[HOWTO] Alternate Unbricking Method

Search This thread

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
This unbricking method requires that you have adb working and have root access.

First, download the latest system update for your device.
For the 7" HDX, they are posted at
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201357190.
For the 8.9" HDX, they are posted at
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201357220.

Now, please note that I DO NOT have a Kindle Fire HDX, so if this doesn't work, let me know and I will remove it immediately.

Try these commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /cache
mkdir /cache/recovery
echo install /cache/kindleupdate.bin > /cache/recovery/openrecoveryscript
chmod 0777 /cache/recovery/openrecoveryscript
exit
exit
adb push your-downloaded-update.bin /cache/kindleupdate.bin
adb reboot recovery

The only thing that you have to do is replace "your-downloaded-update.bin" with the path to your downloaded update. (To make it easier and avoid typos, I always just drag and drop the file into the terminal/command prompt window.)

Please also note that IT IS OKAY if the command "mkdir /cache/recovery" fails, as long as the error message says file already exists or something along those lines.

If this helped you repair your beloved HDX, feel free to hit that "Thanks" button.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201357220.

Now, please note that I DO NOT have a Kindle Fire HDX, so if this doesn't work, let me know and I will remove it immediately.

Try these commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
mkdir /cache/recovery
exit
exit
adb reboot recovery

The only thing that you have to do is replace "your-downloaded-update.bin" with the path to your downloaded update. (To make it easier and avoid typos, I always just drag and drop the file into the terminal/command prompt window.)

Please also note that IT IS OKAY if the command "mkdir /cache/recovery" fails, as long as the error message says file already exists or something along those lines.

If this helped you repair your beloved HDX, feel free to hit that "Thanks" button.

Nice. Never thought of the simple echo install. Sometimes I think having the device can be a hindrance. You tend to focus on problems, even at the expense of finding solutions. This should be the way EVERYONE with adb access recovers. Really nothing in here that could cause further issue! I like that.

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
Nice. Never thought of the simple echo install. Sometimes I think having the device can be a hindrance. You tend to focus on problems, even at the expense of finding solutions. This should be the way EVERYONE with adb access recovers. Really nothing in here that could cause further issue! I like that.
Thanks. I thought about adding a wipe system command, but if the download was corrupted, they'd be screwed. So I left it out.

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
I went ahead and added another command to the OP that may/may not help. It couldn't possibly cause any harm, though. Has anyone actually tried and confirmed this to be working?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ali Ejea Mc

dcoig1

Dec 23, 2013
When I try this, I send adb reboot recovery, the device restarts but says it failed to boot, and gives the options: "reset to factory defaults" or reboot. Is this different than factory reset or is it the same as factory reset. I know we aren't supposed to do a factory reset right?

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

I just realized that it failed to copy the update .bin file. After a long time it said failed to copy file: Permission denied

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
When I try this, I send adb reboot recovery, the device restarts but says it failed to boot, and gives the options: "reset to factory defaults" or reboot. Is this different than factory reset or is it the same as factory reset. I know we aren't supposed to do a factory reset right?

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

I just realized that it failed to copy the update .bin file. After a long time it said failed to copy file: Permission denied
Are you sure you have root?

Reactions: dcoig1

dcoig1

Dec 23, 2013

I am sure that the device was rooted before the bootloop condition. I can enter 'adb shell' and then 'su' with no problem from a command prompt. However, I do not think that we are superuser when we use the command 'adb push' from the commandline unless we use 'adb root' first and it won't let me do that. When i enter 'adb root' from the command prompt I get the response: "adbd cannot run as root in production builds"

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
I am sure that the device was rooted before the bootloop condition. I can enter 'adb shell' and then 'su' with no problem from a command prompt. However, I do not think that we are superuser when we use the command 'adb push' from the commandline unless we use 'adb root' first and it won't let me do that. When i enter 'adb root' from the command prompt I get the response: "adbd cannot run as root in production builds"

Hmmmm. Try pushing it to /sdcard and change the path in your echo command to reflect that.

