Originally Posted by kkrull
Love this mod but not sure I completely understand it...
1. Is the Verizon device the Qi charger?
2. Is the photo of where to solder on the nook still available? If so where?
3. What gauge is the wire used?
4. What happens if the USB high amperage charger on at the same time as the induction coil is used?
5. Has anyone tried to source the (Qi) induction coils in bulk? Any chance a Fry's would stock them?
Kinda forgot about this project...
1. I believe that the energizer charger I have is based on the Qi standard of induction charging. It’s been a while since I looked it up but either way I got a charger that was “standard” so that I could use it for later.
2. I provided the link to full resolution photos in my first post. ttp://i42.tinypic.com/110hu03.jpg (just add the “H” in http). Pretty simple, + voltage from the resistor and a ground to the shield of the connector.
3. Pretty sure I used 30 gauge wire. Not sure if it’s the right choice buts it’s what I had on hand that was thin enough.
4. Don’t know.. I consider this an either or charging method. Plan was to embed the charger base into a larger piece of wood for ease. Would have allowed for ease alignment.
5. I believe the important part is that the coil and base provide the appropriate voltage. I ended up using the blackberry induction charger back that I picked up from verizion on sale for less than $10 and the single energizer induction charger. don’t know if there is a benefit of using a premade cell phone induction charger or just sourcing the coil but I assumed that the cell phone charger would be safer. I assume the extra components are there for a reason.
Hope this heps