[Nexus 9 Mod] Cooling/Heatsink Mod

Search This thread

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
Here is the heatsink I will be using. It is 0.025" thick copper. It's about 50x thicker than the copper foil previously used.
f2136bfb8087a7889b62d133b8f3ed82.jpg

I should have the thermal pad here by Friday I think. Stay tuned.

Just curious about how much performance increase you actually see with your overclocks? I'm not really concerned about epeen Antutu scores but gaming performance. Do you just notice more stable frames? Or do you see an overall increase in FPS or both?

Philaphlous

Aug 5, 2013
Update: as your well aware. The stock tablet doesn't have very good cooling.
cabcbe8f_image.jpeg

The stock emi shield has a 0.5mm thermal pad on it. Well I thought it was 1mm. Now that I have a 2mm thermal pad. I'd like to say, you probably want a 1-1.5mm thick pad tops. 2mm has to be squished for the heatsink to fit.

Now for the new heatsink... Well really it's a heat spreader.
ad541a26_image.jpeg

This copper is 0.025inches thick. More than enough to meet all the cooling needs.

What's strange is Google put some weird type of electrical glue over all the components. So basically I had to scrape off this yellow film from the die of the k1 chip. It was very uneven and gross looking. Ifixit has a better picture of the stuff. After cleaning it off, it looks like a gpu die. Yea
1bea27de_image.jpeg

Thermal pad is on. You can't tell in this picture but the 2mm pad is definitely too thick. 2mm is like half the tablets entire thickness... Silly me.
90993bce_image.jpeg

Lastly but most important. The heatsink is on! Honestly after doing benchmarks I'm not convinced it's actually that much better... [emoji26] what might be an easier solution is actually getting a 1mm thermal pad and just swapping out the original pad for a thicker one that Google put on. The 0.5mm one barely made contact with the k1 chip at all. I'd imagine a new pad would do some goodness for cooling.
8eb7a84d_image.jpeg

I used to get mid 70c on the package temp when on the OCN forum. No I barely reach 70c but I've hit it once.

Reactions: FrankBullitt

FrankBullitt

Sep 25, 2010
Mafra, Portugal
Update: as your well aware. The stock tablet doesn't have very good cooling.
cabcbe8f_image.jpeg

The stock emi shield has a 0.5mm thermal pad on it. Well I thought it was 1mm. Now that I have a 2mm thermal pad. I'd like to say, you probably want a 1-1.5mm thick pad tops. 2mm has to be squished for the heatsink to fit.

Now for the new heatsink... Well really it's a heat spreader.
ad541a26_image.jpeg

This copper is 0.025inches thick. More than enough to meet all the cooling needs.

What's strange is Google put some weird type of electrical glue over all the components. So basically I had to scrape off this yellow film from the die of the k1 chip. It was very uneven and gross looking. Ifixit has a better picture of the stuff. After cleaning it off, it looks like a gpu die. Yea
1bea27de_image.jpeg

Thermal pad is on. You can't tell in this picture but the 2mm pad is definitely too thick. 2mm is like half the tablets entire thickness... Silly me.
90993bce_image.jpeg

Lastly but most important. The heatsink is on! Honestly after doing benchmarks I'm not convinced it's actually that much better... [emoji26] what might be an easier solution is actually getting a 1mm thermal pad and just swapping out the original pad for a thicker one that Google put on. The 0.5mm one barely made contact with the k1 chip at all. I'd imagine a new pad would do some goodness for cooling.
8eb7a84d_image.jpeg

I used to get mid 70c on the package temp when on the OCN forum. No I barely reach 70c but I've hit it once.
Silly question from a noob on this subjects:
the thermal pad you're using has adhesive surfaces or are you using thermal glue?
And the copper shielding you're using is 0.025inches (0.64mm). Would a 1.0mm one with bigger surface (different curtting) help spread the heat and thus reduce in a couple of degrees the temp directly above the k1 chip, or it wouldn't make a difference in this case?

One last question: how did you clean that yellow glue from the top of the chip?

Since my N9 is honestly effed up and google told me no warranty on my defective screen because my back cover has been removed (to fix those damn sunk buttons), I'm all for turning this piece of crap into some experiments guinea pig :p

Last edited:

Philaphlous

Aug 5, 2013
Good questions.
1. The copper is as thick as I can put in the nexus 9. It already bulges some of the back. You definitely wouldn't want 1mm.
2. The thermal pad is very sticky. There is no need for any glue as I have to apply a good deal of force to remove it.
The only thing I read might help is getting a 1mm pad instead and also having a thermal pad between the copper and the outer case. I've read that helps dissipate heat even more...

FrankBullitt

Sep 25, 2010
Mafra, Portugal
Good questions.
1. The copper is as thick as I can put in the nexus 9. It already bulges some of the back. You definitely wouldn't want 1mm.
2. The thermal pad is very sticky. There is no need for any glue as I have to apply a good deal of force to remove it.
The only thing I read might help is getting a 1mm pad instead and also having a thermal pad between the copper and the outer case. I've read that helps dissipate heat even more...

Thanks for the quick answers :)
I'm going to visit a few electric component houses in the next few days and check for materials to spend a few hours on a friday night making my changes too.

0.025inches copper and 1mm pad it'll be then. I'm just going to make a wider cut in the copper shield just to have it a little different than yours and compare.
Edit: and test with an extra 0.5mm pad outside the copper too if I can find a cheap small pad of that size too ;)

Philaphlous

Aug 5, 2013
Well I think what I'm going to do might be a little different. I have an article for cooling solutions for ipads and one company dropped the cpu temp from 95c to 69c. I think I've missed something. I know this is not even close to the performance we should be getting. I think the main issue is this thermal pad. I really need to work on a thermal paste solution. I now have a fine cut copper shim, I will lap that so it's perfectly flat. Once that's done I will work on matching up the heat spreader and add additional thermal paste. This should drastically change the thermal conductivity and heat transfer to the heat spreader. I will update you of my progress. I need to buy some thermal paste...im out.

Reactions: MetalWych

Philaphlous

Aug 5, 2013
Well I've ordered some new thermal paste now. I know for sure that using thermal paste will be a huge difference with cooling. Now that I know how to cut copper without bending it I've cut a new heat spreader. I will keep everyone updated but I think a copper shim with thermal paste is the new way to go...
It'll be next week before I get the paste.

Reactions: MetalWych

Philaphlous

Aug 5, 2013
Ah ha! Finally success! Only took about 30 times opening and closing get my tablet. But I now have a very well cooled k1 chip. The thermal paste arrived, removed the thermal pad and walla, great results.
fd06201e_image.jpeg

This is the k1 chip with a copper shim. I used thermal paste and some glue to glue down the shim since I don't want it moving at all.
Next, I was finally able to cut some copper and keep it flat. Fortunately it fit perfect the very first time.
4c7440b2_image.jpeg

As you see, I placed the 2mm thermal pad on the back side of the k1 chip. This adds pressure to the heatsink and will use the back cover as a pressure plate to always provide a good contact with the chip.
092b590d_image.jpeg

As you can see, there's a slight indentation in the thermal pad. This is from the back of the cover where it's pressing on the pad and adding pressure to the heatsink, this ensures proper contact with the chip since there's nothing to screw down the heatsink with.

Overall I have about a 10c drop in temperatures for about 35 seconds. After that it will slowly raise in temperature as the copper heat plate becomes saturated with heat. However, I used to see 85c in some benchmarks at the stock tablet, now I don't see anything past 76c.

Lw00d

May 18, 2009
LA Baby!!!
Ah ha! Finally success! Only took about 30 times opening and closing get my tablet. But I now have a very well cooled k1 chip. The thermal paste arrived, removed the thermal pad and walla, great results.
fd06201e_image.jpeg

This is the k1 chip with a copper shim. I used thermal paste and some glue to glue down the shim since I don't want it moving at all.
Next, I was finally able to cut some copper and keep it flat. Fortunately it fit perfect the very first time.
4c7440b2_image.jpeg

As you see, I placed the 2mm thermal pad on the back side of the k1 chip. This adds pressure to the heatsink and will use the back cover as a pressure plate to always provide a good contact with the chip.
092b590d_image.jpeg

As you can see, there's a slight indentation in the thermal pad. This is from the back of the cover where it's pressing on the pad and adding pressure to the heatsink, this ensures proper contact with the chip since there's nothing to screw down the heatsink with.

Overall I have about a 10c drop in temperatures for about 35 seconds. After that it will slowly raise in temperature as the copper heat plate becomes saturated with heat. However, I used to see 85c in some benchmarks at the stock tablet, now I don't see anything past 76c.

i dont see the pictures your posting

quizface

Sep 12, 2012
fd06201e_image.jpeg

4c7440b2_image.jpeg

092b590d_image.jpeg

can you see them now?

Last edited:

raschi78

Nov 15, 2013
Thanks for this awesome mod. Can you please provide a parts list with links to where I can buy them?

Philaphlous

Aug 5, 2013
Just a quick update. I've been running this mod for the past 6 months with no adverse effects. Everything works great on the tablet. And with my newly discovered undervolting for both the CPU and GPU, the tablet doesn't get quite as hot as it used to. Yes, unfortunately it still does thermally throttle with it overclocked to 2.499GHz, however, it can maintain a max clock much longer than it used to before. I believe the only real way to cool the K1 chip would be to have an active heatsink on it, which would defeat the purpose of the tablet...or a much bigger heatsink that would probably double the size of the tablet. If the case of the tablet was designed to have a bulge in the back of it, you might be able to fit a much larger heatsink but due to the enclosed space, it wouldn't really do much good so a block of copper would literally work just as well... Oh well. Until we move down to <20nm and power consumption greatly decreases I can't imagine we'd reach a point when thermal throttling wouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: RogueSven

octagonPerfectionist

May 28, 2014
Kind of disappointing that there isn't really a real solution to this. I think Google just focused too much on making it thin without any regard to heat. My tablet is basically useless on warm summer days because it severely overheats and throttles even with light usage and basically becomes unresponsive and unstable to the point of being completely unusable (for example: freezing for about a minute then crashing).

This coupled with the fact that it simply doesn't have enough RAM to multitasking properly makes this tablet pretty much useless. Which is a shame because there still aren't any good android tablets in this form factor and price range. Samsung has decided that tablets should be a last-generation budget product (unlike apple, which uses their latest, cutting edge parts along with other nice things like an anti-reflective coating and fingerprint sensor that actually works) and put last year's Note 4 hardware and a tiny battery in their new Tab S2.

Looks like the android tablet market is gonna stay pretty sad in the higher end forever at this rate. Unless nvidia releases a new Shield tablet with a similar form factor and functionality to the nexus 9 along with an actual attempt at cooling it properly (like they did with the original one). It is about time for a new one to be announced after all. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Denvertoad

dkryder

Sep 26, 2013
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 5a
reason is the market sorta demands thin and light in a device these days. two things that run against proper cooling. the heat sinks just draws and stores heat until it can be removed somehow. if it can go nowhere then over time it is just part of the problem. one solution would be to fabricate about a 1/8" or 1/4" extender for the back which would allow for the heat to be removed via passive or active [small fans] process. at this point you would be up against a device which is at least 1/4" more thick, but not much heavier. you could make it clear to make it interesting. but i guess most people would not want it except those who want cooling, that is, if this idea could be made to work. i suppose a cheap back cover for the n9 could be found to experiment with. i don't have the ability to do it myself but if it was nicely fabricated, i would buy one.

Last edited:

Suici Doga

Mar 3, 2016
Colombo
suicsoft.com
Well the strange thing is the mod works great... However, it doesn't really help throttling... So something else has to be throttling down the chip...
Quite disappointing.
6ec230ee26f04c298e265a2fbe9e3c03.jpg

The actual chip will throttle at 72c ... However at 2.5ghz it's maxing around 68c on a stress test...
Another strange thing is when the gpu is overclocked to 950mhz the temps go through the roof on some stress tests. I've seen temps upto 87c when stressing the gpu and that's after the mod. Overclocking just 100mhz creates a huge temp difference for the gpu...
My Nexus 9 (completely stock) went up to 93C yesterday.Not over clocking , completely stock

ronald_loulan

Apr 14, 2010
Much appreciates to OP for all these info.
I was using my stock N9 to play PUBG for around 15min and it heat up around 52c according to KA and Devcheck.
It throttle down from 2400mhz to 1300mhz which is almost unplayable and it might get throttle even further.
Not sure if the temperature reading is correct or not as other mentioned it gets throttle after 72c.
Any app that's recommended for cpu,gpu and temperature measurement?

ronald_loulan

Apr 14, 2010
Finally I improved the cooling system opening the devices few times.
My method was pretty easy and much better compare to stock cooling system.
Sorry I didnt snap pic during the process but its quite straightforward.

