[Q] Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3-SCH-I535-Unlocking

Search This thread

Southern66

Aug 5, 2013
I am by far no where near the caliber of technology that lie within this web site, however, I am simply trying to get some direction regarding my S3.

I purchased it from Verizon-2 yrs ago, contract expired 7/8/13; did not renew. I went with Consumer Cellular (more fitting for the older generation) but my S3 WON'T WORK ON THEIR NETWORK!

I have spent the last 3 weeks doing research on this phone to see if it can be 'unlocked' to work with a another carrier. The phone is like brand new and I don't want to get rid of it, I'd prefer to use it with the new carrier.

Is there anyone who can give me some direction to this issue? Can the phone infact be "unlocked' to work with Consumer, it has the Verizon SIM card in it, I was able to root it, successfully, now if I can just get it unlocked. Had to purchase another phone so that I would not be without phone service while I work on trying to get this one unlocked.

I've been told it can't because Verizon is a CDMA carrier and Consumer is a GSM..if this in fact true than I've no options but to sell the phone.

I do have "Preferred Network Mode' and it gives me the following options, Global, LTE/CDMA & GSM/UMTS.

Any help, directions or information would be greatly appreciated. With my thanks to all those who have taken the time to read this post.

david_hume

Jan 25, 2012
The Land of the Ninjas
I am by far no where near the caliber of technology that lie within this web site, however, I am simply trying to get some direction regarding my S3.

I purchased it from Verizon-2 yrs ago, contract expired 7/8/13; did not renew. I went with Consumer Cellular (more fitting for the older generation) but my S3 WON'T WORK ON THEIR NETWORK!

I have spent the last 3 weeks doing research on this phone to see if it can be 'unlocked' to work with a another carrier. The phone is like brand new and I don't want to get rid of it, I'd prefer to use it with the new carrier.

Is there anyone who can give me some direction to this issue? Can the phone infact be "unlocked' to work with Consumer, it has the Verizon SIM card in it, I was able to root it, successfully, now if I can just get it unlocked. Had to purchase another phone so that I would not be without phone service while I work on trying to get this one unlocked.

I've been told it can't because Verizon is a CDMA carrier and Consumer is a GSM..if this in fact true than I've no options but to sell the phone.

I do have "Preferred Network Mode' and it gives me the following options, Global, LTE/CDMA & GSM/UMTS.

Any help, directions or information would be greatly appreciated. With my thanks to all those who have taken the time to read this post.

How did you get this phone 2 years ago? It barely came out a little more than a year ago.

Next, you can unlock it, but only if you pay for the full retail for the phone and then contact Verizon about what you want to do and then get an unlock code. After that, you're going to need a SIM card from Consumer Cellular.

There shouldn't be a problem with radio frequencies since the Verizon GS3 is a global phone. So the SIM card should work after you get it set up.

If I'm wrong in some aspect, someone feel free to correct me.

sent from my Infected Bonestock GS3

djteotancolis

How did you get this phone 2 years ago? It barely came out a little more than a year ago.

Next, you can unlock it, but only if you pay for the full retail for the phone and then contact Verizon about what you want to do and then get an unlock code. After that, you're going to need a SIM card from Consumer Cellular.

There shouldn't be a problem with radio frequencies since the Verizon GS3 is a global phone. So the SIM card should work after you get it set up.

In regards to Unlocking the phone, the phone is unlocked out of the box, you just pop in your sim and select GSM mode! you have to set the APN for DATA yourself tho!

Southern66

Aug 5, 2013
Galaxy s3 sCH-I535

Hi:

I do not recall the date of purchase but know that when I purchased it I had to sign for a 2 yr contract with Verizon..that contract was up July 8,2013.

That is not important, what is important is to find out if in fact the phone can be unlocked, VERIZON swears it is unlocked so they are not going to be of any use to me to get their help. It is up to me to find someone who can unlock this phone via a cable. The code places I have contacted can't come up with a code, they have instructed me that it needs to be done with a cable.

As I stated, I am simply trying to get the phone unlocked to use on Consumer Celluar, of which I am already a memeber and have the SIM card activated on another SAMSUNG phone of which I had to buy.

I do not have to buy the phone outright, as the phone is paid for, thus the 2 yr contract. the phone is mine, but as long as it is in the state it is now, I can only use it on VERIZON.

