[Note 3] GPS Hardware Fix [Pics] [Instructions] [Potentially any Note 3 model]

Search This thread

SchecterRocker

Dec 5, 2010
Its funny that this Fix has to be done. I was the OP for the original Note 1's GPS fix doing this same exact thing. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33691750 Good write up and fix!

No way, ha that's crazy. Even our wording sounds similar, and I had no idea someone else already figured it out on the Note 1. Thanks for pointing that out, and for the compliment.

I'll try to get the OP updated with new success numbers when I can. Thanks again everyone for reporting back!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app

vibrantboss

Jan 13, 2011
Thanks guys for your insight

!!!!!! NINE (9) GPS's REPORTED SUCCESSFULLY FIXED !!!!!!! (3 more added within 24hrs!)

For TL;DR - start at [[ WILL THIS HELP YOU? ]]

This ABSOLUTELY fixed my AT&T Note 3's GPS. However:

:::: DISCLAIMER :::: I had an unusual chain of events leading up to this fix. I hope it fixes your Note 3's GPS, but there's really no way to tell - unless you decide to try it. It may not help you at all. So, what have you got to lose? Well, take a look at [[ WILL THIS HELP YOU? ]] and [[ RISKS ]].

[[ INTRO ]]

If you're here, most likely your Note 3's GPS doesn't work, and you're desperate like I was for a fix. Here's the chain of events that led to my fix:
1. Got AT&T Note 3 - **out of the box** it had the 'blurry' camera issue, but outstanding GPS (consistent 3 second satlock).
2. Sent Note 3 in for Samsung Warranty Repair to fix the 'blurry' camera.
3. Samsung fixed the camera.
4. Disappointingly, Samsung broke the GPS (by bending the 'leaf' pin circled RED in my pic below, I assume inadvertently during reassembly).
5. Got Note 3 back - camera fixed, GPS broken by Samsung.
6. After observing an iFixit teardown, I followed this chain of logic: A - Since Samsung replaced my camera, and B - the camera is separate from the main board that the GPS is on, then C - Samsung must have only replaced the camera, and left the GPS alone. D - Therefore, Samsung did not replace my exceptional GPS, that, sadly, is now broken. E - Something else must have broken the GPS. F - I read a thread suggesting that tightening the 12 screws on the back fixes the GPS, then G - I decided it's time to check on the leaf pins after looking at the iFixit teardown. Below is what I found.

[[ WILL THIS HELP YOU? ]]

Hopefully. I have no idea. Maybe. Decide if the [[ RISKS ]] are worth it to find out if one of your 'leaf' pins are bent or damaged (mine was bent by Samsung Warranty Repair, as explained above).

[ 1 ] Yes, if one of the 'leaf pins' is bent, dislodged, or otherwise not making contact.
[ 2 ] Yes, if one of the contacts that the leaf pins touch is oxidized. (Remove oxidation by scraping it off.)
--- Thanks to evilpotatoman for reporting this fix! ---
[ 3 ] Yes, if one of the 'leaf pins' is squished and is not pressing hard enough against the contact. (Bend "leaf pin" outward to make tighter contact.)
--- As suggested by evilpotatoman ---
Also, perhaps adding a small piece of stock paper under the offending leaf pin will make it keep contact better. ( !!!! Be careful - don't add too much paper, which could stress the pin or contact !!!! )
--- As suggested by superdookie67 ---

Let's be honest: since Samsung Warranty Repair dislodged my Note 3's leaf pin, isn't it plausible that a maybe even a few Note 3's shipped with bent leaf pins?

I'M WILLING TO BET YES. So please reply and let everyone know if this fixes it.

[[ RISKS ]] (Honestly, this is a pretty basic procedure. But here goes)

1. Potentially voiding warranty, though I have no idea how it can be proven (put some new Loctite on the screws afterward if you're paranoid.)
2. (Only a risk for those who are completely careless) Potential damage to internal equipment.
3. Losing 30 minutes of your life. Personally, I love tearing stuff apart whenever I have an excuse, so for me this wasn't a risk.

[[ INSTRUCTIONS ]] (See attached pics for details)

1. See your favorite teardown site for even more details. Remove the back cover, stylus, SIM, and microSD.
2. Remove the 12 Phillips screws on the back. They are sealed with Loctite, so don't damage your phone with too much force.
3. !!!Carefully!!! remove the inner plastic shell (clipped in).
3a. !!!Only lift up!!!, perpendicularly from the screen to avoid damaging the leaf pins.
3b. !!!Take your time!!! Gently open around the edges until all edges and clips are loose.
4. Observe the leaf pin locations shown below.
5. Samsung bent my leaf pin circled in RED below. This one is clearly related to the GPS, because bending it back restored my GPS to perfect functionality.
6. !!!!Extra Carefully!!!! bend the leaf pin back into position, if you find a dislocated leaf pin.
7. Replace the inner plastic shell, making sure to not damage the leaf pins.
8. Replace the 12 screws (with new Loctite, at your discretion).
9. Obviously, replace the SIM, microSD, stylus, and back cover.
10. Fire it up.

11. MOST IMPORTANTLY, reply back if this helps - maybe this is a fix for many of the Note 3's that shipped with terrible GPS reception.

I was having GPS issues aswell.... would attempt to connect and then drop... just out of curiosity, i took my gn3 apart and checked connection to GPS antenna - opened gap to make better connection - reassembled - it now connects, mostly 16 out 22 sat... plugged in charger - did not drop.. thanks for the info..

Reactions: SchecterRocker

SchecterRocker

Dec 5, 2010
Anyone know if this also effects compass usage? My GPS works fine all the time, but it's the compass that doesn't work 90% the time. I use the compass when I view google maps.

From everything I've gathered, this procedure will not fix compass issues. My compass also exhibits erratic behavior, and it always points a little sideways. I'd like to see a fix for this also.

I have a stock unrooted AT&T note 3 running on MetroPCS. I have terrible gps issues, almost never get a lock on any satellites. The Kitkat update didn't fix anything and neither does clearing the phones cache in the bottloader. So, running out of patients, I opened up my note 3 and unclipped every connection I could find on the motherboard including both ends of the blue antennae wire. Amazingly, after putting the hone back togehter, my gps suddenly started working great. But it only lasted about a week. So, I tried the same process again, this time it only lasted a couple of days. I have done this 4 times already and the last time it only worked for 2 days. The last time I did this I checked all the leaf clips and pulled them up slightly but it didn't help. I'm stumped. Anyone have any solution?

The only thing I can think is put some paper under the leaf pin to keep it pushed up, and clean off the leaf pin and the contact that the leaf pin touches. Others have suggested that the cases they use smash the leaf pins down too much. Or maybe your GPS unit itself is bad. Those are my best guesses.

Reactions: yedidi2006

Rukbat

Feb 15, 2012
Fayetteville NC
From everything I've gathered, this procedure will not fix compass issues. My compass also exhibits erratic behavior, and it always points a little sideways. I'd like to see a fix for this also.
The compass isn't connected to the GPS, it's a separate sensor. Any ferric metal (or current flowing through a conductor) coming near the phone will uncalibrate the compass, and you'll have to recalibrate it. (That's why good compasses are put in brass cases - soft metal, but not magnetic - with no electricity in them.)

If you want a compass and electronics in the same package, and the compass keeping calibration ... well, we don't have that technology yet - the electronics throws the compass calibration off.

yedidi2006

Mar 13, 2009
The only thing I can think is put some paper under the leaf pin to keep it pushed up, and clean off the leaf pin and the contact that the leaf pin touches. Others have suggested that the cases they use smash the leaf pins down too much. Or maybe your GPS unit itself is bad. Those are my best guesses.

Good news, it works!! I first tried your suggestion of putting paper under the leaf pins. I used some thin cardboard, I also cleaned the contacts on the back case. At first it didn't work. Then, one day last week, I tried using my gps. I was holding the phone funny and it starting working. I then noticed that if I squeezed the phone (thumb on the to right corner of the screen and index finger on the top right corner on the back) it would work. So I checked the screw in that corner of the phone and lo and behold, it was slightly loose. I tightened it up and my gps has been working better then it ever has.

