[FIX](Test) Mobile Shell 3.5.3 Facebook Widget Broken in WM 6.5.3

Search This thread

mtstmp

Jun 23, 2008
DO NOT TRY THIS ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN WINDOWS MOBILE VERSION 6.5.3 OR HIGHER! IT CONSISTS OF A .DLL FILE DEVELOPED AFTER WM 6.1! YOU WILL DISABLE FEATURES!

I love using Mobile Shell 3.5.3, and I love using Windows Mobile 6.5.3, but the facebook and twitter widgets would not connect for me. I kept getting the error cannot connect. It was driving me nuts and forcing me to switch to a regular 6.5 rom. I figured out that 28002 was the last 6.5.3 build that these widgets worked on, so I pulled some packages out and added them to the new builds and viola! it worked. I've narrowed it down to the webview.dll file. This works fine for me when I cook it in, and I've tested the cab a few times. The widgets can connect now, and Internet Explorer doesn't seem to be affected. I don't use it all that often so I can't really say for sure if it makes a huge difference.

The cab is hard-coded to go to the windows directory and cannot be uninstalled. So this is kind of a one-time deal.

This is only a test and will need some feedback from others before we can call this one a sure thing.

BACKUP YOUR PHONE BEFORE YOU TRY!

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT THIS MAY DO TO YOUR PHONE!

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Last edited:

bipinsen

Sep 16, 2007
i'm guess i'm the only one with this problem?

No you're not. People are all over SPB developers behind in the SPB forums. So far they have just said that they are looking into it.

I'll back up my phone now and try this. Is there a manual way of uninstalling and getting back to the old settings?

bipinsen

Sep 16, 2007
So no luck. I am using build 23037 and the Facebook screen still keeps getting the "Retry" button. Internet Explorer seems to work ok.

JOeS

Apr 5, 2005
It works! It opens my default browser and there's a message about a bug in the application, therefore I cannot log in. But when I try again to open Facebook in SPB Mobile Shell it logs in. :D

My ROM: Energy.KOVSKY.23519.Leo_04.Feb.2010

Thx a lot man!

formula84

Aug 17, 2007
Philadelphia - HTC One (m7)
It works! It opens my default browser and there's a message about a bug in the application, therefore I cannot log in. But when I try again to open Facebook in SPB Mobile Shell it logs in. :D

My ROM: Energy.KOVSKY.23519.Leo_04.Feb.2010

Thx a lot man!

I too have a 23519 build this seems to have worked for me although only for google and facebook widgets the twitter does not say fail to connect any longer but it just sits on a white screen anyone else?

clintonwes

Mar 31, 2009
Stanger
I'm have ing the very same issue using Flame build 23529.

Twitter widget sometimes say failed to connect with a retry button, sometimes it just displays and white screen and hangs the mobile, requiring me to pull out the battery. :(

I'm downloading the patch now! Will let you guys know how it goes.:D

WOOHOO!!!

It works!!

Thanks mtstmp!

Last edited:

royalgold323

Sep 28, 2009
WICKED!!! IT workedd!! you're a genius, i love the facebook feature of spb mobile shell too =D THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHHHHHH

jphni12

May 15, 2007
My facebook works fine but twitter has never worked. I get a range of errors error 403, error 406, white screen or a twitter message about the page being invalid.

I tried installing this fix but its still not working. I have tried all the cookies etc.

Im using an hd2 with a cooked rom (WM6.5.5)

any other ideas?

Thanks

Saitek009

Jan 16, 2010
Idaho
Works perfectly. Thank you!

Twitter's still borked though. After login and confirm it says sending you back to application and proceeds to lock up. :confused:

Keland44

Jun 9, 2006
Cali
thanks man this seems to be working for me I can at least get to internet explorer to log into facebook now i wasn't able to before. big thanks for that i can at least add pictures to my contacts now using facebook

95FormulaTA

Mar 11, 2008
Just gave it a shot and I also got the white screen. It also dissabled explorer for me. Used SK tools to uninstall and explorer up and working again. For now..... Thanks for working on this problem.

Stock 6.1 Rom on Vouge

Giannacl

Oct 22, 2009
it doesnt work for me...

I have a Palm treo pro and until last week both twitter and FB widgets worked fine. Now, no matter what, they won't connect. I tried using this cab but just got the white screen and stop IE for working properly, so I deleted and IE got back to normal. Thanks anyway...
Anything else we can try to make these widgets work?:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SOLVED]

For anyone who is still having issues with the Facebook connection saying "Connection Failed"

Here is a really simple fix. You dont need to update any files, or do any hacks or anything like that (I took the time to do it for you)

After flashing, installing, re-flashing and re-installing various ROMS on my HD2, I can say this will work with any ROM you install.

Here is the Noob guide to getting this to work

Step 1. Install SPB Mobile Shell (told you this was going to be a noob guide)

Step 2. Connect your phone with your computer and make sure you have activesync running.

Step 3. Open up notepad on your computer and copy the following into notepad.

m.facebook.com/login.php?api_key=0030ac0be8c7cf10aa78152c8fde4814&v=1.0&auth_token=06b94acd8e538f3100e4a2c1ab51fbea&m=m&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Flogin.php&refid=9&http

Step 4. Save the file onto your desktop and then move that file onto your SDCARD (anywhere will do)

Step 5. On your phone, open up the file with word, select the entire text and copy it.

Step 6. Paste the address into your web browser on your phone

Step 7. Log in when asked. The next screen should come up saying that the SPB Mobile shell is requesting permission.

Step 8. Accept the request.
    ***NOTE*** This will say that its failed and to try again. Ignore this and just close your browser.

Step 9. Go into the Mobile Shell and try to use the Facebook Widget as normal.
    This should now connect as normal.

*** What was going wrong ***
    From what I've noticed, the facebook API on Mobile Shell 3.5.2 and above somehow wouldn't send the appropriate website through to your browser.
    By going to the above website manually and accepting the permissions, you add the SPB Mobile Shell to your applications list in facebook.
    (you can check this by going into your facebook on a PC. Click on Account > Privacy Settings > Apps & Websites)
    SPB Mobile Shell should be on the list.