FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[4.4.x][OFFICIAL][NIGHTLIES][UNIFIED][jflte] Omni

3,479 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,460

By Gandalf, Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator on 28th May 2014, 05:36 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
16th January 2015, 12:00 PM |#141  
Flag Cebu
Thanks Meter: 40

More
A few days ago I went back to Omni from CM12, and can I say... IT'S A DAMN GOOD BREATH OF FRESH AIR!!! Ahhhhh, to have such a wonderfully stable ROM... it's like coming back from a really long outdoor/camping trip, and now you're finally back home with your comfortable bed, blanket, pillows, shower and heater. OOOOHHH YEAAHHHHH!
Thanks to the maintainer for keeping this going!
This is also, for me, far more stable than CM11. Everything works, except for HDR. But not a big deal, just put the picture in an editor, turn down the highlights and turn up the shadows and boom!
The only thing I have with this is it's a pain in the ass to add a phone number from your recent calls list. I don't understand why you can't directly add it. It just gives me the option to copy it. Everything else is great though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Geemaggio

Yes I'm currently using the latest jflte nightly build of OmniROM (13/01/15) on my Galaxy S4 i9505, and the only bug I've encountered is when setting the camera to the 'HDR' setting, the camera freezes and will not unfreeze until you reboot. Apart from that I have found OmniROM to be very stable and without lag. I would recommend it @pjkiener

I would be tempted to try out CM12 simply because I'm dying to try out Lollipop, but as well as the stable-ness of OmniROM I also admire the philosophy behind OmniROM. The whole 'Cyanogen Inc.' business turned me off CyanogenMod a bit and so I turned to good ol' Omni as a result

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjkiener For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pjkiener Ad-Free

17th January 2015, 10:42 AM |#142  
Flag Wilmington, DE
Thanks Meter: 21

Donate to Me
More
So is there currently no maintainer for this ROM on jflte? If not, how are we still seeing Nightlies? I imagine they build automatically from upstream? Are Nightlies impoving things?
17th January 2015, 02:04 PM |#143  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman82

So is there currently no maintainer for this ROM on jflte? If not, how are we still seeing Nightlies? I imagine they build automatically from upstream? Are Nightlies impoving things?

Hi @muzicman,

Post #178 from the thread link below may help to answer your question.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2933101

I don't know what the story with the Nightly Builds is but I think the old maintainer, Jake, is still working on jflte. That will have to be confirmed though.

Steve

17th January 2015, 04:38 PM |#144  
Thanks Meter: 121

More
I am running gpe lollipop from Danvd. It is very fluid and snappy. Reminds me of how smooth and fast omni is.
21st January 2015, 12:17 PM |#145  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Hello,

Can a changelog still be viewed for the Nightly Builds for this device?

I tried the link at the start of this thread and nothing is displayed. I'm also using the Omni changelog app, but nothing in relation to jflte is displayed there either.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

26th January 2015, 10:55 PM |#146  
OP Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Philadelphia

Donate to Me
More
sorry, i've been VERY busy.

UPDATES:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

Jake announced a while ago he was planning on dropping jflte due to lack of time.

He wound up unable to sell his jflte, so there's a chance that if he has time it'll get support, but in general, lack of time is proving to be a major issue for many of us. We're way behind as a result... Many of us have non-Android stuff going on, some of us are in the process of planning some Android-related stuff that is causing delays now but will hopefully have positive benefits in the long run. One thing being discussed is a few projects getting together to create a project dedicated to hardware support, strictly limited to only hardware stuff. Other projects could use that project as a base. (In some ways, we had visions of something like this with Omni, but as we didn't strictly limit scope to hardware, we sort of became "just another project" with the main benefit being we coordinated with other projects much better than in the past.)

yea, just to confirm, i WILL be working on galaxy s4.

I have put it on hold until I finish my note 10 kernel, but i just finished the last of the file merges, and now will begin the endless compilation error from merge derps healing process.

