[Q] Unlocked S-ON Hboot1.58 Philz Touch Recovery

Search This thread

oD33z

Dec 27, 2010
Please help. I have unlocked this phone through HTC Dev. I have flashed a custom recovery. Somewhere through this process, the original installation of the factory rom from VM was deleted. That doesn't bother me because I was never going back to it anyway, but If I had it right now, I wouldn't be here. ;) I have tried to use the RUU exe in fastboot and the RUU zip in recovery from here. Neither will install, exe throws errors and the zip returns [bad]. I have also tried the [ROM] NegaLite-BluRom-JCFunk | 2.95 | Sprint/VM | Sense/Apex/Nova | 03/25/2014. This eventually installed, but will not boot even with installing boot.img separately. I followed all directions to the best of my ability, but by no means am I saying I did correctly, but I am pretty sure I did. So to recap - I have whats in the title, but no rom whatsoever installed that can be accessed. Any takers?

Last edited:

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
Some more info please, hboot version? Which recovery. s-on makes things harder.

To flash stock need to be relocked, stock will not flash from recovery.
If you put rom.zip, stock zip, in root of sdcard and rename to PG86IMG.zip. hboot will flash automaticly.

Or if you have a copy of the custom recovery img file on your computer, you can do a fastboot command that will let you boot from it and give it full write access.
fastboot boot recovery.img, then you can retry to flash negalite
img must be in directory you use fastboot in.

Reactions: oD33z

oD33z

Dec 27, 2010
Before I proceed in explaining anything, please let me Thank You JCFunk for lending me a hand in my endeavors. This is my first crack at a HTC device. So I'm a newb at locks, hboots, and HTC specifics. So, Thank You!

I scanned through a lot of information and I moved to quickly, thinking I would ace this project and not particularly following a guide step by step. I know I should just wire trick this phone. I am wanting to get to hboot 1.40 and use Revolutionary to S-OFF. Once that is achieved load a kitkat rom. This is just a project, not used for daily phone use - no service.

If you put rom.zip, stock zip, in root of sdcard and rename to PG86IMG.zip. hboot will flash automaticly.

I tried this step first and it returned:

Main Version is older.
Update Fail!
Press <POWER> to reboot.

Would I be correct to say if I flashed the SetMainVersionLOW.zip that this method would likely work?
Also, if I am overcomplicating this(other than wire-trick) and there is an easier method, please advise.

Last edited:

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
Before I proceed in explaining anything, please let me Thank You JCFunk for lending me a hand in my endeavors. This is my first crack at a HTC device. So I'm a newb at locks, hboots, and HTC specifics. So, Thank You!

I scanned through a lot of information and I moved to quickly, thinking I would ace this project and not particularly following a guide step by step. I know I should just wire trick this phone. I am wanting to get to hboot 1.40 and use Revolutionary to S-OFF. Once that is achieved load a kitkat rom. This is just a project, not used for daily phone use - no service.

Main Version is older.
Update Fail!
Press <POWER> to reboot.

Would I be correct to say if I flashed the SetMainVersionLOW.zip that this method would likely work?
Also, if I am overcomplicating this(other than wire-trick) and there is an easier method, please advise.

D33z
How good are you with linux, or do just use windows? Never did wire trick myself, I've always done Unknownforce hboot downgrade. Which I can now do in about 15 min.

s-off not required, there's many way to bypass unlocked limitations.

Your main var is to high because htc never released a current ruu, so the ota pushed version higher but no ruu to match.

what can I help you do?

Sent from my DOWNGRADED EVO 3D, remember all development is done on my phone, not a computer

oD33z

Dec 27, 2010
How good are you with linux, or do just use windows? Never did wire trick myself, I've always done Unknownforce hboot downgrade. Which I can now do in about 15 min.

Your main var is to high because htc never released a current ruu, so the ota pushed version higher but no ruu to match.

what can I help you do?

Sent from my DOWNGRADED EVO 3D, remember all development is done on my phone, not a computer

I am great with linux, but was under the assumption it needed to be burned to cd and that USB was not an option, please advise if not the case. I have read a ton and I remember reading about Unknownforce, but cant remember if thats the case or not.

Off topic: I learned from you that it has to be locked to go stock, but does it need to be unlocked to flash your rom or locked as well?

