[MOD] Remove CarrierIQ

Search This thread

Theoriginalgiga

Nov 22, 2010
Sacramento
So I used an app from the play store (don't remember which, I'm sure it was the first on the list) and before I did any changes with analytics enabled and disabled it showed CarrierIQ was running. I did the bash script chmod them all to 000 and ran the app again with both analytics enabled and disabled and it showed carrierIQ wasn't running. so I don't know what to tell ya. I may have gotten a false negative with the analytics turned on but I still went ahead and disabled carrierIQ

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
I found I had to restore the CarrierIQ files in order to take an OTA update. To make it easier, I threw these together in order to enable and disable CarrierIQ easily...

It needs to run as root in a shell on the phone. The mount command makes the system partition writable. You should reboot after this for the changes to take effect (and for the system partition to go back to read only).

I take no responsibility. If you don't know what you are doing, don't use these.

Code:
# Disable CarrierIQ
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p45 /system
chmod 000 /system/app/HtcLogLevel.apk
chmod 000 /system/app/HtcLogLevel.odex
chmod 000 /system/app/HtcResetNotify.apk
chmod 000 /system/app/HtcResetNotify.odex
chmod 000 /system/app/QXDM2SD.apk
chmod 000 /system/app/QXDM2SD.odex
chmod 000 /system/app/Smith.apk
chmod 000 /system/app/Smith.odex
chmod 000 /system/app/UDove.apk
chmod 000 /system/app/UDove.odex
chmod 000 /system/priv-app/IQ-tmobile-release-unsigned.signed.apk
chmod 000 /system/priv-app/IQ-tmobile-release-unsigned.signed.odex
chmod 000 /system/priv-app/IQToggle_v1.1.3.signed.apk
chmod 000 /system/priv-app/IQToggle_v1.1.3.signed.odex
chmod 000 /system/priv-app/MyBreeze.apk
chmod 000 /system/priv-app/MyBreeze.odex
chmod 000 /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so
chmod 000 /data/data/com.carrieriq.tmobile
chmod 000 /data/data/com.carrieriq.tmobile.IQToggle

Code:
# Enable CarrierIQ
chmod 644 /system/app/HtcLogLevel.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/HtcLogLevel.odex
chmod 644 /system/app/HtcResetNotify.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/HtcResetNotify.odex
chmod 644 /system/app/QXDM2SD.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/QXDM2SD.odex
chmod 644 /system/app/Smith.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/Smith.odex
chmod 644 /system/app/UDove.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/UDove.odex
chmod 644 /system/priv-app/IQ-tmobile-release-unsigned.signed.apk
chmod 644 /system/priv-app/IQ-tmobile-release-unsigned.signed.odex
chmod 644 /system/priv-app/IQToggle_v1.1.3.signed.apk
chmod 644 /system/priv-app/IQToggle_v1.1.3.signed.odex
chmod 644 /system/priv-app/MyBreeze.apk
chmod 644 /system/priv-app/MyBreeze.odex
chmod 644 /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so
chmod 644 /data/data/com.carrieriq.tmobile
chmod 644 /data/data/com.carrieriq.tmobile.IQToggle

Isn't it supposed to be mount -o remount,rw and then the rest?

(btw, mount -o remount,rw /system /system works also...)

barutanseijin

Apr 9, 2014
Lollipop?

Does anyone have the lowdown on lollipop carrier iq? It's clearly there, judging by the message I got on "device health" after the lollipop OTA update. However, I don't see anything with carrier iq in the name. The ciq thing that was in the Kit Kat /system/lib is gone. There's something called smithlib in there now. Not sure if that was in Kit Kat. I don't see the MyBreeze thing in lollipop, at least not where it was in Kit Kat.

Behold_this

Jul 15, 2011
Las Vegas
Does anyone have the lowdown on lollipop carrier iq? It's clearly there, judging by the message I got on "device health" after the lollipop OTA update. However, I don't see anything with carrier iq in the name. The ciq thing that was in the Kit Kat /system/lib is gone. There's something called smithlib in there now. Not sure if that was in Kit Kat. I don't see the MyBreeze thing in lollipop, at least not where it was in Kit Kat.
I did the RUU and got no notification about Carrier IQ when setting up my device. Further more, the ciq & ciq toggle apks are no longer found in /app or /priv-app. Also the option in the settings menu to turn it on or off is gone as well. Frankly Carrier IQ is no longer on this device.

Now, Smith is not tmobile Carrier IQ. That is HTC logging and has been on several devices. As well as udove and some Qualcomm loggers, all of which can be removed and or frozen safely.

Last edited:

syntropic

Mar 11, 2011
Chicago
www.neurozap.com
I did the RUU and got no notification about Carrier IQ when setting up my device. Further more, the ciq & ciq toggle apks are no longer found in /app or /priv-app. Also the option in the settings menu to turn it on or off is gone as well. Frankly Carrier IQ is no longer on this device.

Now, Smith is not tmobile Carrier IQ. That is HTC logging and has been on several devices. As well as udove and some Qualcomm loggers, all of which can be removed and or frozen safely.

You really believe TMO has ceased the practice of tracking their subscribers phones?

Carrier IQ might be obsolete...replaced by a more integrated tracking system. Perhaps?

I have not yet run the update for reasons which include questions such as this.

Behold_this

Jul 15, 2011
Las Vegas
You really believe TMO has ceased the practice of tracking their subscribers phones?

Carrier IQ might be obsolete...replaced by a more integrated tracking system. Perhaps?

I have not yet run the update for reasons which include questions such as this.
I don't have to believe I've looked at the system and I can guarantee you they are NOT using Carrier IQ. The question was is there Carrier IQ in the ROM and the answer definitively is NO. There is no form of Carrier IQ present.

Also they are required to gain your consent for utilizing mechanisms like Carrier IQ due to the data they gather. This is why you used to get the authorization confirmation upon setting your device up the first time. You no longer get that confirmation because they are no longer logging the same activity.

Furthermore T Mobile doesn't need Carrier IQ on your device. They have backend software on their network to track all your messages, all your phone calls, all your app usage, as well as your device performance so you really shouldn't trip. By the way you consented to that when you agree to T Mobile's Terms of Service

Carrier aggregation and device/network optimization through apps like Smith, udove and Qualcomm loggers, on the other hand, do happen and have always happened. This is nothing like Carrier IQ though and should not be confused with it. They are not the same beast. Now, I'm not here to convince you what you should do or believe, nor do I have any interest to.

Last edited:

theob_gyn88

Nov 5, 2013
Fairchild AFB, WA
The T-Mobile One M8 has CarrierIQ.

To remove it you need to be S-off or have a writable booted system. If you haven't made your system writable you can use TWRP's file manager to delete the files.

This also removes HTC logging apps too.

Use a file Manager like Solid Explorer or Root Explorer and go to and delete the following (Make a backup of all if you want to OTA later):

/system/app
QXDM2SD.apk
QXDM2SD.odex
HtcResetNotify.apk
HtcResetNotify.odex
Htcloglevel.apk
Htcloglevel.odex
Smith.apk
Smith.odex
Udove.apk
Udove.odex

/system/priv-app
IQ-tmobile-release-signed.apk
IQ-tmobile-release-signed.odex
IQToggle.signed.apk
IQToggle.signed.odex
MyBreeze.apk
MyBreeze.odex

/system/lib
system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so

/data/data
com.carrieriq.tmobile
com.carrieriq.tmobile.IQToggle

You can use an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout.carrieriqdetector to check if CarrierIQ is gone (You can use it to check that it's there also).

Sounds almost full-proof. I'm fully rooted & S-OFF. Could I use "ES File Explorer" to delete these files, instead of the aforementioned choices? If I choose to delete them through my "TWRP File Manager", what is the specific process?

syntropic

Mar 11, 2011
Chicago
www.neurozap.com
I don't have to believe I've looked at the system and I can guarantee you they are NOT using Carrier IQ. The question was is there Carrier IQ in the ROM and the answer definitively is NO. There is no form of Carrier IQ present.

Also they are required to gain your consent for utilizing mechanisms like Carrier IQ due to the data they gather. This is why you used to get the authorization confirmation upon setting your device up the first time. You no longer get that confirmation because they are no longer logging the same activity.

Furthermore T Mobile doesn't need Carrier IQ on your device. They have backend software on their network to track all your messages, all your phone calls, all your app usage, as well as your device performance so you really shouldn't trip. By the way you consented to that when you agree to T Mobile's Terms of Service

Carrier aggregation and device/network optimization through apps like Smith, udove and Qualcomm loggers, on the other hand, do happen and have always happened. This is nothing like Carrier IQ though and should not be confused with it. They are not the same beast. Now, I'm not here to convince you what you should do or believe, nor do I have any interest to.

Not sure what Smith, udove, and Qualcomm loggers are...if you are referring to native utilities in the OS or what precisely.

As far as T-Mobile, their stock Kit Kat (4.4.4) OS for the M8 had CarrierIQ. If it was so unnecessary because of back-end processes they use, it seems rather excessive to make the use of the "My T-Mobile" app contingent on using CarrierIQ. I have it disabled on 4.4.4 and I cannot use any of the T-Mobile apps.

Plus, I highly doubt that their tracking would be as effective simply by running something on the back-end...which would only be aware of your messages, surfing, etc when you were using the T-Mobile network, and not Wi-Fi. Not to mention that it's not easy to monitor data without hooks informing their network side apps/processes when some event is taking place on the customers phone. So if they are monitoring usage, it can't be that comprehensive. But T-Mobile is a bit better about customer freedom/tracking than say Verizon (if you remember recently it was reported that Verizon was using browser js injections to track customers)

However, customer data is worth a lot of extra income to every carrier. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they are actually tracking. I'll know more when I update.

theob_gyn88

Nov 5, 2013
Fairchild AFB, WA
Just "two" problems.

