Search This thread
Jan 17, 2014
Whether you separate the glass and the LCD doesn't affect the rest of the tablet. They both come off as a unit when you peel the glass off the tablet's double-sided tape. After that, you can do whatever to it without affecting the rest of the tablet.

I looked on YouTube, but I don't see a video for someone replacing glass this large.All the glued-glass videos are for phones. Most of the tablets don't have the glass glued onto the LCD. There's a video of a 10.1 Galaxy tablet being repaired, but the glass lifts off the frame and isn't attached to the LCD.

Sooo... I'm very dubious of just replacing the glass. I think you'd have a tough time getting it to look good, even assuming you got the old glass off. Someone experienced and with all the right tools might be able to do it.

Is there a service for that? My goal is for this repair to cost no more than roughly a hundred dollars. The only service I saw was a link to people who fix the older version of this tablet.

Pedro2NR

Sep 14, 2007
Los Angeles
Is there a service for that? My goal is for this repair to cost no more than roughly a hundred dollars. The only service I saw was a link to people who fix the older version of this tablet.

You want find that price anywhere right now. I have looked myself. The replacement part just the screen could be that much. Samsung would fix it for you for about $200.

Jan 17, 2014
You want find that price anywhere right now. I have looked myself. The replacement part just the screen could be that much. Samsung would fix it for you for about $200.

The digitizer glass costs about 50 bucks online. It's not until you combine it with the LCD that it gets expensive. Hence me being curious if an average Joe would be able to fix the problem

starfall42

Jan 29, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
There are quite a few on eBay -- search for "P600 digitizer".

Unfortunately, labor for a non-glued tablet glass replacement runs around $100. Given that this is going to be more involved, you're probably looking at around $200, which is what Samsung will charge you anyway.

Reactions: Pedro2NR

shart290

Jan 8, 2014
soldierx.com
So I have a p600 (Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Ed) and I dropped it on the corner. shattered the digitizer. I bought a new Digitizer and in the process of repairing it learned the hard way that it is next to impossible to separate the Digitizer from the LCD. Bottom line is that I now need a replacement LCD for my tablet now also. FYI, there is a Gummy adhesive, much like industrial rubber glue between the digitizer and the LCD and the surface adhesion is too great to separate the two without damaging the LCD, try as you might it's next to impossible.

For the Sake of science I have just busted my tablet. I blame nobody but myself in this mess, but let it be a lesson learned for everyone else after me.

manxexile

Feb 24, 2008
Market Harborough
So I have a p600 (Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Ed) and I dropped it on the corner. shattered the digitizer. I bought a new Digitizer and in the process of repairing it learned the hard way that it is next to impossible to separate the Digitizer from the LCD. Bottom line is that I now need a replacement LCD for my tablet now also. FYI, there is a Gummy adhesive, much like industrial rubber glue between the digitizer and the LCD and the surface adhesion is too great to separate the two without damaging the LCD, try as you might it's next to impossible.

For the Sake of science I have just busted my tablet. I blame nobody but myself in this mess, but let it be a lesson learned for everyone else after me.

Did you use a heat gun when attempting to separate the digitizer from the LCD?

goodboynyc

Oct 15, 2010
New York City
Would anyone know which ribbon cable is the one for the capactive digitzier? Months ago I dropped my tablet and the backlight stopped worked and only recently fixed it yesterday(I opened it up and re-seated all the cables). Even with re-seating all the cables I can't get the touchscreen to work, though it works with the S-Pen, and curious if there's a ribbon cable just below the battery or I have to dig deeper to seat the proper cable.

fromnana

Mar 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014

Anyone know yet of the screen comes glued to the LCD?

the whole touch screen digitizer of Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition is glued to the LED screen just like the Note 3. if you watch video on the note 3 screen replacement you will under. i won't advise anyone to replace the digitizer unless you are an expert, else you risk cracking the LED. You can buy the LED Screen and digitizer already glued together if the touch screen is broken and you want to replace it.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Well, as i need to "repair" my sm-p600 note 10.1 2014 edition, and there isn´t any tear dow manual or tutorial, so i start by my self, i have a little experience disassembling gadgets and assembling again (lucky me, when i was a kid i cant put together many devices haha) well the main duty is know if the screen comes glued to the lcd, hoping they comes just atached by 3m tape or something "easy" to remove, and replace just the glass

By now you can buy the digitizer glass cover alone(i haven´t bought it, since i dont know if i need the whole front panel)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Touch-Scree...ablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item19e72eed16

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Touch-Scree...105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4618b717e1

or alibaba ($40 usd+20 ems shipping service)

well, hope this help somebody. ill be updating the thread as any news come out (i need to add text, ill do it tomorrow)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

the whole touch screen digitizer of Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition is glued to the LED screen just like the Note 3. if you watch video on the note 3 screen replacement you will under. i won't advise anyone to replace the digitizer unless you are an expert, else you risk cracking the LED. You can buy the LED Screen and digitizer already glued together if the touch screen is broken and you want to replace it from Alibaba or Ebay.
Its easier you remove it from the top with the help of the rubber tool

fiddlex

Jan 31, 2013
Guides or similar?

