[DEV/DEBUG] CM11 debug thread for Falcon

Search This thread

d33dvb

Sep 30, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
Samsung Galaxy S21
No more audio bug on 12/08/2014 nightly =)

SWEET!!

I can confirm no lag in play pause next, audio seems louder but have to confirm when Im in the car tomorrow. Cant believe the solution was just to compile the source we had. Thanks Ethan, nice work man.

Edit: the play pause lag is gone but there is still extremely low volume. With stock firmware in the car there is no static and the volume is a good 10 decibels higher at the highest volume

Last edited:

adinkwok

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
May 28, 2013
Seattle
adin.dev
Why was the CM11 dev thread closed suddenly?

Will development stop for CM11 on Moto G?

It's because we have a lot of people who don't understand that
Code:
adb logcat then be quiet = bug fixes and happy dev and happy users
But
Code:
Complaining and reporting the bug 62286284 times = dev(s) feeling unfair and moderators constantly having to clean thread

thestory101

Aug 19, 2009
I didn't noticed until now, where is pulse notification gone?

menu display & light , also change to display.

I'm on nightly 0813. :confused:

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Free mobile app

skenliv

Mar 24, 2004
Sweden
www.skenliv.com
It's because we have a lot of people who don't understand that
Code:
adb logcat then be quiet = bug fixes and happy dev and happy users
But
Code:
Complaining and reporting the bug 62286284 times = dev(s) feeling unfair and moderators constantly having to clean thread

I'm a developer myself and this is more than often true:

1. Users reporting bugs only see what is right in front of them.
2. Users don't care and don't want to spend time to report bugs, they just want a working device.
3. Some users are lazy and cranky.

Maybe a bug-reporting system where duplicates can be easier to find and manage?

adinkwok

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
May 28, 2013
Seattle
adin.dev
I'm a developer myself and this is more than often true:

1. Users reporting bugs only see what is right in front of them.
2. Users don't care and don't want to spend time to report bugs, they just want a working device.
3. Some users are lazy and cranky.

Maybe a bug-reporting system where duplicates can be easier to find and manage?

I think people need to be more self aware of things that are going on. Since you're a developer, you would understand that it's hard to meet expectations and constantly being reminded (harshly) really makes you feel down and unappreciated.

skenliv

Mar 24, 2004
Sweden
www.skenliv.com
I think people need to be more self aware of things that are going on. Since you're a developer, you would understand that it's hard to meet expectations and constantly being reminded (harshly) really makes you feel down and unappreciated.

It does feel, because people think that bugs are your responsibility as a developer - just that in case of such a large project as Android and CM11, and all the different hardware, it's not.

Still, a good system to report bugs and putting more responsibility of the bug reporters to do it properly - would be a good way to make it better.

Why not make a Github repository for the project and ask people to report bugs there, there would be less pissed off people since they can find out themselves if bugs exist and report what they find.

pinguijxy

Apr 5, 2012
Bremen
It does feel, because people think that bugs are your responsibility as a developer - just that in case of such a large project as Android and CM11, and all the different hardware, it's not.

Still, a good system to report bugs and putting more responsibility of the bug reporters to do it properly - would be a good way to make it better.

Why not make a Github repository for the project and ask people to report bugs there, there would be less pissed off people since they can find out themselves if bugs exist and report what they find.

It already exist. That's were Ethan is working ;)

everb00b

Dec 1, 2011
The Gulag
Adding a bug to the list.

# Switch to ART, and check if you get force close on "com.motorola.motgeofencesvc". = easy to reproduce.
com.motorola.motgeofencesvc - it wasn't on 10/8 nightly it was added in the 12/8 nightly since then, FC on ART.
(Sent a bugreport via CM bug report)

This bug is from 12/8 nightly, since Ethan (which has my respect) started changing the kernel.

I didn't noticed until now, where is pulse notification gone?

menu display & light , also change to display.

I'm on nightly 0813. :confused:

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Free mobile app

It's like this since 12/8.

Last edited:

thestory101

Aug 19, 2009
Adding a bug to the list.

# Switch to ART, and check if you get force close on "com.motorola.motgeofencesvc". = easy to reproduce.
com.motorola.motgeofencesvc - it wasn't on 10/8 nightly it was added in the 12/8 nightly since then, FC on ART.
(Sent a bugreport via CM bug report)

This bug is from 12/8 nightly, since Ethan (which has my respect) started changing the kernel.

It's like this since 12/8.
Thx, switch back to 0811 ART working fine.

BTW, about gps I already flash modem 442, now GPS work fine. but truely is a downgrade for baseband version. I think cm has problem with new baseband with came with 4.4.4 stock update.

anyone notice any improve from new baseband? I was used for a month but not notice anythings.

droidfreak007

Oct 29, 2011
since dhacker isnt maintaining this anymore..does that mean this rom is basically going to stay the same with the same bugs it had when he left?
what bugs are present now? ive heard some people saying the notification led settings have disappeared from display settings among other things

everb00b

Dec 1, 2011
The Gulag
since dhacker isnt maintaining this anymore..does that mean this rom is basically going to stay the same with the same bugs it had when he left?
what bugs are present now? ive heard some people saying the notification led settings have disappeared from display settings among other things

No offense, but this is a debug thread and we are trying to keep it like this.
So please if you can share a bug report + logcat it would be great.

There's an FAQ at Troubleshoot section.

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
andrux-and-me.blogspot.com
Moto G
Moto E
@matmutant Hey, since Ethan is the new dev for CM, is there still any use in submitting bug reports in this thread (or on XDA at all)?

i dont have any contact with him as for now, so bug reports made there go nowhere, but i'll ask him if I can directly report to him issues reported here. wait and see :)

edit: Ethan answered me, I'm now able to transmit relevant reports directly to him now. this thread won't die finally !

Last edited:

Petrovski80

Mar 21, 2011
Almelo
Camera bug

With cm-11-20140815-NIGHTLY-falcon my camera is no longer working properly. When I take a picture, the camera focuses and the flash fires, but instead of actually saving the image, the camera app freezes on this point. I first noticed this with the 0814 nightly, but it could also be present on 0813. No problems using the camera with earlier builds.

I've tried wiping the camera app's data, didn't help. Also tried the Google Camera app from the play store, but it has the same issue. The strange thing is, after a reboot the camera is working fine and I can snap multiple images without problem. But after a while, the bug returns. So far I'm not able to reproduce the conditions.

Logcat attached.

Attachments

• logcat3.txt
    227.9 KB · Views: 3

Petrovski80

Mar 21, 2011
Almelo
i dont have any contact with him as for now, so bug reports made there go nowhere, but i'll ask him if I can directly report to him issues reported here. wait and see :)

edit: Ethan answered me, I'm now able to transmit relevant reports directly to him now. this thread won't die finally !

Thanks for this. I was wondering if I should start using CM's Jira bugtracker instead of this thread, but the advantage of this thread is that others can quickly read already reported bugs and solutions. If Ethan is either reading this thread or you report bugs to him from the thread, we have a good flow going.

d33dvb

Sep 30, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
Samsung Galaxy S21
With cm-11-20140815-NIGHTLY-falcon my camera is no longer working properly. When I take a picture, the camera focuses and the flash fires, but instead of actually saving the image, the camera app freezes on this point. I first noticed this with the 0814 nightly, but it could also be present on 0813. No problems using the camera with earlier builds.

I've tried wiping the camera app's data, didn't help. Also tried the Google Camera app from the play store, but it has the same issue. The strange thing is, after a reboot the camera is working fine and I can snap multiple images without problem. But after a while, the bug returns. So far I'm not able to reproduce the conditions.

Logcat attached.

On xt1034 I am not experiencing this bug, what is your phone model?

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

The audio is night and day better, its almost as good as stock volume, He is doing some great work.

For people that dont know and want to follow the changes, check here.
http://www.cmxlog.com/11/falcon/

Development is not dead, in fact back and better than ever, and I think before we have a clusterf*ck in the new CM thread, I think we should keep Ethan cushioned from the end users of the moto g. We are a persistent and rude community unfortunately and I love CM and am beginning to love Ethan! Lets not screw it up again.

:)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CM11 debug thread for Falcon

This thread is related to CM11 for Moto G (Falcon) maintained by Ethan Chen

for debugging purpose, i need this only thread to centralize the data
    ==> Report bugs (documented) i'll sort them by relevance (importance : low [L]; medium [M]; high [H]) and follow them to Ethan Chen.

Before Asking anything here, please refer to RC-FAQ & CM11 FAQ by @pinguijxy
    refer to this post for general commands​

• post 2 : known and solved
    • post 3 : pending
    • post 4: irrelevant

to improve CM11 for Falcon, you could :
    • post results after following protocols,
      [*]help me to set up test new protocols,
      [*]give advices about them
      [*]suggest things to investigate
      IF you can prove it worths to ;)

How To Report?
    20140819-edit : Please use "Bug Report" button at the top of the thread instead of posting in thread.
    give at least :

• model : XT103* ?
    • rom build : cm-11-yyyymmdd-NIGHTLY-falcon ?
    • kernel build :
    • logcat?
    • way to reproduce ? (ok this is the best, but not always easy, or even possible to do)

XDA:DevDB Information
    [DEV/DEBUG] Official CM11 debug and dev thread for Falcon, ROM for the Moto G

Contributors
    matmutant, pinguijxy, CyanogenMod, Ethan Chen
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2014-08-19
    Last Updated 2015-01-10
    No major problems so far. RAM usage seems to increase over time like in official CM, but much slower and less predictable. "Lost RAM" drops by 20-30 MB from time to time. It feels like my voodoo "fixed" one of some more problems, but only longer testing will tell.

So here you go. Standard disclaimer, no warranty yadda yadda yadda.

Code:
    [...]

Total PSS by category:
       108786 kB: Native
       101428 kB: Dalvik
        52426 kB: .dex mmap
        48599 kB: .so mmap
        47478 kB: Dalvik Other
        20583 kB: Other dev
        15317 kB: Ashmem
        13803 kB: .apk mmap
         6924 kB: Unknown
         4286 kB: Stack
         3092 kB: Other mmap
         1734 kB: .ttf mmap
          170 kB: .jar mmap
            8 kB: Cursor
            0 kB: code mmap
            0 kB: image mmap
            0 kB: Graphics
            0 kB: GL
            0 kB: Memtrack

Total RAM: 903272 kB
     Free RAM: 469660 kB (110976 cached pss + 274788 cached + 83896 free)
     Used RAM: 373874 kB (313658 used pss + 3608 buffers + 11320 shmem + 45288 slab)
     Lost RAM: 59738 kB
         ZRAM: 4304 kB physical used for 15248 kB in swap (131068 kB total swap)
          KSM: 44048 kB saved from shared 8208 kB
               184956 kB unshared; 326004 kB volatile
       Tuning: 64 (large 256), oom 122880 kB, restore limit 40960 kB (high-end-gfx)

Code:
    up time: 03:39:53, idle time: 01:56:57, sleep time: 01:35:43

Code:
    $ md5sum cm-11-20140319-UNOFFICIAL-falcon-test2.zip 
    690636b7b10bd48bcec4fc9a8116fed6  cm-11-20140319-UNOFFICIAL-falcon-test2.zip

Edit: Test build removed, use cm nightly + zip from here.
    Im currently trying to reproduce the ram bug on a build I compiled 30min ago. So far I couldn't achieve more than 100 MB of "Lost RAM", currently it's at ~45 MB.

Because someone said the bug happens with all versions since 20140224, I searched for commits in the device specific repositories that were pushed just after this date, especially in the kernel and qcom display repository. What I found were some commits from 26/02 in android_kernel_motorola_msm8226: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_motorola_msm8226/commits/cm-11.0?page=11
    I tried to revert those (cc12abf69bf608b1accffb15682bdeecd36aaaa3..6a8acccc9a65df6cd8782d8858003dea75cfa6e8), got an error during compilation and reverted 518351814c0f60c3ffad26bead05624b668c05ee in android_hardware_qcom_display-caf-new as well (git blame helped here).

It seems that there are still some problems, "Lost RAM" does not go below 40 MB and rises sometimes to as high as 95 MB. But maybe that's just normal. I will test the build for some hours/days and report. If I don't get any problems, I may upload it for others to try so we can verify that the bug was introduced by said commits and track it down further.

The only commit that needs to be reverted is the commit 1c8afaa0734547907076c45245aa4030a9049ccb with the funny commit message:
    Revert "Revert "msm: mdss: Detach mdss iommu on static screen"" commited and authored by dhacker29

This raises for me 2 questions @dhacker29:
    - Why was the original commit reverted?
    - Why was the revert again reverted?
    Apparently when I revert the revert which is a revert (wow, that's a lot of reverts), then I get rid of the lost RAM bug...

Just compiled the current git head with only 1c8afaa0734547907076c45245aa4030a9049ccb reverted, and everything seems to be fine. Let' see how the long-term usage will turn out.
    Are you posting the fix for wifi to the official cm code review, or will you keep doing your own builds?

Thanks for all the effort.

Yeah I'll put it on the code review, I've just been lazy the last day or two there is one or two extra commits that need to be merged with the update for it to compile, ill get it up there tomorrow night probably.
    Im currently trying to reproduce the ram bug on a build I compiled 30min ago. So far I couldn't achieve more than 100 MB of "Lost RAM", currently it's at ~45 MB.

Because someone said the bug happens with all versions since 20140224, I searched for commits in the device specific repositories that were pushed just after this date, especially in the kernel and qcom display repository. What I found were some commits from 26/02 in android_kernel_motorola_msm8226: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_motorola_msm8226/commits/cm-11.0?page=11
    I tried to revert those (cc12abf69bf608b1accffb15682bdeecd36aaaa3..6a8acccc9a65df6cd8782d8858003dea75cfa6e8), got an error during compilation and reverted 518351814c0f60c3ffad26bead05624b668c05ee in android_hardware_qcom_display-caf-new as well (git blame helped here).

It seems that there are still some problems, "Lost RAM" does not go below 40 MB and rises sometimes to as high as 95 MB. But maybe that's just normal. I will test the build for some hours/days and report. If I don't get any problems, I may upload it for others to try so we can verify that the bug was introduced by said commits and track it down further.