FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Game streaming to other Android devices or PCs with Moonlight and GeForce Experience

468 posts
Thanks Meter: 406

By cgutman, Senior Member on 31st October 2013, 02:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd March 2015, 10:40 PM |#2281  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeich

Regarding the figures of HW decoding lag of the Kobo it is completely aligned with my experience with TEGRA 4. My ZTE funbox is also 17ms.

17 ms is just over 1 frame. It's completely typical even for the best devices. Because of VSync and triple buffering from Project Butter, that extra frame of latency is there regardless of how fast the decoder is. I'm trying to figure a way around it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cgutman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cgutman Ad-Free

23rd March 2015, 11:32 PM |#2282  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
sys/module/DC/parameters/no_vsync

Change from 0 to 1.

This disables VSync

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutman

17 ms is just over 1 frame. It's completely typical even for the best devices. Because of VSync and triple buffering from Project Butter, that extra frame of latency is there regardless of how fast the decoder is. I'm trying to figure a way around it.

Cameron, can you add 2k and 4k resolutions to the app ?

i added 2k myself, since my phone is an Note 4, but everytime you update i have to change it on Android studio

24th March 2015, 09:55 AM |#2283  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenBlade

sys/module/DC/parameters/no_vsync

Change from 0 to 1.

This disables VSync

Cameron, can you add 2k and 4k resolutions to the app ?

i added 2k myself, since my phone is an Note 4, but everytime you update i have to change it on Android studio

That would be incredible! 4k! But has the encoder from GFE the ability to encode at such a high rate?
Does the V-SYNC help on the lag issue?

Thanks
24th March 2015, 01:20 PM |#2284  

More
Quote:

That would be incredible! 4k! But has the encoder from GFE the ability to encode at such a high rate?
Does the V-SYNC help on the lag issue?

Thanks

I don't see why not.

Apparently, this project butter function delays the screen composition to avoid screen tearing but at cost of higher latency
24th March 2015, 03:48 PM |#2285  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I mean, we have control over the client app (limelight) but we don´t have complete control of server part (GFE) even although we can send some parameters: fps and resolution. That is why I think 1440p and 4k depends on GFE server only...
24th March 2015, 04:28 PM |#2286  

More
Quote:

I mean, we have control over the client app (limelight) but we don´t have complete control of server part (GFE) even although we can send some parameters: fps and resolution. That is why I think 1440p and 4k depends on GFE server only...

But there is no such settings on GFE. The client is who decide the resolution/fps.
24th March 2015, 04:43 PM |#2287  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenBlade

But there is no such settings on GFE. The client is who decide the resolution/fps.

Check out my wip_resolution_preferences branch. The reason I never merged it is because last time I tried it, GFE seemed to never set a resolution larger than the resolution of the physical screen. You'd get a 1440p stream, but it would just be scaled up 1080p if you've got a 1080p panel. It's very confusing behavior and I could never verify that GFE did things correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to cgutman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cgutman Ad-Free
24th March 2015, 04:48 PM |#2288  

More
Quote:

Check out my wip_resolution_preferences branch. The reason I never merged it is because last time I tried it, GFE seemed to never set a resolution larger than the resolution of the physical screen. You'd get a 1440p stream, but it would just be scaled up 1080p if you've got a 1080p panel. It's very confusing behavior and I could never verify that GFE did things correctly.

What you mean by physical screen, the server or client screen ?
Cause i have a note 4, his native resolution is 2560x1440.
if you mean the pc monitor screen, we can easily hack through regedit.
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenBlade For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OpenBlade Ad-Free
25th March 2015, 07:30 AM |#2289  
OP Senior Member

More
Good News about Qualcomm Decoder Latency
I found by luck that the SDP attributes on the new GFE beta 2.4.0.9 allow the client to adjust video slicing parameters. I've released a new build that enables slicing on GFE 2.4 to reduce latency of Qualcomm devices (hopefully back to 2.1.3 levels). It will also improve the latency on the Fire TV as it's also a Qualcomm device.

The build is rolling out on Play Store, waiting for review on Amazon store, and up on GitHub now.

Remember, you MUST have GFE beta updates turned on and be running GFE 2.4.0.9 or higher with Limelight v3.1.4.

You can enable beta updates for GFE on the Preferences tab in the General pane.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cgutman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cgutman Ad-Free
25th March 2015, 11:58 PM |#2290  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:

I found by luck that the SDP attributes on the new GFE beta 2.4.0.9 allow the client to adjust video slicing parameters. I've released a new build that enables slicing on GFE 2.4 to reduce latency of Qualcomm devices (hopefully back to 2.1.3 levels). It will also improve the latency on the Fire TV as it's also a Qualcomm device.

The build is rolling out on Play Store, waiting for review on Amazon store, and up on GitHub now.

Remember, you MUST have GFE beta updates turned on and be running GFE 2.4.0.9 or higher with Limelight v3.1.4.

You can enable beta updates for GFE on the Preferences tab in the General pane.

Streaming over LTE with my nexus 6 on Verizon:

1080p/60fps
17ms hardware decoding latency. If I go to 720p/60fps or 1080p/30fps its even smoother
26th March 2015, 02:08 PM |#2291  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have connection problems. I use Java client for Mac OS X, it successfully pairs with my Geforce PC. But when I press Start Stream, I get a message "Geforce Experience 2.1.1 is required", though I have the newest version of Geforce Experience installed, 2.2.2.0. Please help
UPDATE: problem solved, just forgot to turn off Windows firewall at my host PC.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, game streaming, gamestream, geforce experience, shield

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)