Are there any guides out there for dissembling the 2014 edition ? I can't seem to find anything. I want to either replace just the screen or the whole screen assembly but I cant see how the screen assembly actually detaches for me to switch it out. any information would be appreciated.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Are there any guides out there for dissembling the 2014 edition ? I can't seem to find anything. I want to either replace just the screen or the whole screen assembly but I cant see how the screen assembly actually detaches for me to switch it out. any information would be appreciated.

You need to purchase the tool kit here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charger-Por...ablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item43cbfb441c and watch youtube video on how to separate the screen. Basically, with the tool, just press the tip to crack between the screen and the back cover, then slide down the tool, the tool will pop the inside clips and split the tablet. I also recommend to replace the full assembly instead of try to replace just the glass. It's not easy since you need a glue machine to melt the UV glue between the glass and the digitizer. I did couple times for the phone, but the tablet is a lot bigger and harder. The same theory when you try to put a screen protector on a 5" phone vs the tablet without dirt.

paulielciu

Nov 17, 2011
Jibou
So, is there a success story here? Can I be optimistic I can do it?

Also, would it be wrong if I did not use any LOCA to glue back the glass to the lcd?

Last edited:

manxexile

Feb 24, 2008
Market Harborough

Also, would it be wrong if I did not use any LOCA to glue back the glass to the lcd?

SM-P600 series cracked screen repair.

I have a badly cracked screen on my SM-P600 and have ordered the complete LCD + digitizer to do the repair - having watched how difficult is was to clean a phone with LCD glued to the screen - and it also seems that there is nobody willing to take on the job in the UK. I will try to make a video of my effort and try to post on UTube if successful. I will update accordingly.

I should also say at this point that my P600 is not assembled as the above photos show. The screen and all the internals extract from the front screen side of the unit leaving a "carapace" behind. all the other breakdowns I have seen are similar so it would seem that the above may be an early version, since changed.
Wish me luck!

Part Deux

Bought LCD here -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Screen-Touch-Digitizer-Assembly-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10-1-P600-P601-P605-/261478035281?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item3ce14e2f51

Well screen LCD + digitizer arrived today and I set about installing.

Tools used :- Old credit cards (tools had not arrived) and watchmakers cross point screwdriver. Hair-dryer. Stanley knife (Utility knife)

I decided not to video my repair as it would have taken days - being in my 70s and not too clever with the eyes, meaning I have to keep changing spectacles for everything and I have a dreadful habit of removing an item or using a tool, putting it down and spending the next few minutes looking for it - you've guessed it - changing specs!

There is a perfectly good strip down on Utube here :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOzrRu8PB2Y many thanks to Gorepair.de for the video -
and that's the easy part.
After removing all the gubbins you are left with the LCD + digitizer attached to a grey frame by means of thin double sided sticky tape. I heated the peripheral of the screen with the wife's hair dryer and very carefully removed the cracked screen. By doing this I was able to re-use the tape on the new screen after carefully examining it for any glass splinters etc.. I also placed greenhouse tape - thicker & wider than Sellotape - over the screen so that I was not showered with glass splinters. Another tip is a piece of sellotape over the power & volume buttons to keep them in place - they may be held in but it's belt & braces if so, no harm there.

Before replacing the screen in the frame remember to replace the HOME button as I found out the tape is indeed very sticky and it was a bugger separating screen from frame to insert the button which I had, of course, forgotten to put back in! Should have Sellotaped it in new screen immediately on removal from the damaged one! There is also a short golden coloured multi tape that needs to be fed though the frame.

Now it is just a matter of reversing the strip down procedure and Fred is your Aunt Fanny's best friend!

The unit did work afterward despite my repair. It took me about three & an half hours including changing specs and lookin for misplaced items, so I'm sure less than two hours for a good sighted person that is "compus mentis" :¬)

It is not as daunting as it may seem

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweep29 and 7786

Sweep29

Jun 6, 2009
Sunderland
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I commend you on your victory kind sir.

I too have a broken screen (VERY POOR QUALITY - SAMSUNG TAKE NOTICE).
I may follow in your footsteps and attempt a similar repair myself.

Just trying to come to terms with the cost of the screen parts.

Oh well.........

manxexile

Feb 24, 2008
Market Harborough
I commend you on your victory kind sir.

I too have a broken screen (VERY POOR QUALITY - SAMSUNG TAKE NOTICE).
I may follow in your footsteps and attempt a similar repair myself.

Just trying to come to terms with the cost of the screen parts.

Oh well.........

It's not that it is poor quality glass Sweep, it is very thin and if you want scratch resistant glass by it's very nature it is going to be brittle and much more prone to shattering than a softer, relatively speaking, glass that has greater flexiblity.

Just don't drop it :D

Sweep29

Jun 6, 2009
Sunderland
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I hear what you are saying. Be more careful in future. Shame the digitiser is bondedto the LCD, as just found a replacement glass screen on eBay for £27.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, as i need to "repair" my sm-p600 note 10.1 2014 edition, and there isn´t any tear dow manual or tutorial, so i start by my self, i have a little experience disassembling gadgets and assembling again (lucky me, when i was a kid i cant put together many devices haha) well the main duty is know if the screen comes glued to the lcd, hoping they comes just atached by 3m tape or something "easy" to remove, and replace just the glass

By now you can buy the digitizer glass cover alone(i haven´t bought it, since i dont know if i need the whole front panel)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Touch-Scree...ablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item19e72eed16

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Touch-Scree...105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4618b717e1

or alibaba ($40 usd+20 ems shipping service)

well, hope this help somebody. ill be updating the thread as any news come out (i need to add text, ill do it tomorrow)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
    After picking up my sons Note 10.1 and noticing that it would apparently come on but had nothing on the screen I began googling. Not much info out there. Appears to be a common problem. His tablet seemed to be working fine but nothing displayed on the screen. Read several threads on here with most ending in sending the units back under warranty. Although I did purchase 3 year warranties on both units I bought...I'm just not one to do the right thing. I powered the unit down and began taking the back off like the poster did in this thread. http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2617614. Once I got the back off I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. No dice. The poster then said he disconnected the two ribbons and reconnected them and that worked for him...still no worky for me. One of the ribbons is labeled "LCD". I followed it to the other end. It is covered by a silver "hold down" sticker. I unstuck the sticker and could then clearly see that the ribbon was clearly cocked very slightly in it's socket. If you don't know, these ribbon sockets come open by prying the black piece up and away from the ribbon. Be very careful doing this. I did this on this end of the LCD ribbon, straightened the ribbon and clipped the socket back closed. BAM. Black Screen Gone! Works like a charm.

If you are comfortable digging around in very small electronics give it a try. If not, send it in.

Hope this helps.

SM-P600 series cracked screen repair.

I have a badly cracked screen on my SM-P600 and have ordered the complete LCD + digitizer to do the repair - having watched how difficult is was to clean a phone with LCD glued to the screen - and it also seems that there is nobody willing to take on the job in the UK. I will try to make a video of my effort and try to post on UTube if successful. I will update accordingly.

I should also say at this point that my P600 is not assembled as the above photos show. The screen and all the internals extract from the front screen side of the unit leaving a "carapace" behind. all the other breakdowns I have seen are similar so it would seem that the above may be an early version, since changed.
    Wish me luck!

Part Deux

Bought LCD here -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Screen-Touch-Digitizer-Assembly-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10-1-P600-P601-P605-/261478035281?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item3ce14e2f51

Well screen LCD + digitizer arrived today and I set about installing.

Tools used :- Old credit cards (tools had not arrived) and watchmakers cross point screwdriver. Hair-dryer. Stanley knife (Utility knife)

I decided not to video my repair as it would have taken days - being in my 70s and not too clever with the eyes, meaning I have to keep changing spectacles for everything and I have a dreadful habit of removing an item or using a tool, putting it down and spending the next few minutes looking for it - you've guessed it - changing specs!

There is a perfectly good strip down on Utube here :-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOzrRu8PB2Y many thanks to Gorepair.de for the video -
    and that's the easy part.
    After removing all the gubbins you are left with the LCD + digitizer attached to a grey frame by means of thin double sided sticky tape. I heated the peripheral of the screen with the wife's hair dryer and very carefully removed the cracked screen. By doing this I was able to re-use the tape on the new screen after carefully examining it for any glass splinters etc.. I also placed greenhouse tape - thicker & wider than Sellotape - over the screen so that I was not showered with glass splinters. Another tip is a piece of sellotape over the power & volume buttons to keep them in place - they may be held in but it's belt & braces if so, no harm there.