But to clarify to everyone: THERE WILL BE android-5.0 for galaxy s4 jflte QUALCOMM VARIANTS ONLY (sorry exynos)

Kernel merge complete for note 10(2014) , just need to fix it up and I'll start on jflte.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th February 2015, 11:55 AM |#147  
Flag Cebu
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Geemaggio

Yes I'm currently using the latest jflte nightly build of OmniROM (13/01/15) on my Galaxy S4 i9505, and the only bug I've encountered is when setting the camera to the 'HDR' setting, the camera freezes and will not unfreeze until you reboot. Apart from that I have found OmniROM to be very stable and without lag. I would recommend it @pjkiener

I would be tempted to try out CM12 simply because I'm dying to try out Lollipop, but as well as the stable-ness of OmniROM I also admire the philosophy behind OmniROM. The whole 'Cyanogen Inc.' business turned me off CyanogenMod a bit and so I turned to good ol' Omni as a result

Yeah, that HDR thing is the reason why I may not buy another Samsung phone. THey have too many proprietary bullshiznits, which takes away from maximizing when using a custom ROM. I also noticed that my YouTube won't play properly. The video turns gray the picture gets all fuzzy and whatnot.
I was using CM12 and wasn't too impressed. It felt like A LOT of features were missing and wasn't as stable as I had hoped. It's been a month or more since then though, so maybe they've made a lot of progress now. But I think I'll wait on OMNI, or the official uber-disgusting TouchWiz 5.0 so I can get all the functionality of the phone back. Yuck, I dread going back to TouchWiz. lol
23rd February 2015, 08:21 AM |#148  
OP Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Philadelphia

Donate to Me
More
The 4.4 nightlies are very much stable minus the HDR issue, which I am completely aware of. I was waiting to add the necessary commits for samsung hdr until camera2 was updated to be parallel to CAF kk_3.5, but with 5.0 dropping, that got pushed back.

I'm starting the bringup for 5.0 now for jflte.

Just a few things for everyone:
  • For the time being, I will be following CM as I've been away from the device for a few months. This means:
    • De-unified builds (going back to variant-specific builds, I'll look at unification again in the future)
  • I have a Sprint variant (jfltespr) with:
    • I do not have a Sprint SIM card, or service
    • I can't test calling/texting/etc. so that will have to be up to users from each variant
  • 5.0 nightlies will not start until the ROM is stable enough for at least a daily driver
  • I'm not going to post test builds until it's reasonably usable, since I know what will be broken and I don't need 10 million "bug reports"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th February 2015, 02:36 AM |#149  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Anyone else having trouble with their sim cards with the latest nightlies? I can't find any networks and it seems the sim card is not detected...
24th February 2015, 07:14 AM |#150  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew02

The 4.4 nightlies are very much stable minus the HDR issue, which I am completely aware of. I was waiting to add the necessary commits for samsung hdr until camera2 was updated to be parallel to CAF kk_3.5, but with 5.0 dropping, that got pushed back.

I'm starting the bringup for 5.0 now for jflte.

Just a few things for everyone:

• For the time being, I will be following CM as I've been away from the device for a few months. This means:
    • De-unified builds (going back to variant-specific builds, I'll look at unification again in the future)
  • I have a Sprint variant (jfltespr) with:
    • I do not have a Sprint SIM card, or service
    • I can't test calling/texting/etc. so that will have to be up to users from each variant
  • 5.0 nightlies will not start until the ROM is stable enough for at least a daily driver
  • I'm not going to post test builds until it's reasonably usable, since I know what will be broken and I don't need 10 million "bug reports"

Looking forward to seeing Omni 5.0.
24th February 2015, 10:41 AM |#151  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenCollective

Anyone else having trouble with their sim cards with the latest nightlies? I can't find any networks and it seems the sim card is not detected...

Hi,

same problem.
Gone back to 20150218.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Typhoe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Typhoe Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread