By l2tp, Senior Member on 15th March 2010, 11:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th March 2010, 02:03 PM |#71  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdmcdmc

As I looked at the dump files, it seems that a lot of MS applications there are still coded in C++ and not in Silverlight or other crap.

Of course they use native code for their apps! All the APIs are certainly there, it's just a matter of getting access to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landslide

Did you notice all the office apps in SYS? The emulator looks fully loaded... Just crippled somewhere.

I've never seen any office apps working in any of the presentations. I guess it's just the part that's not ready, they pushed the emulator out so that people can try what development is like for the platform.
16th March 2010, 02:04 PM |#72  
Flag Rossano Calabro
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
In download...

I'm not a developer.. but this is my passion, and even if I did not solve anything, I'm sure will amuse me very!!!

i have realized that this release is only for x86 CPU (like my PC), and for now I am going to enjoy this.
16th March 2010, 02:06 PM |#73  
Flag Moscow

More
Unfortunately, there's not much to enjoy in this emulator - there are no apps, no way to browse the filesystem or peek into the registry... Not with the tools I know of and can use.
16th March 2010, 02:16 PM |#74  
Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter: 88,304

Donate to Me
More
You can peek in the registry by finding default.hv and user.hv in sys\metadata folder.

It looks pretty much the same as WM6.5 registry, but with some changes from CE5 -> CE6.
16th March 2010, 02:25 PM |#75  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Did you notice all the office apps in SYS? The emulator looks fully loaded... Just crippled somewhere.

Update: The dll's seem to be ARM too, and the subsystem is definitely CE7.0.

Update2: It looks like buried underneath WP7, is much of WindowsMobile - categorized into packages. Very interesting. Also most of the built-in apps they've been showing off (even simple stuff like settings) are runtimetype='Native'... WTF?!

Update3: Lots of references to UIX in there... Interestingly - http://www.istartedsomething.com/200...ramework-zune/ - This is not Silverlight - ROFL...
16th March 2010, 02:25 PM |#76  
Flag Moscow

More
Yeah, but I meant playing with registry on a running emulator, like you can do with WM SDK and tools. To see the .hv files there's no emulator needed.

Good to see you here Chainfire though! Working on that jailbreak already?
16th March 2010, 02:32 PM |#77  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi, New here. I am considering the HTC HD2 for my new phone. I find this thread to be very interesting and I hope to gain some helpful insight into this phone. I will most likely, just be a follower for now. Thanks.
16th March 2010, 02:39 PM |#78  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by landslide

Update: The dll's seem to be ARM too, and the subsystem is definitely CE7.0.

Update2: It looks like buried underneath WP7, is much of WindowsMobile - categorized into packages. Very interesting. Also most of the built-in apps they've been showing off (even simple stuff like settings) are runtimetype='Native'... WTF?!

Update3: Lots of references to UIX in there... Interestingly - http://www.istartedsomething.com/200...ramework-zune/ - This is not Silverlight - ROFL...

oh my oh my... Silverlight = marketing, UIX = reality... *very confused* - is it possible this is a little smoke and mirrors? There is a whole lotta Zune in there...
16th March 2010, 02:51 PM |#79  

More
awesome ,,, i like it .
16th March 2010, 02:53 PM |#80  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Very interesting. Nice to see a first glimpse of the OS I guess.

Lots of people saying about hardware restrictions, But the guys here know how to overcome such things. at the end of the day it'll be down to Driver support for devices rather than CPU speed, after all this thing isn;t doing anything different to 3rd party Apps like Pointui and Touchxperience, in fact it's probably doing less, so I don;t believe the hardware will be a problem.

I was reading on the Register that MS only started seriously developing WinPhos a year ago! that means it's probably very similar underneath to 6.5, by that I mean the general structure of the OS not the OS itself.

I can see MS coming down hard on XDA for trying to crack the OS when we finally get a ROM dump, as they seem to be really restricting this time around. They will probably give the guys here a years worth of unhindered OS cracking (jailbreaking) just so they can get some free debugging, then they'll stamp their foot down hard.

Waiting for a WInPhoS ROM for my Touch HD (LOL!)

Logicalstep
16th March 2010, 02:53 PM |#81  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Hmm, if this teaches something is that the whole "starting from scratch" marketing thing is just BS as well... which is a good thing

If it was a "real" completely new platform, the image format, fileystem etc would be different, and none of the current WM tools would be of any use on WP7 stuff... so if you guys could already unpack everything and find known stuff it still means it will be only a "variation" to which some adaptations will be needed, but no need to start over with a blank page and having to reverse angineer everything, write the tools, etc...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
emulator

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)