[LB] Create ROOTED update package from stock FTF (Windows)

Search This thread

loonlekim

Mar 15, 2013
I used this guide together with zxz0O0's fix and got root, working dual recovery and r/w system. Rolling on a fully debloated 5.0.2 atm, tho be aware that for some reason you need to restart the phone after uninstalling system apps else you won't see the change.
I have working dual recovery, but my R/W is not. :( what did you do to make it work?

VaLee

Dec 19, 2012
I have working dual recovery, but my R/W is not. :( what did you do to make it work?
The only thing different than this guide, after I finished with it I applied zxz0O0's fix the again NUT's installer to get the working BL, then loaded the BL and mounted system and reboot. Not sure if any of those contributed to r/w system tho, might aswell try it. Also don't forget to disable Mount Namespace Separation in SuperSU and reboot after. I upgraded straight from 4.4.2 to 5.0.2 btw.

Last edited:

loonlekim

Mar 15, 2013
The only thing different than this guide, after I finished with it I applied zxz0O0's fix the again NUT's installer to get the working BL, then loaded the BL and mounted system and reboot. Not sure if any of those contributed to r/w system tho, might aswell try it. Also don't forget to disable Mount Namespace Separation in SuperSU and reboot after. I upgraded straight from 4.4.2 to 5.0.2 btw.
Can you explain further the steps you did after zxz0O0's fix?

VaLee

Dec 19, 2012
Can you explain further the steps you did after zxz0O0's fix?
After you apply zxz0O0's fix you should have working dual recovery, you will know if it's working since you'll see a purple notification light followed by 2 small vibrations. Spam the volume down key when you feel the vibrations and you'll enter the recovery. There go to Mount and check the System box, then go Reboot -> Reboot to System. Once the phone booted up open SuperSU and uncheck the Mount Namespace Separation checkbox and reboot your phone again. I also ran this file taken from here, but that's because I didn't get working recovery from the first time, not sure if it's necessary. That's basically all I did.

loonlekim

Mar 15, 2013
After you apply zxz0O0's fix you should have working dual recovery, you will know if it's working since you'll see a purple notification light followed by 2 small vibrations. Spam the volume down key when you feel the vibrations and you'll enter the recovery. There go to Mount and check the System box, then go Reboot -> Reboot to System. Once the phone booted up open SuperSU and uncheck the Mount Namespace Separation checkbox and reboot your phone again. I also ran this file taken from here, but that's because I didn't get working recovery from the first time, not sure if it's necessary. That's basically all I did.
Tried that but didnt work :(

rubbebandman

May 26, 2011
i hope this thread would be updated soon. i'm really excited to update my phone to lollipop but i dont want to lose root. :(

bdithug

Mar 26, 2012
Burlington
LG G8
Sony Xperia 1 IV
i hope this thread would be updated soon. i'm really excited to update my phone to lollipop but i dont want to lose root. :(

The thread doesn't need to be updated really, the process will still be the same. The recovery is what needs to be updated to work properly with lollipop. But yes I'm in the same boat as you. Would like to upgrade to lollipop but I need a working recovery and root to work first.

Reactions: rubbebandman

Parul.Prabhat

Oct 26, 2014
Guys, NUT has released new version of dualrecovery. Is all ok now?

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

I mean can we go ahead and flash 5.0.2?

loonlekim

Mar 15, 2013

Guys, NUT has released new version of dualrecovery. Is all ok now?

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

I mean can we go ahead and flash 5.0.2?

Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.8.6-RELEASE.installer Attempt 8 (so far, the latest) is working. You have to flash XZDR-removaltool.zip first before you can install the latest recovery. Working Recovery, Working r/w

loonlekim

Mar 15, 2013
I'm following [NUT]'s thread and still waiting for a fully working recovery both on KK and LP (preferably flashable.zip to include it with the pre-rooted update package). If it's final, I'll update the OP [emoji106]

the windows installer is working but the flashable zip seems to have some problems

Parul.Prabhat

Oct 26, 2014
Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.8.6-RELEASE.installer Attempt 8 (so far, the latest) is working. You have to flash XZDR-removaltool.zip first before you can install the latest recovery. Working Recovery, Working r/w

how can i flash XZDR-removaltool.zip. cud u tell me how to do it via flashtool? :eek::D

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

guys [NUT] has released 2.8.7..does it work via direct flashing with 5.0.2..??

loonlekim

Mar 15, 2013
how can i flash XZDR-removaltool.zip. cud u tell me how to do it via flashtool? :eek::D

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

guys [NUT] has released 2.8.7..does it work via direct flashing with 5.0.2..??
It is flashable via recovery.

Prior to flashing XZDR-removaltool.zip, i have 2.8.3 XZDual Recovery working (but r/w doesnt work) via byeselinux. So, flashing XZDR-removaltool will just delete any traces of 2.8.3 so you have fresh installation of 2.8.6.

Parul.Prabhat

Oct 26, 2014
I have flashed prerooted 5.0.2 with 2.8.7 bundled in the flashable zip file on my Z2 from India with LB. root working, r/w working, had found the Image enhancement system files missing in the update. applied niaboc79's image enhancement fix and all is well!!

i had uninstalled xposed framework and modules before LP update. the things i have have heard abt xposed bootloop on LP make me apprehensive. anyone running on xposed without bootloop? i wud love to have extra functionality and modifications of xposed!

Parul.Prabhat

Oct 26, 2014
I want to give confirmation that [NUT]'s DualRecovery 2.8.7 works fine. I had bundled the flashable zip in prf creator. I can boot to recovery from ndr utilities, from volume buttons just fine. Made a nandroid backup of system via TWRP successfully.
Thanks norti! Ur method works! I have full root, r/w, recovery,??

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Shud i upload screenshots?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With the latest firmwares not directly rootable you need to download or create an update package with root and recovery and update your system via recovery. This won't delete your data and root will be there on 5.x.x. I made this complete tutorial so that everyone can make an update from an FTF file.

THIS IS FOR LOCKED BOOTLOADER and/or STOCK KERNEL ONLY !!!

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP !!!

1.1 You need obviously an already rooted phone with [NUT]'s DualRecovery installed and working (this can be achieved on firmwares with Android 4.4 and 5.0.2)
    If you don't have the recovery, you can install it from here: [Z2][TWRP][PhilZ Touch][CWM] XZDualRecovery Q&A see post #2 there for instructions. 2.8.12 and later should work on KitKat and Lollipop too!
    1.2 You need Flashtool with working USB drivers (Make sure flashmode works - which means the drivers are properly installed on your system, especially on Windows 8/8.1/10 - before you start this tutorial).

2. Download the newest FTF update file for your phone/branding. Use the same customization version (xxxx-xxxx) that is on your phone now!
    This you can do with Flashtool (Devices/Check Updates menu) or download it from the [FTF] STOCK FIRMWARES for Xperia Z2 thread.
    (Alternative option for advanced users: XperiFirm -> you can create an FTF from the downloaded firmware files with Flashtool.)

3.1 Download PRFCreator v1.1.zip from [TOOL] PRFCreator - easily create pre-rooted firmwares.
    3.2 Download latest stable SuperSU update package from here.
    3.3 Download XZDualRecovery's latest - 2.8.23 - flashable version (Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.8.xx-RELEASE.combined.zip) from here (XZDualRecovery section).

You will have 5 files so far:
    PRFCreator v0.5.zip
    D650x_23.x.1.A.x.xxx.ftf (with different name and firmware version number)
    UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.8.x-RELEASE.flashable.zip

4. Unzip PRFCreator and run it.

5. Load the FTF, SuperSU and Z2-lockeddualrecovery (flashable) zip files into the three section.

6. Uncheck all the Include options [ ], we don't need them, we will flash them with Flashtool after the update. I think it's still safer to flash kernel, baseband, boot and other system critical parts of the firmware from Flashtool.
    (But if you want to include them anyway then you can skip part 11 and start your phone normally.)

There is a Legacy mode option in the latest version. Without it PRFCreator will use a direct sin flashing method for system update. If you check the legacy option it will use the older repack method for system. The direct sin flashing should work in most cases if not then use the legacy option.

7. Push Create. After it's finished (wait for the Create button to be available again), you'll find a flashable.zip in the folder of PRFCreator.
    Check the contents of the zip file, it should look like this with PRFCreator v0.5:
    Code:
    data
    META-INF
    system
    utils
    partition-image.sin
    system.sin
    dualrecovery.zip
    SuperSU.zip
    If something is missing, redo the process from step #4 until all is there.

8. Copy flashable.zip to the internal/external SD card of your phone. If you want to go for 100% working root and recovery copy UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip and Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.8.x-RELEASE.flashable.zip there too.

9. Boot your phone into recovery (use TWRP!).

10. Install flashable.zip in recovery. After finished DO NOT REBOOT !!!
    *Optional step: install SuperSU and Recovery again so if something went wrong during the system flashing you'll still have a working recovery.
    Clear Cache/Dalvik only and go back to Home and choose Reboot/Power off.

11. Start Flashtool and with the Flash device icon flash the kernel and other baseband files from the FTF in Flashmode.

Use the following configuration (or similar):
    Wipe:
    Code:
    [ ] APPSLOG
    [ ] CACHE
    [ ] DATA
    Which means nothing is wiped, this is good for a system update only, that reserves your settings, applications and data. (If you want a clean system or run into errors after updating only the system, you can wipe all the three.)

Exclude:
    Code:
    [ ] BOOTBUNDLE
    [x] PARTITION
    [ ] KERNEL
    [ ] FOTA
    [ ] BASEBAND
    [x] SYSTEM
    [ ] ELABEL
    Which means system, partition and ta options are unchanged and won't be wiped/overwritten. You can exclude fota, elabel and baseband too, but some phone functions may be limited. Always use your phone's original customization version when choosing FTFs. Never exclude = never check (x) kernel. It is the main reason we're flashing this.
    TA -> not always present in the FTF file, but if you see it, then EXCLUDE it, just to be sure, you don't simlock your device

Code:
    [x] No final verification
    [ ] Reset customization

Connect the micro USB to your phone and get ready with the other end of the cable in your hand :D
    Push Flash button.
    Push the Volume down button and connect the USB cable to the computer's USB port. Wait until Flashtool begins with the flashing and you can release the Volume button now.
    When finished, unplug the the phone, start it and wait until it completes the first boot. After it is fully working, check SuperSU and if you can mount system R/W too (in Root Explorer or in other root file manager).

ENJOY another rooted version of Android ;) I can give support only for this process, for the tools you need to ask your questions in the appropriate threads above.

Thanks to @zxz0O0 for creating the PRFCreator and the Lollipop fixes, it makes things easier in this process (you don't need to mess with linux mounts, virtual machines and other scripts copying system images and recovery updates to a zip).
    Good to see most of you figured out that if you follow the steps and install the patched recovery it will solve your problems :)
    I made more comments in the OP too (see point 1,2,3 now). If you do every step as described, you should get success with root on 4.4.4.
    I want to give confirmation that [NUT]'s DualRecovery 2.8.7 works fine. I had bundled the flashable zip in prf creator. I can boot to recovery from ndr utilities, from volume buttons just fine. Made a nandroid backup of system via TWRP successfully.
    Thanks norti! Ur method works! I have full root, r/w, recovery,??

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Shud i upload screenshots?
    Guys, if we'll have a new firmware version in the future, I'll modify a the patched dualrecovery, because right now it works only on the firmwares with number: 23.0.1.A.3.9, 23.0.1.A.0.167, 17.1.2.A.0.323, 17.1.2.A.0.314.

Until [NUT]'s away I can only do edit patches after a new firmware is released. If I'll have a bit more time, I'll create a separate patch for the recoveries and that will be independent from [NUT]'s work.