dcoig1

Dec 23, 2013
I am guessing that somehow the /cache/kindleupdate.bin is in a secure area that we cannot push to. Is there any area that we can push to? It seems we may have to push somewhere else and then move into the secured area using adb shell with su permission like here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1687590&page=5

but we don't have an sdcard with our devices.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

we actually do have an sdcard directory though... i will try to push there

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

so i pushed the update file to the /sdcard/ directory then moved the file to the /cache/ directory, then renamed to kindleupdate.bin . Still does not help the system recovery issue. When I enter 'adb reboot recovery' it brings up a screen which says:
"Kindle Fire System Recovery
Your Kindle doesn't seem to be able to boot.
Reseting your device to Factory defaults may
help you to fix this issue.

Volume up/down to move highlight;
power button to select.
------------------------------------
Reboot your Kindle
Reset to Factory Defaults
-------------------------------------

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

If it makes any difference I am not bricked at the grey kindle logo but the white and orange. It just keeps refreshing the animation over and over... nothing seems to ever happen. What should I normally see when I boot to recovery? An extra option to update or something?

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
No. What I meant was try pushing it to /sdcard then changing the echo command to reflect that.

dcoig1

Dec 23, 2013
so then:

adb shell
su
mkdir /cache/recovery
echo install /sdcard/kindleupdate.bin > /cache/recovery/openrecoveryscript
exit
exit
adb push your-downloaded-update.bin /sdcard/kindleupdate.bin
adb reboot recovery

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
so then:

adb shell
su
mkdir /cache/recovery
exit
exit
adb reboot recovery
Yes. Try that.
EDIT: Wait. It'll probably say permission denied or some other lame error, so add
mount -o rw,remount /data
After the cache remount then change everything that references "/sdcard/" to "/data/media/0/". :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jimyv

dcoig1

Dec 23, 2013
That didn't work either. I keep getting the same result. I don't get errors using the sdcard directory though either, but I also tried with data/media/0. No errors, just doesn't work for me.

fratcn

Jun 29, 2014
so do i.

adb push "bin" to sdcard can work,but after reboot recovery,
only show on screen like this:

Kindle Fire System Recovery
Your Kindle doesn't seem to be able to boot.
Reseting your device to Factory defaults may
help you to fix this issue.

Volume up/down to move highlight;
power button to select.
------------------------------------
Reboot your Kindle
Reset to Factory Defaults
-------------------------------------

Aug 2, 2014
I tried a different approach.

adb shell
su
adb remount
mkdir "/data/media/0/Updates
exit
exit
adb push C:\update-kindle-13.3.2.4_user_324002120.bin "/data/media/0/Updates/update-kindle-13.3.2.4_user_324002120.bin

Last edited:

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
Reactions: Faznx92

zhable

Aug 10, 2013
www.cobaltunlock.com
Unbrick my Kindle :)

Sorry to interrupt, but my kindle fire HDX 7" is also bricked, I can not get past the gray "Kindle Fire" screen, I can get into fastboot. My device is not detected in ADB. Is there any hope for my kindle or is it dead?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Try these commands:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mkdir /cache/recovery
    chmod 0777 /cache/recovery/openrecoveryscript
    exit
    exit
    adb reboot recovery

Not really. Not nearly as useful as the KFHD's. No useful commands work.

And did this help you unbrick your device?

Nope. Ended up wasting half a weekend on it.

I just sent it back and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab. Now I have GPS and IR in addition to a device that works like a Droid device should.
    I went ahead and added another command to the OP that may/may not help. It couldn't possibly cause any harm, though. Has anyone actually tried and confirmed this to be working?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

so then:

adb shell
    su
    mkdir /cache/recovery
    exit
    exit
    adb reboot recovery
    Yes. Try that.
    EDIT: Wait. It'll probably say permission denied or some other lame error, so add
    mount -o rw,remount /data
    After the cache remount then change everything that references "/sdcard/" to "/data/media/0/". :)