[GUIDE] Restore Bootloader Bricked S3 to Stock Firmware AFTER 4.3 update. No Jtag

Search This thread

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Do you mean you cannot boot without the sd? But you can with it? And just so you know, flashing firmware will always write stock recovery to your device. Are you removing the sdcard before you flash?
Can you just flash twrp and then boot into that?

Reactions: xyros7

troolplay1

Jul 19, 2014
Do you mean you cannot boot without the sd? But you can with it? And just so you know, flashing firmware will always write stock recovery to your device. Are you removing the sdcard before you flash?
Can you just flash twrp and then boot into that?

yes i can flash anything, i can flash any twrp or cwm and boot into them, with unbrick sd in the phone or else nothing changes. plus when i flash different firmware it's like its not effecting the room, i boot in the rom and everything is the same no setup and dev mode still on.

and yes i remove sd before i flash firmware. please help and thanks for response

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Ok, I'm having trouble understanding exactly what is happening here. You can flash anything via Odin, but cannot boot into it afterwards unless the sd is in? And then it won't boot what you just flashed, only stock?
Or is custom recovery getting replaced with stock when you boot?
What does Odin say in the message box after flashing? What debrick.img are you using and what firmware are you trying to flash?
You said before you flash the JC firmware, but is it LJC or MJC?

What happens if you boot into TWRP and flash a rom from there?
Sorry if I'm just reading wrong, but I'm just confused as to what you are doing and the results after.

If you can boot to download mode with the debrick sdcard, you should then be able to take it out, flash stock firmware via Odin, then reboot normally. Or flash TWRP with Odin, then reboot recovery. You should no longer need the debrick sdcard at this point.
If that doesn't work for some reason, ill need to know how it bricked. What exactly did you flash? And when you do try to boot without the sd, does anything happen?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

troolplay1

Jul 19, 2014
Ok, I'm having trouble understanding exactly what is happening here. You can flash anything via Odin, but cannot boot into it afterwards unless the sd is in? And then it won't boot what you just flashed, only stock?
Or is custom recovery getting replaced with stock when you boot?
What does Odin say in the message box after flashing? What debrick.img are you using and what firmware are you trying to flash?
You said before you flash the JC firmware, but is it LJC or MJC?

What happens if you boot into TWRP and flash a rom from there?
Sorry if I'm just reading wrong, but I'm just confused as to what you are doing and the results after.

If you can boot to download mode with the debrick sdcard, you should then be able to take it out, flash stock firmware via Odin, then reboot normally. Or flash TWRP with Odin, then reboot recovery. You should no longer need the debrick sdcard at this point.
If that doesn't work for some reason, ill need to know how it bricked. What exactly did you flash? And when you do try to boot without the sd, does anything happen?

am using debirck img in this thread noted NOT FOR 4.3
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2439367

i had 4.1.1, finished my work, tried upgrading to 4.3 (honestly not sure where is that file or what is it named) then it bricked

yes i am able to flash anything, i get in download mode and flash stock (tried both ones you noted)
odin finish progress. phone shuts off and odin says RESET in blue. if phone doesn't have sd, still wont boot. and yes of course i take out the SD before i flash.
excuse my english btw

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
If you can find what you flashed when it bricked it'll be a big help. I'm guessing it was probably something not meant for this device and ended up flashing over sbl1 or one of the modemst partitions. But it's just a guess unless we can take a look at what you had flashed.

Reactions: Jack Test

Jack Test

Nov 18, 2014
Possible to use this method to downgrade from 4.3

This might be off topic, but it is kind of related. If it is off topic, can you point me to the right one. Thanks.

My question, I have T999 which rooted 4.3 every thing works fine, except that data only run at Edge, which basically is unusable, and During the root, I can't upgrade or downgrade to other official ROM. Now I am stuck, and it is kind of brick. I have tried different option to load the modem firmware, changing the configurations. all not working.

I am thinking to downgrade it, and see if I can get the data back to 3G at least.

JustZaphod

Oct 22, 2013
Nowhere
This might be off topic, but it is kind of related. If it is off topic, can you point me to the right one. Thanks.

My question, I have T999 which rooted 4.3 every thing works fine, except that data only run at Edge, which basically is unusable, and During the root, I can't upgrade or downgrade to other official ROM. Now I am stuck, and it is kind of brick. I have tried different option to load the modem firmware, changing the configurations. all not working.

I am thinking to downgrade it, and see if I can get the data back to 3G at least.

Download Kies, and Odin. Then download a factory image from DocHoliday77, make sure Kies is installed, use Odin, select PDA, and then select the image and install.. Profit..

Jack Test

Nov 18, 2014
Download Kies, and Odin. Then download a factory image from DocHoliday77, make sure Kies is installed, use Odin, select PDA, and then select the image and install.. Profit..

Thanks for reply, I have not followed the root 4.3 since last time I did so. I thought there is no way to downgrade, I need to use the SD card acted as the boot, or I can just use Kies and Odin to reflash.

When I search for the factory image by DocHodiday77 I got to this link, there might be something else:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2521742

JustZaphod

Oct 22, 2013
Nowhere
Thanks for reply, I have not followed the root 4.3 since last time I did so. I thought there is no way to downgrade, I need to use the SD card acted as the boot, or I can just use Kies and Odin to reflash.

When I search for the factory image by DocHodiday77 I got to this link, there might be something else:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2521742

Well you can not downgrade your bootloader, that will be there until if another upgrade ever comes..
if you try to Downgrade, it will permanently brick your phone, and make it an expensive paper weight..

acidic

Oct 22, 2009
I'm having simular issues to troolplay1. Tried to install CM11 with the on click installer. said it installed. but was still stock. using the CM wiki method with heimdall, got me CWM installed. but i would get errors installing the CM11 zip. Assert failed: getprop("ro.bootloader" . since CM wiki had note about needing a new boot loader. figure i needed one. so used this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2282603 and did the Flashable UVDMD5 Bootloader / Firmware / Modem update.zip: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...irmware_v4.zip file.

right after a hard brick. using the debrick files brought it back to life (after many failed attemtps with a 8gb card) a class 2 16gb worked. but will only work if the SD card with the debrick IMG is in the phone.

Tried using the CF-Auto-Root-d2tmo-d2tmo-sght999.tar file with ODIN, and 6.0.1.2_CWM_Touch-recovery-image_(Working_SD_Card) but still cant seem to get anything to work without the debrick SD card in it.

Seems to be very hard to get into download mode. have to try 20-30 times, if i do see the screen it just shuts off like it is getting extra key presses to quit.

driving me nuts. thanks for any help.

acidic

Oct 22, 2009
well i finally got cm11 on the phone....

how i got the phone into a state without using the debrick SD image. is downloaded the. T999UVUENC2_T999TMBENC2_TMB.zip root 66 by DocHoliday77. installed via ODIN. phone then would boot up no issue. tried the cm one click install, but that didn't work still, was still stock rom but had the CWM recovery on there. so put on DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0 (1) factory reset wip3, wipe cache, and devick. then from CWM put on CM11. and superSU. Gapps. all good to go. not sure if the regular CM11 file would of worked. as i used my modified file

i followed, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2713885 and just removed the lines from the \META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script file. others added in their version of bootloaders. others commented out....

assert(getprop("ro.bootloader") == "T999UVUENC2" ||
getprop("ro.bootloader") == "T999UVDLJA" ||
getprop("ro.bootloader") == "T999UVDLJC" ||
getprop("ro.bootloader") == "T999UVDMD5" ||
getprop("ro.bootloader") == "T999UVUEMJC" ||
getprop("ro.bootloader") == "T999VVLDLL1" ||
getprop("ro.bootloader") == "T999LUVAMB7" ||
getprop("ro.bootloader") == "T999VVLDMF2" ||
getprop("ro.bootloader") == "T999VVLUEMK5");

i hate knox. good 8h+ spent trying to get cm11 on the phone, but sure is a nice rom.

Jack Test

Nov 18, 2014
Well you can not downgrade your bootloader, that will be there until if another upgrade ever comes..
if you try to Downgrade, it will permanently brick your phone, and make it an expensive paper weight..

OK, guess the warrenty bit 1 would stay there, and I can't upgrade from the official release now.
Thanks for the info

ydnim888

Oct 15, 2014
I have an At&t s3 with 4.3. I flashed it with the wrong bootloader (i747M). Now, the debrick file does not work anymore.
What should I do?
Is there a fix for this?
Or is my phone truly dead now? :(

hugogudino

Feb 24, 2013
galaxy s3 sgh-T999 bricked

I could flash galaxy s3 sgh-T999 bricked with odin and before I remove sd 32gb start after flashing back to stay again bricked?
if you insert the sd 32gb screen goes black but if you insert the sd 32gb if you turn good

i_seeque

Dec 16, 2004
This is the error I'm getting:
Code:
<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/006> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> 
<ID:0/006> There is no PIT partition.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Any advice? Further information here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53503231&postcount=506
i m facing exactly same prob with this t999 16gb edition.
i d posted a similar pic of boot screen that i get upon inserting debrick sd card + power on.
Any remedy you were able to find.
br

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60587273&postcount=647

HotRod11686

Feb 12, 2007
i m facing exactly same prob with this t999 16gb edition.
i d posted a similar pic of boot screen that i get upon inserting debrick sd card + power on.
Any remedy you were able to find.
br

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60587273&postcount=647

I have the same issue with my phone it appears we are one of the few unlucky ones with the Sudden death syndrome NAND Chips. At this PT we are basically 100% fkd and require a JTAG - I've tried countless methods and nothing wants to bring the phone back to life the NAND is just not being recognized. You're better off selling the phone on ebay for parts at this pt.

After all the frustration i had was lucky enough to find someone on ebay selling their cracked screen s3 for cheap and i transplanted the mobo to my current phone. I am lucky this isnt the bad emmc chip inside (downloaded the emmc brickbug check app) so there you have it folks. I am sorry for your loss of your S3 . I know i was mad too.

Symptoms of bad NAND chip - Random reboots for no reason, not able to load nand partitions on recovery when doing anything, cant find PIT files on odin regardless of you selecting the pit files + rom.

Hope this clarifies it for you!

Lonelyskatter12

Dec 15, 2014
Los Angeles
I have a Sprint SGS3 and I get this error any help?
By the Way I have this In Odin Mode

"Could not do normal boot
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SPH-L710
CURRENT BINARY: samsung Official
CURRENT STATUS: CUSTOM
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
WARRANTY BIT: 1
BOOTLOADER RP SWREV: 2
ODIN: flash read failure"

NJ2 bootloader = is 4.4.2
I don't understand why, I was running Exodus it was running perfect but it rebooted on its own and did this after a day or 2...

Attachments

• bootloaderlocked.png
    bootloaderlocked.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, I know there are many threads on restoring a bricked S3, some of them for hard bricks, and some for soft bricks. None of the guides I found by scouring these forums provided all of the answers I needed.

INFO PLEASE READ ALL

Here I hope to outline how I restored my T999 Tmobile S3 to stock firmware after the 4.3 MJC update, and after bootloader bricking the phone. I do assume you are capable of using ADB, ODIN and TWRP. I believe this method will work for other S3 models, but I have no ability to test it. If it will work, firmware and debrick IMGs will have to be found for the specific device. The T999 firmware and IMGs will NOT work with other devices. This will restore to stock UVUEMJC 4.3 firmware. Will not be rooted, but existing 4.3 roots for the device should work.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE. THE TOOLS USED IN THIS GUIDE HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BRICK, OR OTHERWISE DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

So as context, I had been flashing different ROMS; then I updated to stock 4.3 UVUEMJC Firmware. This updated the bootloader, and installed the Samsung KNOX security upgrade. Both the bootloader and the KNOX are problems regarding rooting, rom installation, and downgrading (which I still have not achieved)

After upgrading, I installed a vanilla rootbox. I then attempted to flash the UVDMD5 bootloader at mnasledov's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2282603

Lacking my present understanding, of the 4.3/KNOX problems, I managed to brick my phone by effectively attempting to downgrade the bootloader. Phone appeared to be hard bricked.

