windows 95 on HD2 (for real)

Search This thread

kilrah

Sep 16, 2005
Whahahaha..... :D
I had the blue screen on it.... Pitty I did not have a camera within my reach....

I just got more "lucky" :p

PICT5932.jpg

Last edited:

kilrah

Sep 16, 2005
And one next step... I just found that image in my archives:

PICT5933.jpg

PICT5934.jpg

OK, this one is pretty much unuseable, but it works :D (it's 2-step emulation! PPC emulated on x86 by Fusion, which is emulated on ARM by QEMU....)

XTREEM|RAGE

Apr 12, 2008
Have you guys tried Windows 95 on HD2? It is a Bochs emulation, I can get it full screen (only VGA though) but can't get the mouse work. Although it is freeware, I saw it on a warez site and I don't know if it is legal or so, hence I'm not posting any links. Just google it if you're interested.

[sarcasm]winmo == win95, you didn't know :eek:[/sarcasm]
Nice tho :)

gb_r32

Apr 30, 2006
Got XP Pro Loaded but Slooowwww!!!

Built a 1.5GB image of XP pro on my desktop with Bochs 2.4.2 with ACPI turned off. No attempt at lightening the load. Just a straight up clean install from my XP CD ISO. Transfered to my memory card and running on the WinCE build of Bochs 2.3.5. Not much luck with QEMU. Might try and build a lighter XP image.

It boots in about 5 minutes. It's pretty slow going. My DiNovo Mini bluetooth keyboard works pretty well with the HD2 minus the trackpad (waiting for Blueinput Broadcom HID version).

Attachments

• _IGP9657small.jpg
    _IGP9657small.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 821
  • _IGP9661small.jpg
    _IGP9661small.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 940
  • _IGP9665small.jpg
    _IGP9665small.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 978

bartju94

Mar 2, 2009
Haarlem
Built a 1.5GB image of XP pro on my desktop with Bochs 2.4.2 with ACPI turned off. No attempt at lightening the load. Just a straight up clean install from my XP CD ISO. Transfered to my memory card and running on the WinCE build of Bochs 2.3.5. Not much luck with QEMU. Might try and build a lighter XP image.

It boots in about 5 minutes. It's pretty slow going. My DiNovo Mini bluetooth keyboard works pretty well with the HD2 minus the trackpad (waiting for Blueinput Broadcom HID version).

Whoa that's really nice work mate :D!
You can try to turn most of the services off. You could also try to turn all visuals off. Then it may work faster ;)

2pavel

Apr 10, 2008
Constanta

Would you like to explain me how did you make the image, step by step? Thanks

Ben86

Mar 2, 2008
Paderborn
Hey, can anyone tell me where to get more images? I have the original CDRoms of all Windows OS here (some from old PC, some of msdn). I just dont get it to a working image. Or a clear how to create an image on Windows would be great.

Virtualburn

Mar 13, 2010
Instructions are in one of my previous posts.

I played with this software a bit more today. Looks like QEMU is quite picky when it comes to disk image formats, bootloaders etc. After many tries, using different DOS versions, drivers and so on finally I was able to create perfect combination.

It is fixed 512MB image with DOS 7.1 - this should give plenty of space for any dos-based programs. I tweaked DOS RAM configuration, so there is ample of conventional memory + XMS + EMS memory available, it should be able to handle everything you throw at it :D It also has mouse support.

I placed on it some useful applicators as well:

- Volkov Commander - excellent clone of Norton Commander, makes navigation with 'mouse' much easier!
- Bytemark Nbench - simple but very useful benchmark, according to it QEMU on HD2 achieves almost 100% speed of Pentium 90Mhz in fixed-point and about 30% in floating point operations.
- A few old classic games. Legend of Kyrandia is fully and easily playable with current controls. Others like Settlers 2, Albion (best RPG ever!) or C&C would be perfectly fine if not clumsy mouse control.. Sadly, Betrayal at Krondor doesn't go past the loading screen :(

Obviously you can quickly add new applications to this image using Winimage (that is the whole point anyway).

Just extract files in archive to 'emul' directory in QEMU folder.

