[MOD][XPOSED] overflow:hidden;

Search This thread

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
I'm an INFJ according to the Myers-Briggs classification system. I've received a lot of comments from friends and other people that I shouldn't pinhole myself into a category of information that I found out myself (through research). I understand where they are coming from and I'm a skeptical person myself, but I've learned that the classification system is actually well-respected and researched among professionals.

The information about people with INFJ is ridiculously accurate as it applies to myself, and I've discussed it with a therapist as well as a psychiatrist.

More info:
http://personalityjunkie.com/the-infj/

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

PunchUp

Sep 18, 2013
Yes they're quite accurate and well researched. But your friends are quite right as well. Don't over analyse it. Hopefully you manage to sort this situation. The best person who can help you is yourself

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
Looks like Google started forcing the overflow button in Chrome again. Only this time a custom function is likely being used for whatever reason. Why, Google. Why?

I think it's bugging me enough to warrant an update. I also want to target the additional buttons that were added with Play Services a few updates back.

w0rinal

May 9, 2014
Bamberg
Don't know if this has already been mentioned but apps which use material design (for example XPrivacy) show the overflow button as well

Many xposed modules seem to not be maintained anymore although there are calls for improving bugs and feature requests by user,
But your module works great for most apps I use so don't worry about it being updated rarely :)

Sent from my Boeffla powered Slim GT-I9300

Reactions: JJohnson1988

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
I'll look into it. Hopefully it's a new global function that many of the material apps are calling.

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
I'm having issues getting a LP ROM to boot with a recent kernel on my device, so I'm going to continue targeting KitKat and assume the code I write also works for LP.

Anyone on LP with the Xposed alpha willing to do some testing for me? ;)

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
Alright.

Just an FYI, this update is only going to focus on the removal of additional buttons.

Plans for a UI to toggle removal in specific apps, as well as everything else like Gingerbread support (if it is indeed possible) are still floating around in my head.

Reactions: PunchUp

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
I agree. I just prefer to do incremental and stable updates for releases, rather than drastic and potentially unstable updates. The former gives people time to try out new things with the least risk on both sides.

This, coupled with a strong initial release, are what I feel to be best practices. Just wish more game developers didn't need to release multiple patches straight after launching the damn game, but now I'm getting carried away. I need sleep.

Reactions: w0rinal

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
It might, but it isn't (yet) targeted at Lollipop and I haven't updated the module in a while.

I've been working on it sparingly, and the methods I've attempted to override to prevent the button from being drawn in a few key locations hasn't worked yet (for unknown reasons).

Hopefully I have time to troubleshoot it later today.

And FYI guys, I finally got Lollipop on my One, so now I'll probably need someone to make sure the upcoming module works in pre-5.0 instead (as I need to override methods in the compatibility API).

Reactions: w0rinal and PunchUp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    overflow:hidden;
    AKA Remove Action Overflow Button

"Because naming your module after a CSS rule is fashionable and socially acceptable!"

A simple module that completely removes the action overflow button from various apps. Useful for people that have a hardware menu button on their device and don't want to see the superfluous button on action bars.

This is similar to another module: "Noverflow" by el1t. However, my implementation should be more thorough in removing the overflow button from sometimes-stingy apps, such as Google Chrome.

Only tested on 4.4 CM-based ROMs, but it should work on previous versions of Android (anything 4.0 ICS or newer should be okay), as well as ROMs that aren't CM-based. If not, let me know and I'll try to resolve the problem.

Thank you to GravityBox for originally implementing the important lines of code!

Instructions:

Download, install, enable and reboot. No configuration interface included, nor is one necessary.

Changelog:

Code:
    v1.0:
    Initial release

v1.1:
    - Removed overflow button in AOSP calculator app (thanks, Micks29!)
    - Added try/catch blocks for safety
    - Bumped up minSdkVersion to 14 (will change if I can make older Android versions compatible)
    - Minor addition to app description string

v1.2:
    - New name and icon!
    - Only attempt to hook methods if user's version of Android has original methods properly implemented

v1.3:
    - Removed overflow button in AOSP browser app (thanks, a4apple!)
    - General project clean-up (APK file size has been significantly reduced and leftovers from previous project name have been purged)
    - Compile project based on Java 1.7 to make use of some handy new development techniques
    - Added TODO notes within project's source to inform anyone interested in my pending tasks

v1.4:
    - Ensure the overflow button in AOSP browser app is correctly being removed
    - Change a few fields to help prevent the overflow button from being shown in some apps, in some cases
    - Use the latest Xposed API (d'oh!)

v1.41:
    - Found and removed yet another instance of the overflow button in the AOSP browser app

Download:

http://repo.xposed.info/module/me.jjohnson1988.android.xposed.removeactionoverflowbutton

Source:

https://github.com/JJohnson1988/overflow-hidden
    An update is being worked on.

Now is a good time seeing as rovo89 was able to get Xposed running on ART.

Just so you guys know, I am indeed still alive and kicking. Still dealing with depression and other health problems, and my work projects come first (I'm a web developer, hence the name of the module).

I'm also researching GUIs for Android apps as I'm still relatively new to app development. But don't worry because I have all your suggestions and improvements written down and have even found some new overflow buttons with recent Google updates.

I'm also replacing my Galaxy S3 with a OnePlus One in two or three weeks, so there should be good times ahead.

Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)
    i747UCUFNE4 baseband/bootloader
    Thanks for asking.

I still have chronic arthritis (or maybe neurological?) pain due to a condition that I was born with, and the family situation is still pretty hectic. But otherwise I'm managing. Kinda.

Loving my OPO, at least.

It might, but it isn't (yet) targeted at Lollipop and I haven't updated the module in a while.

I've been working on it sparingly, and the methods I've attempted to override to prevent the button from being drawn in a few key locations hasn't worked yet (for unknown reasons).

Hopefully I have time to troubleshoot it later today.

And FYI guys, I finally got Lollipop on my One, so now I'll probably need someone to make sure the upcoming module works in pre-5.0 instead (as I need to override methods in the compatibility API).