I tried many things to fix the phone, these are what worked:

GUIDE:

1. Get a Class 10 MicroSD card and follow KAsp3rd's guide to boot from the SD card: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2439367

You should now be able to boot to download mode, recover, and system if it was undamaged when you bricked your phone.

2. Boot into download mode and install TWRP via ODIN

3. Boot into your new TWRP recovery. Do an ADB sideload of the KNOX removal script found in Kaito95's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507931 Check the clear cache and clear dalvik recovery boxes. You have to do an ADB sideload, because your SD card is in use as a bootloader.

4. Use ODIN with Download Mode to Re-Partion by flashing the PIT file found in invisiblek's downloads here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1848267

The Re-Partition box will have to be checked, and the PIT file loaded under Re-Partition. This is what I believe corrected the download mod fails I had been getting.

5. Use ODIN and Download mode to flash the original UVUEMJC firmware found in DocHoliday77's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1949687

6. In TWRP do a factory reset, and a fix permissions. Reboot into system, (without the SD card)

If all went well you should be in business!

If you see any error in my guide, or have another correction, please let me know. If I have posted this in the wrong section I'll be happy to move it.

I hope this helps you.

ROOTING:

So after fixing my phone via the steps above, I still wanted to root it. To root it I simply ODIN flashed mrRobinson's rooted/deKNOXED 4.3 stock rom from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771687
    It seemed very stable to me.

I then decided to use TWRP to install the CyanogenMod 10.2. If you choose to install CM, I believe you must use the 10.2 branch, because it is 4.3 based. Prior versions are not 4.3, and won't work with the 4.3 bootloaders. You can find the appropriate CM download by selecting your device here: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/ The T999 is d2tmo.

EDIT: YOU CAN RUN OLDER VERSIONS AFTER UPDATING TO 4.3.
    This was pointed out to me by Adreaver. I personally am using rootbox 4.2.2 after having done the 4.3 official update. Any rom for the device should work, but certain lines may need be removed form the updater script. I am still looking into this.

NOTES

This has been confirmed to work on the T999L, but you need a different PIT file, and different firmware for the model. See @mrspock08 's post on page 2 of this thread for more info on the T999L

THANKS

I could not have debricked my phone or created this guide without referencing and using the work of several fine members of this forum. Particular thanks to:

@mnasledov for providing a thread with information about bootloaders.
    @KAsp3rd for providing a way to boot from the SD card, enabling the entire rest of the debrick.
    @Kaito95 for the deKNOX script.
    @invisiblek for the PIT file for correctly repartitioning the phone.
    @DocHoliday77 for the MJC 4.3 Stock Firmware mirror.
    @mrRobinson for the rooted MJC Stock firmware
    @Adreaver for correcting me that you can run an older version of android
    And the threads of many many others who's work I read through while learning about how all of this works.
    Nice guide. I think @DocHoliday77 could use this method because I believe he bricked his phone the same way.

Oh, and I believe you might have made a typo SDB is actually ADB Android debug bridge.
    Great tutorial. An extreme amount of time went into this I can see. Hopefully it'll be able to get @DocHoliday77 back up and running tho. I miss that guy!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Of course! You're right, a typo on my part. Thanks for pointing that out!

No problem, I made more then 1 mistake when I made my first page. So your doing good with only 1.
    If you can find what you flashed when it bricked it'll be a big help. I'm guessing it was probably something not meant for this device and ended up flashing over sbl1 or one of the modemst partitions. But it's just a guess unless we can take a look at what you had flashed.