app Front-Cam Picture:
3sgN4lc.jpg

S4 Snapchat Front-Cam Picture:
IN719kA.jpg

Last edited:

King Cole

Jun 26, 2012
Boston, MA
Except I've found that it really /isn't/ that bad. Just that for some reason, Sony's software kinda... Post-produces the frontcam's pic after you take it. SnapChat doesn't do that, and thus, the pictures come out looking horrible.

Reactions: Envious_Data

edge3uk

Dec 26, 2010
There's an option in the camera settings for picture smoothing on the front camera.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

King Cole

Jun 26, 2012
Boston, MA
Perhaps this is similar to what is occurring in my pictures.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2742862

Sorely disappointed theres some **** going on doing nothing good to my photos..

Um.. Idk about what's going on with you, but mine's a little different. Go check the OP, I put up some pictures.

There's an option in the camera settings for picture smoothing on the front camera.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I tried disabling that, nothing changed. :/

Xernoxis

Jun 6, 2012
Akershus
Same here, I only have a problem with the camera when using Snapchat. Do you think it is fixable with software update? Are you on .55 or .69?
My phone is .55.

King Cole

Jun 26, 2012
Boston, MA
I'm on .69, and I was having this problem both before and after I unlocked.

I'm sure this could be fixed with a software update, but I have no idea how fast that would happen, lol.

arahmy

Jul 7, 2014
SAME

Yea my z2 front camera is horrible too. Its really grainy and theres discoloration but once u take the photo the discoloration disappears but its kinda grainy. Is sony working on a slution or no?

sierrarohan

Feb 11, 2013
Talegaon Dabhade
I understand your problem, but this is the 2.2MP front camera we are talking about, its not right to expect clear n perfect selfies especially when capturing indoors! I'm really happy about the front cam as it produces really acceptable photos! Outdoors, it is much better! I agree that there is some discolouration and grains but that is expected!!
Using the word terrible is terrible!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 476

amantukrel

Jul 30, 2014
Same problem on snapchat

I used the front cam to take some selfies. Seemed okay once the pictures were processed. But in Snapchat the selfies turn out grainy only. Any solution? I

mameenbh

Mar 4, 2014
anyone got a solution for this. It doesn't feel right or logical for a high end phone

naujoks

May 27, 2006
I understand your problem, but this is the 2.2MP front camera we are talking about, its not right to expect clear n perfect selfies especially when capturing indoors! I'm really happy about the front cam as it produces really acceptable photos! Outdoors, it is much better! I agree that there is some discolouration and grains but that is expected!!
Using the word terrible is terrible!!!

Can I ask you though if that picture youve taken should have shown the structures with straight lines as straight lines, and not as crooked as they are?
That is my biggest gripe, the truly awful lens distortion.

sierrarohan

Feb 11, 2013
Talegaon Dabhade
Can I ask you though if that picture youve taken should have shown the structures with straight lines as straight lines, and not as crooked as they are?
That is my biggest gripe, the truly awful lens distortion.

Yes that is indeed the case!! However, these distortions are not visible when I take selfies outside, even in waterfall!! :p
So I guess, when not even a single Human is 100% correct, how a gadget can be! Overall, front cam takes a shot which pleases my eye, and thats all I want from a inferior sensor.:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Except I've found that it really /isn't/ that bad. Just that for some reason, Sony's software kinda... Post-produces the frontcam's pic after you take it. SnapChat doesn't do that, and thus, the pictures come out looking horrible.