Razr HD & Razr HD MAXX Teardown

Search This thread

TechToday

Nov 4, 2013
Great teardown and tutorial OP! If you need a glass-only repair we are able to do this for you at TechToday. We do it the PROPER way with UV activated glue. Not just a sloppy adhesive-only replacement. 6-month warranty on all repairs. Message us directly for details.

Mention XDA and we provide a hefty discount. Always willing to help out the XDA community. :good:

Aestivalis

Jan 30, 2008
Defective SIM card reader

I picked up a second hand RAZR HD that won't read a SIM (Verizon or otherwise). I'm assuming that there is no easy fix for it, right? Does the entire PCB need to be replaced?

Almighty2

Oct 11, 2012
Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the SIM reader part? Perhaps a easy way is to apply contact cleaner (isoproanol) to the sim card and then insert/reinsert a few times?

Aug 28, 2010
somewhere
My cat likes to chew on things and it cracked my digitizer on the lower left part of the phone is it possible to separate the digitizer from the touchscreen? I do I need to buy the whole screen?

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk

obogobo

Apr 15, 2011
It's alive!

I took a nice solid chunk out of the corner of my screen one night, using the camera's LED as a flashlight to skateboard home in the dark. Either the light wasn't bright enough, I wasn't coordinated enough, or both... regardless I paid $100 for a replacement model under warranty with SquareTrade. Although as expected, the bootloader on this "new" (yeah right) unit wasn't unlockable!

Well thanks to the photos in this thread, I was able to easily transplant the screen from my replacement model to the damaged phone without much hassle whatsoever. Despite the god awful, seriously abysmal picture quality of the replacement screen, at least I'm not stuck with the worst of both worlds in having a locked bootloader too. Many thanks!!

Last edited:

creondai

Jun 5, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
Hey guys what's up?
I believe you got a very interesting reason for upgrading xt926 or international xt925 battery.
This night motorola just said they whould not upgrade Razr Maxx HD to Kitkat 4.4.2.
However, Razr HD xt925 and Droid Razr HD Xt926 is getting upgraded to Kitkat 4.4.2.

I've been trying for long but now it got easier for getting the parts.

An EV40 battery + a razr maxx hd battery cover.

Has anyone tried this and got it done?
TechToday can sell me these parts and send me in here (Brazil)?

Flayzor

Feb 1, 2014
Hey guys what's up?
I believe you got a very interesting reason for upgrading xt926 or international xt925 battery.
This night motorola just said they whould not upgrade Razr Maxx HD to Kitkat 4.4.2.
However, Razr HD xt925 and Droid Razr HD Xt926 is getting upgraded to Kitkat 4.4.2.

I've been trying for long but now it got easier for getting the parts.

An EV40 battery + a razr maxx hd battery cover.

Has anyone tried this and got it done?
TechToday can sell me these parts and send me in here (Brazil)?

Razr Maxx HD has received its upgrade to 4.4.2 KitKat, and 3rd post in this topic answers your second question about the MAXX (EV4) battery on regular version: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37775232&postcount=3

Keiferman

Aug 27, 2014
Razr HD power button

Great tutorial on taking apart the HD. Recently, my power button just broke. Didn't drop it or anything, and it was in a case that was higher than the button, so it's a mystery to me. I would like to take the phone apart to see if I can fix it (or just check it for obvious damage), but I don't want to power the phone off, because I do not know how to power it back up with no button.

Can I take the two halves apart enough to check without disconnecting cables or powering off the phone?

Further, is there a way to power it on without that physical button?

Thanks for your help.

nagim

Nov 24, 2010
Budapest
Great tutorial on taking apart the HD. Recently, my power button just broke. Didn't drop it or anything, and it was in a case that was higher than the button, so it's a mystery to me. I would like to take the phone apart to see if I can fix it (or just check it for obvious damage), but I don't want to power the phone off, because I do not know how to power it back up with no button.

Can I take the two halves apart enough to check without disconnecting cables or powering off the phone?

Further, is there a way to power it on without that physical button?

Thanks for your help.

The plastic button just presses a button soldered on a daughterboard. You can use it to power back on, if you can access it somehow. The power button is on the same side as the ribbon cables, so you have to be very careful when checking it (but I'm not sure if you can see anything from there). Also, the daughterboard which hosts the buttons use a ribbon cable connecting to the mainboard, too. Maybe you can check this also, if it has become disconnected.

Keiferman

Aug 27, 2014
The plastic button just presses a button soldered on a daughterboard. You can use it to power back on, if you can access it somehow. The power button is on the same side as the ribbon cables, so you have to be very careful when checking it (but I'm not sure if you can see anything from there). Also, the daughterboard which hosts the buttons use a ribbon cable connecting to the mainboard, too. Maybe you can check this also, if it has become disconnected.

Thanks, I will proceed with caution. If I understand your graphic, there are 3 screws that hold the plate at the power button and volume sliders, so removing those gets me access to the buttons. It seems like the button is just stuck in, so whatever spring mechanism under the button is either broken or jammed. Seems like it would be easy to replace, so I will give it a shot. Would you recommend a button, or the cable as well for replacement?

Worst case, I guess I could remove the button and use something pointy to get to the button. The ear speaker blew out last week as well, so I suppose I at the end of the useful life of the phone.

Thanks again!

nagim

Nov 24, 2010
Budapest
Thanks, I will proceed with caution. If I understand your graphic, there are 3 screws that hold the plate at the power button and volume sliders, so removing those gets me access to the buttons. It seems like the button is just stuck in, so whatever spring mechanism under the button is either broken or jammed. Seems like it would be easy to replace, so I will give it a shot. Would you recommend a button, or the cable as well for replacement?

Worst case, I guess I could remove the button and use something pointy to get to the button. The ear speaker blew out last week as well, so I suppose I at the end of the useful life of the phone.

Thanks again!

It's not my graphic, but yes, those 3 screws hold the buttons flex cable. The way I see, you should remove the battery too to get to the screws, unfortunately.
You can find them on ebay, here's one for the buttons:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-MOTOROLA-DROID-RAZR-HD-XT926-BUTTON-SET-PARTS-FIX-USA-/131279748548?pt=US_Cell_Phone_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item1e90e1fdc4
And with the flex cable part, if necessary:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-MOTOROLA-DROID-RAZR-HD-XT926-BUTTON-FLEX-CABLE-/111441228800?pt=US_Cell_Phone_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item19f26a3400

amedeh123

Aug 5, 2012
Anyone here already upgraded the XT925 with the maxx battery?

Someone knows where can I buy the battery + back case?

hbenz2008

Jan 11, 2008
I have removed battery from xt 925 just as a curious teardown. Most difficult step I encountered was pulling the battery ?, that sticky isht was very strong. I almost bent it a bit. So, my advice, take your time with the sticky bit, it requires some serious pulling. But it gets done.

amedeh123

Aug 5, 2012
If you do this, pleaaassseee post about how it went and how you put it together and all about it. Pretty please! :angel:

I have removed battery from xt 925 just as a curious teardown. Most difficult step I encountered was pulling the battery ?, that sticky isht was very strong. I almost bent it a bit. So, my advice, take your time with the sticky bit, it requires some serious pulling. But it gets done.

My problem isnt really tearing it down, ive also done a curious teardown on my rhd, my problem is i dont know where to find the parts to do the conversion (battery + back cover)

I can find it on US stores/sites but usually they dont ship internationally

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In case anyone feels like taking their RAZR HD apart, here are some instructions:

1. Get the following items together first:
    • Little dish, to hold screws & parts so they're not lost
    • "T-5" torx screwdriver
    • Plastic or thick wooden toothpicks, for gently prying connectors apart
    • A box to hold the screen/pcb/etc. so they won't get damaged

2. Use the torx screwdriver to remove the two screws on the bottom.
    st01.jpg

3. This little plastic trim is going to fly out of the phone, so point it at your dish on the next step so it doesn't land under your couch.
    st02.jpg

4. Hold the phone like you'd hold a newspaper, and slide the screen up. (Like it was a slider phone). It should move about 1/4"
    st03.jpg

5. The screen will now unfold from the back. It's attached with 2 ribbon cables. You remove the cables by pulling on them
    st04.jpg

6. The screen is now detached. Put it in a box on a high shelf out of your way so it's not lost or stepped on.
    st05.jpg

7. There are 10 black screws to remove. Use your T-5 Torx screwdriver. Put all of them into your dish of safekeeping.
    st06.jpg

