FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Blackphone opinions???

84 posts
Thanks Meter: 20

Post Reply Email Thread
29th November 2014, 06:33 AM |#21  
Flag I live on the Planet Earth, Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy.
Thanks Meter: 309

More
It would be awesome to see an in depth study of the baseband firmware.

Regarding the GPS, thanks for the info on the transmissions. I thought it was 2-way to allow for syncing and whatnot.

Sent from my SM-N910T using XDA Premium HD app

2nd June 2016, 08:47 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi,

just ordered a BP1 as they are damn cheap theese days.

Anyone knows where to obtain working apks for Play Services and Play Store?

Thanks in advance.
10th November 2016, 10:42 PM |#23  

More
Who knows
The real question is does this device stop police from using things like CelleBrite UFED to get your data. I would think the inventor of PGP knows about security and he is also aware that unless a user makes the effort to do things a certain way, it would not be secure. I also wonder what the underlying phone OS is since that is the real weak point for cell phones. You can have secure android code all day long and it wont matter if the core of the phone is susceptible to attack. "We’d like to give you an example of a secondary operating system, but the fact that there’s almost no public documentation makes it very hard. The best example we can come up with is Qualcomm’s REX OS, which powered the company’s baseband processors since 1999" This is where security is attacked. I am curious as to what hardware the phone actually uses as that matters more than anything else.

"This is just one example of a secondary OS. , Your SIM also has a small processor that runs a tiny kernel that can execute Java software. (The SIM card and its OS was recently hacked, incidentally.) If your computer has some kind of secure storage area, such as ARM’s TrustZone, there’s probably another separate OS and processor in there, too." Given that AT&T secured their phone encryption contract with the gov in the 80's by building in a back door, it can be assumed that subsequent technology from AT&T and its vendor partners would follow suit. So if communication hardware at it's core is compromised then there isn't really much you can do.

They take email encryption as an example. Unless you encrypt the plain text before sending, then it is not secure period! Even though vendors like microsoft and zix mail offer encryption it is not end to end encryption. (SSL and SHA-1 are not truly secure just like a phones chipset) This phone seems to be trying to at least encrypt plaintext communication as they would be aware of the limitations from using third party hardware for the phones core. They questions should be:

If I backup my phone data, is that data encrypted automatically?
Is data stored in plaintext on the device?
Does the device use secure wipe methods for deleting data?
Can the device destroy data complete in case of emergency?

If this phone can do these things then they are certainly providing you better protection than anything else. If you a really want a phone that can enforce security look into the nokia n900. There is a reason that phone was banned by certain governments and why it still will cost you 600 for a brand new one.

-credit to Extremetech.com for partial content
11th November 2016, 02:02 AM |#24  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andronote3

I really don't see how this phone is gonna change anything. Apps and websites have keyloggers, You still need a carrier to get service from and they have control of all your traffic. What about radio frequencies that can be intercepted, IP addresses, GPS chips sending signals to satellites, baseband and firmware are connected thru the cell towers of the carrier. I'm starting to think this phone is a scam.
They said nothing about how they're dealing with all this. They are probably using the whole NSA scandal momentum to fool people into believing they are safe if they buy this phone.

Sent from GNote 3 rooted with kingo.

Go
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)