1.Remove back cover and strip it according to OP's guide until you saw the CPU and GPU.
2.Remove the yellow die on the CPU and GPU
3.Clean the surface of CPU and GPU with isopropyl or etc
4.Put CM Mastergel Maker on CPU and GPU. Don't use the stock thermal pad or anything else!!
5.Make sure the paste is thick enough to contact with the aluminum plate/cover.
6.Clean the bottom of the copper foil, its full of adhesive.
7.Make sure the surface of copper foil and aluminum plate/cover is clean
8.Apply CM Mastergel Maker in between copper foil and aluminum plate/cover
9.Use some good adhesive to hold down the copper foil to keep contact for heat transfer
10.Check everything is good and install back cover. VOILA!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180817_191328.jpg
    IMG_20180817_191328.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 452

ronald_loulan

Apr 14, 2010
Before the mod,running PUBG for 15min and the CPU speed dropped from 2499 to 1326 and the temperature is around 76c.

After the mod, running PUBG for 15min and the CPU speed dropped from 2499 to 1900 and the temperature is around 71c.

PUBG is much more playable after the mod due higher clock speed compare to the 1300 which is lagging badly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180808-140306.jpg
    Screenshot_20180808-140306.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Screenshot_20180817-190948.jpg
    Screenshot_20180817-190948.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 242

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok guys,

First off, I'd like to give a little disclaimer, opening your tablet and/or doing mods is dangerous for the tablet and could potentially lead to either breaking something or destroying your tablet. You're forewarned and I'm not responsible for any damage you do to your own device.

The idea:
    The Nexus 9 gets quite hot. Especially when holding the tablet directly on the back, the NFC antenna area gets quite warm because the SOC Tegra K1 is right behind it on the motherboard. The idea is to 1. Create better cooling performance and 2. Create a barrier for the heat so the back of the tablet no longer gets that hot.

The Mod:
    Step 1:
    Remove the back cover of the tablet. It's super easy. Basically if you have a decent fingernail all you need is that. Just gently squeeze your fingernail between the back and the aluminum side and you should then feel and hear a little popping noise. This is the tabs all around the cover popping off. Once you do this, you should be able to remove the back of the cover without damaging anything.
    j1OS5BSyX1WXQVKv.huge

G2LiZNdLa1esUO6v.huge

Step 2:
    Get access to the motherboard. You'll notice the top of the tablet has copper foil at the top. This is the "shielding" which we will utilize as the heatsink. Obviously its very little copper and doesn't possess alot of thermal capacity to hold alot of heat. All we're doing here is creating a barrier so that the copper can soak up some of the heat from the Tegra K1 chip.
    e3c628e7_image.jpeg

OCRii1iM4IpKw2gH.huge

You don't need to remove the motherboard but here's what we're trying to get at. Behind this tin cover is the chip.
    Add foam or a thick (1-2mm) piece of double sided tape that allows for the area to be compressed. This will basically ensure that the tin shield and copper are pressed against the Tegra K1 chip. This basically is the alternate to screwing down the heatsink like we would on a PC or laptop.
    bf3d66e5_image.jpeg

Step 5:
    Put the back back on the tablet. You'll notice that the foam really sticks out and doesn't allow the cover to fully reattach to the tablet. You'll have to make sure its not TOO thick or the back won't go back on properly. Remember, the NFC antenna prongs are close to this area so you can't make it too thick or else the tablet won't turn on.
    f5a59a06_image.jpeg

You'll notice the back is raised a tad in that area but it also feels very firm because the foam is pressing against the motherboard where the chip is. This will make us sure that the foam is doing the job of pressing the tin and copper shield against the chip.

After that you're done. It's a simple mod and it should drop your tablet anywhere from 2-5C for a little period of time. Obviously the cooling isn't active cooling so after a certain amount of benchmarking or stress on the chip, it'll begin to warm like normal.

Good luck. Let me know what you guys think. I considered replacing the tin shield with copper but decided that'd be a bad idea.
    fd06201e_image.jpeg

4c7440b2_image.jpeg

092b590d_image.jpeg

Here is the heatsink I will be using. It is 0.025" thick copper. It's about 50x thicker than the copper foil previously used.
    f2136bfb8087a7889b62d133b8f3ed82.jpg

I should have the thermal pad here by Friday I think. Stay tuned.
    OK a revisit from the past... The mod helped some but it is still lacking. I ended up breaking down and purchasing 2mm thick thermal pads last night. This is vitally important for this mod. I will have a new guide up in a week or 2 once I get the pads and install them. I've realized the thermal transfer is terrible with the stock 0.5-1mm thermal pad... Hopefully this will finally resolve the heat issues.
    Don't think step 4, adding the foam to the back of the chip is a good idea. All that's going to do is hold in the heat and not allow the chip to cool. The copper sheet is too thin to conduct much heat out from under it it.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using XDA Free mobile app