To remove it you need to be S-off or have a writable booted system. If you haven't made your system writable you can use TWRP's file manager to delete the files.

Use a file Manager like Solid Explorer or Root Explorer and go to and delete the following (Make a backup of all if you want to OTA later):

/system/app
QXDM2SD.apk
QXDM2SD.odex
HtcResetNotify.apk
HtcResetNotify.odex
Htcloglevel.apk
Htcloglevel.odex
Smith.apk
Smith.odex
Udove.apk
Udove.odex

/system/priv-app
IQToggle.signed.apk
IQToggle.signed.odex
MyBreeze.apk
MyBreeze.odex

/system/lib

/data/data
com.carrieriq.tmobile

You can use an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout.carrieriqdetector to check if CarrierIQ is gone (You can use it to check that it's there also).

Once again, thanks for the heads-up. I was able to use "Solid Explorer" to delete all of the files, except two of them.
However, these two files:
/system/priv-app

Were shown as: "IQ-tmobile-release-unsigned.signed.apk" and "IQ-tmobile-release-unsigned.signed.odex" respectively, on my device. Should this make any difference? What do you recommend?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

/system/app
    QXDM2SD.apk
    QXDM2SD.odex
    HtcResetNotify.apk
    HtcResetNotify.odex
    Htcloglevel.apk
    Htcloglevel.odex
    Smith.apk
    Smith.odex
    Udove.apk
    Udove.odex

/system/priv-app
    IQToggle.signed.apk
    IQToggle.signed.odex
    MyBreeze.apk
    MyBreeze.odex

/system/lib

/data/data
    com.carrieriq.tmobile

I found I had to restore the CarrierIQ files in order to take an OTA update. To make it easier, I threw these together in order to enable and disable CarrierIQ easily...

It needs to run as root in a shell on the phone. The mount command makes the system partition writable. You should reboot after this for the changes to take effect (and for the system partition to go back to read only).

I take no responsibility. If you don't know what you are doing, don't use these.

Code:
    # Disable CarrierIQ
    chmod 000 /system/app/HtcLogLevel.apk
    chmod 000 /system/app/HtcLogLevel.odex
    chmod 000 /system/app/HtcResetNotify.apk
    chmod 000 /system/app/HtcResetNotify.odex
    chmod 000 /system/app/QXDM2SD.apk
    chmod 000 /system/app/QXDM2SD.odex
    chmod 000 /system/app/Smith.apk
    chmod 000 /system/app/Smith.odex
    chmod 000 /system/app/UDove.apk
    chmod 000 /system/app/UDove.odex
    chmod 000 /system/priv-app/IQ-tmobile-release-unsigned.signed.apk
    chmod 000 /system/priv-app/IQ-tmobile-release-unsigned.signed.odex
    chmod 000 /system/priv-app/IQToggle_v1.1.3.signed.apk
    chmod 000 /system/priv-app/IQToggle_v1.1.3.signed.odex
    chmod 000 /system/priv-app/MyBreeze.apk
    chmod 000 /system/priv-app/MyBreeze.odex
    chmod 000 /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so
    chmod 000 /data/data/com.carrieriq.tmobile
    chmod 000 /data/data/com.carrieriq.tmobile.IQToggle

Code:
    # Enable CarrierIQ
    chmod 644 /system/app/HtcLogLevel.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/HtcLogLevel.odex
    chmod 644 /system/app/HtcResetNotify.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/HtcResetNotify.odex
    chmod 644 /system/app/QXDM2SD.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/QXDM2SD.odex
    chmod 644 /system/app/Smith.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/Smith.odex
    chmod 644 /system/app/UDove.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/UDove.odex
    chmod 644 /system/priv-app/IQ-tmobile-release-unsigned.signed.apk
    chmod 644 /system/priv-app/IQ-tmobile-release-unsigned.signed.odex
    chmod 644 /system/priv-app/IQToggle_v1.1.3.signed.apk
    chmod 644 /system/priv-app/IQToggle_v1.1.3.signed.odex
    chmod 644 /system/priv-app/MyBreeze.apk
    chmod 644 /system/priv-app/MyBreeze.odex
    chmod 644 /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so
    chmod 644 /data/data/com.carrieriq.tmobile
    chmod 644 /data/data/com.carrieriq.tmobile.IQToggle
    Viper ROM has it removed

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Thank you! I was having trouble finding the iq it is much different from the lg g2 as I used system tuner to disable carrier iq and was having trouble doing the same on the m8! thanks again!

NP
    Love u smiley.U had a great contribution for the g2 now this.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

How do u like it m8 from the g2