Frequently Asked Questions-Verizon Galaxy Note 2

Search This thread

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Samsung Galaxy Note II (I605)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What is adb?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I root my phone?[/SIZE]
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2024207 is a complete guide for rooting the GNote 2​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: My device is encrypted, how do I remove the encryption because I can't flash new Roms? [/SIZE]
If you do not have or have forgot your password, you can only factory reset your phone to remove encryption.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: Will rooting affect my battery life?[/SIZE]
No simply rooting the phone should not hamper battery life.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: What is the best ROM?[/SIZE]
There is no best ROM for all users, depends on personal needs and preferences. best to pick a few which look like they meet your needs, and try them out..​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: How do I return to stock?[/SIZE]
You can download the stock rom and return to stock using updated ODIN / Also refer to the link in Q2​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Can I use my SGN2 on other networks?[/SIZE]
At this time you can download GSM version of ROMs from alternate threads to be used on other networks.​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: Can I flash a new recovery without rebooting my GNOTE 2?[/SIZE]
Yes. Place the recovery.img on your sdcard root. Open a terminal emulator and type "su flash_image recovery /sdcard/xxx.img". (Note: The x's are the name of the recovery as some may hold a different name. If not on the sdcard root folder, specify the folder /sdcard/xxx/xxx.img!)​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: Will rooting my device void my warranty?[/SIZE]
Yes. If you have a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 it will void your warranty. If you have another variation in other countries, then you will need to check your Terms Of Service with your provider.​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: How do I use the Sideload function?[/SIZE]
Install a recovery that has sideload functionality.Choose Sideload in recovery. Update the Android SDK to the newest version. Use the command " ADB Sideload (path to where the .zip you want to install is).​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: How Do I stop the PUK has been locked message?[/SIZE]
As per the Verizon Tech Support, they have updated their system and part of that update was the PUK (Pin Unlock Key) Verizon ask that you call them from a seperate handset so that they can reset the PUK in their system.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: I'm having a problem rooting with Odin. What is the easiest way?[/SIZE]
Most others that have had problems have noted success using "Casual".​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: I keep getting text messages from Verizon. 6250 message VZWNMN:1 or 2. What can I do to stop this message ? [/SIZE]
The message is an auto backup notification. You can call VerizonWireless Tech Support and have them turn off Verizon Backup. Or some dev's have included a removal baked in.​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: For some reason I have the updated radio's but get lower connectivity?[/SIZE]
The radios for V4 and C3 are different. V4 runs LTE 14 where as C3 runs LTE 17. If your towers have not been upgraded, Updating your baseband radio's does nothing[/URL].​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: I have gps issues. Why can't I lock onto GPS?[/SIZE]
Some roms have "time" issues with getting a gps lock. This is a known issue with all custom Roms.​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: How do I get the best out of my Rom?[/SIZE]
Depending on what Rom you choose. Once you go to the "THEME" sections there are many more mods for your selected rom. Always try different Roms to fit your liking.​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: After flashing from 4.3 back to TW Rom, I cannot find any of my files.[/SIZE]
In the rollup thread, download the zip and flash via recovery the revert sd card. It will move your files back to the default partition that Pre 4.3 roms search for. .​

[SIZE=+1]Q18: Titanium Backup ask if I would like to restore my original ID Code after I flash roms, what should I do.?[/SIZE]
Do to the mass amount of custom roms, some internel phone setting get changed by default. You should always restore ID codes and native handset information when possible.​

[SIZE=+1]Q19: Can Verizon scan my phone to see if it is rooted?[/SIZE]
There are security features on the VZW servers that can block rooted phones from access. Know that when calling Customer Service, they can actively search your phone and see what version of Android Software you are running.​

[SIZE=+1]Q20: How loud is too loud?[/SIZE]
That realistically is up to you. Rule of thumb, if your sounds is distorted, even the least bit, then lower the settings. Distortion is a warning sign, and prolonged use can damage your hardware.​

[SIZE=+1]Q21: Does CM10.2 Roms work well on the GN2?[/SIZE]
At this time, the only noted flaws of flashing a 4.3 rom are light graphic issues such as tearing and pixelation. Some users have reported decrease in battery life from Rom to Rom dependent on ROM/Kernel configuration .​

[SIZE=+1]Q22: After flashing a rom, I have no 4G Data?[/SIZE]
There are a number of debates on what is causing this issue. There at this time, is no definitive answer to what is causing the problem. Some think it is a problem mostly with ported Roms from other carriers.​

[SIZE=+1]Q23: I have about 4gb of data missing from internal storage I cannot find. Where is it?[/SIZE]
Recovery uses a large amount of data for backups. TWRP saves by default, backups to the /sdcard/twrp or /sdcard/0/twrp directory. Make sure you delete old or unused backups.​

[SIZE=+1]Q24: I need to return my rooted phone for a replacement. Does returning to stock work?[/SIZE]
Yes. Follow the instructions on the forum for unrooting and flash the stock "VRAMC3" Odin stock file. If you flash an earlier version, make sure to accept updates to get your phone back to factory. Relock bootloader. Thanks goes to BoostedB18C​

'This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.'
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Forum Rules | New Users Guide | XDA Tour | Report Posts

Last edited:

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
Recently updated/Active Thread count by Android Version.

Android 4.3

Pac Roms 1 ROM
AOKP Roms 1 ROM
Linaro Roms 1 ROM

Android 4.2.2

Liquid Roms 1 ROM

Android 4.1.2

Multi UI ROMS 1 ROM
TW ROMS 7 ROMS

EXPERIMENTAL ROMS

1 BETA ROM

*Note this list does not include android original development roms as the nature of the roms are subject to change at any given time without notification!

Last edited:
Reactions: droidstyle

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
FAQ's updated with most relevant information from the last 6 months. If any information I have missed please message me and I will get them added within 12 hours.

Also added recent updated thread count by Android Version for easy 1 stop looking up.

Anything you guys see that should be added to this section please feel free to let me know. This way our RC's can get all devices updated with the best information for the users.

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
Our FAQ's are growing and fast. If you see any questions being asked (in threads) that are not listed here, please drop a line so that the questions and fixes can be listed. Your RC's job is to take as much burden off of the Devs as possible, while making for a wonderful learning and imformative section.

boomer539

Nov 2, 2013
Question about number 8

I recently had to revert back to stock and mistakenly chose the root66 4.1.1 rom. I'd really like to get to VRAMC3 because i can't seem to get my bootloader unlocked (trying to get into recovery brings me to a not custom recovery) and I would like to get to the VRAMC3 4.1.2 ROM. Being on the root66 rom means that I'm rooted but i dont' think my bootloader is unlocked. would placing the recovery file on the root of my sd card mentioned in the OP help my situation or hurt it?

johnny_chimpo

Apr 14, 2009
got a new note with latest firmware

I got this note 2 with VRUFND7 im pretty sure that's bad. what are my options? I would like to root it just so ican tether. I have unlimited data plan and would like to continue to use it. if there is any option besides foxfi that does not require you to lock your phone that would be great. That is really the only reason I want to root. any chance there will be an update soon to get around the locked boot loader?

BluGuy

Jun 22, 2011
Enterprise
I got this note 2 with VRUFND7 im pretty sure that's bad. what are my options? I would like to root it just so ican tether. I have unlimited data plan and would like to continue to use it. if there is any option besides foxfi that does not require you to lock your phone that would be great. That is really the only reason I want to root. any chance there will be an update soon to get around the locked boot loader?

No root method for ND7. Also, more than likely there won't be a bootloader upon method.

rsingram

Oct 13, 2014
I have a SCH-I605 on ND7 with 4G. The service sucks. Prior to this, I had a SCH-R950 flashed to PagePlus with 3G and I got way better reception. My question is, how can I improve my 4G reception? Is there a updated radio file that I can flash?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Developers Premium, powered by appyet.com

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Also, does anyone know how to update the prl on SCH-I605 running 4.4.2 stock, without flashing?

DreamFX

Jan 1, 2011
Does verizon rom fit on at&t gn2 ?

What are you asking?

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

I have a SCH-I605 on ND7 with 4G. The service sucks. Prior to this, I had a SCH-R950 flashed to PagePlus with 3G and I got way better reception. My question is, how can I improve my 4G reception? Is there a updated radio file that I can flash?

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Also, does anyone know how to update the prl on SCH-I605 running 4.4.2 stock, without flashing?

ND7 is newest and I have great signal. 3g and 4g are too different things. Maybe try switching to 3g only and see if you get good signal.

Ro6i3

Mar 20, 2011
Santa Rosa
I am currently on Alliance rom 30 with mj9 radio and want to upgrade to the nd7 radio. I downloaded nd7 radio and placed on external SD. Do I just flash in philz and good to go? Or is there any else that should be done first?

coco420

Dec 25, 2010
Nothing in particular i like to test rom i have try tmobile at&t and n7105 rom i have try almost all that work with my i317m note 2

DreamFX

Jan 1, 2011
I am currently on Alliance rom 30 with mj9 radio and want to upgrade to the nd7 radio. I downloaded nd7 radio and placed on external SD. Do I just flash in philz and good to go? Or is there any else that should be done first?

Yes just flash the zip. No other steps.