But this got me thinking, why is this happening to so many phones? I believe this is a design flaw on Samsung's end. The gps antenna (and the leaf pins are in the top right corner (or left if you're looking from the back). That is the same spot where the little cut is for you to grab the cover with your finger nail to remove it to replace the battery, which I do almost every day and I'm sure many others do too. The constant outward pulling in that corner seems to loosen the screw or pull the casing up just enough for the pins to lose contact with the antenna on the back case. As least that's what seems to be the case with my phone. Tip: if you replace your battery often, open the cover from the bottom end by the micro usb port instead of from the top corner to put less stress on the gps anntena.

Last edited:

SdRasta

Mar 31, 2012
Good news, it works!! I first tried your suggestion of putting paper under the leaf pins. I used some thin cardboard, I also cleaned the contacts on the back case. At first it didn't work. Then, one day last week, I tried using my gps. I was holding the phone funny and it starting working. I then noticed that if I squeezed the phone (thumb on the to right corner of the screen and index finger on the top right corner on the back) it would work. So I checked the screw in that corner of the phone and lo and behold, it was slightly loose. I tightened it up and my gps has been working better then it ever has.

But this got me thinking, why is this happening to so many phones? I believe this is a design flaw on Samsung's end. The gps antenna (and the leaf pins are in the top right corner (or left if you're looking from the back). That is the same spot where the little cut is for you to grab the cover with your finger nail to remove it to replace the battery, which I do almost every day and I'm sure many others do too. The constant outward pulling in that corner seems to loosen the screw or pull the casing up just enough for the pins to lose contact with the antenna on the back case. As least that's what seems to be the case with my phone. Tip: if you replace your battery often, open the cover from the bottom end by the micro usb port instead of from the top corner to put less stress on the gps anntena.
Wow screws loose fixed my problem to lol.. All the cra* I went through

cwj0911

Oct 19, 2014
Reactions: DARKCHYLDX101

bert_xda

Dec 20, 2008

!!!!!! NINE (9) GPS's REPORTED SUCCESSFULLY FIXED !!!!!!! (3 more added within 24hrs!)

:::: DISCLAIMER :::: I had an unusual chain of events leading up to this fix. I hope it fixes your Note 3's GPS, but there's really no way to tell - unless you decide to try it. It may not help you at all. So, what have you got to lose? Well, take a look at [[ WILL THIS HELP YOU? ]] and [[ RISKS ]].

[[ INTRO ]]

If you're here, most likely your Note 3's GPS doesn't work, and you're desperate like I was for a fix. Here's the chain of events that led to my fix:
1. Got AT&T Note 3 - **out of the box** it had the 'blurry' camera issue, but outstanding GPS (consistent 3 second satlock).
4. Disappointingly, Samsung broke the GPS (by bending the 'leaf' pin circled RED in my pic below, I assume inadvertently during reassembly).
6. After observing an iFixit teardown, I followed this chain of logic: A - Since Samsung replaced my camera, and B - the camera is separate from the main board that the GPS is on, then C - Samsung must have only replaced the camera, and left the GPS alone. D - Therefore, Samsung did not replace my exceptional GPS, that, sadly, is now broken. E - Something else must have broken the GPS. F - I read a thread suggesting that tightening the 12 screws on the back fixes the GPS, then G - I decided it's time to check on the leaf pins after looking at the iFixit teardown. Below is what I found.

Hopefully. I have no idea. Maybe. Decide if the [[ RISKS ]] are worth it to find out if one of your 'leaf' pins are bent or damaged (mine was bent by Samsung Warranty Repair, as explained above).

[ 1 ] Yes, if one of the 'leaf pins' is bent, dislodged, or otherwise not making contact.
[ 2 ] Yes, if one of the contacts that the leaf pins touch is oxidized. (Remove oxidation by scraping it off.)
[ 3 ] Yes, if one of the 'leaf pins' is squished and is not pressing hard enough against the contact. (Bend "leaf pin" outward to make tighter contact.)
Also, perhaps adding a small piece of stock paper under the offending leaf pin will make it keep contact better. ( !!!! Be careful - don't add too much paper, which could stress the pin or contact !!!! )

Let's be honest: since Samsung Warranty Repair dislodged my Note 3's leaf pin, isn't it plausible that a maybe even a few Note 3's shipped with bent leaf pins?

