★[Rom][G900VVRU1ANI2][4.4.4] Stock Root Odex/Deodex/Knox-Free★

Search This thread

Nov 15, 2009
I have a Verizon S5 with Safestrap installed. Created a rom slot to install Odex NI2. After slot creation, I wiped it, installed Odex NI2. After boot up I get these force closes:

context service stopped
healthservice stopped

Restart and shut down do not work. Just goes to a black screen.

Deactivated this and activated stock rom (Kitkai 4.4.2 NCG). Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

kuronosan

Nov 10, 2008
I don't understand why you would need to flash this and then Odin NI2. If I'm coming from 4.4.2, what are the installation instructions?

evilryry

Sep 15, 2013
I don't understand why you would need to flash this and then Odin NI2. If I'm coming from 4.4.2, what are the installation instructions?

You odin the ni2 firmware package (like it says..) consisting of basically everything but the data and system. Not the whole package.

Sent from my Supercharged KT Powered S5

kuronosan

Nov 10, 2008
You odin the ni2 firmware package (like it says..) consisting of basically everything but the data and system. Not the whole package.

It doesn't say it in the OP, and thank you. Search might be my friend but it was easy to overlook when the query didn't turn up anything.

Got my VoLTE now. Happy camper.

AKMacAddict

Dec 23, 2011
Anchorage
Install procedure on Dev Ed?

I apologize in advance to all those 'in the know'. I really am trying to grasp the process in basic terms I can understand to avoid bricking or locking my device. I've read and read, and read some more but am just not grasping the basics.

My S5 is running the NGC Build. I rooted, installed TWRP, and flashed the NI2 modem and ktoonsez 10.07.2014 kernel. So...

Can I copy the Odexed file I downloaded in the original post (kltevzw_RootOdex_NI2.zip) to my extSDcard, along with the ktoonsez kernel (I had previously flashed from TWRP)?

Then boot into TWRP, and do the full wipes (factory reset).

Next, "Install" the RootOdex_NI2 zip file listed above. (Since the updater-scripts for the ROM and kernel indicate the same file, boot.img, when installing the kernel to the same location, I assume...)

The last step is to "Install" the ktoonsez kernel to overwrite the stock kernel installed in the previous step.

Then reboot.

Appreciate if someone can verify I am on the right track. I'm confused by not being familiar with the basic terms (firmware, full tar, etc.) stated in the bold warning in the OP.

Thanks in advance, and apologize for my confusion.

kuronosan

Nov 10, 2008
The important question is what phone you're using. If the answer is developer, then you would avoid flashing the bootloader. If the answer is retail, then the question is how you flashed a kernel without bricking.

osurferx

May 20, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I apologize in advance to all those 'in the know'. I really am trying to grasp the process in basic terms I can understand to avoid bricking or locking my device. I've read and read, and read some more but am just not grasping the basics.

My S5 is running the NGC Build. I rooted, installed TWRP, and flashed the NI2 modem and ktoonsez 10.07.2014 kernel. So...

Can I copy the Odexed file I downloaded in the original post (kltevzw_RootOdex_NI2.zip) to my extSDcard, along with the ktoonsez kernel (I had previously flashed from TWRP)?

Then boot into TWRP, and do the full wipes (factory reset).

Next, "Install" the RootOdex_NI2 zip file listed above. (Since the updater-scripts for the ROM and kernel indicate the same file, boot.img, when installing the kernel to the same location, I assume...)

The last step is to "Install" the ktoonsez kernel to overwrite the stock kernel installed in the previous step.

Then reboot.

Appreciate if someone can verify I am on the right track. I'm confused by not being familiar with the basic terms (firmware, full tar, etc.) stated in the bold warning in the OP.

Thanks in advance, and apologize for my confusion.

I'm assuming that you have the Verizon Dev edition?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AKMacAddict

Dec 23, 2011
Anchorage
Yes, this is the Verizon Developer Edition, running the 4.4.2 NGC build. I need to upgrade to NHA (or preferably NI2) to be able to utilize VoLTE which is required for the new Verizon system here in Alaska.

JAYNO20

Jun 24, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, this is the Verizon Developer Edition, running the 4.4.2 NGC build. I need to upgrade to NHA (or preferably NI2) to be able to utilize VoLTE which is required for the new Verizon system here in Alaska.

Last I heard we were waiting for something to be released from Samsung in order for the Dev Edition users to be able to update to the most recent rom (which includes support for voLTE). Unless that happened already, I don't think you can update yet without locking the bootloader.

evilryry

Sep 15, 2013

You're right on last post. Copy+wipe+flash rom and ktoonsez. Good to go. That's what I do.

Reactions: AKMacAddict

AKMacAddict

Dec 23, 2011
Anchorage
I sure hope so... :p Files are being copied to the extSDcard now.

I've seen several people say they have flashed various 4.4.4 "ROMs" on the Dev Ed, but the key is the recently upgraded kernel in order to be able to boot. But confusion is what is ROM versus 'full firmware or TARs'. I know what a TAR is (coming from UNIX and OS X), but wanting to make sure the stock bootloader isn't part of the file on the OP.

I looked in the archive (zip file), and I only see boot.img, which contains the kernel. Is this considered the "bootloader"?

If so, can I just delete that from the updater-scripts, and still just flash the ktoonsez version instead, or will some version/file check squawk if I mess with it?

Thanks!

trueagle

Jun 11, 2011
I sure hope so... :p Files are being copied to the extSDcard now.

I've seen several people say they have flashed various 4.4.4 "ROMs" on the Dev Ed, but the key is the recently upgraded kernel in order to be able to boot. But confusion is what is ROM versus 'full firmware or TARs'. I know what a TAR is (coming from UNIX and OS X), but wanting to make sure the stock bootloader isn't part of the file on the OP.

I looked in the archive (zip file), and I only see boot.img, which contains the kernel. Is this considered the "bootloader"?

If so, can I just delete that from the updater-scripts, and still just flash the ktoonsez version instead, or will some version/file check squawk if I mess with it?

Thanks!

You got it right. Modem only on odin the rest flash in the order you mentioned. Wipe dalvik and cache then reboot

Reactions: AKMacAddict

AKMacAddict

Dec 23, 2011
Anchorage
Woo hoo!!!

Ok folks, five minutes after the process started, I am on 4.4.4 NI2, running solidly on my Developer Edition phone! Copied the Odexed version from the OP, and the ktoonsez 10.07.2014 to my extSDcard.

Booted into TWRP, did a "factory reset" wipe. Was debating if I should do more. For good measure, wiped the cache and Dalvik, too. Took about a minute total.

Went to install and selected the ROM. Pressed install a second time to add the ktoonsez kernel to the queue.

Hit 'go' and about three minutes, it was done. For good measure, I opted to wipe the cache and Dalvik a second time.

Hit 'Reboot' and held my breath. Phone started, the Samsung splash animation played and moved on. The Verizon splash was on screen about four minutes, then phone started just like new!

BeansTown106's ROM rocks! Notifications told me my VM had been updated (to the VVM Basic) and best of all VoLTE was on by default!!!

I made a few test calls and they are routing properly on the correct network. For example, *86 for VM, 611, setup of YouMail forwarding, etc.

A VERY happy camper. Thanks to all the various comments across the threads and here, too.

Reactions: trueagle

AKMacAddict

Dec 23, 2011
Anchorage
Feel a boat load of relief... I've jailbroken Apple 'stuff', modded my Nexus devices, and even an old Droid. Never hard bricked anything. I was just super sensitive to screwing up with this S5, not being familiar with Samsung. I was beginning to regret going with the Dev Edition, but now glad I did when I saw how easy it is to mod!

Thanks!

JAYNO20

Jun 24, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok folks, five minutes after the process started, I am on 4.4.4 NI2, running solidly on my Developer Edition phone! Copied the Odexed version from the OP, and the ktoonsez 10.07.2014 to my extSDcard.

Booted into TWRP, did a "factory reset" wipe. Was debating if I should do more. For good measure, wiped the cache and Dalvik, too. Took about a minute total.

Went to install and selected the ROM. Pressed install a second time to add the ktoonsez kernel to the queue.

Hit 'go' and about three minutes, it was done. For good measure, I opted to wipe the cache and Dalvik a second time.

Hit 'Reboot' and held my breath. Phone started, the Samsung splash animation played and moved on. The Verizon splash was on screen about four minutes, then phone started just like new!

BeansTown106's ROM rocks! Notifications told me my VM had been updated (to the VVM Basic) and best of all VoLTE was on by default!!!

I made a few test calls and they are routing properly on the correct network. For example, *86 for VM, 611, setup of YouMail forwarding, etc.

A VERY happy camper. Thanks to all the various comments across the threads and here, too.

So did you just delete the boot.img out of the zip file before installing everything?

evilryry

Sep 15, 2013
So did you just delete the boot.img out of the zip file before installing everything?

Nah, isn't necessary. On the dev, you just have flash the desired kernel after rom so it will overwrite the stock kernel it flashes from retail. Then it's all ok

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is The FIRST Flashable Stock Root Version Of the newest KitKat 4.4.4 G900VVRU1ANI2 Built from Official Factory Images

Requirements: Custom Recovery For Odex/Deodex

Odex Features:
    Rooted
    BusyBox
    Zipaligned
    Init.d support
    Knox-Free
    Removed Tether Provisioning checks
    Removed Verizon OTA updater
    Removed 200mb Worth of How-To Videos.. (Seriously Verizon?!?!?)
    Read/Write to external storage
    Working Art
    Working Private Mode

DeOdex Features:
    same as Odex
    Deodexed
    Non-Working Private Mode

Rom Zips:
    Odex Rom Download: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23622183712474001

Odex md5: 566229f4b18f8da92b060df55e8e249d

DeOdex Rom Download: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23622183712474059

De-Odex md5: 7d4eac990f6f1fcb68cbddf51813413a

Disclaimer: DO NOT FLASH FIRMWARE/FULL TAR ON DEV EDITIONS

Thanks to:
    HashCode - For Safestrap
    GeoHot - TowelRoot
    ChainFire - for superSU
    JustArchi/Dsixda - for thier Kitchens Used For Various Tasks
    Im new to the s5 community. Coming from the RAZR. Instructions on how to flash the odex? Are we able to flash through safestrap or do we have to use odin?

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    yes every file.. literally there is not one .ong file in any of the system apps.... REDICULIOUS

Then they've finally done it. If this is their new standard across the board for 4.4.4+, then they've officially alienated the last remaining presence of Android modders on their devices. Suck it, S#!%sung. Wow.. Don't know what to say...

IMO, this is more irritating than having a locked bootloader. We were at least able to make the daggum thing look nicer.