[RECOVERY][EXPERIMENTAL][OS2SD/INTERNAL[f2fs]][4.4.x][UNOFFICIAL]TWRP2.8.0.0

Search This thread

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
up to 2.8.0.0 with f2fs!
to install your first f2fs os2sd rom (internal MTD partitions won't format as f2fs)
make sure your card is already partitioned for os2sd.
go to wipe>advanced, select data, press repair or change filesystem, change filesystem. f2fs.
repeat for system.
do the same but ext4 to revert.

Mostly clean fork of OmniROM/android_bootable_recovery, with patches from TechV/android_bootable_recovery and my modifications.
Meant for OS2SD, so you can flash things not meant specifically for the Optimus V (like pa_gapps, or other things I once recommended but don't sit well with trying to walk people through getting working anymore, like CrossBreeder,) and have it flash correctly to the OS2SD /system and /data partitions which most recoveries won't do without some natty prodding through ADB. And sometimes not even then.

You'll need this for my kitkat ROM. With the recent androidarmv6 TLS-enabling and swapping /system and /data partitions in the kernel, this is now the ONLY recovery that will properly flash my ROMs.

partition 1 is still /sdcard.
partition 2 is system. I moved it arbitrarily several times because it seems I'm the only one actively developing for thunderc right now, and now it matches HardLight's p500 OS2SD setup.
partition 3 is swap.
partition 4 is now ext4 /data. It was, in the first iteration of OS2SD, ext4 /cache, but I moved that back to mtdblock1 for speed and space.

The OS2SD partitioner knows the new layout: /sdcard, /system, /swap, /data. In Internal mode it knows the internal layout, /sdcard, /sd-ext, swap.
Now a unified Internal/OS2SD recovery!
Things that are different from stock TWRP:

In the title bar it tells if in Internal or OS2SD mode.
Whichever mode it is in, it will flash generic zips like CrossBreeder or whatever, to the appropriate partitions.
Under Advanced is a button to switch modes, labelled with whichever mode it's NOT in. It gives an abort option and swiper to activate the switch.
v4 release fixes mode switch bug.

It will flash internal roms correctly whichever mode it is in. also OS2SD roms formatted like mine where it's mount EMMC /system in the updater script.

The main point to the multi is to be able to flash the generic zips without modifying them to either internal or os2sd as wished. And to be able to format internal or OS2SD partitions separately without changing their names.

And also, the partitioner is different in each mode to reflect the partitions used.
In OS2SD, it makes vfat, system, swap, data.
In Internal it makes vfat, sd-ext, swap.

I made it multi mode because I still support internal builds for thunderc even though I don't use em myself.

Has all the TWRP 2.7.1.0 goodies like 'Repair or Change File System' under Advanced Wipe, and text wraparound.
Download
NOTE: the screen will probably blank while partitioning and won't come back on until it finishes. you can either ignore it, or increase/disable the screen timeout under settings>screen.

IMPORTANT: When you flash the new recovery, reboot recovery to be sure it works, before flashing ROM.

Thanks to TechVendetta for his source or I'd not have messed with TWRP at all.
Not to mention the partitioning code.
Thanks to androidarmv6 for the android_device_lge_p500/msm7x27-common tweaks for TWRP which I shamelessly kanged with credit given, from thunderg to thunderc, like my 3.0 kernel and much of my device folder setup.
And thanks to @Dees_Troy et al for TWRP source code. Very very pretty, fun to modify, and I love the terminal and file manager.

If any original devs of TWRP happen to see this, my apologies for mangling the source to my own ends. It's a work in progress and I take full responsibility for any bugs or glitches. And thank you again for sharing.

Last edited:

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
os2sd v3 uploaded.
Strongly recommended upgrade if you're using os2sd. Removes internal system and data from fstabs to fix mounting conflicts. It'll still flash files that mount them by device (/dev/block/mtdblock5 or 6 for system and data)

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
bump
new version, multi-function internal/os2sd. only flashes TLS enabled builds from 08022014 onwards, unfortunately. Everything else for the Optimus V or S, has the internal /system and /data partitions reversed from this recovery version (and newer rom builds.)

It's a change that completely breaks backwards compatibility, which I dislike immensely, but the phone does run faster and have more system space without fighting for it.
so, since no-one else has built anything for these phones that I'm aware of for months now, I feel free to make any changes I see fit no matter how exorbitant or incompatible they may be.

Just wait till I switch the whole shebang over to f2fs instead of yaffs2, that's going to break any remaining reverse compatibility with other recoveries or roms that might still linger about. I'll have to build a stock kernel for f2fs and make an f2fs redo of Rhode rom so that people can still activate the phones without having to completely redo the recovery and reformat the mtd partitions and all.

monogwai

Jun 3, 2016
bugs?

