[VIDEO] Samsung Galaxy S5 Water Damaged - QI Wireless Charger

Search This thread

galaxy s4 nutjob

Mar 7, 2014
Niagara Falls
Unfortunately I learned this the hardway today I forgot the qi pad would probably not allow the seal to complete and now my phone is in a bag of rice sitting on the window sill hoping and praying, I also oredered a new battery in hopes to fool the at&t associate into thinking it is a manufacturer malfunction fingers crossed
So relieved after my or deal after 3 days in a bag of rice my s5 is back and appears to be fine. Lesson learned

bloodomen2

Jun 2, 2013
anyone tried NILLKIN QI Wireless Charging Receiver?

is the S5 really waterproof with it like the company claim?

Last edited:

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
is the S5 really waterproof with it like the company claim?

no one has actually tried it, but beware, this receiver is very picky with the transmitter used, some transmitter wont work, my family member put up a few on ebay, but then removed it because we dont want people having them to return it back to us.

bloodomen2

Jun 2, 2013
Last edited:

skylineishigh

Aug 8, 2011
So where can I find a list of 3rd party cases that support
+ the thickness of the samsung qi cover
+ still allow charging on qi with the case on

and why does NO manufacturer sell a case that has qi build in and protects the device :(

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
So where can I find a list of 3rd party cases that support
+ the thickness of the samsung qi cover
+ still allow charging on qi with the case on

and why does NO manufacturer sell a case that has qi build in and protects the device :(

you have posted on the wrong thread, may be a bit of search will get you the correct thread.

hanmilo90

Jun 23, 2014
waterproof S5 exist

there are many different kinds of S5 wireless receiver , basic S5, S5+NFC, S5 waterproof version ,
obviously you bought a basic one ,you should ask for the s5 details before buying, then your wife won't lost her phone ;)

anubius

Jul 3, 2008
Lviv
I noticed that too, however everyone is write for filming under the water this phone was never designed. I bought additional waterproof case in order to film under the water, without it I would never do that. Too expensive.

chrisngrod

Jul 29, 2008
Des Moines, IA
It was when the phone first came out. This phone is old now =). Got it replaced.

I knew the likely outcome of it all. That's why I got video I could use.

Moto G doesn't have seals and still does an awesome job with nano coating.

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
S5 Water Damage - Bubble and Angry Wife

Here's your Post:

(forward to 1:16 if you just want to watch the underwater video)

The only reason I pulled this out of my thread is to make sure it is visible. The question arose whether or not an aftermarket QI receiver will cause the Galaxy S5 to leak water. The answer is in the video. You can actually hear the phone start to malfunction. I knew this was a high risk trial. It was a gamble and I lost. Well technically my wife lost. She now hates the Note 3 I have her using :p.

4776d1399254413-s5_water_damaged.jpg

If you look at the picture above, you can see the smooth path around the inside of the device that the seal on the battery door matches up with. Sometimes you will notice air bubbles come out of the phone when you submerge it. This is probably because water is allowed to get into areas up to the seal.

Now look at the QI receiver pad's ribbon cable that protrudes on the top left. One of the QI prongs is located within the seal path. Naturally the ribbon was in seal path as well. In addition to this, the small amount of bulk added under the cover could have been just enough to affect the small seals. Perhaps you could cut the ribbon ever so slightly, and do other modifications to make the pad thinner. Who really wants to do that and re-perform this test though?

I am definitely not accusing Samsung for any failure on their part. There are articles about the S4 Active having issues and AT&T doing on time courtesy replacements for those devices (unmodified). I checked with AT&T for S&Gs to see if there were any reports of S5s with issues. They said no. Only time will tell. This is not a warranty issue anyways because I modified the device.

The setup was tested with in a bathroom tub with the device off earlier in the day. It passed. No water seeped past the door seal. I should have tested it a few times at various depths up to 12" and moved the phone around to encourage water to get in. Starting at 1 second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds etc. Small tests would have minimized the amount of water that could have entered the phone without detection.

My recommendation is to not use the device on purpose for underwater photography. Take measures if you are going to be in an environment which could potentially result in your phone getting wet. Make sure all the seals are in tact and do not press buttons while the phone is submerged. It might not be a factor but why try?

If you ever notice water getting into your phone, no matter what make or model, turn it off immediately, take out the battery, and inspect. Upon inspection, should you notice any moisture, dry the phone for 24-48 hours at a minimum. This phone DID NOT die immediately. It actually just got worse over time. I should have dried it for about half a week I'm thinking. Remember, it's not really the water that does the damage to the circuitry. It's the electricity that is running though the water and shorting out components. Water seeping into the display probably isn't good in general but just trying to make a point. Initially it was only the home button that was malfunctioning (registering as being pressed the whole time). Screen was fine and everything. Then it had problems turning on. Hours later, when it did turn on, the screen was going. Hours after that, the screen would not turn on at all.

Please like the video and subscribe so my wife doesn't kill me...

**ADDED**

Underwater wireless charging :). Explains where the water probably came from and demonstrates the failure.

4777d1399430090-%5Bvideo%5D-samsung-galaxy-s5-water-damage-watch-death-murmor-s5_qi_receiver.jpg

The S4 Active actually has a snap in the center of the device. Your S5 does not. Just a random tidbit.

01:23 You can hear the Bubbles entering the Device. Then it got slower because Water was already there!
-–—– Why hate the Note 3?????

Please like the video and subscribe so that my wife doesn't kill me...
1:56 Oh, how Sweet! ♡❤♡ <33

Oh, no! :·0 It hurts soo much, if you hurted your Wife! I'm so sorry for you!
And her reaction..... Ouch!

All the best.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Good luck making your Device Working again!
Agian, one S5 Failed. Sometimes it survives a Washing Machine for 50 minutes, sometimes exposure to dirtwater in sea for 6 hours at 2.56m Depth and sometimes a BANG makes it fail. And this time, it's not your fault, if the device dies in a few seconds.

chrisngrod

Jul 29, 2008
Des Moines, IA
This was done close to the release of the S5. Unfortunately all OEM Qi covers for S devices make it nearly impossible to use any aftermarket phone case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

(forward to 1:16 if you just want to watch the underwater video)

The only reason I pulled this out of my thread is to make sure it is visible. The question arose whether or not an aftermarket QI receiver will cause the Galaxy S5 to leak water. The answer is in the video. You can actually hear the phone start to malfunction. I knew this was a high risk trial. It was a gamble and I lost. Well technically my wife lost. She now hates the Note 3 I have her using :p.

4776d1399254413-s5_water_damaged.jpg

If you look at the picture above, you can see the smooth path around the inside of the device that the seal on the battery door matches up with. Sometimes you will notice air bubbles come out of the phone when you submerge it. This is probably because water is allowed to get into areas up to the seal.

Now look at the QI receiver pad's ribbon cable that protrudes on the top left. One of the QI prongs is located within the seal path. Naturally the ribbon was in seal path as well. In addition to this, the small amount of bulk added under the cover could have been just enough to affect the small seals. Perhaps you could cut the ribbon ever so slightly, and do other modifications to make the pad thinner. Who really wants to do that and re-perform this test though?

I am definitely not accusing Samsung for any failure on their part. There are articles about the S4 Active having issues and AT&T doing on time courtesy replacements for those devices (unmodified). I checked with AT&T for S&Gs to see if there were any reports of S5s with issues. They said no. Only time will tell. This is not a warranty issue anyways because I modified the device.

The setup was tested with in a bathroom tub with the device off earlier in the day. It passed. No water seeped past the door seal. I should have tested it a few times at various depths up to 12" and moved the phone around to encourage water to get in. Starting at 1 second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds etc. Small tests would have minimized the amount of water that could have entered the phone without detection.

My recommendation is to not use the device on purpose for underwater photography. Take measures if you are going to be in an environment which could potentially result in your phone getting wet. Make sure all the seals are in tact and do not press buttons while the phone is submerged. It might not be a factor but why try?

If you ever notice water getting into your phone, no matter what make or model, turn it off immediately, take out the battery, and inspect. Upon inspection, should you notice any moisture, dry the phone for 24-48 hours at a minimum. This phone DID NOT die immediately. It actually just got worse over time. I should have dried it for about half a week I'm thinking. Remember, it's not really the water that does the damage to the circuitry. It's the electricity that is running though the water and shorting out components. Water seeping into the display probably isn't good in general but just trying to make a point. Initially it was only the home button that was malfunctioning (registering as being pressed the whole time). Screen was fine and everything. Then it had problems turning on. Hours later, when it did turn on, the screen was going. Hours after that, the screen would not turn on at all.

Please like the video and subscribe so my wife doesn't kill me...

**ADDED**

Underwater wireless charging :). Explains where the water probably came from and demonstrates the failure.

4777d1399430090-%5Bvideo%5D-samsung-galaxy-s5-water-damage-watch-death-murmor-s5_qi_receiver.jpg

The S4 Active actually has a snap in the center of the device. Your S5 does not. Just a random tidbit.
    Why would anyone be surprised about this outcome. Pretty expensive lab experiment too. That had fail written all over it using a 3rd party device like that. I would not try underwater video even with the stock phone. I think the intention of making this phone IP67 rated was more for the accidental toilet, sink, pool drop, etc. If you want to do underwater video I would suggest getting a GoPro.
    The oem cover is only good if you don't intend to use a case, there is quite a small percentages that don't use cases, and many case manufacture won't make one case in two size to accommodate the two sizes of covers.

This is probably the first phone to support wireless charging with IP67.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Next time only do a water test for your own benefit, and not for the forum, it's too costly.:fingers-crossed:
    So you added thickness to the back cover using the qi receiver and say the phone is water damaged. Why didn't you test it with the official samsung qi enabled back cover?
    I believe the S5 Qi OEM cover will not make the phone thicker. Here is the link and quote for the S5 cover:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EP-CG900IBUSTA

Contrast this to Samsung's listing of the S4 cover:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EP-CI950IWUSTA

The S4 listing makes it very clear that it adds bulk, while the S5 listing says it maintains the original slim 'style'.

I have ordered a oem Qi S5 cover. I'll post when I get it if there are issues (but since I am in Canada and have ordered from US, I suspect that I will be late to the party and we will have the answer already).

The cover is already out and folks here have them. It makes the phone thicker.