[APP] AdFree by Bigtincan - adblock app

Search This thread

androcraze

Jan 11, 2013
I am asking why it needs full permissions to all device features and storage.
From what I would expect its just updating the host file to point any DNS names in the list to a non existent address, like itself. Is there something more that it is doing?
I don't doubt the dev has a good community rep, just would like to know why.

So what I understand you to say is that lots of dev's out there are being deceptive about the permissions their apps need to do their functions?
Titainum Back, System App remover, SuperSU are a couple that come to mind that state they need very specific permissions, but not Full Permissions to everything.

Don't know. I'm guessing that if most or all of the ad-blockers exibit this behavior, then it's needed. If you want something a little cleaner, try:

http://direct.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=32276021

It doesn't update itself (you get to do it manually). It's just a hosts file (text) and nothing more.

ShermCraig

Oct 26, 2009
New York, NY
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hi all. I see this thread has been quite for quite some time. I am hoping someone can help. I have been a user of AdFree for a while. I noticed that one website I frequent is impacted in that I can no longer see the comments section of that particular website. I added the domain in question to the "white list" but that hasn't helped. Can anyone who understands this sort of thing help? I love the functionality it provides, but not being able to comment on my favorite site is an issue. Anyone? Thanks!!

no14me

Feb 7, 2012
HaNoi
Hi all. I see this thread has been quite for quite some time. I am hoping someone can help. I have been a user of AdFree for a while. I noticed that one website I frequent is impacted in that I can no longer see the comments section of that particular website. I added the domain in question to the "white list" but that hasn't helped. Can anyone who understands this sort of thing help? I love the functionality it provides, but not being able to comment on my favorite site is an issue. Anyone? Thanks!!

What is "white list"? Did you delete your site from android's host file?

nigeljsy

Aug 3, 2014
Jersey
AdFree stops my tether from working

Hi all,
Admittedly I haven't used my tether for a while and I thought a recent upgrade from KK to Lollipop stopped my WiFi tether from working. Another upgrade, several days of troubleshooting the wrong thing and then the final realization that it may not have been Lollipop causing me mischief but infact a recent (or semi-recent) app installation may have been the culprit!
It turns out that a fresh download of new hosts using AdFree stops the WiFi tether from working! I can replicate it easily, but to remedy the problem, I have to clear the hosts file to use the WiFi. After I am done with the tether I have re-download the hosts file again.
As you can imagine I would rather not have to clear the hosts, then re-download each time.
Can someone advise me how I can find the relvant entry in the host file that stops the tether from working? If I know it, I can add an exclusion for it!
Hope you can help!
Thanks
Nigel

androcraze

Jan 11, 2013

Hi all,
Admittedly I haven't used my tether for a while and I thought a recent upgrade from KK to Lollipop stopped my WiFi tether from working. Another upgrade, several days of troubleshooting the wrong thing and then the final realization that it may not have been Lollipop causing me mischief but infact a recent (or semi-recent) app installation may have been the culprit!
It turns out that a fresh download of new hosts using AdFree stops the WiFi tether from working! I can replicate it easily, but to remedy the problem, I have to clear the hosts file to use the WiFi. After I am done with the tether I have re-download the hosts file again.
As you can imagine I would rather not have to clear the hosts, then re-download each time.
Can someone advise me how I can find the relvant entry in the host file that stops the tether from working? If I know it, I can add an exclusion for it!
Hope you can help!
Thanks
Nigel

Have you tried AdAway?

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway

I've always had good luck with it.

Reactions: nigeljsy

nigeljsy

Aug 3, 2014
Jersey
Have you tried AdAway?

I've always had good luck with it.

Hi,
Thanks for the nudge in the right direction! With AdAway the problem has gone away.
I should have gone on to say in my previous post that the tether activated on the S4, my laptop connected to the S4, then took a while to tell me that the laptop had a "limited" connection, then when checking to see what the problem was, the laptop failed to get a valid IP address and was assigned a private IP address instead. It was like DHCP was not working.
Anyway... AdAway - no problem at all!
Thanks again.

