[Guide] Complete Newbie Guide to Root & Install a Custom Rom [Updated 26/08]

Search This thread

btdag

Nov 25, 2009
Bournemouth
Ok guys, quick question re: this process.

I have rooted my phone back in October so that's all gravy :D though i am 'out of the loop' on the process....

My friend would now like to install custom ROMs due to the utter slickness of the ones available, he has a generic european gsm htc hero running 2.73.405.5.

Can he follow this process simply from stage one or does he need to downgrade to 1.76.405.1 as indicated in an earlier post?

Cheers fellas

Moj

Have you rooted or installed a custom rom previously? rooting is just the process of gaining root access, installing a custom rom is the process of installing a new os.

Your sig suggests you have a custom rom installed, in that case you probably have a recovery rom installed so just follow part II installing a custom rom and install the new custom rom instead of your old one.

@pulpzilla - you'll also have to clarify

ddotpatel

Mar 10, 2010
Leeds, UK
Ok guys, quick question re: this process.

I have rooted my phone back in October so that's all gravy :D though i am 'out of the loop' on the process....

My friend would now like to install custom ROMs due to the utter slickness of the ones available, he has a generic european gsm htc hero running 2.73.405.5.

Can he follow this process simply from stage one or does he need to downgrade to 1.76.405.1 as indicated in an earlier post?

Cheers fellas

Moj

For your friends phone, try just starting from part I. Installing a recovery image,... If you cannot install 'Flashrec' and then the recovery image, see part I - number 10 - "If you get "backup failed" response see the "Ib. Installing the correct HTC ROM" section for more details".

goatistuta

Sep 8, 2007
Liverpool
So you already have a custom ROM installed???!!!!!!

No need for the downgrade or the GoldCard method. You should be able to simply put the new ROM you want onto your SD,... then update via the recovery console.

First check what recovery console you have installed.

Turn your phone off,... then hold the "HOME" button and press the "POWER" button at the same time,...

What does it read at the bottom?... i.e,... Mine says "Build : RA-hero-v1.6.2".
You can then select "POWER OFF" or "REBOOT" once you have written down what it says.

Mine has the same build number - Is that the same a a v1.6 ROM as I thought that version had native VPN support and I it was that option I'm trying to implement.

Apologies for being a thick noobie, but what option do you choose to update from the SD?

Thanks for the help.

ddotpatel

Mar 10, 2010
Leeds, UK
Mine has the same build number - Is that the same a a v1.6 ROM as I thought that version had native VPN support and I it was that option I'm trying to implement.

Apologies for being a thick noobie, but what option do you choose to update from the SD?

Thanks for the help.

Oooh, I dont know about VPN stuff, I dont even know what that means,... Looks like I'M the thick noobie,.... Sorry.

But as to your other question, the option you need is "Flash Zip from SD Card",... then you need to pick the ROM.

But it is a good idea to do all of the following to ensure a clean install,...

"8. Select Wipe from the menu, then select:

Wipe Data/Factory Reset
Wipe Dalvik cache
Wipe SD
Press back button
Select Flash Zip from SD Card
Click Confirm"

Ian_4614

Dec 27, 2009
UK
HELP....

I tried to root my phone, following the instructions above, got to 1-10 but was not able to back up. I got the 'BACKUP FAILED' message.. so I went to downgrade my ROM version to 2.73.61.5 using the link you mentioned in the notes, directing me to HTC Program Support but it said that the version was no longer available for download....

Any ideas ????

ddotpatel

Mar 10, 2010
Leeds, UK
I tried to root my phone, following the instructions above, got to 1-10 but was not able to back up. I got the 'BACKUP FAILED' message.. so I went to downgrade my ROM version to 2.73.61.5 using the link you mentioned in the notes, directing me to HTC Program Support but it said that the version was no longer available for download....

Any ideas ????