8. The metal camera clip (item 2) is now loose. Put it in your dish.
    9. Remove the clear plastic over the speaker connector (item 1). It is held on with medium adhesive, you can use a thin blade to pry it away from the plastic. Put it in your dish.
    10. Pry the button ribbon cable (item 3) off the PCB, it is held with a light adhesive. Then pull it out of the connector in the direction of the arrow (HINT: see maxx pictures)
    st08.jpg

11. Here is the button ribbon cable detached
    st10.jpg

12. The speaker cable plug is held in a "U" shaped channel. You detach it by pulling it towards you (away from the back of the phone). (HINT: see maxx pictures)
    13. (optional) You can remove the camera by pulling the ribbon cable up. Not recommended- they are kind of annoying to re-attach.
    st09.jpg

13. Remove the plastic cover over the battery ribbon cable. It is held on with light adhesive.
    14. Push/pull the battery cable down to detach it. (HINT: see maxx pictures) Remember to use plastic/wood to do this- when shorted, these batteries can literally melt metal instantly.
    st11.jpg

15. With the 2 ribbon cables + speaker cable disconnected, you can now remove the PCB
    st12.jpg

16. The battery is attached with double-sided tape. You have to pry it out by pulling on the sides. There are 2 "battery removal" stickers on the battery which suggest that is where you should pry. However, I found that I could most easily pull up the upper-left corner, which would let me put my fingers underneath to pull it off. Regardless of how you go about it, be gentle, as the battery is somewhat malleable (like clay) so you want to bend it as little as possible
    st13.jpg

17. The locations of the double-sided tape- a little on top, and a bigger one on the bottom
    st14.jpg

18. The speaker is held in place with a light adhesive.
    st15.jpg

Update:

The screen appears to be plastic-welded into its bezel in several spots. The speaker & LED are removable, but the screen is not:
    st16.jpg st17.jpg

Update:

Closer pictures of the back cover and chassis.
    Also a picture of the EV30 battery electronics, for those considering attaching an induction charger. The arrows are:
    Red: Where the battery leads are soldered. Clearly we can't attach charger there because it would bypass the safety electronics
    Yellow: Snugly plugs into a socket on the PCB- no place to attach charging
    Green: Where the plug is attached to electronics. Your best option.
    st18.jpg st19.jpg st23.jpg
    Convert RAZR HD -> RAZR HD MAXX

Are you interested in frankensteining your RAZR HD to have the MAXX battery? YES, it can be done! You don't even have to remove the battery or speaker.

Once you have remove the PCBs from both phones, the back panels are an identical layout.

ss01.jpg

The MAXX back is slightly taller
    ss02.jpgss03.jpg
    Razr HD MAXX Teardown

Are you nervous about taking apart your Razr HD MAXX? No worries, it's exactly the same as the regular version. Let's go to it!

Remove screws and slide up
    sm01.jpg sm02.jpg

Unfold the screen and detach
    sm03.jpg sm04.jpg sm05.jpg

Close-ups of the PCB
    sm06.jpg sm07.jpg

Prying up the speaker connector
    sm08.jpg

Prying up the button cable
    sm09.jpg

Pushing down the battery connector. Once it's pushed down this far, you can pry it up from underneath (where the arrow points).
    sm10.jpg

PCB removed, and close-ups of the battery sitting in the battery tray
    sm11.jpg sm12.jpg

The MAXX battery: model EV40 ... 3300mAh!
    sm13.jpg
    Grant2, did u so that little tutorial yourself?
    Yes the pictures + text are all mine. Have the higher-resolution pix but i downsized them all to 640x640 to fit on the forums.

Thanks for the compliments!
    Its 2460/2530 mAh. I wonder what does that mean.. does it mean its in between this?
    "2460/2530 mAh (min/typ)" ... i take that to mean:

2460 mAh = minimum (guaranteed by the manufacturing process and/or quality assurance testing)
    2530 mAh = typical (most batteries will have this amount)

What's interesting is the "9.3/10Wh (min/typ)", which has double the tolerance (7%) as the mAh (2.8%)

2460 mAh @ 3.8v = 9.3Wh
    2530 mAh @ 3.8v = 9.6Wh

So I suspect that the package, for whatever reason, overstates the "typical" Wh slightly.