Before replacing the screen in the frame remember to replace the HOME button as I found out the tape is indeed very sticky and it was a bugger separating screen from frame to insert the button which I had, of course, forgotten to put back in! Should have Sellotaped it in new screen immediately on removal from the damaged one! There is also a short golden coloured multi tape that needs to be fed though the frame.

Now it is just a matter of reversing the strip down procedure and Fred is your Aunt Fanny's best friend!

The unit did work afterward despite my repair. It took me about three & an half hours including changing specs and lookin for misplaced items, so I'm sure less than two hours for a good sighted person that is "compus mentis" :¬)

It is not as daunting as it may seem
    Thank You from Manila, Philippines

After picking up my sons Note 10.1 and noticing that it would apparently come on but had nothing on the screen I began googling. Not much info out there. Appears to be a common problem. His tablet seemed to be working fine but nothing displayed on the screen. Read several threads on here with most ending in sending the units back under warranty. Although I did purchase 3 year warranties on both units I bought...I'm just not one to do the right thing. I powered the unit down and began taking the back off like the poster did in this thread. http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2617614. Once I got the back off I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. No dice. The poster then said he disconnected the two ribbons and reconnected them and that worked for him...still no worky for me. One of the ribbons is labeled "LCD". I followed it to the other end. It is covered by a silver "hold down" sticker. I unstuck the sticker and could then clearly see that the ribbon was clearly cocked very slightly in it's socket. If you don't know, these ribbon sockets come open by prying the black piece up and away from the ribbon. Be very careful doing this. I did this on this end of the LCD ribbon, straightened the ribbon and clipped the socket back closed. BAM. Black Screen Gone! Works like a charm.

If you are comfortable digging around in very small electronics give it a try. If not, send it in.

Hope this helps.

As much as I am dissappointed on the build quality of my Samsung 10.1 2k14 edition. I just want to thank you because you saved me heaps of trouble. I dropped mine, and then it fell flat on the floor. When I picked it up I noticed the screen flicker. I was like uh oh. So I tried turning it off then the sh*t hits the fan... It won't turn on anymore. No, it does turn on but no screen! Until I found your post. Without you kind sir I would've no idea where to start. I just unclipped the ribbon (looks really vulnerable and easy to break) then clipped it back. Then voila! I plugged the charger in then I saw the battery icon! at last the screen is back! Hopefully it lasts though. I really thought this machine was sturdier. For a moment I was ashamed because I was bragging about this machine to my sister and how it's 100x better than what she wanted me to buy (iPad Air). And I saw her iPod Touch fell down on the floor countless times. I really thought I'm going to see her finally smirk and tell me I told you get an iPad! So again Thank You! from the depths of my heart. :good::good::good:
    Here is my situation:
    My note (SM-P605) fell down from a table to floor (around 4ft height only), just half an hour back
    No visible marks/ scratch externally.
    The tab was on when it fell.. and it was in a book case (a MOKO well made case). I just couldn't understand that it can't withstand such a small fall? even inside a good case?
    i could see the tab screen when i picked it up - but the screen was kind of washed display the YELLOW tone was MISSING when i saw. I pressed power button to shutdown.. screen went blank and no SCREEN after that. My device is working as I connected via USB and did a data backup, all buttons are working too.. so looks like i have to find THE RIBBON and see how it is..

Hey, sorry about the late reply. I don't really hang out often here on xda. Anyways, yep first thing you should check is the ribbon because the lock on that thing is lousy. One drop the lock will disengage and you have to open up your unit to re-engage it. The ribbon will be marked lcd. In my case the ribbon still looked like it's firmly in place. But clearly it moved a miniscule amount enough to disengage some of the pins. I gently pulled the ribbon then the lock disengaged. Feed it on again then re engage the lock turned on then voila. LCD is back working.
    (I'm not saying this is the CORRECT way to do it but it's the way I did it. You should probably return it if it's still under warranty or let the professionals do it. I just had to because here in Manila warranty isn't the same as it is in the states. How I wish I could just return any item just because I didn't like it. Doesn't work that way here.)

Good Luck on getting your device back to working condition. Don't get me wrong I LOVE this pad, I'd choose it over iPad any time of the day but damn. It's the small things that kills this device. Like that clip that locks the ribbon and the dreaded KNOX. Other than that I'm loving this gadget. Just got to remember to treat it like a real life baby. CAN'T DROP IT.:fingers-crossed: