Why the HTC Evo 4G is so much better than Desire?

Search This thread

AaronJoYee

Jul 23, 2009
Dear friends,

I am upset! HTC claimed that the HTC Desire is their "superphone"/flagship phone but suddenly there is a much better phone released EVEN BEFORE the Desire was officially launched! Could someone educate me on how it this possible?

Why better?
1. Larger display
2. Better camera when it comes to the megapixels
3. HD 720p video recording
4. HDMI out!
5. Looks 100x better than the Desire

I have a question. Could this 4G phone be used in other countries as well or just the US? This is not the same as a GSM phone?

smjfosho

Jun 10, 2009
Dear friends,

I am upset! HTC claimed that the HTC Desire is their "superphone"/flagship phone but suddenly there is a much better phone released EVEN BEFORE the Desire was officially launched! Could someone educate me on how it this possible?

Why better?
1. Larger display
4. HDMI out!

I have a question. Could this 4G phone be used in other countries as well or just the US? This is not the same as a GSM phone?

i disagree with point #5
i think the evo looks ok minus the circle buttons, the desire is freakin sexy

irkan

Nov 26, 2009
its NOT ...

Dear friends,

Why better?
1. Larger display
4. HDMI out!

0. Who cares about 4G, more importantly, WHO HAVE 4G right now?
1. Display is TFT (NOT better than AMOLED!). more than 4.0 inches, too large, you might as well carry a laptop instead of this.
2. Who cares about cameras in phones? get SE Satio 12 MP with xenon flash if you care about Cameras in phones
3. camera again? who cares? and the HD recording is rumoured for the Desire too.
4. ok, maybe thats a point for Evo
5. I disagree, this point is personal taste anyways, not better or worst

gogol

May 20, 2005
I don't think this will work on GSM phone, no, it won't work.

And I won't pick any phone without AMOLED screen at least (Samsung SUPER AMOLED is better though).

More megapixel camera is useless with that tiny sensor, believe me on this. It is better to have less megapixel under the same sensor size.

Samsung Galaxy S with its 4" SUPER AMOLED is quite ideal for me, but I don't like the software, the hardware (too rounded) and ... Samsung :)

I think, my feeling told me ... at the end of this year, there will be better phone from HTC with 1.5GHz Snapdragon, 4.3" AMOLED screen, 1080p HD recording.
Why? Because in June there will be iPhone 4G ... which should be better than current 3GS.
HTC is keeping its weapon to outdone that to stay on top.

Mark my dream ... eh, my words :D

Last edited:

AaronJoYee

Jul 23, 2009
I think, my feeling told me ... at the end of this year, there will be better phone from HTC with 1.5GHz Snapdragon, 4.3" AMOLED screen, 1080p HD recording.
Why? Because in June there will be iPhone 4G ... which should be better than current 3GS.
HTC is keeping its weapon to outdone that to stay on top.

Mark my dream ... eh, my words :D

Has HTC ever release a superphone at the end of the year?

hondaex

Mar 24, 2010
TAIPEI
well~~~I won't choose EVO too many problem for now

It will be at least two kind of 4G chip and count less 4G ISP

shaneaus

Nov 27, 2007
Austin, Texas
We just need to get used to that fact that there will be so many Android devices coming out that.... By the time we purchase the next greatest device the next greatest device will be coming out to upstage what we just bought.

Just like computers were doing for many years. By the time I got a new graphics card/cpu installed and fired up my computer I would get on the net only to read that my new GPU/CPU was already old news...:mad:

I long since learned to enjoy what I just purchased and worry about a new gadget when I had the extra money to upgrade.:)

I'm just happy that we now have options. I just wish US ATT would get off it's app and release a great Android device! :mad:

Rutter

Sep 12, 2006
Herts
Wow, I was all set to preorder my desire today - then this pops up!

Anyone know if we're likely to see a UK release? I'm just about to email HTC to ask.

Rutter

Sep 12, 2006
Herts
Well, I got a (pretty unhelpful) reply from HTC about a UK release of the Supersonic.

Dear Paul

Thank you for contacting us.

At the moment we won't comment on future products releases before an official statement but we suggest to follow us on our social networks (Facebook, Twitter) or consult periodically our website for the latest news on our products.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if required.

Best regards,

Pedro S.
HTC

s4vva

Jan 13, 2006
wow

This is the device I want. I am torn now between the Desire and Evo. Worst thing that could happen is I order the desire and next month the evo gets a UK release......

thedalmeny

Jul 27, 2008
You won't be seeing a european release of this for quite a while

Sprint getting it summer 2010 - and it's a CDMA device.. So no GSM for us..

HTC Desire also seems to be more of the focus for europe - Evo is more focusing on new network technology. Hense 4G :).

I'd go for the HTC Desire - even if this does come to europe - it'll be 9-12 months before it does.

HDMI out? I struggle to see the point :)

sim-value

Sep 27, 2009
To anyone outside the US Complaining:

THE EVO IS COMPLETLY USELESS FOR YOU!
WiMax will not be deployed in (most) European Countrys
The evo does not support GSM, CDMA is used nowhere in Europe or the rest of the world execpt US!

patasenko

Apr 26, 2008
Maastricht
I would like to have Desire a lot actually. I see all the benefits but actually the only thing that i have doubts now, is the fact that it took them 4g phone to introduce front facing camera on the android.
yeah, i understand why you might think why would i need front facing camera, but i would like the possibility to use for skype, fring, free video call.
720p - well, its not real concern, because its more of a an extra feature than necessity.
8mp camera with 2 lights --- also if you take photos with your phone it still wont be the quality of dsrl camera.
i think the screen is too big for everyday use, of course there are benefits of using extra screen size, but then again you use a netbook for that, then normal laptop... then tv and finally imax experiance :D
4g is also a nice feature but its still has a bit to go, about 2 years before its full implemented, so by that time new-better phones will be out.
the rest is been said already.

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
To be honest I think the Evo looks a bit fat compared to the HD2 which I currently own. I have a Desire on Preorder and having owned a 4.3" device I'm happy to scale down my screen size for screen quality. Think of it like a tv - would you swap your Samsung 42" LED tv for a 46" LCD of similar general spec? I know I wouldn't. Browsing will be splendid on the Desire.

Supposedly 720p DivX and video recording will be on the Desire at launch or thereafter. Not so bothered about the video recording side but im sure if the Evo can play Divx up to 720p someone will find how to enable it on other snapdragon based Android devices in no time.

HDMI out is of no interest to me whatsoever and will no doubt necessitate a 30 dollar cable.

Better camera? HTC cameras are all crap anyway; i'd happily keep a 5mp christmas cracker lens and have the option of a decent loudspeaker like Nokia and iPhone 3g owners get.

redrazr7791

Feb 10, 2008
I'm just happy that we now have options. I just wish US ATT would get off it's app and release a great Android device! :mad:

Coming from a fellow Texan...I couldn't agree with you more! They completely FAILED big time with the Backflip and Dell Aero (or whatever that P.O.S. is called).

2 more days of CTIA and I am keeping my fingers crossed that something is mentioned about the Desire & AT&T :(

Last edited:

K 7

Jul 28, 2009
Sheffield
We just need to get used to that fact that there will be so many Android devices coming out that.... By the time we purchase the next greatest device the next greatest device will be coming out to upstage what we just bought.

Just like computers were doing for many years. By the time I got a new graphics card/cpu installed and fired up my computer I would get on the net only to read that my new GPU/CPU was already old news...:mad:

I long since learned to enjoy what I just purchased and worry about a new gadget when I had the extra money to upgrade.:)

Totally agree here, tech is never gonna stop. We can't get us up2date stuff,
by the time we get what we DESIRE most, there will be another mouth-watering thing in news...

So best option as my friend says above is LEARN TO ENJOY WHAT U HAVE GOT NOW...plus (my suggestion)... start saving 4 next
wish list.

farnsbarns

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I think the EVO is ugly.

There is no point in more than 1 megapixel camera for most people. The latest phones have less than 1million pixel screens and even average computer screens only just exceed a million pixels. How many of your phone photos have you printed? Also phones are still using CMOS sensors and the point above about a lower resolution being better is correct. It means less red and blue sensor noise in the images when displayed on a larger screen such as on your PC. This is caused by the sensor over amplifying due to the tiny amount of light coming in through the tiny aperture.

There is no GSM support so no sim card. When you have finished with the phone it is a door stop!

There is one area with experimental 4g in the UK (Just outside Slough) and they switch it off when they are not testing it. We will NOT see 4g until some bandwidth becomes available, this will happen when the terrestrial TV signal swiches off freeing up 800MHz. This wont happen until around your next upgrade anyway (2012) and by then there will be even better 4g devices to choose from.

Also in the video of the EVO the cammera is demonstrated, frankly, it sucks, there is a light sorce in the back ground (Probably a window) and it whites out completely, so much show I am not 100% sure that the light sorce is a window as you cant see a thing, this happenes on both the still shot and the video. The desire most definately does support 800x480 video which, believe it or not, constitutes HD (anything with more than 425 lines is defined as HD)

Capasitive buttons are not good IMHO.

4+ inch screen are just too big, I have played with the HD2 and is is just too big in your pocket!

And seriously, think about it, when are you going to use an HDMI output, I have a PC and Blu-Ray at home and I cant see too many esablishment letting me plug my phone into their HDTV, I can't even imagine my friends would be over the moon about me turning up with my new phone and insisting on connecting it to the back of their telly either, it seems pointless, something you would try out, think it was cool and then never use ever again.

Dont loose any sleep over this phone, 4g is it's only +point and we have no network for some time to come!

Last edited:

glumardok

Apr 7, 2008
Berlin
With regard to the 8 MP camera: I wonder all the time whether the Desire will have the same camera chip as the HD2? In the tweaks threads on the HD2 it is said that the HD2 camera by means of just the software has been limited to 5 MP, but that it is an 8 MP chip. In order to achieve cost reduction by great numbers, HTC might build the same camera chip into all models - HD2, Desire, N1, Evo - and only the Evo is heralded to have an 8 MP camera?

The similar question applies to the WiFi functionality, where the HD2 also has 802.11n (not b/g only).

In the end, the difference between Desire and Evo appears to be limited to the (currently use- and senseless, to my opinion) 4G capability plus the HDMI out plus the HD2-like size of the Evo. Not reason to feel sorry for the Desire, really.

XDA mark

Dec 30, 2009
Rotterdam (NL) & Timisoara (RO)
Dear friends,

Why better?
1. Larger display
4. HDMI out!

1. That is one of the reasons I am leaving the HD2: 4.3 inch is to big. After a few months of using I found out that 4.3 inch is nice, but it is not necessary. I rather have a 3.7 - 4.0 inch screen that I can much better use with one hand, while still having almost the same experience I have with my 4.3 inch screen.

2. Yes, indeed that is true. Not a huge problem though, the 5 mp camera's on the Desire/HD2/Nexus One make good pictures and decent video's for my needs.

3. I really do not care about that, at all! :) And it was rumored that it would come to the Desire as well.

4. Again, I do not care about that.

5. I don't know about that. It looks kind of big, and it is not as 'curved' as the Desire. IMO they both look just as nice, but they both have different styles.

I myself thought for a second if the EVO 4G was not a better choice, but quickly knew the answer to that. For me, the Desire is still on top. I think the 3.7 inch (AMOLED btw, much nicer) will suite me better. And the EVO does not really offer anything else that I really need.

And I live in Europe. So that means case closed, as the EVO 4G is meant for Sprint in the US.