DOS image (+ tools) for QEMU

THis is fantastic, Really great work. I was trying to add 'Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle etc.. but it seems I am limited to about 540MB of space in the image, I can't seem to find a way to increase this?

i900frenchaddict

Mar 26, 2009
Dijon
www.fpsece.net
I had the blue screen too when trying to run Win98, it boots, starts, shows me a few usual boot screen things and blue screen is here when the desktop shows. I suppose it's my win98 image that is responsible, I'm not used at all to create such images, got my old Win98 CDrom and made the image myself, but really fun to see this blue screen lool

i900frenchaddict

Mar 26, 2009
Dijon
www.fpsece.net
How did some of you reach to boot Win98?

Whatever the .img I create, I get the blue screen with the same error message as the one you can see above.
I've tried some 5 images and can't pass this error. Windows boots, loads, and crashes just before I can see the desktop.
I also tried 2 images I downloaded (I know it's not good, but since I own a genuine Windows 98, who cares lol) but they did not work better than the ones I had created myself from the CD....

I know it's useless to run Win98, it just for fun! If someone can help me to have a working image, that would be really nice.

Virtualburn

Mar 13, 2010

Attachments

• Screen012.jpg
    Screen012.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 296
  • Screen015.jpg
    Screen015.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Screen017.jpg
    Screen017.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Screen018.jpg
    Screen018.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 246

kilrah

Sep 16, 2005
It seems the newer Qemu version (mamaich tweaked one) craps with Win98. I got the bluescreen too, but the same image booted fine with the qemu build from the russian forum (check the beginning of the thread for links and my W98 screenshot).

i900frenchaddict

Mar 26, 2009
Dijon
www.fpsece.net
Thanks kilrah for the information ;)

The russian forum is currently down (just right now....pretty sure it was up few days ago, I should have downloaded it immediatly)
I'll try again tomorrow and hope to get through this .....(let(s stay polite)...boring blue screen (it reminds me my PC a few years ago....rahhhhhhrrgghh!!!! lol)

EDIT: the russian forum is still down...did someone download the Qemu build of this forum and can upload it? I really would see win98 too ;)
EDIT bis: their forum is up again!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Windows 98 running fine on wimo qemu

great news!!!

to get windows 98 full running on qemu Wimo:

THE BIG SECRET AND MATTER OF CAUSE: MSTASK.EXE

~~~~~~~~~ just disable "mstask.exe" ~~~~~~~~~

Step by step: install a windows 98 c partition image on qemu on your windows desktop on comparing or emty qemu hardware setting. Copy on HD2 and try to boot. No Problem in save mode but in normal mode it freeses or crashes if desktop comes up. After 1000 trys to boot with difftrent settings in qemu and windows 98 guest there was a lukky error at desktop start: "could not load mstask.exe". But win98 startet complete and stable in normal mode. To get this error i had to try very bad and slow memory settings. But I just shot image down, renamed "mstask.exe" in Windows/System32 Folder and now it is runnin fast and stable on HD2 with every setting up to 240 MB Ram ;-)
    So now I disabled mstask.exe in msconfig/autostart and restore mstask.exe, if it will come up again with errors I will delete it for ever! It is just the "Windows's Task Scheduler service" and causes problems on many Win98 real hardware machines... So now I will try to get Photoshop 7 and 3DStudioMax running and report soon... And I will try 3DMark 99 and 03 :D

Good luck all!! Hope you will find your old 98 CD and report. Or May be try same with win98SE or winME.

Will make a movie soon.

Someone find a way to get the toolbar bigger than the GEN-TOOLBAR size?

Someone knows how to edit settings in qemu android?

Lol this was my rabbit jumping on keyboard:

+#5erft89343434343434343434343434343434343434343434343434343434
    I had trouble again with mouse behaviour on qemu folder I tried to include. Another few hours without sleep but it is finished and I try to upload on mega. I already tried to upload on the xda-developers.ch account but it allows only 60 mb and I have about 202 mb. I hope mega upload will work.

It is a complete Windows 98 setup(only web tv is not installed) with some important updates, drivers installed for qemu devices, some settings optimized for touch input, a virtual keyboard, a virtual mouse helper, some bling settings, some little programs to play with and "Radix" demo to show some fast 3D-Frames on a very old game(trigger escape to exit).
    Try screensavers and solitaire ;-)

Directx is not installed because early versions are not downwards compatible and could not be removed easy so you could install the directx version you will need. I would suggest directx 9.0c.

You could use additional hdd, cdrom or floppy images to install software. You could also boot this on qemu desktop to get online if you need updates or something like that.

It includes a qemu version optimized for this image, very fast with a nice UI and usefull toolbars, I hope it is easy to install and will work for all.

Just follow the steps 1-5 in the folders.

Memory is set to 192 mb, if it does not start try to reboot phone first or set mb to 128. For me it works nice with up to 220 mb and I copy my sd card full only about 50 mb free so qemu could not create big swap file and is running faster in ram. Sometimes it does not start with "could not allocate memory" message but after rebooting HD2 it works nice again.

Some software is not running on this because a qemu bug. I noticed this on calmira xp and 3D Studio Max 3.1. If you have trouble running software that should run on Win98 use the image with trukkys qemu version. It runs everything I tested. But it is slower and without menu and issues on toolbar keycodes so only use it if you hve problems.

I will send links as soon image is up, hope it will be up soon before I fall into sleep.
    Information for a possible new QEMU Emulation Thread.

nice will test it! Dam I was still hoping for 800x480. Still locking for standard vga driver for 98 and cirrus driver for xp. If you enable hardware accelleration on cirrus on Win98 everything on desktop is shon somhere else so it is impossible to use it. May be standard vga just dont do this because on standard driver is no hardware acceleration at all.

You are right we should create a new clean howto thread with overview in entry post. Let me know if I could help. May be we could better create a Wiki page?

Definetly have the confirmed stuff trickle down into a Wiki page but in order to collect the best drivers, settings, possibilities, a very organized thread will be needed. I figured I will try to get it the way I made the MaxSense Custom Design Thread. Below is a example of what I mean. In my Sig you can find the link to the CDC Thread. Basically have 8 to 10 posts reserved.

First Post: Thread Infos / Overview / Search for Programmers / Limitations
    Second Post: QEMU for ARM Information / QEMU_Manager / Available Keyboards
    3rd - 9th Post: 1 Post per OS collecting all the information (Drivers,Optimal QEMU Settings, Configuration Scripts, Videos, Screenshots,etc)
    10th Post and up: Discussions, findings, etc. (Confirmed Information will get summarized and posted in the appropriate reserved OS Post with links to the Post if needed)

I will start publishing what I got so far tomorrow Morning. I will start with Win95 since that runs solid and then do one after another hopefully with everyones help.

Open Questions:

What would be the best location for the new Thread. Also under HTC Leo: HD2
    breadcrumbs-arrow.png
    HD2 Q&A ? Does it only apply to the HD2 or is it just easier to collect the information here and everyone else can use it too but if their devices are too slow it would maybe not clog up the Thread with its too slow for my device answears.

What about Linux Builds? Seperate Thread?

I appologize for the large Post but would love to hear your Input on how to organize it better. Anyone that needs a link to a Build or other information you can also PM me so that aSID1712 does not have to answear everything by himself. We also would need atleast 1 Mod that would check to make sure that I and others dont post anything that is harmfull or inappropriate to the Forum.

Note: None functional mok-up. See CDC Thread for functional example of the same principal.

Overview_QEMU_Thread.png
    Hi friends, I am ok but I am at work all day long. Try this for sound device in cmdline.txt. Type this
    -soundhw
    sb16

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App
    sorry I was setting up so much. This is Win98SE realy "complete" now also including flash9, divx, quicktime, .net framework 2, better sound, all updates i found and all online updates from microsoft, Open Office, virtual joystick required for some games, new qemu toolbar and much more...

I am realy packing now and locking for space to upload. This is bigger than last one.
    This also includes Win98SE NAND, bootable from Win98SE in Host as 2. level emulation. Extract c98nand.img from d98crazy and copy to internal storage.

So sorry for waiting but I dont want to do this again.

If it is up I will send some links, please resend or repost here or where you want and reupload. But it ill take some hours to upload, you will have it before christmas.

@ Tokl: I know there arre diffrent versions and latest has bugs on arm.
    XP runs on Trukkys qemu version and this is also included in my upload to boot alternate required for some software on Win98SE image. This is only for 3 Programs and everything else will run better on default included qemu version from start menu. I will test your bios and settings.

But please follow complete the steps for my images for first boot and dont just copy into your qemu folder because there are diffrent versions ith diffrent plugins and the mouse and menu and keyboard ill only work fine if you follow the steps.

Upload will have 1,17 gb and I don´t want to remove anything more noe just to get a few mb. So I will have to split and upload will take some hours.