Sign Petition: KitKat BREAKS MICROSD FUNCTIONALITY

Search This thread

mr_cg

Aug 24, 2013
Android comes from Open Source and it should stay open for the user. The user should decide if apps are allowed to get write access or not. Similar to the "install apps from unknown sources".

I see no security reason rater than pushing the user to buy new devices with more onboard memory. Its absolutely no-go to remove such fundamental feature from one day to another. I would downgrade to get feature back .... but even this is not possible.

robcoch

Jul 5, 2009
and now ES File Explorer broken too

Or you could update your apps...

App developers just have to update the permissions of their apps and they work fine.

For instance, ES File Explorer can move, cut, paste, rename and delete things just fine. And no, I'm not rooted.

View attachment 2715714

Well the time has come: ES File Explorer recently stopped having the ability to write to the microSD card in my Samsung tablet, SM-T900 Tab Pro 12.2. Same is true for HD File Manager. Both worked fine untile recently.

Samsung My Files app does still work. Probably the only Samsung app i will ever use if i can help it.

Well the time has come: ES File Explorer recently stopped having the ability to write to the microSD card in my Samsung tablet, SM-T900 Tab Pro 12.2. Same is true for HD File Manager. Both worked fine untile recently.

Samsung My Files app does still work. Probably the only Samsung app i will ever use if i can help it.

I've been hearing more people with this issue. It seems the last Android update broke it. (Not simply KitKat as it worked for quite a while, but the most recent small ones.)

Reminds me once more why I don't update unless something's broken...

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Why were they doing this?
They said because it was confusing the average person. I hate to say it I saw it first hand. The average user didn't know the difference. Mix in the fact that people keep trying to install apps to sd cards and then complain to app developers that things don't work right. When the Android system isn't made to have apps on external storage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Or you could update your apps...

App developers just have to update the permissions of their apps and they work fine.

For instance, ES File Explorer can move, cut, paste, rename and delete things just fine. And no, I'm not rooted.

View attachment 2715714

Aren't such apps using a rather flaky loophole to do this which Google will surely close in due course? I can't remember where I read it but if an app is doing anything more than creating its own app specific individual folder on the SD card and writing to that, it's using a workaround that wasn't intended.

Personally I'm ready for a change from Android now. The rot really started when Google forced people to sign up to G+ to leave reviews in the Play Store and it has gradually got worse from there. I seem to recall a certain company called Microsoft got into all sorts of trouble for bundling their own web browser on PCs, but now Google seems to be forcing all sorts of restrictions and conditions on people (wanna use the Play Store fully? You need a G+ account). Daft changes to the GUI that put frequently used items on large screened devices out of reach for single handed use, the demise of the menu button, changes to core apps that either remove functionality or put it further out of reach (e.g Maps) and now KitKat's war on SD cards really make me wish I had kept my old HD2. I would honestly rather go back to Windows Mobile 6.5 with HTC Sense, Co0kie's Home Tab, Task Façade, TomTom GB and a few other apps at the moment. Sorry, rant over, my blood sugar level must be low ;)