FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] LG G2 Proximity Sensor causing me problems!

50 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By catfish90, Member on 5th January 2014, 06:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th January 2014, 10:38 PM |#11  
Flag xda
Thanks Meter: 78

More
This rom solve the issue:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2582845

Very nice ROM, works perfect, better then stock

13th January 2014, 11:51 PM |#12  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsi09

This rom solve the issue:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2582845

Very nice ROM, works perfect, better then stock :)

Thanks, i might test it this weekend.
18th September 2014, 06:05 PM |#13  

More
Working
i have a g2 d802 and i have tried the script workaround and is fine, but when i do put the phone next to my ear the screen remains on and does not go off, is this something i can chhange?

is there another workaround?

i am using Cm11
26th September 2014, 09:24 AM |#14  

More
Had the same problem.
Great temporary fix: right after you unlock the screen hit the volume button once or twice. Not a permanent fix but it works for the time being.
It usually blacks back out because something is wrong with the proximity sensor next to the front camera. Either it's covered partially, dirty, a screen protector is peeling off over it, etc. I've read that some people have problems with the screen not coming back on during calls because the proximity sensor is messed up. Some said to use a high powered suction vacuum and put it up against the screen to get debris out of the cracks or simply try wiping it clean if there's something on it. Hopefully it works!
30th October 2014, 06:09 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Oh god, I just permanently fixed my proximity sensor \o/

So I had the issue where the proximity sensor would detect something near it, making it hard to wake up the phone (screen getting dark after half a second, as the phone thinks it's still in my pocket) or keeping the screen dark after a call.
An app displaying the proximity sensor output was showing the sensor always reporting 0cm when it's not working, and 5cm when it's fine.
If your get "no data" in a test app, then sorry you have another issue. Probably a dead sensor. If you do get the sensor always returning an obstacle at 0cm, keep reading!

I also noticed that pressing on the screen around the sensor kind of made it work. So I thought for a while my screen was slightly off, maybe slightly unglued.

But it's the opposite: it's actually the sensor that was moving a bit, thus getting too far from the screen surface - and detecting the screen as the obstacle. Just by a ridiculously small amount.

Now THE FIX:
  • I switched off the phone, and removed the SIM and the rear door,
  • I removed the 7 screws holding the top plastic plate and buttons
  • On the rear of that plastic plate with the buttons, there's a small soft pad that pushes on the sensor to hold it against the screen: that's your target! That pad is just a tad too thin.
  • I've put a very small piece of adhesive tape (I used a slightly thick double-face white tape, maybe a tenth of a millimeter) on that pad,
  • Then I put everything back together and... the sensor now works! All the time! And the knock-on too of course.

I can't post a picture of the pad below the button assembly. But if you look for "OEM Part - AT&T LG D800 G2 (WHITE) Rear Back Housing + Buttons + Camera Lens" on ebay, and look at the 2nd picture, the pad is the fully black rectangle on the top left, on the right of the empty black rectangle and below the half-circle small opening (probably for the light sensor).

Pic of the fix: reho.st/self/cb4a29e598652f925a19f05770b6f192b09af8f5.jpg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sly_North For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sly_North Ad-Free
22nd November 2014, 06:07 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_North

So I had the issue where the proximity sensor would detect something near it, making it hard to wake up the phone (screen getting dark after half a second, as the phone thinks it's still in my pocket) or keeping the screen dark after a call.
An app displaying the proximity sensor output was showing the sensor always reporting 0cm when it's not working, and 5cm when it's fine.
If your get "no data" in a test app, then sorry you have another issue. Probably a dead sensor. If you do get the sensor always returning an obstacle at 0cm, keep reading!

I also noticed that pressing on the screen around the sensor kind of made it work. So I thought for a while my screen was slightly off, maybe slightly unglued.

But it's the opposite: it's actually the sensor that was moving a bit, thus getting too far from the screen surface - and detecting the screen as the obstacle. Just by a ridiculously small amount.

Now THE FIX:

• On the rear of that plastic plate with the buttons, there's a small soft pad that pushes on the sensor to hold it against the screen: that's your target! That pad is just a tad too thin.
  • I've put a very small piece of adhesive tape (I used a slightly thick double-face white tape, maybe a tenth of a millimeter) on that pad,
  • Then I put everything back together and... the sensor now works! All the time! And the knock-on too of course.

I can't post a picture of the pad below the button assembly. But if you look for "OEM Part - AT&T LG D800 G2 (WHITE) Rear Back Housing + Buttons + Camera Lens" on ebay, and look at the 2nd picture, the pad is the fully black rectangle on the top left, on the right of the empty black rectangle and below the half-circle small opening (probably for the light sensor).

I just want to pop in and say thanks for this fix. It really helped.
28th March 2015, 03:57 PM |#17  

Donate to Me
More
Plug proximity sensor issue
i had the same issue for my lg g2 . when i searched the internet for solution , all i got was to install proximity sensor disablers , rooting apps to disable them . i have solved the issue interms of hardware . the solution goes :

1 . go watch a youtube video of teardown of lg g2
2. in the video there will be showing a plug that connects the sensor to the circuit board.
3 . pick up a screw driver , open the casing of ur phone
4. unplug the connection between the board and the sensor
5. put everything right back
6 PROBLEMO SOLVED BAYBE

thank me
3rd June 2015, 02:35 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Just in case someone searched and finds this thread - the easiest way to disable the proximity sensor on any rom/kernel is to go through Xposed and this module: http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.m...er.disableprox
Works on 4.4, 5.0.2, Cloudy's rom, Dorimanx's kernel...
27th June 2015, 10:56 PM |#19  

More
Thumbs up Big Thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_North

Now THE FIX:

After almost a week trying to solve this, your answer hit right on the spot! I found it funny how the roms not based on stock LG's are not affected by this issue, but all of the LG's ones (I've tried 4 LG's stock roms and CloudyG2) so I've always assume this was a SW issue (and probably can be addressed via SW) so when I get to your answer saying that could be fix tearing the phone apart I was reluctant to do so, but as I've told you guys I was desperate. On a sidenote, the Stock JB ROM is not affected by this, but it is death slow for this times.

BTW, I've wanted to have a ROM that had the LG's camera app (any version) since the ones that came on the CM ROMs wasn't really good enough for my taste, so now I'm rocking the CloudyG2 3.2 ROM with any issues so far.

Your fix gave my phone some solid 6 more moths of life! (at least!) THANK YOU!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)