Check here bruv,.... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=559622

MojUk

Sep 22, 2009
South West
For your friends phone, try just starting from part I. Installing a recovery image,... If you cannot install 'Flashrec' and then the recovery image, see part I - number 10 - "If you get "backup failed" response see the "Ib. Installing the correct HTC ROM" section for more details".

Thanks man, that was my thought but didn't want to potentially do any damage / brick it ;)

PulpzillA

Jan 8, 2010
Sussex
Have you rooted or installed a custom rom previously? rooting is just the process of gaining root access, installing a custom rom is the process of installing a new os.

Your sig suggests you have a custom rom installed, in that case you probably have a recovery rom installed so just follow part II installing a custom rom and install the new custom rom instead of your old one.

@pulpzilla - you'll also have to clarify

im using the unbranded 2.73.xxx firmware and its stock no rooting or anything.

ongkenhan

Aug 21, 2009
hey there, i flash my radio. waiting for reboot more than 30 minutes. is that normal? still waiting....

Bisis

Mar 14, 2009
Some questions

1) When I flash "Recovery Image" what does happens to the phone? Where this image is stored?
2) If I flash back a "Shipped ROM" does Recovery Image be removed and reverted to the original included in the Shipped ROM?
3) Can you include the guide to revert back to a Shipped ROM? Is necessary only to click on exe shipped rom's file in recovery mode?

btdag

Nov 25, 2009
Bournemouth
im using the unbranded 2.73.xxx firmware and its stock no rooting or anything.

In that case you'll need to start from the beginning!

hey there, i flash my radio. waiting for reboot more than 30 minutes. is that normal? still waiting....

No, are you sure you have a GSM phone? Try making a post about it seperate to here and ask for assistance. Exactly what does you screen look like or say?

1) When I flash "Recovery Image" what does happens to the phone? Where this image is stored?
2) If I flash back a "Shipped ROM" does Recovery Image be removed and reverted to the original included in the Shipped ROM?
3) Can you include the guide to revert back to a Shipped ROM? Is necessary only to click on exe shipped rom's file in recovery mode?

1) The recovery image is stored in the phones memory somewhere.

2) Yes it is removed, there is no recovery image in the stock HTC exe rom's

3) All you need to do is connect your phone and run the exe, it wipes everything in the process. (i don't think this is necessary to include as a separate piece - i'll put it in the faq wiki page)

Last edited:

Bisis

Mar 14, 2009
3) All you need to do is connect your phone and run the exe, it wipes everything in the process. (i don't think this is necessary to include as a separate piece - i'll put it in the faq wiki page)

Yes I saw. I tried and you're right.
But if so, why do I need to make nandroid backup? If something goes wrong it's only necessary to start RUU upgrade from official HTC's rom, not?

ongkenhan

Aug 21, 2009

Hey there. thanks. solved the problem already. when i wipe zip from sd card for the radio. it completed and load to a screen. I waited there for hours (as told by the guide). I supposed to press back and reboot the system.

BigD18t

Jan 24, 2010
Guys im currently running the clockwork recovery image to put on the latest amon ra as i want to use ap2sd , how do i flash it onto my phone ?

borhaj

Mar 28, 2010
Radio

I followed the instruction the ROM came up nice but I tried to upgrade my radio and after 2 min the screen went black and it's now 40 min and nothing has come up yet. I haven't touch the battery yet. should I wait any longer or what should I do?

btdag

Nov 25, 2009
Bournemouth
Guys im currently running the clockwork recovery image to put on the latest amon ra as i want to use ap2sd , how do i flash it onto my phone ?

Follow the instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=561124

Hey there. thanks. solved the problem already. when i wipe zip from sd card for the radio. it completed and load to a screen. I waited there for hours (as told by the guide). I supposed to press back and reboot the system.

I'll check this part and change the description. It seems to be confusing people at the moment.

I followed the instruction the ROM came up nice but I tried to upgrade my radio and after 2 min the screen went black and it's now 40 min and nothing has come up yet. I haven't touch the battery yet. should I wait any longer or what should I do?

Try pressing the back button... to be honest I found that my radio took about 1-2 minutes max to flash. If this radio stuff keeps happening i'm going to remove the section because it should be such a simple process but it is obviously not working for everyone.

borhaj

Mar 28, 2010
they said my phone was bricked so they changed it for me . is it really necessary to upgrade the radio?

kams19

Jun 28, 2008
London
Gold card is just a modified sd card which allows an exploit to be run so you can flash your phone with a generic android rom instead of your carrier specific rom. You should only need it if you have to downgrade to a generic rom. I'll add this information to the FaQ wiki page.

@kams19 - this guide has nothing to do with unlocking your phone, as far as i'm aware you need to pay for that but there may be some free methods if you search around.

thanks btdag for ur guide and comment, i have successfully rooted my phone and have installed 3 specific ROM.

Method used - the first one (not the gold card)
Phone locked to - T Mobile

thanks it was really fast, you rock mate!

mrbubba999

Mar 28, 2010
Google Pixel C
Ok, i've read that a solution to this is to have your phone connected to htc sync when you start the process (exe) (from the pull down menu - notification menu > select sync)

I'm having the same issue and doing the above doesn't make a difference.

Its loads the Bootloader and then just says "Waiting for bootloader", when it gets to 90, I get the USB 171 or USB 170 error message.

i then have to remove the battery and power the phone up again. I've tried 4 times now with the exact same problem

any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is aimed at new "rooters". The process is incredibly easy.

I also take no responsibility if you mess up somehow, and this is for GSM Hero's NOT Sprint Hero CDMA users.

In order to create this guide I downgraded my phone to RUU Orange UK 2.73.61.66 (i.e. unrooted) then updated to the pre-2.1 release from Orange and then updated to the final 2.1 release from Orange. I then used Universal Androot to gain root access and from there install a custom recovery.

I have now also included a link to z4root as an alternative.

Here is a link to my backup guide but please be aware that most of it requires root access.

Prelude:
    Install HTC Sync from here
    Download Universal Androot
    Download z4root
    Download Root Checker - only if you need to
    Download AmonRA Recovery v1.7.0.1.img - easier if you rename this "recovery.img" when it is on your sdcard
    Place both downloaded files on your SD Card

Root & Recovery

1. Download and install Astro File Manager from the Market (or use any other file management program of your choice)

2. Open Astro and find and install Universal Androot (or if that doesn't work try z4root) from your sdcard:
    Select UniversalAndroot.apk > Open App Manager > Install > Settings> [tick] Unknown Sources > OK > Back > Select UniversalAndroot.apk > Open App Manager > Install > Install > Open

3. In the app and choose the correct version from the dropdown box:
    Superuser for Android 2.0~2.2 - if you have updated your phone recently
    Superuser for Android 1.5~1.6 - if you have refused updates recently or your country/provider hasn't released one yet
    Then choose: "Root :)"
    Wait until it says "Woot ! Your device is rooted !" and exit the program.

4. Download and install Android Terminal Emulator from the Market (use Better Terminal instead if this one doesn't work)

5. Run "Terminal Emulator". Type (press and hold menu to get the keyboard up) in the following:
    su (press enter and wait for the "Super User Request Prompt". Choose "Allow" and make sure its ticked to Allow every time.)
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img (press enter - make sure this is typed exactly as seen)

N.B. If you have issues here, see * notes below for more assistance

6. Turn off your phone and press Home + Power to start it up again. This should boot into recovery mode.

Install Your Custom Rom

Note: This part of the guide can be repeated with as many different rom's as you like. You do not have to repeat the previous section once you have a recovery image installed.

1. Download a Custom ROM from here to your computer.

2. Make sure your phone is in recovery mode (Home + Power)
    Plug your phone into your computer and select "USB-MS toggle" in recovery
    Place the Custom ROM on your SD card in the main directory and press Home when it has finished copying over

3. Select Backup/Restore > Nand backup > confirm with Home > Wait
    (or Nand + Ext if you have A2SD setup)

4. Press back then select Wipe from the main menu, then select:
    Wipe data/factory reset > Home
    Wipe cache > Home
    Wipe Dalvik-cache > Home
    Wipe SD:ext partition > Home
    Press back button
    Select the file
    Press Home to confirm

Note: Ignore any "errors", they are normal and usually mean you're not using that feature.

5. Once it is done, select Reboot and you will boot into the new Custom ROM.

Updating your Radio

Note: The radio deals with your signal levels and connectivity.

1. Download the latest radio from the following page
    N.B. Radio's are not region specific! Just get the latest

2. Mount your SD Card so your computer can read it and place the downloaded file in the main directory

3. Turn off your phone and boot into the recovery screen (holding Home + Power)

4. Choose:
    Flash Zip from SD Card
    Pick the radio.zip file and press Home to confirm
    Wait
    Your phone will reboot a couple of times but when you're back on the Recovery Screen just press reboot system now and it will complete the install and put you back into your custom rom.

DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY OUT, THIS WILL BRICK YOUR HANDSET.

5. When this process has completed reboot the phone and you should have the new radio. This can be checked in Settings > About Phone

*Useful Information!!
    Tested this on 1.5 the other day, nice one BtDaG ;)

For those of you having problems flashing the recovery, try entering this before the flash_image command:
    Code:
    rm /data/local/rights/mid.txt
    ln -s /dev/mtd/mtd1 /data/local/rights/mid.txt
    (btw, ROM Manager has an option to flash Amon_RA at the bottom ;) )

** Missing flash_image - confirmed to work by another user, please inform if different
    Download the flash_image.zip and unzip to your PC folder. Setup ADB. Place the recovery_image .zip in a folder called recovery on your computers C: drive. Then you will be able to run the following adb commands below from a cmd prompt on your computer:

cd c:\recovery
    this will ensure you are in the correct folder
    adb root
    This will start ADB as root, or notify if it is already running as root.
    adb remount
    This will mount the system partition (/system) as writable, allowing the following
    adb push flash_image /system/bin
    This will send the flash_image script into the /system/bin, so we can use it from within the shell
    adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image
    Finally, change the permissions of the script to allow it to perform the desired action. Now that the script is installed, we are ready to proceed with flashing the custom recovery, saved on the root of the SD card earlier:
    adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    this will install the the recovery - now continue the process where you left off
    *** solution 3
    A big thankyou to duck0 for identifying the problem and botoo for getting me to a happy conclusion with the correct commands

SOLUTION IS HERE USING Console mode from windows using ADB USB DEBUGGING HAS TO BE ENABLED WITH HERO CONNECTED TO PC THEN TYPE THE FOLLOWING
    THEN ENTER AFTER EACH COMMAND
    anyone needing help setting up adb see this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=757233

adb shell

su

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    Thats it all done next step

INSTALL ROM MANAGER FROM MARKET IT IS FREE
    open it and sellect flash alternate recovery image from the bottom, you can use the clockwork recovery but it is not compattable with all roms.
    once done turn phone off, boot into recovery home + power choose to exit recovery with reboot shut down once again and if you can enter recovery then everything is sweet.

Setup Apps2SD

ONLY RECOMMENDED ON CLASS 4+ SD CARDS. Don't bother if you don't know what this is :). GIYF.

Do this process after doing everything else! So make sure you have a working custom rom installed which supports Apps2SD. This is designed for VillainROM which doesn't use a swap, if your ROM does support swap ask for a recommended amount. Also note that the ext2 partition will be unreadable from windows or through android os.

1. Backup your SD card to your computer (very important as this process will wipe all the data on it)

2. Restart your phone into recovery mode (Home + Power)

3. Select:
    Partition sdcard
    Partition SD
    Press Home
    Swap-size = 0 MB
    Ext2-size = 512 MB (recommended)
    FAT32-size = Remainder
    Press Home

4. Once complete Reboot system now and wait! This can take 20 minutes or so to complete, so just keep waiting!

DO NOT USE EXT3 or EXT4 partitions. They will just wear out your sd card quicker. They are designed for large files systems (i.e. 50GB+) with full operating systems running on them! The only benefit they bring is indexing (which on a 512MB partition is worthless). (Optional - before reboot) - Under partition sdcard you can convert the ext2 partition to ext3 - "SD:ext2 to ext3" - however this isn't recommended as it will wear out your sd card quicker. There is also often support for ext4 so you can do "SD:ext3 to ext4" after the first one too. Though again this will typically just wear out your SD faster without providing any speed benefits. See note above.

Code:
    [B]OLD PROCESS BACKED UP JUST IN CASE. PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THIS SECTION OF THE GUIDE![/B]

Largely based upon the Unlockr guides, so thank you Unlockr!

Please do NOT be mislead. This is NOT a quick process, though the time has been reduced significantly if you don't need the goldcard method.
    There is no "one-click" version or "quick-install".

You should set aside at least an hour for this process and preferably read through the process once before actually attempting it.

[B]Please make a quick post with your experiences, including your brand of phone and location.
    Please check the FaQ first before asking questions :)[/B]

[COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][U]Contents[/U][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Pre: Backup[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]1. Installing a Recovery Image
    a. Installing the Correct HTC ROM
    2. Loading the Custom ROM
    3. Updating your Radio[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Setup Apps2SD
    Check A2SD[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]"GoldCard" Test Procedure
    I. Setting up the drivers
    II. Create a “GoldCard” from a MicroSD Card
    III. Downgrade the Hero using the Goldcard[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]FaQ[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=3][U]Pre: Backup[/U][/SIZE]

1. Backup contacts etc with HTC Sync.

2. Backup your SD Card or use a spare

3. Backup SMS Messages with SMS Backup & Recovery[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=3][U]1. Installing a Recovery Image[/U][/SIZE]

1. On your phone, go to Settings > Applications - and make sure "Unknown Source" is ticked.

2. On your phone, go to Settings > SD card and phone storage - click Unmount SD card.

3. Then click Format SD card.

4. Plug the phone into the computer via USB, then pull down the notification bar and click on the SD card notification. Then click mount.

5. Download this APK and recovery image and save it to your computer:

[URL]http://zenthought.org/content/project/flashrec[/URL] - FlashRec.apk 
    [URL]http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=561124[/URL] - Amon_Ra’s Hero Recovery Image 

6. Copy them both to your SD card (do NOT put them inside any folders on the SD card, just put them on the SD card itself).

7. Unplug the phone from the computer once they are downloaded to the SD card.

8. Go to the Market and download ASTRO File Manager or any file manager program if you do not already have one.

9. Open the file manager and find the FlashRec apk file and click it and choose open app manager and then install it.

10. When it is installed click Open. Click on Backup Recovery Image and wait for it to finish. If you get "backup failed" response see the text on the right for more details, if the backup is a success carry on to step 11.

[RIGHT][SIZE=1][U]a. Installing the correct HTC ROM[/U]

Orange UK Users - Please downgrade your ROM version to [URL="http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportViewNews.aspx?dl_id=675&news_id=261"]2.73.61.5[/URL]

Generic Hero Users - Please downgrade to [URL="http://x7.to/6jexri"]2.73.405.5[/URL], or follow the goldcard method if this doesn't work

T-Mobile UK Users – Please follow the "Goldcard" method below

All Other Users - Please follow the "Goldcard" method below[/SIZE][/RIGHT]

11. Once done, click on the empty text box in the FlashRec program and type:

/sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img
    (replace exact name as new versions come out)

Then click on the Flash Recovery Image button and wait for it to finish.

[SIZE=3][U]2. Loading the Custom ROM[/U][/SIZE]

N.B. This part of the guide can be repeated with as many different rom's as you like. You do not have to repeat the previous sections once you have a recovery image installed.

1. Download a Custom ROM from  [URL]http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=512[/URL]  to your computer.

2. Plug in your phone and pull down the Notification bar when the SD notification pops up.

3. Click on the notification and select Mount.

4. Open the SD Card fonder on your computer.

5. Copy the Custom ROM from your computer to your SD Card, do NOT change it, extract the files or put it in any folders

6. Unplug your phone and turn it off.

7. Turn the phone on by holding down Home and Power till you get to the custom recovery screen.

8. Select Wipe from the menu, then select:

Wipe data/factory Reset
    Wipe Dalvik-cache
    Wipe SD:ext partition
    Press back button
    Select the file
    Click Confirm

N.B. Ignore any "errors", they are normal and usually mean you're not using that feature.

9. Once it is done, select Reboot and you will boot into the OS. Once you are loaded in make sure you format your SD card once more through the settings menu and then reboot the phone one last time. This will ensure you get the correct apps.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=3][U]III. Updating your Radio[/U][/SIZE]

[B]N.B. People have been reporting problems with this part of the guide, try it at your own risk. It is not required to be on the latest radio when using a Custom ROM, however it is usually recommended! The radio deals with your signal levels, I found it to increase my signal from a maximum of 2 bars to full. It is likely to help if you travel, but if you are happy with your signal and tend to stay in the same place it may not be worth it.

Be aware that if this doesn't work it can potentially brick you phone... though I've had no reports of that so far. Just people finding it doing different things after it flashes.[/B]

1. Download the latest radio from the following site:
    At time of writing that is: [URL="http://www.villainrom.co.uk/radio/Radio_Signed_HERO_63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.14.zip"]63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.14[/URL]
    [B]N.B. Radio's are not region specific![/B]

2. Mount your SD Card so your computer can read it and place the downloaded file in the main directory

3. Turn off your phone and boot into the recovery screen (holding Home + Power)

4. Choose:
    Flash Zip from SD Card
    Click Confirm
    Reboot system now when prompted

N.B. This can take anywhere between 1 - 10 minutes or maybe even longer in some cases. Do not touch your phone until you either: get back to the recovery screen or your custom rom loads and you see the unlock screen.

DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY OUT, THIS WILL BRICK YOUR HANDSET.

5. When this process has completed reboot the phone and you should have the new radio. This can be checked in Settings > About Phone > Software Information > Baseband Version[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][U][SIZE=3]Check A2SD[/SIZE][/U]

Please assume it is automatically working unless you can load applications without your SD card inserted. However, here is the process for those who are pedantic about these things. Many thanks to VillainROM Wiki for this process.

1. Download check.zip from the bottom of this guide.

2. Extract check.sh

3. Download GScript Lite from the market

4. Place check.sh on your SD card in a folder named gscript

5. Open GScript and press:
    Menu
    Add Script
    Uncheck "needs su"
    Load File
    Select check.su
    Save

6. Then click check from the main screen and you will get a readout of whether it is enabled or not.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=3][U][B]"GoldCard" Test Procedure[/B][/U][/SIZE]

Please comment on whether this procedure works, it is untested. Thanks to [URL="http://www.villainrom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1735"]ante0's guide[/URL] for some details used.

[SIZE=3][U]I. Setting up drivers etc[/U][/SIZE]

1. Download the latest HTC Sync from [URL="http://www.htc.com/www/SupportViewNews.aspx?dl_id=933&news_id=631"]here[/URL] and the latest SDK from [URL="http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html"]here[/URL]

2. Install HTC Sync & extract the Android SDK .zip file to C:\ (may help to re-name the folder to a shorter name, in this tutorial it will be C:\android\ )

3. Click on your Windows Start menu and right click on "Computer" > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables

Find "Path" under "System Variables" and edit it. Add the following to the end of the text:
    ;C:\android\tools

4. Restart your computer.
    On your phone, click Settings > Applications > Development and make sure USB Debugging is on.

When back at your desktop plug then phone in and wait for it to install the correct drivers, this should be done automatically on the latest version of HTC Sync and adb should be enabled.

5. Type the following into the command prompt window (Start > Search  > "cmd") and enter the following and press enter:

adb devices

You should see a serial number pop up and look like:
    000000000000    device
    It’s the serial number of your phone. This means the drivers are working in normal boot mode. Next we need to check them in fastboot mode (thanks to janhol for helping with this next part)

6. Turn off your phone and load into fastboot by holding the Back button and pressing Power with the hero plugged into the computer

7. "Start" > Right Click "Computer" > "Manage" > "Device Manager"

8. Check that the "ADB Interface" reads "My Hero", not "Android bootloader drivers" or anything else.

If it does then:
    Right click "Android bootloader drivers" > "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my computer..." > "Let me pick from..." > "Have Disk..." > "Browse" > "C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Win7_x64" > "androidusb.inf"

Once selected click "OK".

"My HTC" should show in the list of "compatible hardware" now, so select that and click "Next" to install the driver. Switch off the phone (may have to pull the battery).

[SIZE=3][U]II. Create a “GoldCard” from a MicroSD Card[/U][/SIZE]

(Please keep in mind that some memory cards don’t work for this process)

1. Put the memory card you want to use for the GoldCard into your phone, make sure all the data is backed up before proceeding as it will be formatted.

2. With the memory card in your phone, and not connected to the PC, click on:
    Settings > SD and Phone storage > Unmount SD Card

Once it unmounts, click Format SD Card.

3. On your phone, click:

Settings > Applications > Development and make sure USB Debugging is on.

4. Return to the Command Prompt from earlier after re-plugging in your Hero. Then type the following with hitting enter at the end of each line:

adb shell
    cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid

5. A code will display, write the code down into a notepad document or similar (MAKE SURE TO WRITE IT DOWN EXACTLY!)

6. Go to this site:  [URL]http://hexrev.soaa.me/[/URL]  then put in your code you just wrote down into the text box and click submit. It will generate the code reversed and replace the first two digits with zeros automatically. Copy this.

7. Then go to [URL]http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard[/URL] and Paste your CID into the box and fill in the other details. You'll be e-mailed the goldcard. Save the goldcard image to disk.

8. Now go to  [URL]http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Editor/3000-2352-10891068.html?part=dl-HxDHexEdi&subj=uo&tag=button[/URL]  to download the HxD Hex Editor. Install it to your computer.

9. Mount your SD card on your phone so that it shows up on your computer as "Removable Disk" - Pull down the notification bar on the phone and select Mount CD Card.

10. Open the Hex Editor (Run as Administrator if you're in Vista or Windows 7) and click on the Extra menu > Open Disk. Under "Physical Disk" select "Removable Disk". Make sure to UNcheck “Open as ReadOnly”. Click OK. 

11. Go to the Extra menu again and click Open Disk Image. Open up the goldcard.img that you saved from your email. Press OK when prompted for Sector Size 512 (Hard Disks/Floppy Disks). You should now have two tabs, one is the SD card (Removable Disk) and the other is the goldcard.img. 

12. Click on the Goldcard.img tab and press Ctrl + A (select all) Then Ctrl + C (copy).

13. Click on the Removable Disk tab (Your SD Card) and select the complete lines from 00000000 to 00000170 then press Ctrl + V (paste).

14. Click on File then click Save.

15. Close the Hex Editor.

16. Reboot the phone.

Try to open the memory card on the computer (i.e. mount the drive), if it lets you, you are all set. If it asks/tells you to reformat the card, then try steps 13 – 19 again. If it gives you the same error again, then try a different memory card. You can confirm that it has worked by opening the Removable Disk in the hex editor again and making sure the code you pasted in has stayed but this shouldn't be necessary.

