FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to make a nandroid backup directly to your computer without using sdcard

1,761 posts
Thanks Meter: 947

By scandiun, XDA Ad-Free Senior Member on 6th August 2012, 05:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd January 2015, 07:12 AM |#111  
Flag Winterthur
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDiSa

With full restore I mean a restore to a wiped / clean phone. In that case there is no counterpart on you you can execute the commands needed to restore your backup. As I already wrote: as soon as you have installed a recovery you are able to restore the rest, but not before.

Ah, okay, but that's an unusual strict definition. Not even on normal PCs or in Enterprise, you'd define it like that. But thanks a lot for the clarification

23rd January 2015, 11:14 AM |#112  
Flag Heidelberg
Thanks Meter: 3,668

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs77

Ah, okay, but that's an unusual strict definition. Not even on normal PCs or in Enterprise, you'd define it like that. But thanks a lot for the clarification

No, it's not because using fastboot or odin you are able to flash even a wiped phone.
23rd January 2015, 12:24 PM |#113  
Flag Winterthur
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

No, it's not because using fastboot or odin you are able to flash even a wiped phone.

Depends…

It's really not at all uncommon, that some preparations have to be done, to be able to perform a restore. And nobody would say, that it is impossible to do full restore with NetBackup, just because the backup was done with NetBackup and thus NBU needs to be around.

I'm just saying, that your statement "You will not be able to do a full restore" is wrong. It is very much possible to do a full restore.
28th January 2015, 12:28 PM |#114  
Thanks Meter: 265

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

Thank you very much for the informations!!
I am able with these informations (and a few others to create a recovery linux environment) to fully restore all Informations of a Galaxy S2 with completly broken glass.
7th April 2015, 05:52 PM |#115  
somewhere over the rainbow
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs77

I'm just saying, that your statement "You will not be able to do a full restore" is wrong. It is very much possible to do a full restore.

i'm just curious if this really works as i understood (and also seems quite logical) that one can't write data to a mounted partition or at least to a mounted partition that is in use (by e.g. executing some program). so if i recall correctly the boot-partition that provides some form of recovery environment (e.g. busybox) is part of /dev/block/mmcblk0 and therefore would also be overwritten, right?

i could imagine this may work in quite some cases as once busybox runs nc and dd all thats needed is loaded into the devices memory but i'm not sure i'd rely on this always working successfully.

therefore restoring single partitions sounds much safer to me but i'm happy to hear about differing experiences.

if i understood correctly, alexs77 had success with this, right alex?

cheers, red
15th April 2015, 08:43 PM |#116  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Are there any documented cases where a device has been bricked (at the software/firmware level), and unrecoverable, even with a full memory block backup?
15th April 2015, 08:53 PM |#117  
Flag Heidelberg
Thanks Meter: 3,668

More
Depends on the partition you write to, but e.g. writing invalid data to the bootloader for sure will brick your device.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndDiSa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndDiSa Ad-Free
15th April 2015, 08:53 PM |#118  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up
Quote:

Depends on the partition you write to, but e.g. writing invalid data to the bootloader for sure will brick your device.

Is the bootloader not backed up as well with the method described in the OP?

Edit: Full backup seems to have worked perfectly, although do note that the latest cygwin does not have a 'netcat' package - you'll need the 'nc' package. All execution steps are otherwise identical.
16th April 2015, 05:33 PM |#119  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
I want to know this:
1. is there a chance to emulate a folder in PC (running Windows or Ubuntu, doesn't matter) as an OTG USB storage? Ie. computer folder will look to TWRP as connected flash stick so it can do full phone backup to it (directed from recovery)
2. What else partitions do I need to backup to fully restore previous phone state except system and data
3. Is there a PC software that could fully backup/restore phone via adb in a snap?
17th April 2015, 01:07 AM |#120  
Flag Tickfaw
Thanks Meter: 6,235

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflmpsvz

I want to know this:
1. is there a chance to emulate a folder in PC (running Windows or Ubuntu, doesn't matter) as an OTG USB storage? Ie. computer folder will look to TWRP as connected flash stick so it can do full phone backup to it (directed from recovery)
2. What else partitions do I need to backup to fully restore previous phone state except system and data
3. Is there a PC software that could fully backup/restore phone via adb in a snap?

Just tryed backup takes about a hour or more (my backup was 36 GB)

adb backup -apk -shared -all -f C:\adb_Backup\backup4162015.ab running Lollipop and it backed up to C:\adb_backup so this works, you have to have USB debug turned on in developer options in settings, if you have no developer's options, the go to about screen and press 7 times on your build number to turn it on, watch your screen to give your PC permission

you can unpack the adb backup like this with Linux or with windows Using CYGWIN (I used CYGWIN) make a folder in your home folder, cd to folder then run these comands (if you want to unpack to see files or make a custom recovery install) Unpacking to a tar takes a hour or more so leave screens alone (curser will be flashing, after about 10-15 minutes you'll see file growing)

dd if=backup4162015.ab bs=24 skip=1 | openssl zlib -d > mybackup.tar

then

tar -xvf mybackup.tar

Look here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-root-t1420351

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...34&postcount=6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adb backup unpackCapture.PNG
Views:	158
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	3266556   Click image for larger version

Name:	adb backup unpackCapture2.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	3266557  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carl1961 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift carl1961 Ad-Free
17th April 2015, 01:44 PM |#121  
somewhere over the rainbow
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokemonkey11

... Full backup seems to have worked perfectly ...

just to get everything right, your backup has worked perfectly, have you tried (full) restore as well?
i'm still wondering if alexs77 or anybody else has successfully done a full restore with the described method (and on what device).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokemonkey11

Is the bootloader not backed up as well with the method described in the OP?

i believe so, but what AndDiSa to my understanding refers to is that one could potentionally brick a device by restoring the wrong partition or with a wrong offset into the partition holding the bootloader.
pls correct me if i'm wrong...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redchili For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redchili Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cygwin, nandroid, onenand, parted

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)