UCUFNE4 to UCUFNJ1 update 16 gig AT&T I747

Search This thread

pc103

Jul 7, 2007
Thanks again enewman17 for your awesome contributions to this community! I followed the OP and got a 100% satisfactory update from my long-held UCUEMJB/MG2 combination.

It seems to be a leaner and snappier TouchWiz having as good or better battery life once debloated. A few more observations follow:

1. I'm pleasantly surprised App Ops Starter still works on NJ1.
2. After unsuccessfully troubleshooting I loaded Google Keyboard from Play Store to work around Samsung Keyboard's annoying bug that arrived when I updated; namely the Samsung top row alpha keys that included extended characters within their long-press preview popups would
(a.) not automatically post their default numeric character and
(b.) hang uselessly until a second tap to actually post a character choice
(c.) require a third tap elsewhere to finally fade out of view.
Thankfully, no such issues occur with Google Keyboard here.
3. No idea why, but I noted my system time needed to be toggled from GMT -6 to my GMT -5 locale.
4. After completing the multiple taps on [Settings...Baseband] to unlock Developer Options, it came up on (right green slider) by default, with USB Debugging enabled.

That said, after finally taking the upgrade plunge & following your generous write ups, I am one happy camper!

Reactions: enewman17

imcol

Sep 13, 2012
I have a major problem! I cannot use any apps because my apps have no access to the INTERNAL storage. It is frustrating because nothing loads. Cannot save Google Drive files, pictures don't load on any apps, and cant use apps that need the internal storage to function.

enewman17

Sep 20, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
I have a major problem! I cannot use any apps because my apps have no access to the INTERNAL storage. It is frustrating because nothing loads. Cannot save Google Drive files, pictures don't load on any apps, and cant use apps that need the internal storage to function.

Only thing I can really think for you to do is use the s3 stock recovery and do a full wipe. This thread has everthing. http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3-att/general/rooted-ucufnj1-stock-rom-t2985006

backup everthing and do a factory reset from within the ROM you can do it form within the stock recovery, just make sure the internal sd gets formated. Not really sure what else to do.

imcol

Sep 13, 2012
Only thing I can really think for you to do is use the s3 stock recovery and do a full wipe. This thread has everthing. http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3-att/general/rooted-ucufnj1-stock-rom-t2985006

backup everthing and do a factory reset from within the ROM you can do it form within the stock recovery, just make sure the internal sd gets formated. Not really sure what else to do.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I read through this thread and came across that solution but I have one major problem. My power button is broken so I cannot physically do the "wipe data" in the stock recovery. Do you know any workarounds?

Groot

Mar 7, 2013
Bacolod
I've read this whole thread but can't find clarifications...

I've downloaded the NJ1 bootloader and modem flashable zip. Now I'm on a cm12 alpha build, NE4 modem and bootloaders from enewman's older thread... Will i be safe if i flash the modem+bootloader NJ1 zip? Thanks!

dirkdigles

Nov 23, 2010
Chicago
Hey, I'm still on NE4 running great. I want to upgrade to NJ1, however I'm running ibudder's NE4 stock-based kernel and want to make sure it works on NJ1 before I upgrade (and since there's no going back it's kind of hard for me to test).

Here's the kernel - linked from ibudder's post in the Likewise thread. It's v0.3 of his kernel, same one I use:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=55797154#post55797154
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tbft5quy04t20w/m2attibuddlerv0.3.zip?dl=0

If at all possible, would anyone on NJ1 mind flashing this kernel and reporting back if it works? @enewman17 theorized that it would work without issue but doesn't have a device to test on.

Any feedback much appreciated!

melvinaury

Jan 11, 2009
Hatillo
I'm using S3RX 4.0 that is NE4 based. Using NJ1 bootloader and modem. It's working perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

I'm using S3RX 4.0 that is NE4 based. Using NJ1 bootloader and modem. It's working perfect.

With the kernel that you indicated.

Reactions: dirkdigles

dirkdigles

Nov 23, 2010
Chicago

With the kernel that you indicated.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Oh nice!

That clears that up. Followup question then -

If I do a nandroid backup of my NE4 setup, and then I follow the instructions in the OP to install NJ1, can I restore my NE4 nandroid afterward (which is just a stock rooted that I debloated myself) without issue? Or would I have to debloat NJ1 all over again?

Reactions: canodroid15

bloodstorm666

Jan 15, 2014
Im on Beanstalk 4.4.4 using NE4. IS it worth upgrading to NJ1? Will it work? Can i just flash the "Flashable NJ1 Bootloaders and modem" file and be done with it. Thanks!

canodroid15

Apr 5, 2014
Town Creek Alabama
www.teamoctos.com
Oh nice!

That clears that up. Followup question then -

If I do a nandroid backup of my NE4 setup, and then I follow the instructions in the OP to install NJ1, can I restore my NE4 nandroid afterward (which is just a stock rooted that I debloated myself) without issue? Or would I have to debloat NJ1 all over again?

I also wonder if my old NE4 nandroids are still good now that I've updated to NJ1? If not we will have to download the stock rooted NJ1 rom which is fine although I am curious about old backups

Reactions: bloodstorm666

dirkdigles

Nov 23, 2010
Chicago
OK, its been a few weeks since the NJ1 update. Just wanted to pass on some background info...in case others were experiencing the same problems as me on NE4. I'd LOVE to be able to scour through the baseband code and see what IS different but whatever.

On NE4, in low signal areas, I'd get dropped calls or (a "crackly" call right before a dropped call) as well as what I would call degraded performance on Wifi (i.e. 24mb down in the house but the best the phone would do is 5mb down).

These issues appear to have been fixed on NJ1. Also...screen mirroring (I have a Samsung Smart TV) works as intended with no to very little lag.

I wish they would have fixed a camera app bug (if you set Auto-Contrast to ON...the setting does not persist (stick) once you close the camera app.

I want to thank the OP again for this thread...Its hard to believe that my 2 year old GS3 paired to a ZeroLemon 7000mah battery is pretty much still fulfilling my smartphone needs, but it is. I'm more than likely going to keep it for another 6-7 months until I finally relent and upgrade.

I can say that, after only updating my boot loader and modem to NJ1, Wi-Fi performance is still a joke. Standing within feet of my Netgear WNR2000, initial connection is full speed, but within seconds drops to 10-20mbps, often staying as low as 5mbps. Can't even watch an HD youtube video without stuttering.

Also tried on my friend's Asus AC router. Speed still pathetic. Not quite as bad (speed tests around 12mbps vs 5 for my router, both isps much higher speed), but still overall crap.

I'm still on my NE4 debloated rom with ibudders kernel... Perhaps I should try the nj1 rom? Maybe the Wi-Fi issues were actually rom based

EDIT: I've swapped out the WNR2000v1 for a v3 I had lying around. Connection stability problems fixed instantly - connection holds steady at 72mbps now. Speedtests still a bit slow compared to my connection speed though. I get 35Mbps down on my wired PC, but only 10Mbps on my GS3.

Last edited:

hatboy03

Dec 28, 2014
reduce heSoque

my phone is currently on NE4 so do I flash both the Flashable Rooted NJ1 system.img and boot.img, and Flashable NJ1 Bootloaders and modem?

canodroid15

Apr 5, 2014
Town Creek Alabama
www.teamoctos.com
my phone is currently on NE4 so do I flash both the Flashable Rooted NJ1 system.img and boot.img, and Flashable NJ1 Bootloaders and modem?

You can flash the bootloaders & modem.zip only & be fine you don't have to flash the NJ1 ROM but its a good idea to download it & keep it handy on extsd or PC or both. In just flashed the boatloader & modem while on a cm12 LP build, but I got the NJ1 stock rooted system.img handy just in case I need to go back to stock

hatboy03

Dec 28, 2014
You can flash the bootloaders & modem.zip only & be fine you don't have to flash the NJ1 ROM but its a good idea to download it & keep it handy on extsd or PC or both. In just flashed the boatloader & modem while on a cm12 LP build, but I got the NJ1 stock rooted system.img handy just in case I need to go back to stock

If I only flash the bootloaders and modem.zip do I still need to go through the steps (flash the restore zip, use triangle away, and install the update)? Thanks.

canodroid15

Apr 5, 2014
Town Creek Alabama
www.teamoctos.com
If I only flash the bootloaders and modem.zip do I still need to go through the steps (flash the restore zip, use triangle away, and install the update)? Thanks.

OK are you on stock NE4?

---------- Post added at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Here check this out, this is what I used to get rooted NJ1 without all the hassle be sure to read the entire thread all you need to know is there! Hope this helps ya bro!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2985006
Its a little less complex, I did do it from CM12 tho, not stock, but I believe it will work for you as its already rooted. After you get to NJ1 make a backup &flash a ROM or just stay stock if you wish, the thread I just linked is a lot newer & its all flashable thru any custom recovery!

Last edited:

mf1tym

Apr 20, 2013
I have a completely stock S3 from AT&T never rooted. I recently took the OTA update to NJ1 now. Am I now still able to root and install custom recovery to the phone? Or my bootloader is now locked down with this new OTA update?

Reactions: vtails

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The development for the AT&T I747 has been discontinued by the developer. Thank you for your support.

WARNING: YOU COULD BRICK YOUR PHONE
    UCUFNJ1 4.4.2 incremental update contains firmware.... bootloaders and modem baseband.
    MUST BE ON UCUFNE4 FIRMWARE TO CONTINUE!!!
    Guide can be found here. http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3-att/...are-update-t2808654/post53984772#post53984772

This is the perfect time to use this update to return your S3 to stock for resale or whatever. Download and save these files for when you are ready to return your phone to stock.

*This is a rooted NE4 system.img, stock recovery.img and boot.img. The install script will format system and factory data reset. /media is safe.*
    1. Flash restore zip in a custom recovery. CWM, TWRP, Philz. https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001611561
    2. Boot your phone and go through setup.
    3. Use triangle away and clear your counter. http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/orig-development/2014-01-15-triangleaway-v3-26-t1494114
    4. *Optional* If you want a clean un-rooted phone for the update do this now! , Go into SuperSu >settings>full unroot.
    5. Reboot your phone.
    6. Search for the OTA in the about settings, download and let the phone update.
    Or download this and place in the root of your phones internal storage. Reboot into recovery and select the update from update.zip https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001611091

Advanced users.
    The original OTA cfg file. https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001611092
    .cfg file goes in root/cache/fota
    Rename the .cfg extension to .zip and you can rename it update.zip yourself or you can actually flash it in a custom recovery once renamed. if you choose not to use the stock recovery to update.

*You will loose root during the update* But the bootloader is not locked so you can still Odin your favorite recovery and flash SuperSU.
    TWRP 2.8.1.0 Odin tar. http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/d2att/openrecovery-twrp-2.8.1.0-d2att.tar
    SuperSU http://download.chainfire.eu/589/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.16.zip?retrieve_file=1

Once you flash your favorite recovery via Odin, you need to be ready to hold the Volume Up, Power and Home button combo when Odin reboots your phone. If you don't catch it, once the OS boots it will replace recovery with the stock version. Once SuperSU is installed your recovery will stick.​

Flashable Rooted NJ1 system.img and boot.img
    MD5: 6df80e42df56ddf90512f4162e645cb3
    Download: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001613266

Flashable NJ1 Bootloaders and modem. *Must be on NE4 bootloaders prior to flashing.*
    Download: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95832962473396872
    OK, its been a few weeks since the NJ1 update. Just wanted to pass on some background info...in case others were experiencing the same problems as me on NE4. I'd LOVE to be able to scour through the baseband code and see what IS different but whatever.

On NE4, in low signal areas, I'd get dropped calls or (a "crackly" call right before a dropped call) as well as what I would call degraded performance on Wifi (i.e. 24mb down in the house but the best the phone would do is 5mb down).

These issues appear to have been fixed on NJ1. Also...screen mirroring (I have a Samsung Smart TV) works as intended with no to very little lag.

I wish they would have fixed a camera app bug (if you set Auto-Contrast to ON...the setting does not persist (stick) once you close the camera app.

I want to thank the OP again for this thread...Its hard to believe that my 2 year old GS3 paired to a ZeroLemon 7000mah battery is pretty much still fulfilling my smartphone needs, but it is. I'm more than likely going to keep it for another 6-7 months until I finally relent and upgrade.
    I've read this whole thread but can't find clarifications...

I've downloaded the NJ1 bootloader and modem flashable zip. Now I'm on a cm12 alpha build, NE4 modem and bootloaders from enewman's older thread... Will i be safe if i flash the modem+bootloader NJ1 zip? Thanks!

Yeah you'll be fine.
    I know mrrocketdog has already replied, I am just adding to that answer.

Part of the confusion comes from how people define "locked bootloader." A large part of this community considers a "locked bootloader" to be one that will not allow you to flash unsigned ROMs, recoveries, etc. This does not exclude those bootloaders blocking the ability to downgrade to previous bootloaders. Using that definition all of the AT&T bootloaders for this device would be unlocked. You are still able to flash TWRP, CWM, and PhIlz custom recoveries as well as custom ROMs; both TouchWiz and AOSP/CM. This is the "locked bootloader" definition I work with.

Others would say that, in and of itself, the inability to downgrade the bootloader classifies a bootloader as locked.

I would consider the SGS3 on Verizon service to have a locked bootloader if you took the update to NE1 (4.4.2). You can not install a custom recovery. Other than the 4.4.2 stock ROM there are only two other ROMs you can use, both stock based I believe. They must be installed from within SafeStrap, not a custom recovery. It definitely can not be downgraded. Fortunately it can still be rooted.

I went into more depth about the bootloaders here.
    NJ1 flashable rooted system.img and boot.img to update from NE4 is in the OP.