[MOD] Enable Native Tethering without limits

Search This thread

sdwyz74

Jun 23, 2009
Seattle
PLEASE HELP (my Tetther is Super Slow ans Only Works On One Rom )

My WiFi Tether is Super Super Slow and I'm Not sure why as it used to Work Fast as F&#&)#&#-- Not to Mention it only Seem to Work on NV Rom and ACIP or any Other CM Based Roms ??? Either way this thing used to Fly I Open a page the pics are there the music or videos are Playing and Now it Sucks its been that Way for a couple Month and I Cant stand it anymore.

Someone Please Advise!

My Set Up: T-Mobile m8 Rooted S-off and I have Totally Unlimited Data Minutes Text. Also I am using a User Agent Swither on my ( Windows 7 laptop and Home Pc ) also My Xbox 360 which seems to trip the T-Mobile Tethering when I came I get the T-Mobile ( my plan Doesnt have this Feature Page and to call T-Mobile Customer support to upgrade my Plan )

Please Advise Thanks to all

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The following Mod will unlock all APNs for editing, and allow you to tether using the Stock Built-in tethering:

For this to work, you must be rooted, and have busybox installed.

This is confirmed working on T-Mo software version 1.12.531.19 It may work for others, but they should probably have their own Settings.apk mod done to avoid issues.

People were having problems installing this via ADB, so I have made a flashable zip to simplify the process:

Step 2:
    Once your phone has rebooted, go into Settings -> Mobile Data -> Access point names.
    Select the one for "T-Mobile Data" Which should now be editable.
    Scroll down, and change the APN protocol from IPv6 to IPv4.
    Select Menu and hit "Save"

OLD Instructions:

Step 1:
    Download the following modded Settings.apk to the root of /sdcard/: http://www.cheatersedge.org/android/m8/Settings.apk

Step 2 (Via ADB):
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    sed -i s/pcweb.tmobile.com/fast.t-mobile.com/g /system/customize/ACC/default.xml
    cp /sdcard/Settings.apk /system/app/Settings.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/Settings.apk
    mv /system/app/Settings.odex /system/app/Settings.odex.bak
    reboot

Step 3:
    Once your phone has rebooted, go into Settings -> Mobile Data -> Access point names.
    Select the one for "T-Mobile Data" Which should now be editable.
    Scroll down, and change the APN protocol from IPv6 to IPv4.
    Select Menu and hit "Save"

Step 4:
    Enjoy fully working tethering over the normal APN.

Step 5:
    Someone else should make a flashable zip *Hint* step 3 can be done with sqlite3 in the command line but... I am feeling lazy :D.
    How would you go about getting this to work on a deodexed ROM? I just attempted the walkthrough with ARHD 3.4 and it didn't work, my APN settings are still locked

ARHD probably has a different Settings.apk. The APN unlocking magic is in my modded Settings.apk. I have patched it to simply ignore the "readonly" value in telephony.db.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Hey Guys, for future reference, I have not noticed anyone ask yet, as I was searching around for this answer myself, but to enable unlimited tethering on a GPE 5.0 ROM, it's a combination of a few steps:

1. Use an SQLite editor to open the following database on your device "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db", select the "global" table, and then create the key "tether_dun_required" with the value of "0" (I have not tested this, but even without root, this is possible by issuing the command "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" over ADB.)
    2. Change your APN settings to IPv4 instead of the usually default IPv6 or IPv4/IPv6.
    3. Add the string "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" to your build.prop file. (I have not tested this, but the tool here seems to do this automatically for you: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/themes-apps/app-hotspot-entitlement-bypass-v1-1-5-9-t2705152)
    4. Reboot

Source: http://pocketnow.com/2015/01/01/nexus-6-tethering
    Deleted settings.odex and it unlocked the apns. Haven't tried websites but I did notice after doing this I switched to ART and it broke the settings. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Put that odex file back after you have changed the apns. It will relock them, but you can reenable ART.

That is good info. All of this still feels way above my understanding of this. I've never decompiled or rebuilt after decompiling. I'll have to keep researching more info. Thanks for the tips!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda premium

Oh probably worth mentioning you can just reset APNs rather than hard resetting.