Remove All Ads from XDA

[wmplayer] Windows Media Player (wmplayer.exe) don't start

127 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By xkaiser, Senior Member on 6th February 2010, 01:29 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Problem is being discuss in these threads, but still without a solution:
Here + Here + Here + Here + Here + Here

I had this problem where, inexplicably, the wmplayer failed to open.
Threads more like this problem are identified above.
After many steps to be able to identify the origin and solution, today was the big day that could resolve this error. I will explain:

PROBLEM:
wmplayer don't start : when click in start menu icon => nothing happens; try to play a media file (p.ex, open it inside file explorer) => nothing hapens, and so on...

CONSEQUENSES:
Although you can install another media player to listen to music, this was not the solution because without wmplayer is not possible to hear the sounds of system notifications (for example, warning sms, reminders, ...) and, worse, it is not possible to reproduce your ringtone on a phone call.
A hard-reset was the solution, but after a few days tweaking my device... bummm!!! the problem back again (and the hard work to reinstall many apps after a HR)

CAUSE:
The cause of this "fk..." problem is very simple: the system has a temporary folder for some apps : by default : "\Application Data\Volatile".
If you delete this folder (manually or with any clean manager app) the wmplayer don't start/run. The folder content can be deleted any time, but the folder itself not.
This temp folder is set in registry key : [HKLM\System\FileSys\TempPath]
By my experience, almost all apps that use this folder to cache temp data are able to create it if don't exist, but wmplayer not, so if this folder was not previously present WMP don't run (and the WMP built-in engine to play system notificatins/ringtone also not)

HOW TO SOLVE:
2 options :
- Easy : manually create the folder name "Volatile" inside "\Application Data" folder (names without ""). After that, wmplayer is back again
- Not for newbies : edit registry key [HKLM\System\FileSys\TempPath] and set a path that exist in your device and soft-reset.

Personally, I prefer to set a folder in which I'm sure that no any app clean manager will erase it. So, I set the root folder "\Application Data" for temporary temp folder for some apps in above registry key.
For newbies, I made the attached .cab that do it : just install and soft reset.
Attached Files
File Type: cab Fix-WMP_temp_xmatrix.cab - [Click for QR Code] (996 Bytes, 2411 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to xkaiser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xkaiser Ad-Free

11th February 2010, 04:00 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thanks for the findings.
17th February 2010, 02:27 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks so much...
thank you SO MUCH for the cab file - this just happened to me yesterday and i was considering getting a whole new phone (BJ II is a couple years old and figured if i was going to have to do a hard reset, might as well just get a new phone). but this worked like a charm! every other site says hard reset, including every other mention of this on this forum. amazing. this has been going on for people since the BJ II first came out a couple years ago, so i'm glad you came up with a fix!!!
18th February 2010, 01:08 PM |#4  

More
very good
best solution.
thanks mate
18th February 2010, 04:02 PM |#5  
Flag Głogów

More
great solution, thanks

I was going to hard reset my Touch Pro, but it helped

BTW, it's strange, but I had Volatile folder on my device with some temp files in it, WMP began to work after emptying that folder

anyway, thank you again
19th February 2010, 05:12 AM |#6  

More
Thumbs up thanks a ton!!!!
Hey, Finally a solution for this prob... thnx buddy.. this is great.....
appreaciate your hard work....
27th February 2010, 04:37 PM |#7  

More
thank you... your solution helped me!
1st March 2010, 08:13 PM |#8  

More
Thank you thank you !!!

I got this issue: wmplayer won't start and when wmplayer don't work: no more ringtones for calls, no more wake up alarm, etc.

After reading this thread i went to my volatile directory. I had 999 ! folders in this "volatile" folder. After deleting all 999 items wmplayer work again.

This is a BUG from microsoft !!! I mean why these temporary folders are just emptied but not deleted after use ???
10th March 2010, 03:13 AM |#9  

More
This is the best solution.

I already have the Volatile folder and after clearing all the files inside this folder, its back to its usual form.

Great! Thanks!
16th March 2010, 05:01 PM |#10  

More
PERFECT!! I can't believe it was so simple
22nd March 2010, 02:13 PM |#11  

More
wow thanks a lot!
you saved me a lot of trouble.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags