[Q] Ad-hoc wpa_supplicant hack: Obtaining IP address loop.

Search This thread

Pprplra1n

Jul 25, 2011
Seattle
Hi, I recently made an attempt to enable ad-hoc connectivity to my Acer Iconia Tab using this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1060909&highlight=ad+hoc

After following these instructions I was able to connect to my phone through barnacle and I was able to surf the web on my tablet. Both Wifi and Ad-hoc were working right after I replaced my wpa_supplicant file and everything was working perfectly but around 30 minutes later when taking my tablet out of sleep I attempted to connect to my Wifi connection but it gets to "obtaining IP address" for about 4 seconds then rapidly says "disconnecting" and then back to "obtaining IP address". It does this 7 times before disabling the connection and staying on "scanning".

I have tried replacing the wpa_supplicant file with my original but the only differences that i have noticed are that it does not detect my phones ad-hoc connection and that it does the Ip address and disconnecting loop for a total of 10 times before disabling my Wifi connection.

My tablet is rooted and running the official android version 3.1.
I am using ES File Explorer to move and replace the wpa_supplicant file and to change the permissions for the modified wpa_supplicant file.

So, i was wondering if anyone else has the same problem or a solution of any kind. I was also wondering if anyone would be willing to share their stock wpa_supplicant file for the Acer iconia for 3.1 honeycomb

Pprplra1n

Jul 25, 2011
Seattle
Download the wifi fix file on Acers support site.
I tried this but when running the patch the android robot appears with gears in it's center appears for a few seconds and then the gears get replaced my a warning sign and exclamation mark.

I have tried re-formatting my sd card and unrooting before running the patch but my initial problem persists along with the exclamation mark on each attempt to apply the patch. Decrypting the file results in corrupting the file and making it unable to extract it's contents.

Z_Black

May 13, 2011
www.zlbphotography.com
I'm having the same trouble Today. Finally got it to tether with barnacle. After doing that once I Now get the endless loop of "obtaining IP". I am at work so cannot check other wifi yet but will when I get home.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Z_Black

May 13, 2011
www.zlbphotography.com
Downloading the Wifi Fix directly from Acer seemed to do the trick for me. At least for connecting to my home wifi. I'll be testing tethering at work again today to see if it repeats the problem, but hopefully it does not.

tesab613

Jul 26, 2011
wpa supplicant for ad hoc use

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, but have been reading the posts for over a month. I bought my Acer Iconia A500 to be more convenient than lugging around my 17" laptop. After purchasing was when I realized that I couldn't tether it to my JB iPhone 3gs. Started searching and learned how to root the tablet. Mine came with HC3.1. Rooted the tablet, found an alternant wpa-supplicaant file, followed the instructions, and pleasantly surprised that I could then tether to my phone. THEN Acer sent an ota update (4.010.11_com_Gen) I accidentally installed the update before unrooting. Messed everything up, and had to do a factory reset. After the reset I rooted again. Everything working fine until I tried to find the wpa file again. Couldn't find the same one. Used a different one. Followed the same steps as before and suddenly my wifi went wacko. Wouldn't stay connected, kept looping. Very frustrating. Undid the wpa and could connect to regular wifi. Did more research and found the original ad hoc file. Used it and now have no problem connecting and disconnecting. MORAL TO THE STORY: use the wpa supplicant ad hoc file that has XOOM in the file name. I would have saved myself a weeks worth of frustration had I just kept looking.

Btw....I tried all the 'fixes posted and nothing helped the looping until I rooted and used the correct supplicant file.

Good luck!

Pprplra1n

Jul 25, 2011
Seattle
Could you share the file? I have one but it doesn't work so I reverted to stock.

The file attached to the first post here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1060909&highlight=ad+hoc worked perfectly after I did factory reset. But instead of following those instructions to the letter make sure you turn on airplane mode or disable wifi before messing with the original file (renaming it to wpa_supplicant.old) and setting the permissions of the modified wpa_supplicant file to User:RWE Group:RWE Other:RW only.

I also restarted my tablet before enabling wifi just in case and my tablet has been connecting to ad-hoc and wifi connections without any issues whatsoever even after multiple restarts.

Z_Black

May 13, 2011
www.zlbphotography.com
Order things went down for me were, upgrade to the OTA update from Acer... Then I rooted, used the ad-hoc wifi thinger, tethered once before getting endless loop. Then I downloaded the wifi fix directly from Acer, installed it via sd card as they say and I have not had any issues since. Tethered as I type this, 3rd time today as well.

I'm not sure if using the ad-hoc then acer update changed anything, but it works great now.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

side0ut

Oct 23, 2010
I am also getting the looping IP address (DHCP) after applying the wpa_supplicant as directed. I tried to reset the Acer A500 with a pin two times like it was listed on Acer.com. That did not fix it. I tried to delete the dhcpcd-wlan0.lease but could not find it anywhere. I don't have a /data/miscellaneous directory. Only found /data/misc/ and that did not have the lease file. I then tried the wifi patch from Acer and then updated to version 4.*^*.13 (latest update) but it is still looping. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible I got the wrong wpa_supplicant that has a problem? I am now able to see ad-hoc networks as well as my router but with the looping problem.

Thanks,

Rich

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
this also happened to me

This happens to me when I switch networks.I turn off wifi del the saved networks,reboot then turn wifi back on and resetup my wifi password.I do not know a better solution.some claim this is worse with some routers.

jojo87

Jan 23, 2015
Can't obtain ip address

Hi I'm having trouble with my sons acer iconia b1 when he first go it everything worked perfectly until I went onto it a few weeks back it isn't connecting to wifi and is saying that the IP address is unavailable. I have tried everything it has had factory reset I reset the router everything I could think of I done it. I know it's not te router as my other son has th same tablet and his works perfectly. The only thing I can think of is he has went into it and done something and I don't know how to get it back. I'm at the point where I'm close to throwing it at a wall as it's frustrating me so much

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another fix that may work is deleting the file dhcpcd-wlan0.lease located in /data/miscellaneous/dhcp