FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Fairphone?

I already own a Fairphone (FP).

46 Vote(s)
86.79%
I ordered or consider to buy a FP.

5 Vote(s)
9.43%
No FP for me yet, but the idea is interesting.

2 Vote(s)
3.77%
Fair? Nothing in life is fair.

0 Vote(s)
0%

Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

1,148 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,680

By benkxda, Senior Member on 13th July 2013, 03:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th August 2014, 04:15 PM |#711  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _keesj

To make things a little more tangible I did a ride in the car. I installed osmtracker (from the f-droid repository) on Fairphones and one Galaxy SII http://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/#DgLGaXXF

Thanks for the test!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredflegel

Yery good idea! What i think is interesting is the difference in elevation in Fairphone and S2. It would be great to include a pro gps device in the comparison to see which device is more correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haffenloher

Mediatek's GPS usually provides wrong elevation data if I'm not mistaken, so probably the S2 is more correct.

In fact the elevation data from the various fairphones is a lot better than the S2, at least in this test:
  • Amsterdam average elevation is 2m so the ~60m of the S2 seem quite off.
  • On http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation you can upload any gps track and view the SRTM elevation profile corresponding to the stored coordinates. The values are around 0-5 meters and not around 60.
  • I used the gpsvisualizer site to replace the coordinates in the galaxy s ii track with the correct srtm elevation values and added this to another gps view: http://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/#LemYkE5y

In summary the fairphone gps elevation looks quite good (keeping in mind that the vertical accuracy of gps will always be worse than the horizontal).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _tmp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _tmp Ad-Free
17th August 2014, 04:58 PM |#712  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
This is what I get using GPS. Sometimes it's ok, but most of the time the fairphone is 20-50 meters off. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1408287525401.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  54.0 KB
18th August 2014, 09:16 AM |#713  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiag

Hey @keesj

Last time, when using my FP in the car and having GPS fixed, when putting in the charger to the cigarette lighter it lost the gos signal after approx. 30 sec, when disconnecting it found it again.

I tried it 2-3 times.

Anyone else can confirm this?

Sent from my FP1 using XDA Free mobile app

i can confirm this but once i got a fix ( plugged off) it seems to work also when i re-plug the Charger in..
18th August 2014, 02:15 PM |#714  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Hi,

[QUOTE=ralf_xda;54718414]
Quote:

We might also have other options (like hosting the EPO ourself) but I think it is necessary to also understand that MTK is also trying. I think we will be able to fix this with MTK.

No need to host the epo file yourself. please have a look at this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=86

The ftp download server is hard coded in com/mediatek/epo/MtkEpoClientManagerService.smali (/system/framework/mediatek-framework.odex).
This patch changes the address from epo.mediatek.com to epodownload.mediatek.com and the download method from ftp to http which gives a perfect download speed with success on the first try.

Nevertheless I cannot see any improvements in TTFF with a fresh epo.dat file and EPO enabled.

I did some more testing with a build that fixed the EPO download. What I did was to disable APGS and test EPO based quickfix only. While EPO data will remain valid for way longer (one month v.s. 4 hours for AGPS data) getting an initial fix is slower (e.g. 45 seconds) v.s. a few seconds up to 15 with AGPS.

So:
-Enabling EPO can be useful when going on a roadtrip but expect a slower fix (e.g. 45 seconds)
-Using AGPS is critical to get good performance.(fix within 15 seconds).
-Disabling EPO is the thing to do when you are connected

*note/bugs*: It looks like just disabling EPO is not enough to get a quicker fix is you enabled EPO previousely. You also need to remove the EPO files (/data/misc/EPO.DAT and /data/misc/EPOHAL.DAT) to experience the AGPS quickfix.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _keesj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _keesj Ad-Free
19th August 2014, 09:10 AM |#715  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:

*note/bugs*: It looks like just disabling EPO is not enough to get a quicker fix is you enabled EPO previousely. You also need to remove the EPO files (/data/misc/EPO.DAT and /data/misc/EPOHAL.DAT) to experience the AGPS quickfix.

Are you saying that AGPS only "kicks in" when EPO is completely disabled?
19th August 2014, 09:57 AM |#716  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrgn

Are you saying that AGPS only "kicks in" when EPO is completely disabled?

This is what it looks like to me yes but I have no proof yet.
19th August 2014, 10:00 AM |#717  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
That would explain why the GPS seems to suck so much... Especially in the car. And as long as I'm in a urban / semi-urban area, quick fixes are much more important than long-term predictions.
30th August 2014, 05:43 PM |#718  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,124

More
Teaser...

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409413399919.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  44.9 KB
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to chrmhoffmann For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chrmhoffmann Ad-Free
30th August 2014, 07:06 PM |#719  
Flag NANTES
Thanks Meter: 564

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimHansenDenmark

The bootloader for now is the standard bootloader from MediaTek. We didn't change it.

In regards to the UART, I have forwarded the request to the ChangHong engineer and I will respond when I know more about the kernel driver.

Is there any news about uart ? I wonder where I should probe it on the board.

I got pics : http://goo.gl/A1zPQD

Faea F2S, uart is on TX/RX/GND

But what's about Fairphone ? There is UTX*/URX*, is this the uart ?
30th August 2014, 11:14 PM |#720  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Nice. CM would be awesome.
31st August 2014, 01:11 AM |#721  
Flag NANTES
Thanks Meter: 564

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu_26

Nice. CM would be awesome.

Please let this thread be a tech discussion, just use button thanks.

I got more information there : http://droiddevice.ru/download/mtk65...Brief_v0.2.pdf

It seems URXD1 is RX for uart1 (same for others pins, UTXD1 = TX uart1)

Now I need to locate GND pin and I wonder what is the UTXD1 pin (check the picture, it seems confusing a bit)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)