Reactions: Ro6i3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Samsung Galaxy Note II (I605)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What is adb?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I root my phone?[/SIZE]
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2024207 is a complete guide for rooting the GNote 2​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: My device is encrypted, how do I remove the encryption because I can't flash new Roms? [/SIZE]
    If you do not have or have forgot your password, you can only factory reset your phone to remove encryption.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: Will rooting affect my battery life?[/SIZE]
    No simply rooting the phone should not hamper battery life.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: What is the best ROM?[/SIZE]
    There is no best ROM for all users, depends on personal needs and preferences. best to pick a few which look like they meet your needs, and try them out..​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: How do I return to stock?[/SIZE]
    You can download the stock rom and return to stock using updated ODIN / Also refer to the link in Q2​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Can I use my SGN2 on other networks?[/SIZE]
    At this time you can download GSM version of ROMs from alternate threads to be used on other networks.​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: Can I flash a new recovery without rebooting my GNOTE 2?[/SIZE]
    Yes. Place the recovery.img on your sdcard root. Open a terminal emulator and type "su flash_image recovery /sdcard/xxx.img". (Note: The x's are the name of the recovery as some may hold a different name. If not on the sdcard root folder, specify the folder /sdcard/xxx/xxx.img!)​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: Will rooting my device void my warranty?[/SIZE]
    Yes. If you have a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 it will void your warranty. If you have another variation in other countries, then you will need to check your Terms Of Service with your provider.​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: How do I use the Sideload function?[/SIZE]
    Install a recovery that has sideload functionality.Choose Sideload in recovery. Update the Android SDK to the newest version. Use the command " ADB Sideload (path to where the .zip you want to install is).​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: How Do I stop the PUK has been locked message?[/SIZE]
    As per the Verizon Tech Support, they have updated their system and part of that update was the PUK (Pin Unlock Key) Verizon ask that you call them from a seperate handset so that they can reset the PUK in their system.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: I'm having a problem rooting with Odin. What is the easiest way?[/SIZE]
    Most others that have had problems have noted success using "Casual".​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: I keep getting text messages from Verizon. 6250 message VZWNMN:1 or 2. What can I do to stop this message ? [/SIZE]
    The message is an auto backup notification. You can call VerizonWireless Tech Support and have them turn off Verizon Backup. Or some dev's have included a removal baked in.​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: For some reason I have the updated radio's but get lower connectivity?[/SIZE]
    The radios for V4 and C3 are different. V4 runs LTE 14 where as C3 runs LTE 17. If your towers have not been upgraded, Updating your baseband radio's does nothing[/URL].​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: I have gps issues. Why can't I lock onto GPS?[/SIZE]
    Some roms have "time" issues with getting a gps lock. This is a known issue with all custom Roms.​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: How do I get the best out of my Rom?[/SIZE]
    Depending on what Rom you choose. Once you go to the "THEME" sections there are many more mods for your selected rom. Always try different Roms to fit your liking.​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: After flashing from 4.3 back to TW Rom, I cannot find any of my files.[/SIZE]
    In the rollup thread, download the zip and flash via recovery the revert sd card. It will move your files back to the default partition that Pre 4.3 roms search for. .​

[SIZE=+1]Q18: Titanium Backup ask if I would like to restore my original ID Code after I flash roms, what should I do.?[/SIZE]
    Do to the mass amount of custom roms, some internel phone setting get changed by default. You should always restore ID codes and native handset information when possible.​

[SIZE=+1]Q19: Can Verizon scan my phone to see if it is rooted?[/SIZE]
    There are security features on the VZW servers that can block rooted phones from access. Know that when calling Customer Service, they can actively search your phone and see what version of Android Software you are running.​

[SIZE=+1]Q20: How loud is too loud?[/SIZE]
    That realistically is up to you. Rule of thumb, if your sounds is distorted, even the least bit, then lower the settings. Distortion is a warning sign, and prolonged use can damage your hardware.​

[SIZE=+1]Q21: Does CM10.2 Roms work well on the GN2?[/SIZE]
    At this time, the only noted flaws of flashing a 4.3 rom are light graphic issues such as tearing and pixelation. Some users have reported decrease in battery life from Rom to Rom dependent on ROM/Kernel configuration .​

[SIZE=+1]Q22: After flashing a rom, I have no 4G Data?[/SIZE]
    There are a number of debates on what is causing this issue. There at this time, is no definitive answer to what is causing the problem. Some think it is a problem mostly with ported Roms from other carriers.​

[SIZE=+1]Q23: I have about 4gb of data missing from internal storage I cannot find. Where is it?[/SIZE]
    Recovery uses a large amount of data for backups. TWRP saves by default, backups to the /sdcard/twrp or /sdcard/0/twrp directory. Make sure you delete old or unused backups.​

[SIZE=+1]Q24: I need to return my rooted phone for a replacement. Does returning to stock work?[/SIZE]
    Yes. Follow the instructions on the forum for unrooting and flash the stock "VRAMC3" Odin stock file. If you flash an earlier version, make sure to accept updates to get your phone back to factory. Relock bootloader. Thanks goes to BoostedB18C​

'This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.'
    A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Forum Rules | New Users Guide | XDA Tour | Report Posts
    FAQ's updated with most relevant information from the last 6 months. If any information I have missed please message me and I will get them added within 12 hours.

Also added recent updated thread count by Android Version for easy 1 stop looking up.

Anything you guys see that should be added to this section please feel free to let me know. This way our RC's can get all devices updated with the best information for the users.
    Recently updated/Active Thread count by Android Version.

Android 4.3

Pac Roms 1 ROM
    AOKP Roms 1 ROM
    Linaro Roms 1 ROM

Android 4.2.2

Liquid Roms 1 ROM

Android 4.1.2

Multi UI ROMS 1 ROM
    TW ROMS 7 ROMS

EXPERIMENTAL ROMS

1 BETA ROM

*Note this list does not include android original development roms as the nature of the roms are subject to change at any given time without notification!
    Thank you !
    Helped a lot!