[SIZE=3][U]III. Downgrade the Hero using the Goldcard[/U][/SIZE]

1. With your phone plugged in, pull down the notification bar on the phone and select HTC Sync. Make sure it connects to HTC Sync on the computer (not sure if this is necessary anymore).

2. Download this generic HTC Hero RUU

Hero RUU - 
    [URL="http://x7.to/6jexri"]2.73.405.5[/URL]
    [URL="ftp://xda:xda@ftp.xda-developers.com/Hero/Official-ROMs/RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe"]2.73.405.5[/URL] (alternative)

3. Double click the RUU exe you downloaded while the phone is plugged in with the GoldCard in it and follow the on screen procedure. This will install the old generic Hero rom on your phone, this is to allow you to install a recovery image. Reboot and fill in as few details as possible as these will be overwritten soon.

4. Now you have finished this procedure start from the beginning again.[/COLOR]

Other Guides:
    [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=669754"]How to Backup your Phone Between Wipes[/URL]

Even older process - ignore
    [COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=3][U][B]Old "GoldCard" Procedure[/B][/U][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][U]I. Setting up the SDK[/U][/SIZE]

1. Download the Latest Android SDK from Google

Android SDK -  [URL]http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html[/URL] 
    (currently - android-sdk_r06-windows.zip) but get the latest

2. Extract the Android SDK .Zip file to C:\ (may help to re-name the folder to a shorter name, in this tutorial it will be C:\android\ )

3. Run SDK Setup.exe

4. Click "Settings" and check the "Force  [URL]https://.[/URL].. sources ..." option

5. Click "Available Packages" and download the "USB Driver Package"

6. On your phone, click Settings > Applications > Development and make sure USB Debugging is on.

7. Plug your phone into your computer via USB cable.

8. Go into device manager: Start --> Search for "device manager"

9. Here we are checking the driver which is installed for your Hero, you may see either of the following scenarios:

Other Devices > ADB
    or
    Android Phone > My HTC

Either way you should do the following:
    Right Click > Update Driver > Browse > C:\android\usb_driver > Next and it should install "Android Composite ADB Interface"

10. Type the following into the command prompt window (Start > Search  > "cmd") and enter the following hitting enter at the end of every line:

cd c:\android\tools\
    adb devices

You should see a serial number pop up, it’s the serial number of your phone. This means you are all set.

If you do NOT see a serial number, then we need to reinstall the drivers.....
    end cut off due to size limits
    Hi

I have a Hero and am trying to upgrade the rom (from either villian 3.2 or 4 beta, sorry cannot remember which) for a second time. The problem I have is that I can only start the phone when a partitioned rom is present.

This means that when I try and make a gold card the phone hangs whilst booting, yet when I take a partitioned card and copy the stuff in the hexi editor the phone says the card is faulty.

How can I work around this please?

I am finding it very frustrating as I did not have a problem last time as I was not troubled with partitioned cards

Thanks

You already have a Villain ROM installed, is that correct? So you should already have a custom recovery installed too?

Turn off your phone, hold HOME + POWER to get onto the recovery console,... what writing does it have at the bottom? If its v 1. 6. 2 then your all set to go, if not, I'd update the recovery 1st. Follow BTDAG's guide in my signature for instructions.
    -------------------------------------
    Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App
    This means that the recovery image didn't install properly. You have two options, start from 1. Installing a Recovery Image and try again (look out for error messages).

Alternatively you could download "ROM Manager" from the market and install "ClockworkMod Recovery" using that. Though this may mean certain parts of the "2. Loading the Custom ROM" guide are slightly different.
    Yes it is. See 1st post, REF | GUIDES in this thread
    @Dark Emotion

I'm pretty sure you just have to run the right .exe file on your PC:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=559622