FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Excessive Battery Drain on Airplane Mode

420 posts
Thanks Meter: 79
 
By flamingspartan3, Senior Member on 26th May 2014, 12:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
My Infuse 4G is always on Airplane Mode with Wifi turned on. I use it as a secondary device and like an iPod Touch/Media Player. However, even if Airplane Mode is on, the number one drainer of battery is Cell Standby at like 60-70%. Also, the phone never enters deep sleep and Android OS constantly keeps the device awake. As a result, from a 100%, the phone is dead within 8 hours. There has got to be some sort of fix for this. I'm running the latest Beanstalk 4.4.285.


P.S. I have entered AppOpps and denied the permissions to wake up and stay awake to the following apps: Google Search, Google Play Services and Android System.
 
 
27th May 2014, 02:01 PM |#2  
Fullmetal Jun's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Camp Kidney
Thanks Meter: 169
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by niral7

My Infuse 4G is always on Airplane Mode with Wifi turned on. I use it as a secondary device and like an iPod Touch/Media Player. However, even if Airplane Mode is on, the number one drainer of battery is Cell Standby at like 60-70%. Also, the phone never enters deep sleep and Android OS constantly keeps the device awake. As a result, from a 100%, the phone is dead within 8 hours. There has got to be some sort of fix for this. I'm running the latest Beanstalk 4.4.285.


P.S. I have entered AppOpps and denied the permissions to wake up and stay awake to the following apps: Google Search, Google Play Services and Android System.

Try rebooting. A custom launcher may be a culprit! Apex Nova Go are reliable! Do a clean flash again!
There must be an app which is running in background! Try deleting a recently installed app, try clearing cache of google+. Try uninstalling anti viruses which are useless in a phone. Install an app called Greenify in Play Store. Greenify most of your installed apps with it. It really boost battery life.
Change governor in performance to either Interactive or OnDemand.
1st June 2014, 12:05 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 92
 
More
And if you want, go into phone info (by dialing *#*#4636*#*#) scroll down to the button that says turn radio off, and that keeps the cell radio off.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Free mobile app
12th June 2014, 09:54 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Sorry for the super late reply. I use Nova Launcher and I have greenified a ton of apps and Google services. Also, switching to CarbonROM helps. However, my phone NEVER goes into Deep Sleep. In Trickster Mod, Deep Sleep is one of UNUSED states. What is causing this? I also have airplane mode enabled and WiFi running.
13th June 2014, 06:20 PM |#5  
Member
Flag Apple Valley
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Some apps are not properly closed out when you exited it. I had to force close some of them. Not sure if this is happening with other people. Go into: Settings > Applications > Manage applications or Running services open apps that you recently open/closed. If Force stop light up it mean the app still running. I'm aware that some apps remain running due to user setup for it to check for update. The app I'm referring to shouldn't since update is turned off or in manual update mode.
26th July 2014, 05:35 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Bump +

I have pretty much run out of options. I have no idea why my battery drains even in airplane mode. Supposedly it is because of "cell standby".

EDIT: If I can solve this issue, I can put my Infuse to good use again. Unfortunately, I can't use a phone for anything if its battery dies in 8 hours while idling in airplane mode.
9th September 2014, 11:43 PM |#7  
bmiles's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by niral7

Bump +

I have pretty much run out of options. I have no idea why my battery drains even in airplane mode. Supposedly it is because of "cell standby".

EDIT: If I can solve this issue, I can put my Infuse to good use again. Unfortunately, I can't use a phone for anything if its battery dies in 8 hours while idling in airplane mode.

Same here~ i just bought an 3.7V 3500mAh Li-ion extended battery off of amazon for under $10 and since the original is 1750 mAh battery im hoping it is going to do some noticable good. Nonetheless, the problem still remains so please if you (or anyone) should discover any breakthroughs than SHARE with us too... please! Thank you kindly <3
18th May 2017, 12:19 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Try rebooting, it will help. Try force stop and disable the both "Google Search" apps in app manager (first maybe called "Google App" if you updated it). Guys please keep me updated with this because I'm so confused. It is so stupid and without any kind of tiny logic for the battery drain on AIRPLANE mode that turns off all radios and waves............
12th June 2017, 03:23 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by velizarcho123

Try rebooting, it will help. Try force stop and disable the both "Google Search" apps in app manager (first maybe called "Google App" if you updated it). Guys please keep me updated with this because I'm so confused. It is so stupid and without any kind of tiny logic for the battery drain on AIRPLANE mode that turns off all radios and waves............

It's been a long time since I made this post lol. I've figured out that the cellular radios are not turning off when airplane mode is enabled. It might be a bug in KitKat ROMs. I'm going back to Gingerbread and checking if it works there.
12th June 2017, 05:14 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by velizarcho123

Try rebooting, it will help. Try force stop and disable the both "Google Search" apps in app manager (first maybe called "Google App" if you updated it). Guys please keep me updated with this because I'm so confused. It is so stupid and without any kind of tiny logic for the battery drain on AIRPLANE mode that turns off all radios and waves............

Alright, I switched to Gingerbread and Airplane Mode works fine there. The (really old) battery drained 10% overnight in Airplane Mode which seems acceptable for its age. The phone was in deep sleep the whole time and there were no wakelocks. Cell Standby did not cause battery drain. I think there's a bug in KitKat that is preventing cellular radios from shutting off. I also found that the phone does not heat up as much in Gingerbread and many popular apps (Spotify, YouTube, Google Maps) still work. I would recommend trying it out if you want the Infuse as a side device.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
airplane mode, battery, drain, sleep, standby

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes