[Q] Moto G damaged - needs board change.

Search This thread

vjyvgns

Oct 9, 2014
Chennai
Able to attend call - But needs board change!

Thanks Narayanan, Rajen, and aayush_neov
Very helpful and quick responses. :good:

Okay, so i got the phone back from Service Center(Trident, Chennai). These guys clearly said no way the phone can be brought back to life. Needs to change screen and mother board and could cost 80% of the phone's cost. When leaving they also said they could buy the phone for 1500 rupees. They may need the chips and some units that are working on the phone. I said i will think about it. (Sounded like a good deal though).

So this is what happened next. I was bored and worried in office, so gave a try by myself. I charged the phone from morning to afternoon (LED Blinked). Later in afternoon i put my sim card from my phone (Lumia 510, Moto E is Mom's) and turned it ON. Surprise surprise the phone did turn ON. Not the display, but i can see some blank white light glowing in the screen. So i called from my office phone and surprise surprise it RINGED. And the mic, speaker everything just worked fine. :victory:
Now tell me this - How could a phone declared to have dead Motherboard do this?

So i guess the issue is only with the display and It seems i am a better debugger than the service center folks.
1. Have anyone changed the screen for Moto E/G.
2. How much would that cost?
3. Should i go back to Trident or should i try somewhere else. (Sadly, they are the authorized folks.)

Thanks in advance for your responses!

joshirajen

Mar 6, 2013
Bangalore
great news that..

That's great news.. One of my friend had Moto G screen cracked and she checked with Motorola service center and they said it will cost her 4500. So I guess Moto E is bit small so would cost somewhere around 3500 to 4000. You can go for duplicate display screen which would cost you around 1500 to 2000. It hardly makes any difference in my point of view as long as u get it working normally.

The thing about service center people are, if your phone is under warranty(mine is under warranty and I guess yours too), the service center people don't make any money out of it so they would just check and tell that the motherboard is gone as they just want to get rid of you asap. That's what I think. So, always better to go to local service center when they say they cant do anything.

Thanks Narayanan, Rajen, and aayush_neov
Very helpful and quick responses. :good:

Okay, so i got the phone back from Service Center(Trident, Chennai). These guys clearly said no way the phone can be brought back to life. Needs to change screen and mother board and could cost 80% of the phone's cost. When leaving they also said they could buy the phone for 1500 rupees. They may need the chips and some units that are working on the phone. I said i will think about it. (Sounded like a good deal though).

So this is what happened next. I was bored and worried in office, so gave a try by myself. I charged the phone from morning to afternoon (LED Blinked). Later in afternoon i put my sim card from my phone (Lumia 510, Moto E is Mom's) and turned it ON. Surprise surprise the phone did turn ON. Not the display, but i can see some blank white light glowing in the screen. So i called from my office phone and surprise surprise it RINGED. And the mic, speaker everything just worked fine. :victory:
Now tell me this - How could a phone declared to have dead Motherboard do this?

So i guess the issue is only with the display and It seems i am a better debugger than the service center folks.
1. Have anyone changed the screen for Moto E/G.
2. How much would that cost?
3. Should i go back to Trident or should i try somewhere else. (Sadly, they are the authorized folks.)

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Reactions: vjyvgns

jeevan2893

Jan 31, 2015
Hyderabad
Moto g Accedentally dropped in water

Hi,

I own a moto g which accedentally dropped in water. i took it off and it was working fine for few min. After some time i noticed some water inside my screen and my touch was not working. I left my phone for some time. After an hour when i restarted my phone my touch was working. To dry down the water, i kept my phone under shady sun light for about 2 hours. Now when i try to switch it on the led light is blinking 3 times as if it do when the battery drains. I tried to charge my phone and now the LED light is blinking and later it stopped.

If my circuits are crashed will the LED light blink. Because i used my phone before if completely dried off.

narayanand

Mar 8, 2007
Hi,

I own a moto g which accedentally dropped in water. i took it off and it was working fine for few min. After some time i noticed some water inside my screen and my touch was not working. I left my phone for some time. After an hour when i restarted my phone my touch was working. To dry down the water, i kept my phone under shady sun light for about 2 hours. Now when i try to switch it on the led light is blinking 3 times as if it do when the battery drains. I tried to charge my phone and now the LED light is blinking and later it stopped.

If my circuits are crashed will the LED light blink. Because i used my phone before if completely dried off.

As a first step, I would use a higher amperage charger (like the one that comes with tablets, which has rating typically in the range of 1A or 2A - Moto G's charger rating is 0.5A) and leave it for an hour. If still problem persists you can try swapping a fully charged battery from another Moto G. If that is not feasible, the only other option available to you is to approach the service center, who will not provide warranty citing the issue as water damage.

Hope it helps and all the best.

Regards,
Narayanan

Reactions: jeevan2893

jeevan2893

Jan 31, 2015
Hyderabad
As a first step, I would use a higher amperage charger (like the one that comes with tablets, which has rating typically in the range of 1A or 2A - Moto G's charger rating is 0.5A) and leave it for an hour. If still problem persists you can try swapping a fully charged battery from another Moto G. If that is not feasible, the only other option available to you is to approach the service center, who will not provide warranty citing the issue as water damage.

Hope it helps and all the best.

Regards,
Narayanan

hii..

i have tried the above steps. it is working and i am able to see the display. still water is present under the screen which is visible . Can you please suggest me how to get rid of that water. Weather it is possible with out changing the screen or not.

narayanand

Mar 8, 2007
The lesson I learnt from experience is that water corrodes certain parts of your phone and the corrosion grows.

So the best approach would be to take the phone apart, clean with pure distilled water first to take away the electrolytes from previous exposure and then dry it and wash carefully only the contacts with isopropyl alcohol. Then dry and assemble.

These are simply out of reach for us and hence approach service center and ask them to clean for water damage. They will not cover this under warranty and also any further repairs they will blame the water exposure and will deny warranty.

If all the above is not possible, simply switch off the phone and place it in rice, which will absorb the moisture.

All the best again.

AnkeshReborn

Jan 6, 2014
Noida
OnePlus 7T
Similar Problems

I had this problem six months ago,and they said to replace and its about 80%,So,how's your phone now,my phone is just a heavy paperweight..

Any suggestion?

narayanand

Mar 8, 2007
I had this problem six months ago,and they said to replace and its about 80%,So,how's your phone now,my phone is just a heavy paperweight..

Any suggestion?

Though I was willing to pay for the motherboard, Trident (Chennai's authorised service centre for Motorola) said Motorola has not given permission to replace motherboards for non-warranty repairs (It was very funny to ponder how such decisions are made). They further said that they are waiting for Motorola's approval. I have lodged in a compaint at Motorola customer care and did not get any conclusive answer. I asked for escalation and I was given contact details of Chennai's service head from Redington who too did not give any conclusive answer. Again I asked for escalation and this time they gave country head's phone an email, which was no answered (both phone and email). All these took almost three months and with great frustration about Motorola's service network I took my phone unrepaired and went to Ritche street and approached Cresent service centre.

They estimated the charges as Rs.1500 for fixing and after two days they said they removed the vibrator motor. I disagreed that as a fix and finally they settled in for Rs.1100. Luckily in my case the water damage has caused the vibrator to vibrate and removing it made the phone usable.

I would suggest you to try Crescent +919840172678 +914443227750, 13/38 Wallers Road, mount Road
Madras.

All the best.

Reactions: AnkeshReborn

AnkeshReborn

Jan 6, 2014
Noida
OnePlus 7T
Though I was willing to pay for the motherboard, Trident (Chennai's authorised service centre for Motorola) said Motorola has not given permission to replace motherboards for non-warranty repairs (It was very funny to ponder how such decisions are made). They further said that they are waiting for Motorola's approval. I have lodged in a compaint at Motorola customer care and did not get any conclusive answer. I asked for escalation and I was given contact details of Chennai's service head from Redington who too did not give any conclusive answer. Again I asked for escalation and this time they gave country head's phone an email, which was no answered (both phone and email). All these took almost three months and with great frustration about Motorola's service network I took my phone unrepaired and went to Ritche street and approached Cresent service centre.

They estimated the charges as Rs.1500 for fixing and after two days they said they removed the vibrator motor. I disagreed that as a fix and finally they settled in for Rs.1100. Luckily in my case the water damage has caused the vibrator to vibrate and removing it made the phone usable.

I would suggest you to try Crescent +919840172678 +914443227750, 13/38 Wallers Road, mount Road
Madras.

All the best.
Looks like you've not corrupted your motherboard,as I have and the service centre said it would be ₹8500
So any other cheap suggestions?

rakeshkasba

Apr 9, 2016
My phone is Moto Service centre damaged, any remedies. The phone was not booting up, Went to Jaya Nagar, Bangalore, Moto Service centre they took 30 minutes no charges and it was up. 2 months later same problem, the screen was alive the options visible but nothing beyond. This time they asked to leave the phone behind. After 2 days they say mother board damage, now the phone does not light up s o they called it dead phone, charged Rs 179 and returned saying sorry. What to do when servie centre does not return even in the original condition ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Keep the mobile..Sell the parts after a year or two.. Meanwhile get another moto g or maybe a e

Sent from THE motog
    Motorola service centre are least helpful.

I also have a similar issue, My phone was water damaged, kept it in rice for almost 3 days. Kept it in changing for a while, tried pressing the power button for 2-3 minutes, I didn't get any boot options but it showed 0% Charging and then showed Motorola Logo and the screen goes off again. I tried several times but same issue. It goes up till Motorola logo which shows 'M and powered by android' then again goes off and shows 0% Charging. :crying:

I feel there's still life in my Moto G as it shows the charging % and motorola logo but doesn't turn on. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Rajen

Hello Rajen,

Probably as you say your phone might be having life left. To me it appears like a completely drained battery that is scaring you.
    My suggestion is to use a high amperage charger (like any tablet charger or any phone charger where the output amps is in the order of 2A or 1A) for a short period of time, until you see at least 10 to 20% of battery charge. Do not attempt to switch on the phone until at least that amount of battery is charged. If you still do not able to start up, take it to your local experts (not the service centre guys, unless it is in warranty and they did not reject your claim due to water damage).

In my case the authorised service centre guys had my phone for 2 weeks and finally said I had to change the motherboard, which Motorola had not authorised to do for phones not covered under warranty (in my case though it was only 3 months old, it was declared to be not under warranty due to water damage). At the end of 2 weeks they returned the phone as it is. I tried to fix it in Ritche Street (a market place for electronics in Chennai, India) and got it fixed in 5 hours for Rs.1100 (after heavy bargain).

First try my higher amperage charger suggestion and if still not working try as I did.

Regards,
    Narayanan
    Usually the specification of the charger will be printed its side itself. You have to look for output parameters, which will be typically mentioned as "Output: 5v,2A DC" the words 2A means it can supply current up to two ampheres. Regular use of this high amps charger will heat up the battery and will reduce the life. But it is useful to resuscitate such a flat batteries as well.
    Hi Vignesh,

The service center in Ritche street is known as "Crescent Cell Phone Service". Their contact numbers are: +919840172678 and +914443227750. Their address would be "13/38 Wallers Road, Off Mount Road".

If you approach Ritche street and Mount road junction from LIC/Spencer side, the road on your left soon after subway entrance and India silk house is the Wallers road. The first notable shop at Wallers road is Sony service centre and in that side is this shop. This is a very small shop, probably of three feet wide and very easy to miss.

They first analyse the device and will give you an estimate. If you both agree for it, they will proceed for repair. If the repair is not successful, they will not charge you at all. The rate they quote will be on high side and can be bargained only by pleading.

In my case they did not fix the issue, rather they simply disabled the vibrator. When they asked Rs.1400 for that, I negotiated that had if they fixed the issue I am happy to pay the amount and I am not happy to pay Rs.1400 just for disabling the vibrator. After heated argument they did not oblige and fortunately I had only Rs.1100 with me. When I said I have that much only, they accepted Rs.1100.
    Hey Rajen,
    I have the same issue with my Moto E. But, Its not just water. It was in beach. I had the phone in my pocket and got strolled in beach. Realized the stupidity in the first two minutes and dried it out. Initially, i thought there won't be any issues as i have seen some youtube videos of phone submerged in water for 5 minutes.
    But, at first phone showed the Motorolo logo (With powered by Android below). And then nothing.. I tried to charge it with motorolo charger and the high amp chargers. But no use. Now, i don't see that logo as well. Later found out the issue is only with the Screen. Yes, when i called the phone it did ring.
    Visited the authorized service center (Trident, Nungambakkam, Chennai). After two days of inspection they reported both the motherboard and the display has died and its better to get a new Moto E than repairing it :( Its completely insane considering that the phone is only three months old. I am yet to get the device back and planning to visit few local service centers before declaring to rest the device in peace.

It would be really helpful if you could share the Ritchie street repair center details.

Thanks,

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

Hey Narayanan,
    I have the same issue with my Moto E. But, Its not just water. It was in beach. I had the phone in my pocket and got strolled in beach. Realized the stupidity in the first two minutes and dried it out. Initially, i thought there won't be any issues as i have seen some youtube videos of phone submerged in water for 5 minutes.
    But, at first phone showed the Motorolo logo (With powered by Android below). And then nothing.. I tried to charge it with motorolo charger and the high amp chargers. But no use. Now, i don't see that logo as well. Later found out the issue is only with the Screen. Yes, when i called the phone it did ring.
    Visited the authorized service center (Trident, Nungambakkam, Chennai). After two days of inspection they reported both the motherboard and the display has died and its better to get a new Moto E than repairing it Its completely insane considering that the phone is only three months old. I am yet to get the device back and planning to visit few local service centers before declaring to rest the device in peace.

It would be really helpful if you could share the Ritchie street repair center details.

Thanks,
    Vignesh

I am yet to go to a local service center in Bangalore. Higher amp charging did not work for me. I will go to SP Road in bangalore soon(known for its local electronic market) and see if I get lucky. All the best Vignesh.

Thanks guys,
    Rajen