[HOWTO] adb / sideloading / superuser access

Search This thread

sqkid89

Jul 8, 2010
After rooting the ouya I resently connected it to my pc and it doesnt show up at all under device manager.

Update: I did a factory reset and ouya showed up under mobile device and other device and I was able to have it show up as android adb device but when I run this command
adb kill-server
echo 0x2836 >> "%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini"
adb start-server
adb devices
theres no number after adb devices

Update: got it working

What did you do to fix this? Having same result. Thanks!

dh4645

Aug 19, 2010
PA
What did you do to fix this? Having same result. Thanks!

i think thats what mine originally did..when i went into the device manager, there were 2 listings for ouya and one had an exclamation sign of a missing driver (not the same one as mentioned in the instructions) so i updated the driver and then i got a device #

sqkid89

Jul 8, 2010
figured it out. since i have windows 8 64-bit (and amd processor?), had to add the same lines to NTamd64 in the inf file. also had to reboot and turn off driver signature. thanks for the help

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
so I have a problem. I had just rooted and installed CWM on my OUYA yesterday. I was going to make a backup, but as I just finished installing CWM a friend walked in I haven't seen in years and wanted to play, so I didn't get around to the backup. I started messing with this, I plugged up to windows, connected to adb and everything was working fine, went through the first steps to setting up wireless adb, I got through
Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP
chmod 666 system/build.prop

and I accidentally skipped the step to pull the build.prop and tried to run the service xxx.xxx.xxx:5555 whatever the IP is, and i of course got a failure so I went back and looked, and tried to pull the build.prop and it pretty much told me that my device was no longer connected. I exited, killed the adb server and tried to restart it, and no devices showed up. I turned my ouya on and off and it worked, I tried adb again, didn't work. then I rebooted the OUYA again, only to a black screen. adb is not connecting to my device, and my device is not loading on my TV. So I ran OUYA ToolBox by foil to see if there was anything I could do there, and when I pull it up, it shows my device connected at the bottom with the id that adb usually pulls up 015d8eb1855c060a. And to get the ToolBox working, I had to use your directions for modifying the adb_winusb.inf file before I could get it working because it needs to connect through adb. so SOMEHOW ToolBox is connecting through adb, but I cannot connect to adb through command prompt. Do you think running these few commands, doing the mount, remount, and chmod build.prop and do you think that running the code that I needed to edit (service ip:5555 as a command) could've bricked the device? That makes no sense to me, it would just seem that it would've failed. I don't know what's going on here. If you could help me with this it would really help. I don't know how to get in and do a factory reset because I can't pull up the screen and I can't factory reset through ToolBox. If you can help me it would save my day.

When you didn't change the permission of the build.prop, your Ouya is softbricked.
If you have no way to access ADB shell to fix the permissions you have to reflash the firmware.
Download the latest firmware here: https://ouyafw.skumler.net/

shutdown your Ouya, plug a USB keyboard on, boot it and hold down ALT+PRINT SC+I several times until you get into the recovery.
If you see the Ouya logo with an ! press home.
Flash the new Firmware via ADB in recovery, sideload the zip with "ADB sideload filename.zip"
If you have luck your Ouya might haven't lost all data.

Reactions: dh4645

rossdret

Aug 29, 2011
San Antonio
How did you update the driver? Im using win7 and I have searched high and low. I even installed the Samsung keis software as suggested in this thread but no luck.

Same issue with me...doesnt list any devices.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

TadeoNYC

May 9, 2013
New York
How did you update the driver? Im using win7 and I have searched high and low. I even installed the Samsung keis software as suggested in this thread but no luck.

Same issue with me...doesnt list any devices.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I accidentally discovered a great tool to cleanup and install as well as test adb drivers. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43869563

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: rossdret

Petesky

Jun 17, 2008
Should this work on Windows XP, I followed instructions in first post and I've got the usb driver installed but it just wont work , should I have usb debugging turned on , I've tried it on and off ,when its off I can see contents of ouya on my pc ,with it off it's looking for an mtp driver

Midnitte

Jun 17, 2010
New Jersey
Followed original OP directions, then tried universal + original + adding to AMD64 section (Using Windows 8 64 bit on AMD) plus disabling driver verification... still no work :(

cnnxda

Mar 1, 2011
i tried everything and when i finish the first part of the command. adb devices.. i dont get any sserial number. all i get is "device is listed" or something similar.

any help? i opened ouya toolbox and doesnt recognize the ouya.

i have already rooted it via the sideload method.

elmerohueso

Nov 29, 2010
Provo
Bumping this up as the newest OTA update breaks the oneclickroot app. OUYA rep says the update should still ship with terminal/ADB root access, like always, so manual method should still work (I don't have access to my OUYA to test, though).

lscheres

Mar 20, 2011
This does in fact still work for the new OTA... first time i had to do it this way, the new hotfix made all the buttons on my mele f10 pro stop working

Reactions: circledrag

lscheres

Mar 20, 2011
For some reason after the recent update i cant get root back even doing it manually. I have adb access and have busy box and super user installed on the ouya. Even uninstalled and reinstalled and restarted and still super user wont update the binarys..... I dont know what im doing wrong. Ive done this before a million times. Did anything change in the recent update???

rah2501

Aug 8, 2011
Link for busybox, superuser and su binaries no longer working.

HOW TO INSTALL BUSYBOX, SUPERUSER, AND SU BINARIES

2. Download and unzip the needed files here.

Unforunately this link no longer works. Does anybody have a copy of the file that this link used to go to?

Thanks.

Edit: For those who may come after me, I found an archive here that contains superuser.apk, busybox.apk and su binaries. Not tested yet though.

Last edited:

ivanovjohn2018

Jan 20, 2018
Hi, the device is not detected on the computer in the device manager in any way, adb does not work. Only the fastboot works.How easy is it to make adb work? The problem is that the device is not detected in Windows and device manager.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone! I put together some information on how to do a few things on your new Ouya! This info is by no means my own original contributions, but rather just a compilation of several different sources that I discovered through my quest to explore my Ouya. All credit goes to the original authors/brave experimenters.

SDK SETUP:

1. Install the Android SDK

2. Open SDK Manager and install the following packages:
    - Tools: Including both Android SDK and Android SDK
    - Android 4.1 (API 16): SDK Platform
    - Android 4.0 (API 14): SDK Platform
    - Extras: Android Support Library, Google USB Driver

3. Navigate to /android-sdk/extras/google/usb_driver

4. Open android_winusb.inf in an editor (I use Notepad++)

5. Add the following lines beneath [Google.NTx86]:

Code:
    ;OUYA Console
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2836&PID_0010
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2836&PID_0010&MI_01

6. Connect your Ouya via micro USB to your computer and turn it on (it needs to be on for adb to work)

7. Open a command window in /android-sdk/platform-tools and run the following commands:

Code:
    adb kill-server
    echo 0x2836 >> "%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini"
    adb start-server
    adb devices

8. After 'adb devices' you should see a number, which signifies your connected console

9. You are now ready to use adb to sideload apps

=============================================================================================================

SIDELOADING APPS:

1. Place the desired .apk file to be installed within /android-sdk/platform-tools

2. Connect the Ouya and open a command window in /android-sdk/platform-tools and run the following command:

Code:
    adb install [name.of.apk.file.here]

3. Wait for it to complete the installation

4. On the Ouya, navigate to 'Make' and 'Builds' and your app will be there

=============================================================================================================

ADDITIONAL STUFF BELOW

HOW TO SET UP WIRELESS ADB (will allow you to wireless use adb command, without connecting directly to your computer)

1. Connect OUYA console via mini-usb (or using wireless adb) and run the following commands:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    chmod 666 /system/build.prop

2. Open another terminal (so we can do things locally) and run the following command:

Code:
    adb pull /system/build.prop

3. Open build.prop in a text editor, add this line:

Code:
    service.adb.tcp.port=5555

4. Return to the second command window and run the following command:

Code:
    adb push build.prop /system

5. Now go back to your shell for the OUYA and run the following commands:

Code:
    chmod 644 /system/build.prop
    (seriously! the console won't boot if you forget this)

Code:
    mount -o ro,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP

6. Disconnect your OUYA, put it where you want it, reboot it.

7. To wirelessly connect to your OUYA, use the following command:

Code:
    adb connect 192.168.xxx.xxx
    (your OUYA's ip address)

HOW TO INSTALL BUSYBOX, SUPERUSER, AND SU BINARIES

1. Make sure you have ADB set up and working (wired or wireless).

2. Download and unzip the needed files here.

3. Place unzipped files in /android-sdk/platform-tools

4. Run the following commands to put su in the proper place:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    exit
    exit
    adb push su /sdcard/su
    adb shell
    su
    cat /sdcard/su > /system/xbin/su
    ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su
    chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
    exit
    exit

5. Install SuperUser and BusyBox:

Code:
    adb install com.koushikdutta.superuser.apk
    adb install stericson.busybox.apk

6. Run SuperUser on the Ouya (from Make > Software) and confirm the update (not in recovery).

Again, this isn't my original content, only slightly edited (since I am OCD about writing).
    My only intention is to share this knowledge with other users like me, who don't know much about this sort of thing (yet).

If i stepped on any toes, or did something wrong, I apologize. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you to the following people for their work in contributing to this guide:
    WinDroidGuy
    elmerohueso
    The driver section doesn't seem to work on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I don't think the Google driver has been updated for Win8 yet.
    My Ouya was listed twice in Device manager and one of them was a driver problem. I manually selected my Samsung adb drivers from the list and it works fine. the easiest way yo get those is to install KIES. This was with 64 bit Windows 7.

TIP: The micro usb port is extra deep and my samsung cables don't work, fortunately I have a Kodak one that does.

It motivated to set up wireless adb.
    Not getting very far, first I downloaded the SDK, which will not run on my system, might be the AV/FW or something else, but it attempts to find java (which is in the path), and then it does nothing. So I try to go the ClockWorkMod way using the Universal driver (as I saw that should work), that is better as I at least have drivers and it finds my device, but it also will not install throwing a message: "hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog. The file is likely the corrupt or the victim of tampering." Well duh, I modified the inf to get it to find the hardware for the OYUA. I'd just use Google's if I could get a copy without installing the SDK since that is obviously not going to working on this system. Any suggestions, so far while adb works fine with the G3 on this system it appears impossible to setup for the OUYA.

Please note: in C:\Java\jdk1.7u21 is the JDK in c:\java\jre is the JRE. So they are both present and up to date. If I open a command prompt and type java -version it is located and works fine, so no understanding of what "SDK Manager.exe" is doing.

Also, yes I followed the thread as best I could, first copying java into c:\android makes no sense, but I tried it (did nothing), second the adb driver does not require any extraction, where is the usb driver, it must be in a zip somewhere in the SDK for it to be installable, so can I just manually extract it?

Thanks,
    ERIC

By G3 do you mean Galaxy S3? If so then hopefully you already have Kies installed. When I connected my OUYA and started all of this, it did not install properly. It showed up twice in device manager, it was installed as a portable device, but was also listed as "other device" and not installed. After a lot of searching,I saw that people had been able to get out working by manually selecting the Samsung adb drivers that are included with Kies. It worked for me. You need to manually select the drivers (have disk) and install OUYA as a MTP device.

Regarding the SDK I know nothing. It installed just fine on Windows 7 for me.

Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    What does putting that under the amd64 section do exactly?

I noticed that the driver information and identifiers were identical in both sections. It allows tree driver tweak to function properly on 64 bit Windows 7 installations

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
    I had a few issues trying to get Ouya to be seen by ADB. I was having a driver issue. I found a nice YouTube that help me a lot. And just goes over a few more details that the OP does cover, which are more to cover some potential problems

I found both the OP and what Ouya gave were on the same lines: Setting Up OUYA ODK