1. Potentially voiding warranty, though I have no idea how it can be proven (put some new Loctite on the screws afterward if you're paranoid.)
2. (Only a risk for those who are completely careless) Potential damage to internal equipment.
3. Losing 30 minutes of your life. Personally, I love tearing stuff apart whenever I have an excuse, so for me this wasn't a risk.

1. See your favorite teardown site for even more details. Remove the back cover, stylus, SIM, and microSD.
2. Remove the 12 Phillips screws on the back. They are sealed with Loctite, so don't damage your phone with too much force.
3a. !!!Only lift up!!!, perpendicularly from the screen to avoid damaging the leaf pins.
3b. !!!Take your time!!! Gently open around the edges until all edges and clips are loose.
5. Samsung bent my leaf pin circled in RED below. This one is clearly related to the GPS, because bending it back restored my GPS to perfect functionality.
6. !!!!Extra Carefully!!!! bend the leaf pin back into position, if you find a dislocated leaf pin.
10. Fire it up.

11. MOST IMPORTANTLY, reply back if this helps - maybe this is a fix for many of the Note 3's that shipped with terrible GPS reception.

devilsdouble

Nov 26, 2013
New Delhi
@SchecterRocker: I am here, so yes, I am having issues with GPS, needless to say. Thanks for the topic, and the fix, but simply I am too scared to do that, not because I can't, but because I am not confident enough to do that neatly, I might break something in the process, I fear.

Now I am posting here to ask you one thing, before this fix, you were having problems with GPS, all right, now may I know how severe was the problem? I mean did you not get any fix at all, I mean not for once? Or did you get fix 50% time, but not the rest of the time.

I am having problems, but sometimes I get a fix within 30 seconds, but the very next time it might take 10 minutes! This is indoor by the way, outside I get lock within 30-60 seconds no matter what, was the case same for you?

SchecterRocker

Dec 5, 2010
@SchecterRocker: I am here, so yes, I am having issues with GPS, needless to say. Thanks for the topic, and the fix, but simply I am too scared to do that, not because I can't, but because I am not confident enough to do that neatly, I might break something in the process, I fear.

Now I am posting here to ask you one thing, before this fix, you were having problems with GPS, all right, now may I know how severe was the problem? I mean did you not get any fix at all, I mean not for once? Or did you get fix 50% time, but not the rest of the time.

I am having problems, but sometimes I get a fix within 30 seconds, but the very next time it might take 10 minutes! This is indoor by the way, outside I get lock within 30-60 seconds no matter what, was the case same for you?

You'll have to read my first post for details, but before I sent it in to fix the camera, my GPS was "perfect". To me, "perfect" means outside I have satlock within 2-4 seconds, 99.5% of the time (indoors is irrelevant to me, because I don't use it indoors). After I sent my phone to Samsung to fix the camera and Samsung bent my GPS pin, I simply could not get satlock at all. Maybe after a minute or two, I would lock on to one satellite, but definitely no satlock. So it was completely unusable. After applying this fix, my GPS is back to my definition of "perfect" (satlock within 2-4 seconds, 99.5% of the time).

30 seconds is simply not acceptable, much less 10 minutes. From my experience and the many others who have tried this, I would have to assume this would fix your problem (unless any ROMs or modifications to your phone are breaking it, in which case I can't comment).

I urge you to watch this video from 0:00-3:15 . It shows how simple this process really is. Honestly, this is a straightforward procedure, and you will (probably) benefit from a "perfect" GPS (I, of course, can't make any guarantees). All you need is a small phillips and a guitar pick. Phones like the Note 3 are specifically built to be easy to service for simple stuff like this, and I really think you should use that to your advantage. (Just be glad it's not the Note 2 - still not bad, but makes the Note 3 look like a piece of cake).

Anyway, at least watch the video. I think it will make your decision a lot easier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ntOfJS_1c

Reactions: kingdazy

Attila Ciftci

Nov 20, 2014
Hi there,

thanks for the instruction. It sorted my GPS which did not work after the repair of a broken screen through Samsung care center. And here is my concern: When I asked them to fix it they told me, after an inspection through the technician, that the main board needs to be exchanged and that I have to pay for it as my phone is an "international device"
I'd say they do it on purpose. Every customer which goes through that process gives them a free mainboard as they only have to bend that pin back. I believe that there is no way to bend that pin in such a way just by coincidence.

Thanks again a lot for the instructions!

SchecterRocker

Dec 5, 2010
Hi there,

thanks for the instruction. It sorted my GPS which did not work after the repair of a broken screen through Samsung care center. And here is my concern: When I asked them to fix it they told me, after an inspection through the technician, that the main board needs to be exchanged and that I have to pay for it as my phone is an "international device"
Id say they do it on purpose. Every customer which goes through that process gives them a free mainboard as they only have to bend that pin back. I believe that there is no way to bend that pin in such a way just by coincidence.

Thanks again a lot for the instructions!

I hadn't thought of that before, but it does make sense if they get a main board or of it. Man that's dirty if they do. I mean, that's Apple-keeping-iMessages-from-people-who-switched-from-iPhone dirty. :eek: *shudders*

DARKCHYLDX101

Jun 11, 2011
City of Sin
Thank you for your reply, I couldn't get the screwdriver but instead I kept on digging around on XDA and found this useful post here, http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/help/n9005-gps-fix-flashing-stock-s5-port-rom-t2827427 .

For those having note 3 and flashed a ported S5 rom can use this solutions to get gps fix :D
Holy crap! After many months of trying fixes. I must of taken apart this phone 3 times. Flash numerous roms. And other methods. This one actually works! Confirmed using gps test. Thanks man my Note 3 is whole again!

I've made an instructions thread for Att Note 3 in general.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=56982923

Last edited:

LaurentR

Feb 3, 2005
Holy crap! After many months of trying fixes. I must of taken apart this phone 3 times. Flash numerous roms. And other methods. This one actually works! Confirmed using gps test. Thanks man my Note 3 is whole again!

I've made an instructions thread for Att Note 3 in general.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=56982923

Same here. I had a perfectly functional GPS and it went bad pretty much overnight with constant lost signal, hard to lock... Had tried all kinds of ROMs and sw GPS fixes to no avail. I was ready to change phone when I gave the hw method a try. My springs and the contact points looked 100% fine. I scratched the pads a bit, lifted all the springs a bit, put everything together and voila, fully functional GPS again. Thanks a million.

Now if I could just fix my !@#$%^&* compass...

BTW, for those intimidated by the hw part, it really is straightforward. A dozen easy screws to remove. Need a thing plastic something (e.g. a credit card) to help pull the cover off, a small flat screwdriver to lift the pins and that's it. Really not scary at all.

DARKCHYLDX101

Jun 11, 2011
City of Sin
The service mode fix is what really got my GPS back. I lost it flashing an ota meant for another device on a rom built for our device. I must of chosen the wrong ota or something. Anyways I believe your method did help my GPS lock on faster. Thanks!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

!!! 25+ ESTIMATED SUCCESSES!!! (Either reported or from thanks on this post)

[[ INTRO ]]

[4] Yes, if a screw is loose. This may happen if you remove the back cover frequently, which loosens the screw that keeps a solid connection between the leaf pin and contact near the back cover fingernail hole.
    --- As suggested by yedidi2006 ---

10. Fire it up.

.. Have a UK note 3, and the GPS has got worse and worse until a few days ago it couldnt even get a fix outside in a field.

I simply tightened all screws under battery cover (without further disassembly), and it fixed it. I can now get a fix on a moving train at 70mph+

Might be worth trying that before a more intrusive disassembly if your GPS is not working well

Very happy :)

g
    Nope, I looked in and my 'leaf' pins were all properly shaped. I even slightly bent it to look more like yours, and still having GPS issues.
    YES! I had absolutely no GPS, popped open the phone - the leaf was already bent back as in your "after" picture, but I just propped it up to get better connection, and now I finally have a GPS signal, 13/25 satellites within 30 seconds of my first test. Thank you so much for posting this.
    Thanks!

I was suffering from little to no GPS fix. Opened it up per your instructions to find that my gps pin wasn't bent, but the terminal to which it contacts was oxidized. I bent the pin up to ensure a tight fit and I marred the terminal with a razor to remove the oxidation. My GPS works flawlessly now.