Reactions: androcraze

tuncan

Dec 30, 2010
www.kacnje.eu
Really a gr8 app. its new version is not coming which is really bad
After installing this months' Google stock firmware on Nexus 5, it looks that AdFree isn't working any more. I simply don't know why.
Ads are shown, but if I check in AdFree for updates, it says that I have the latest version. Also worth to say, that checking is take a much longer then before.
Any update or idea what is wrong?

ashish1989

Aug 22, 2014
Ghaziabad
After installing this months' Google stock firmware on Nexus 5, it looks that AdFree isn't working any more. I simply don't know why.
Ads are shown, but if I check in AdFree for updates, it says that I have the latest version. Also worth to say, that checking is take a much longer then before.
Any update or idea what is wrong?
Adfree servers are busy these days
Thats why I reverted back to adaway working really gr8

Claps1775

Aug 15, 2011
Meridian, ID
Thank you for the downloads. I have used adaway for a long time. Mine is a older version. I do remember using this app adfree at one time. I am not sure what happen to the file. Thank you for it. The link in the OP to the side is not working. Flash this normal like a app or has anyone used twrp to flash it?

androcraze

Jan 11, 2013
Thank you for the downloads. I have used adaway for a long time. Mine is a older version. I do remember using this app adfree at one time. I am not sure what happen to the file. Thank you for it. The link in the OP to the side is not working. Flash this normal like a app or has anyone used twrp to flash it?

What's wrong with AdAway? Either it works, or it doesn't.

It's still an active thread on XDA:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39144524&postcount=1

You'll probably have to use the 2.92 version:
- change address to https://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.txt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After flash ROM without backup, I searched on Google Play but I can't find any adblock app.
    So i search and know that some days ago all "Ad Blocking" apps were removed from Play Store. It's too bad, because with small app, i always download the new one after flash.
    AND WITH SOME APP, I DON'T WANT DOWNLOAD FROM ANOTHER SOURCE EXCEPT GOOGLE PLAY.
    Luckily, i opened the sdcard and recognized that I backed up this app the day before flash. so I have backed up the best ad blocking app for me: AdFree from bigtincan.
    I attached version 0.8.47-the last version in the Google Play before remotion. I exported it by AppInstaller, so you can install it normal :)
    Also, you can get the last version here (found this in XDA ): http://adfree.bigtincan.com/adfree.apk
    UPDATE: ADFREE 0.8.47 WAS OUT OF DATE. EVERYBODY CAN DOWNLOAD NEW VERSION VIA THIS DIRECT LINK: http://adfree.bigtincan.com/adfree.apk
    Or you will get Out of date notification when open apps

*EDIT: 19-Jan-2015: attached newest version (dont know if anybody still using this like me. haha)
    Screenshot_2015-01-19-22-34-20.jpg
    I would suggest downloading any adblockers from their developers site. The new versions include an updater that works outside of the play store.

http://adblockplus.org/en/android-about

Sent from my LG P970 using XDA-Premium
    [Device]LG Optimus Black P970
    [ROM]CM10.1
    [Kernel]3.0.8-CM+
    [MOD] 4cyl Turbo engine v0.3.2_r1 w/ 200 shot NOS(@Exit_only)
    I would suggest downloading any adblockers from their developers site. The new versions include an updater that works outside of the play store.

http://adblockplus.org/en/android-about

Sent from my LG P970 using XDA-Premium
    [Device]LG Optimus Black P970
    [ROM]CM10.1
    [Kernel]3.0.8-CM+
    [MOD] 4cyl Turbo engine v0.3.2_r1 w/ 200 shot NOS(@Exit_only)

I bump month old threads from trolls and I suggest you read the op.
    I leave the last version 0.9.11 adfree July 2016.
    I'm sorry it came off like that but iI was just trying to be helpful. As you can surely see I'm still a fairly fresh face around here. Feel free to call me a troll if you desire, I'm not here to start any forum battles.

I hear you. It's just that you linked to a completely different app from a different developer. Forgive the troll comment.