Nook Color Wireless Inductive Charging

1,004 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,186

Post Reply Email Thread
21st October 2012, 01:47 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Basic questions on this mod
Love this mod but not sure I completely understand it...

1. Is the Verizon device the Qi charger?
2. Is the photo of where to solder on the nook still available? If so where?
3. What gauge is the wire used?
4. What happens if the USB high amperage charger on at the same time as the induction coil is used?
5. Has anyone tried to source the (Qi) induction coils in bulk? Any chance a Fry's would stock them?

13th November 2012, 10:18 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrull

Love this mod but not sure I completely understand it...

1. Is the Verizon device the Qi charger?
2. Is the photo of where to solder on the nook still available? If so where?
3. What gauge is the wire used?
4. What happens if the USB high amperage charger on at the same time as the induction coil is used?
5. Has anyone tried to source the (Qi) induction coils in bulk? Any chance a Fry's would stock them?

Kinda forgot about this project...

1. I believe that the energizer charger I have is based on the Qi standard of induction charging. It’s been a while since I looked it up but either way I got a charger that was “standard” so that I could use it for later.
2. I provided the link to full resolution photos in my first post. ttp://i42.tinypic.com/110hu03.jpg (just add the “H” in http). Pretty simple, + voltage from the resistor and a ground to the shield of the connector.
3. Pretty sure I used 30 gauge wire. Not sure if it’s the right choice buts it’s what I had on hand that was thin enough.
4. Don’t know.. I consider this an either or charging method. Plan was to embed the charger base into a larger piece of wood for ease. Would have allowed for ease alignment.
5. I believe the important part is that the coil and base provide the appropriate voltage. I ended up using the blackberry induction charger back that I picked up from verizion on sale for less than $10 and the single energizer induction charger. don’t know if there is a benefit of using a premade cell phone induction charger or just sourcing the coil but I assumed that the cell phone charger would be safer. I assume the extra components are there for a reason.

Hope this heps
27th July 2013, 02:44 AM |#23  
houston
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I suppose I under stand why you did it that way but I wouldn't have gone to the micro USB port I'm planning on going to the cable on the battery and testing before assembly ;

Got any up close pics or should I take some with the microscope I have
my parts are ordered
15th September 2014, 03:03 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
wanted to thank you for this.

revived a nook color whose charging port was loose and i was getting tired of replacing nook cables at 15 bucks a pop because of the special 12pin charging.. got a new qi wireless from amazon and ran the wires out through a newly made hole in the back, and placed the qi between the charger and the nook's trident case. fast charging than standard microusb since it still may be getting ~1amp wirelessly from a 2amp+qi base. will verify once i find a decent rom to replace

the nook had been sitting around for almost 6 months because of the charging hassles.. and i should have done this mod long time ago even without wireless charging as this method also be used to completely replace the usage of the 12pin and have a charging microusb port hanging somewhere near/glued on the case so you dont have to have the original nook cable and still get 2amp charge through a standard microusb charger/cable.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)