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
Unlocked for custom, locked for stock.

Here is unknownforce ultimate tool,
there was a live cd version made for windows users scared of linux.
I use tiny core linux for this, Ubuntu tries to mount all the partitions and you only have a 5 second window when they are writeable. I have used Ubuntu, at first, but preferred tinycore.
But first you are going to need to get stock.zip to install.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1653777

I would do fastboot boot recovery.img

Then install negalite, so atless you can boot the phone

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

here is 4ext recovery I would use this one first until you get used to things, best recovery for 3d.

oD33z

Dec 27, 2010
Is 4ext > TWRP unofficial? I am currently on your unofficial TWRP and installing the latest negalite.

Last edited:

oD33z

Dec 27, 2010
What I meant was, in your opinion, is the 4ext a better recovery than the unofficial TWRP?

During the install of Negalite at the point of -Setting Up Kernel Over-Clock Settings
under this it reads: assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/newboot.img","boot")
Is this a red flag of something not going right in any way?

After this I click Next>Recovery>Wipe Dalvik>Reboot and it boots into Fastboot. Whats happening at this point?

Last edited:

oD33z

Dec 27, 2010
Since I am basically starting from scratch and the end goal is to have a kitkat rom and possibly S-OFF(if its a must to do so).

What all needs to be done as far as formatting, tweaks, or anything else to achieve the best performance, space, or anything you can think of?

Thats if you dont mind sharing. I appreciate your time and if I can be of service to you in any way, I will. :D

Last edited:

oD33z

Dec 27, 2010
I am currently on the 4ext recovery with 1GB sd-ext 0 swap and formatted Ext4.
fastboot boot recovery.img
flashrom.zip from recovery
reboot, wipe dalvik, reboot
Negalite.zip installed with no errors whatsoever.
Thank You.
Beautiful smooth running rom btw.

Does all that above sound like I did the right things as for setting up and installing?

Last edited:

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
4ext is most stable, the unofficial has new features like f2fs and selinux, but 95% stable.

fastboot boot recovery.img is an old work around, also used to flash boot.img with fastboot. That is ok with roms that include a whole boot.img but roms like mine use a dynamic boot.img. Basically the installer makes the boot.img using your choices.

From what I know about Kitty kat I think you need to downgrade hboot or be s-off. Not sure I've stayed on ics for stability because I still use this phone. Also there is a new version of negalite on svn, just takes hours for me to upload a zip version.

Last edited:

oD33z

Dec 27, 2010
I should have worded that different really, the revision numbers threw me, I honestly was just making sure I was in the right place. 48mb smaller, anything stripped?

Last edited:

oD33z

Dec 27, 2010

Or if you have a copy of the custom recovery img file on your computer, you can do a fastboot command that will let you boot from it and give it full write access.

I tried installing your new negalite the same way as I do the old version and at the end of the install procedure I get an error about set permissions. After that - reboot, wipe dalvik, reboot - it just reboots into recovery. I tried many times with SmartFlash enabled and disabled. I go back and install r121 with no problems.

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
I tried installing your new negalite the same way as I do the old version and at the end of the install procedure I get an error about set permissions. After that - reboot, wipe dalvik, reboot - it just reboots into recovery. I tried many times with SmartFlash enabled and disabled. I go back and install r121 with no problems.
Here. Try this
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23578570567720169

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Philz recovery not working well for 3d, I use 4ext or my unofficial twrp.

Main Version is older.
    Update Fail!
    Press <POWER> to reboot.

D33z

what can I help you do?

Does your unofficial twrp support SELinux? I am assuming it does but just checking. Is it available for download and if so where?
    here's the thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2831444

Unlocked for custom, locked for stock.

Here is unknownforce ultimate tool,
    there was a live cd version made for windows users scared of linux.
    I use tiny core linux for this, Ubuntu tries to mount all the partitions and you only have a 5 second window when they are writeable. I have used Ubuntu, at first, but preferred tinycore.
    But first you are going to need to get stock.zip to install.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1653777

I would do fastboot boot recovery.img

Then install negalite, so atless you can boot the phone

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

here is 4ext recovery I would use this one first until you get used to things, best recovery for 3d.