I've noticed some issues with this version of TWRP, so I thought I'd come here and list what I can remember off the top of my head.

• after flashing zips, the 'wipe cache/dalvik' button causes the recovery to hang

• under the mount option, you select what partitions you want to mount, then press 'mount USB storage', and windows gives a sound I hadn't heard before-- it's like the tone for plugging something in usb, but it is only one tone repeated 3 times, I suppose so as to indicate a communication error of some kind. When you then press 'unmount', windows sounds the proper tones, and you then get access, but only to the SD card. Enabling or disabling MTP has no effect.

Hm. There were one or two little niggling things, but I seem to have forgotten them. I should write stuff down, huh?

Reactions: bigsupersquid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    up to 2.8.0.0 with f2fs!
    to install your first f2fs os2sd rom (internal MTD partitions won't format as f2fs)
    make sure your card is already partitioned for os2sd.
    go to wipe>advanced, select data, press repair or change filesystem, change filesystem. f2fs.
    repeat for system.
    do the same but ext4 to revert.

Mostly clean fork of OmniROM/android_bootable_recovery, with patches from TechV/android_bootable_recovery and my modifications.
    Meant for OS2SD, so you can flash things not meant specifically for the Optimus V (like pa_gapps, or other things I once recommended but don't sit well with trying to walk people through getting working anymore, like CrossBreeder,) and have it flash correctly to the OS2SD /system and /data partitions which most recoveries won't do without some natty prodding through ADB. And sometimes not even then.

You'll need this for my kitkat ROM. With the recent androidarmv6 TLS-enabling and swapping /system and /data partitions in the kernel, this is now the ONLY recovery that will properly flash my ROMs.

partition 1 is still /sdcard.
    partition 2 is system. I moved it arbitrarily several times because it seems I'm the only one actively developing for thunderc right now, and now it matches HardLight's p500 OS2SD setup.
    partition 3 is swap.
    partition 4 is now ext4 /data. It was, in the first iteration of OS2SD, ext4 /cache, but I moved that back to mtdblock1 for speed and space.

The OS2SD partitioner knows the new layout: /sdcard, /system, /swap, /data. In Internal mode it knows the internal layout, /sdcard, /sd-ext, swap.
    Now a unified Internal/OS2SD recovery!
    Things that are different from stock TWRP:

In the title bar it tells if in Internal or OS2SD mode.
    Whichever mode it is in, it will flash generic zips like CrossBreeder or whatever, to the appropriate partitions.
    Under Advanced is a button to switch modes, labelled with whichever mode it's NOT in. It gives an abort option and swiper to activate the switch.
    v4 release fixes mode switch bug.

It will flash internal roms correctly whichever mode it is in. also OS2SD roms formatted like mine where it's mount EMMC /system in the updater script.

The main point to the multi is to be able to flash the generic zips without modifying them to either internal or os2sd as wished. And to be able to format internal or OS2SD partitions separately without changing their names.

And also, the partitioner is different in each mode to reflect the partitions used.
    In OS2SD, it makes vfat, system, swap, data.
    In Internal it makes vfat, sd-ext, swap.

I made it multi mode because I still support internal builds for thunderc even though I don't use em myself.

Has all the TWRP 2.7.1.0 goodies like 'Repair or Change File System' under Advanced Wipe, and text wraparound.
    Download
    NOTE: the screen will probably blank while partitioning and won't come back on until it finishes. you can either ignore it, or increase/disable the screen timeout under settings>screen.

IMPORTANT: When you flash the new recovery, reboot recovery to be sure it works, before flashing ROM.

Thanks to TechVendetta for his source or I'd not have messed with TWRP at all.
    Not to mention the partitioning code.
    Thanks to androidarmv6 for the android_device_lge_p500/msm7x27-common tweaks for TWRP which I shamelessly kanged with credit given, from thunderg to thunderc, like my 3.0 kernel and much of my device folder setup.
    And thanks to @Dees_Troy et al for TWRP source code. Very very pretty, fun to modify, and I love the terminal and file manager.

If any original devs of TWRP happen to see this, my apologies for mangling the source to my own ends. It's a work in progress and I take full responsibility for any bugs or glitches. And thank you again for sharing.
    bugs?

I've noticed some issues with this version of TWRP, so I thought I'd come here and list what I can remember off the top of my head.

• after flashing zips, the 'wipe cache/dalvik' button causes the recovery to hang

• under the mount option, you select what partitions you want to mount, then press 'mount USB storage', and windows gives a sound I hadn't heard before-- it's like the tone for plugging something in usb, but it is only one tone repeated 3 times, I suppose so as to indicate a communication error of some kind. When you then press 'unmount', windows sounds the proper tones, and you then get access, but only to the SD card. Enabling or disabling MTP has no effect.

Hm. There were one or two little niggling things, but I seem to have forgotten them. I should write stuff down, huh?