How To | M8 Hong Kong | Downgrade with S-ON | To S-OFF

Search This thread

anddiiss

Jul 15, 2012
Riga
Well, I guess if our M8's have 3.18 HBOOT then it's is pretty much over and we can't downgrade it to a lower version unfortunately.

anddiiss

Jul 15, 2012
Riga
The short answer is - yes!
Messing with your phone's Hboot can be very dangerous. If you do something wrong, you're risking a PERMANENT brick which basically means that Bootloader won't be able to pass instructions in order to boot up the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davste93

007ksh

Dec 26, 2011
htc m8y

My HTC m8y locked
and s-on
I'm in 4.4.2
FW 1.54.401.5
this work for me

bigd4ve

Apr 12, 2013
London
I'm gutted I jumped the gun and used the OTA updates to update the firmware before finding this thread.

If anyone is brave enough to try this on HBOOT 3.19 please let us know how it went. Sunshine not compatible yet so this is the only solution I've found to S-OFF CID HTC__622 and I'm so annoyed with myself that I updated and now cannot do it.

anddiiss

Jul 15, 2012
Riga
Doesn't matter if you updated or not, obviously your HBOOT was 3.18 prior to updating, which basically means that you didn't have any options anyway unless you updated twice or more. This method, simply put, was for all HK users still on 4.4.2 KitKat, if I remember correctly then your HBOOT had to be 3.16 for this to work. Sunshine will include support for 3.18 and 3.19 HBOOT's in the 3.0 release but that's only happening after a month or something. No precise ETA was given for obvious reasons.
If I were you I'd steer clear of this thread and the instructions mentioned in the first post. As I said before, chances are that someone might just end up bricking their device for good if done something wrong. As an inexperienced user myself and a newcomer to the Android OS I personally wouldn't want risking doing something wrong, haha, my heart almost stopped when I ended up having my first boot loop.

Besides, I still don't get it how did the guy in the first post manage to downgrade his HBOOT, isn't that impossible with S-ON? My phone came with 4.4.2 out of the box, at that time I didn't even bother coming to XDA so I just went for an OTA update, haha, which basically rendered my chances of successfully s-offing my device - impossible.

The only reason why I'm eager to wait for Sunshine support to S-Off my device is to try out H/K sound mod. That's it! :D

Last edited:

bigd4ve

Apr 12, 2013
London
I've only had the phone for about 3 weeks and it shipped with 4.4.2 and HBOOT 3.16 as in the OP so I could've given this a go if I had done some more research before going via the OTA route to update my firmware.

Decided I didn't really need S-OFF and I don't, but now realising I want it especially after taking it for granted with my previous device (HTC Sensation XE). Wanted to try a custom ROM straight away and knew I needed a firmware update for the latest ones to work properly.

I guess I'll have to live without S-OFF and SuperCID or at least until sunshine is supported.

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
is this method work with china verison that named htc m8_TL??

Some people dont care, also if sunshine was free I would donate to them to keep up the good work anyways. :)

it just does not work like this. the OP was lucky in all the variables. I can guarantee you it will not work on the higher hboots (I mean to go back to a lower software version for s-off)

and you can't downgrade the hboot on a s-on device ! 1000% you can't

vriship

Apr 7, 2010
Sorry if this has been asked before, but i have a Harman Edition sprint M8 which i am trying to downgrade to be able to use the sim unlock by replacing htcomadmspcs.apk. I am using RUU Sprint_HTC_One_M8_Harman_1.54.654.9_RUU.
I have S-ON Boot loader has been relocked. Will i be able to downgrade to 1.54.654.9 without s-off?

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Sorry if this has been asked before, but i have a Harman Edition sprint M8 which i am trying to downgrade to be able to use the sim unlock by replacing htcomadmspcs.apk. I am using RUU Sprint_HTC_One_M8_Harman_1.54.654.9_RUU.
I have S-ON Boot loader has been relocked. Will i be able to downgrade to 1.54.654.9 without s-off?

No you can't. You need s-off to downgrade the bootloader.....btw i posted the same thing just 1 post above yours .....not sure how you missed that ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Out of the Box, my M8 comes with 1.60.708.2.
    I've been so upset that I can't go S-OFF with Firewater.
    As for Sunshine method, in-app payment declined my credit cards (Myanmar).

And even with my Fav custom ROM, due to base OS difference, there were problems with boot time, boot logo, ...

Finally I found this site

http://bbs.gfan.com/android-7496959-1-1.html

These are what I did.

Stock Nandroid backup and Stock recoveries downloaded from this thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701376

1. I firstly restored to 1.60.708.2 by restoring Stock Nandroid from that thread via TWRP recovery.

2. Restored to Stock recovery from that thread.

3. Relocked the bootloader.

4. Download this and rename to HBOOT.zip
    http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=2359888657&uk=622017286

Download this and rename to 0P6BIMG.zip
    http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=2360886064&uk=622017286

5. Enter RUU mode by the command:

fastboot oem rebootRUU

Then flash HBOOT by

fastboot flash zip HBOOT.zip

6. Then, transfer the downloaded 0P6BIMG.zip to the root of mSD via Card Reader, then insert to the phone.

7. Reboot to bootloader by

fastboot reboot-bootloader

ROM flashing will start automatically.
    It will take a long time to complete.

Then ur phone will boot up with 1.54.708.5 downgraded OS.

8. Then Unlock Bootloader.
    9. Flash TWRP recovery.
    10. Root with SU zip in TWRP.
    11. Finally, use Firewater to get S-OFF.

DO IT WITH YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY

I've tried this method and now with SuperCID :D
    I just purchased sunshine a couple of days ago :( this made me sad. $25 is not so cheap.

Sunshine devs won't be happy with this post. lol

"lol" sunshine devs are the firewater devs.
    Downgrading hboot is never possible with s on. The reason the method in OP worked is the hboot in the "ota version" and the "downgrade version" were both the same.

That said, hboot version has nothing to do with firewater (or sunshine for that matter).
    And yet you can afford this phone and a Sony Xperia Z2. O the mysteries.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you.

buying two devices doesn't make 25 dollar for a s-off (per device) cheap. Developers have been offering such services on XDA free for years. And there are always people who are willing to donate to appreciate their effort.

Remember there was a bounty thread where people were willing to pay up to 2 grand for s-off. But the devs asked us to pay a premium price per device, and that's just not in the spirit of XDA.

This is just my two cents. and you have every right to disagree with me.