The I535 has a sim card in it from Verizon, when I take out the Verizon SIM card and put in the Consumer SIM card I get the message, "this is a non verizon SIM card.

I am researching this everyday to find out if IT CAN BE UNLOCKED, AND #2 WHO CAN I GET TO UNLOCK IT? Verizon went so far as to tell me that all the person needs is a USB cable and PC...how true this is, I don't know.

Thank You

djteotancolis

Hi:

I do not recall the date of purchase but know that when I purchased it I had to sign for a 2 yr contract with Verizon..that contract was up July 8,2013.

That is not important, what is important is to find out if in fact the phone can be unlocked, VERIZON swears it is unlocked so they are not going to be of any use to me to get their help. It is up to me to find someone who can unlock this phone via a cable. The code places I have contacted can't come up with a code, they have instructed me that it needs to be done with a cable.

As I stated, I am simply trying to get the phone unlocked to use on Consumer Celluar, of which I am already a memeber and have the SIM card activated on another SAMSUNG phone of which I had to buy.

I do not have to buy the phone outright, as the phone is paid for, thus the 2 yr contract. the phone is mine, but as long as it is in the state it is now, I can only use it on VERIZON.

The I535 has a sim card in it from Verizon, when I take out the Verizon SIM card and put in the Consumer SIM card I get the message, "this is a non verizon SIM card.

I am researching this everyday to find out if IT CAN BE UNLOCKED, AND #2 WHO CAN I GET TO UNLOCK IT? Verizon went so far as to tell me that all the person needs is a USB cable and PC...how true this is, I don't know.

Thank You

Verizon is right by saying its unlocked, and thats the most anyone can help you, if you are going to try unlocking the phone by cable, you might as well throw money down the drain! and 2 you need to update to the MF1 software! as MB1 and MD3 would tell you its non verizon sim card, but even on that update if you put the phone in GSM mode in Network settings the phone should work fine for calling and texting!

static.chaos73

Dec 31, 2009
SIM

Did you get the free Consumer Cellular SIM yet? Your post said you have rooted and have the Verizon SIM, and you can't get on CC network without their SIM card.

The phone is already "unlocked" for global/GSM use with the JB update, so you should be able to just pop in a SIM card from CC and change settings (they should provide you with this info).

Phoneowner

Sep 10, 2012
A lot of ppl are saying the Verizon GS3 is already unlocked, but when i pop in my metro pcs sim card and switch network to cdma, nothing happens. What would I have to do to make it work with this metro carrier?

PisceanVenus

Dec 2, 2013
No Data, No Voice, No SMS

Hi. Im also having the same issue. I have a Verizon GS3 that was originally running 4.0.4, VRALHE. I rooted, updated the baseband to MF1, and installed RLS16 of Hyperdrive, so I now am on 4.1.2. I have the option to go GSM or Global, but when I put in my MetroPCS sim, I get nothing. It prompts me for Global, but I cant make calls or send sms. I also put in the APN and no data as well. Anyone know whatbI should do next? I have an IMEI, it doesnt appear to be lost, and I have tried the phone info app, as well as trying to go through the secret menu, the network lock menu is blank. :(

Kygies27

Jul 23, 2014
Hey, I got the same problem, and considering how it's been a while since the last post I wonder if there is any new news on this front. Thanx!

P.s: It came preinstalled with 4.3 stock, not rooted yet. I have the option to instal 4.4.2 via Kies {PDA:NE1 / PHONE:NE1 / CSC:NE1 (VZW)}.

Last edited:

Kygies27

Jul 23, 2014
Update here:
I digged into some settings and found that switching it into either Global or GSM seems to make the phone capable of voice calls.
Idk about 3G, I did manually type in the APN settings, but I never use anything other than wifi because internet here is expensive unless you go with one of their plans.

So if you haven't tried it, on 4.3 go to settings, under wireless and networks select 'More Settings', Mobile Networks, Network Mode.
Worked for me, although I still get "Non-Verizon SIM" in the notifications bar and it looks like my signal is a bit weaker than before. But still works.

w1n73rf3ll

Jul 17, 2013
Espaillat
guys you are wrong

guys there is no way metropcs, Boost mobile or sprint networks Work cause these are CDMA carriers and verizon and the other CDMA Carriers has a different activation way on Verizon smartphones the GSM module(gsm networks as well) come unlocked for foreigner carriers even the GSM US carriers(AT&T or TMOBILE) sometimes doesnt work hope that info help