[GUIDE] OnePlus One - How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root

Search This thread

spider009

Mar 30, 2015
Issue With TWRP !!!

So i just unlocked Bootloader and flashed TWRP as you said but its still loading the Cyanogen Recovery For me No TWRP !! what is the Problem BTW i have updated my Device Manually to CM 12.0 and then tried to root my device :confused:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro

zulu657

Jun 8, 2012
I am having a device driver issue. This is my second OPO-no problem unlocking and rooting the first one but this one is giving me fits.

If I plug the phone into the computer just on as normal, it is recognized. When in fastboot mode, not recognized. I have removed, re-installed the driver, rebooted the computer several times. Tried another cable, another USB port, no difference.

Phone is not rooted or unlocked & is supposed to be stock. I did enable Developer Options and Android Debugging. The phone does have Calkulins ROM v2.1 with Android 4.4.4_r2 which I don't recall the other phone having.

Full Disclosure--I did post the question in the Q&A noob thread without much help there. Not new to this as I have done other phones and I read much more than I post.

Thanks in advance for any help.

hank_clifton

Apr 29, 2015
sorry for the newb question.... but i will be getting a new OnePlus One 64gb next week. Before moving all my previous stuff from an old rooted Galaxy S3 with Titanium bakcup, i was to unlock the OnePlus One's bootloader, install TWRP, and root it. I know that installing TWRP will erase everything on the device, but since it's new it shouldn't be an issue right?

I just do all 3 - bootloader, twrp, and root - and the device will reboot into whatever factory OS came with the device ?? or will I need to do another step?

thx!

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
sorry for the newb question.... but i will be getting a new OnePlus One 64gb next week. Before moving all my previous stuff from an old rooted Galaxy S3 with Titanium bakcup, i was to unlock the OnePlus One's bootloader, install TWRP, and root it. I know that installing TWRP will erase everything on the device, but since it's new it shouldn't be an issue right?

I just do all 3 - bootloader, twrp, and root - and the device will reboot into whatever factory OS came with the device ?? or will I need to do another step?

thx!

Installing TWRP doesn't wipe anything at all. Unlocking the bootloader wipes all user data and that's it. After unlocking, installing TWRP, and rooting, the device will boot up into the stock ROM like right out of the factory.

Transmitted via Bacon

Reactions: hank_clifton

hank_clifton

Apr 29, 2015
Installing TWRP doesn't wipe anything at all. Unlocking the bootloader wipes all user data and that's it. After unlocking, installing TWRP, and rooting, the device will boot up into the stock ROM like right out of the factory.

Transmitted via Bacon

thanks for the speedy reply. and awesome! that was what i was hoping for. Before I throw in the SIM card and permanently move over to the OnePlus One i wanted to unlock boorloader, install twrp, and root. Will def need it rooted so my backups from Titanium Backup from my old phone will move smoothly into the new phone saving all my previous settings/files/games etc etc

zer0lab.dev

Jan 10, 2015
goo.gl
I am having a device driver issue. This is my second OPO-no problem unlocking and rooting the first one but this one is giving me fits.

If I plug the phone into the computer just on as normal, it is recognized. When in fastboot mode, not recognized. I have removed, re-installed the driver, rebooted the computer several times. Tried another cable, another USB port, no difference.

Phone is not rooted or unlocked & is supposed to be stock. I did enable Developer Options and Android Debugging. The phone does have Calkulins ROM v2.1 with Android 4.4.4_r2 which I don't recall the other phone having.

Full Disclosure--I did post the question in the Q&A noob thread without much help there. Not new to this as I have done other phones and I read much more than I post.

Thanks in advance for any help.

don't know if you solved, but the issue you report is quite common when playing with different devices and driver on PC.
Please follow steps illustrated here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2480396
It's a zip file with inside a sequence of images showing you exactly what to do. Please note that you have to start from device on fastboot mode and connected to your PC. Then open Winzozz Computer Manager from Control Panel and follow the files guide.. ;)

EDIT: you don't have the stock ROM on your One, so I'm pretty sure it is already unlocked and rooted.. ;)

nukes777

Apr 16, 2009
the minimal sdk link on step one when downloaded is not .zip it is androidsdkslim.zip.exe and kaspersky reports as a trojan.

o0otnto0o

May 3, 2015

I also updated my device manually to the CM 12 and lost my root so I tried to install superSU from the teamtwin recovery but it didn't work, it install successfully but still not rooted when I get into the OS.

5/5/2015 Update: I reinstalled the rom image through TWRP after wiping cache, and now I have my device rooted again.

Last edited:

Siddarth Malik

Jul 14, 2012
OTA update to oxygen OS ..with unchecked update cm recovery ?problem?

Hey.. Yesterday, I updated my OPO to Oxygen OS through the OTA update..Before the update, I unchecked the 'update CM recovery' in developer options (as I was planning to root and install TWRP)
So, now I have OTA updated Oxygen OS without Root.. What kind of issues will I face now that the recovery has not been updated along with the oxygen OS.. I was thinking of factory resetting my OPO from inside the settings menu to get back to CM11S and then OTA updating again...will factory resetting revert me to CM11S from oxygen OS....? There are a lotta questions in this comment..pls answer all yhxx :)

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hey.. Yesterday, I updated my OPO to Oxygen OS through the OTA update..Before the update, I unchecked the 'update CM recovery' in developer options (as I was planning to root and install TWRP)
So, now I have OTA updated Oxygen OS without Root.. What kind of issues will I face now that the recovery has not been updated along with the oxygen OS.. I was thinking of factory resetting my OPO from inside the settings menu to get back to CM11S and then OTA updating again...will factory resetting revert me to CM11S from oxygen OS....? There are a lotta questions in this comment..pls answer all yhxx :)
What do you mean you updated to Oxygen by OTA? By using the built in update feature in Settings/About Phone/Update? That isn't possible as far as I know. Anyway, you shouldn't face any issues with the recovery not being updated. Factory resetting will not return you to CM11S, a factory reset doesn't touch the system at all, it just erases user data from the device. It doesn't matter anyway, if you really want the recovery just extract it from the Oxygen zip.

Reactions: Siddarth Malik

Siddarth Malik

Jul 14, 2012
What do you mean you updated to Oxygen by OTA? By using the built in update feature in Settings/About Phone/Update? That isn't possible as far as I know. Anyway, you shouldn't face any issues with the recovery not being updated. Factory resetting will not return you to CM11S, a factory reset doesn't touch the system at all, it just erases user data from the device. It doesn't matter anyway, if you really want the recovery just extract it from the Oxygen zip.
thnks for your reply :)
Now it is possible... OPO has started receiving the Oxygen OS through OTA...yes the built in update feature in settings/about phone/update :)
although, I have had the galaxy s2, galaxy note, tab8.9 p7300 and have all of them rooted..i keep trying out new ROMS every other day/.. but since this is my first time with OPO..I need to know certain things
I do not want the recovery..without root recovery is of no practical use... and if I root it I will install TWRP latest2.8.6
also, the recovery in oxygen OS is some form of twrp which has some prob in flashing all of the baseband files..(mentioned by steve kondik in one of his posts on g+)
I just wanted to know that since now Have the cm11s recovery only..when I root OPO after unlocking bootloader..will I face any problems..?
is there any benefits to an updated recovery on a non-rooted phone>??? and for rooting do I have to worry about original recovery at all? because anyway I'm going to replace it with twrp..?

We have never had to unlock the bootloader with samsung devices.. but with nexus and OPO, we have to...so to root it now... I just unlock bootloader install twrp and flash supersu2.46? or I flash the cm version of supersu mentioned here (http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-root-oneplus-one-on-cm12s-lollipop-update-76392/)?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
thnks for your reply :)
Now it is possible... OPO has started receiving the Oxygen OS through OTA...yes the built in update feature in settings/about phone/update :)
although, I have had the galaxy s2, galaxy note, tab8.9 p7300 and have all of them rooted..i keep trying out new ROMS every other day/.. but since this is my first time with OPO..I need to know certain things
I do not want the recovery..without root recovery is of no practical use... and if I root it I will install TWRP latest2.8.6
also, the recovery in oxygen OS is some form of twrp which has some prob in flashing all of the baseband files..(mentioned by steve kondik in one of his posts on g+)
I just wanted to know that since now Have the cm11s recovery only..when I root OPO after unlocking bootloader..will I face any problems..?
is there any benefits to an updated recovery on a non-rooted phone>??? and for rooting do I have to worry about original recovery at all? because anyway I'm going to replace it with twrp..?

We have never had to unlock the bootloader with samsung devices.. but with nexus and OPO, we have to...so to root it now... I just unlock bootloader install twrp and flash supersu2.46? or I flash the cm version of supersu mentioned here (http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-root-oneplus-one-on-cm12s-lollipop-update-76392/)?
Just unlock your bootloader, flash TWRP, and flash SuperSU, and you're done. Don't worry about messing with any stock recovery. You won't face any problems when you root after unlocking the bootloader because you'll already have TWRP installed. Process goes like this: unlock bootloader > flash TWRP > flash SuperSU via TWRP to get root.

About Samsung phones, it isn't that you don't need to unlock the bootloader, it's that you're unable to because they're so ridiculously locked down. Unlocking the bootloader is standard procedure in world of modding Android.

Siddarth Malik

Jul 14, 2012
Just unlock your bootloader, flash TWRP, and flash SuperSU, and you're done. Don't worry about messing with any stock recovery. You won't face any problems when you root after unlocking the bootloader because you'll already have TWRP installed. Process goes like this: unlock bootloader > flash TWRP > flash SuperSU via TWRP to get root.

About Samsung phones, it isn't that you don't need to unlock the bootloader, it's that you're unable to because they're so ridiculously locked down. Unlocking the bootloader is standard procedure in world of modding Android.
Thank you so much :)
just one more thing.. do we get updates t recovery on every system update, even in incremental update, or in huge system updates like this one '(oxygen os sized 500 odd mb)will we I get my stock recovery updated in the 5.1 ota update? (if I remain unrooted till then)
Since, I'm just beginning to explore ROMs for bacon..Could you advise me on the ROM of your choice..and/or kernel...
I see that u're using euphoria OS... how good is it..
how do u find oxygen OS compared to other ROMs here on xda.. I felt cm12s was better than oxygen..
I initially thought about rooting oxygen os and waiting for future ota updates..I regret updating to oxygen from cm12s
what wd u suggest, as a fellow bacon user..and a quite experienced one at that

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thank you so much :)
just one more thing.. do we get updates t recovery on every system update, even in incremental update, or in huge system updates like this one '(oxygen os sized 500 odd mb)will we I get my stock recovery updated in the 5.1 ota update? (if I remain unrooted till then)
Since, I'm just beginning to explore ROMs for bacon..Could you advise me on the ROM of your choice..and/or kernel...
I see that u're using euphoria OS... how good is it..
how do u find oxygen OS compared to other ROMs here on xda.. I felt cm12s was better than oxygen..
I initially thought about rooting oxygen os and waiting for future ota updates..I regret updating to oxygen from cm12s
what wd u suggest, as a fellow bacon user..and a quite experienced one at that
Yes, every update usually updates the recovery regardless of the size/importance of the update itself. Euphoria is very good, I'm currently issuing that and the Boeffla kernel. But there are many great ROMs and kernels for this phone. Honestly, about Oxygen, it lasted about ten minutes on my phone. It seemed fairly solid but it doesn't have anywhere near the level of customisation that I like. I can only really suggest you try out some ROMs and see which one you like the most.

Siddarth Malik

Jul 14, 2012
Yes, every update usually updates the recovery regardless of the size/importance of the update itself. Euphoria is very good, I'm currently issuing that and the Boeffla kernel. But there are many great ROMs and kernels for this phone. Honestly, about Oxygen, it lasted about ten minutes on my phone. It seemed fairly solid but it doesn't have anywhere near the level of customisation that I like. I can only really suggest you try out some ROMs and see which one you like the most.
yeah I've heard boeffla kernel has been performing good...I'm truly thankful for your help and enjoyed this conversation..
just one last thing...
I'm thinking of keeping oxygen os, for now, to see how it goes.. sorry to ask again, but I need to confirm :)
I shouldn't worry about the un-updated recovery on my phone?
will the recovery update on the next OTA update?? (I will check the update recovery setting)
Even with the un-updated recovery, I would not face any problems in using (I'm more or less sure) or Rooting(when I decide to)??
am I correct in assuming that even though I have the un-updated recovery, it should not matter because when I root, I anyways will replace it with TWRP latest??
asking this because I want to make sure that recovery does not affect anything else apart from itself...I mean there is nothing related to the firmware or bootloader ?? so no problems with rooting or anything I do subsequently
All these questions are only helping me learn more about recovery, root etc
thanks in advance

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
yeah I've heard boeffla kernel has been performing good...I'm truly thankful for your help and enjoyed this conversation..
just one last thing...
I'm thinking of keeping oxygen os, for now, to see how it goes.. sorry to ask again, but I need to confirm :)
I shouldn't worry about the un-updated recovery on my phone?
will the recovery update on the next OTA update?? (I will check the update recovery setting)
Even with the un-updated recovery, I would not face any problems in using (I'm more or less sure) or Rooting(when I decide to)??
am I correct in assuming that even though I have the un-updated recovery, it should not matter because when I root, I anyways will replace it with TWRP latest??
asking this because I want to make sure that recovery does not affect anything else apart from itself...I mean there is nothing related to the firmware or bootloader ?? so no problems with rooting or anything I do subsequently
All these questions are only helping me learn more about recovery, root etc
thanks in advance
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. The non-updated recovery will not affect anything but itself. It will be updated during the next OTA. You'll have no problems with root, because you will overwrite the current recovery with TWRP to obtain root. To reiterate, you have exactly zero to worry about in regards to your recovery.

spencerchong

Dec 21, 2014
i'm on stock CM12S. why is it after I flashed TWRP, i cannot boot into TWRP? Still getting the cyanoen recovery

o0otnto0o

May 3, 2015

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    KFIFrYV.png

Setup, Preparation and Prerequisites

I know there are already a few root guides out there for this phone, but I found that they weren't very detailed. This guide is thorough and explains each and every step in a noob-proof manner.

Basic tasks that I may refer to throughout this guide:
    • Open command prompt - Press Window Key + R, type in "cmd" (without the quotes), and hit enter.
    • Enter fastboot mode- Turn the phone off. Hold volume up + power until the "fastboot" screen appears.

ADB and Fastboot Installation
    1. Download the full Android SDK here (scroll to the bottom of the page>DOWNLOAD FOR OTHER PLATFORMS>SDK Tools Only) or get a slimmed version containing only the essential components here
    2. Extract the zip and place the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
      **If you chose to download the slimmed sdk skip to step 5**
    3. Only if you downloaded the full sdk: Go into the android-sdk-windows folder and run SDK Manager.exe. Install the following packages (there are a total of 4 packages):
      - Tools > Android SDK Tools, Android SDK Platform-tools
      - Extras > Android Support Library, Google USB Driver

4. Only if you downloaded the full sdk: Go back into the android-sdk-windows directory, and you should see a new folder named platform-tools. If you don't see this new folder, repeat the step above.
    5. To confirm that it is indeed working, open a command prompt window and enter the following commands:
      Code:
      cd Desktop/android-sdk-windows/platform-tools
      adb version
      If it displays "Android Debug Bridge version x.x.xx" it is working. If it is gives an error saying that adb is not a recognized command, it has not been successful. Carefully repeat the steps above if this is the case. Close the command prompt window when you are done.
    • Show File Extensions - Open a command prompt window and run "Control folders" (without the quotes). Go to the View tab and uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option. This will help avoid confusion when renaming files.
    • Battery - Ensure that your phone has at least 60% battery remaining, and that your PC is plugged in and wont shut down spontaneously during the process. The procedure doesn't take very long (5-15 minutes), but its best to have enough charge in case something goes wrong.
    • Backup (Optional) - Unlocking the bootloader will completely wipe all data from the device. This includes apps, settings and even the contents of the internal sdcard (pictures, music, etc.). Copy all important files off the phone onto a PC or upload them to a cloud.
    • Driver Installation - Download and install the Universal ADB Driver. Alternatively, use this method.

Downloads
    Download a custom recovery and the SuperSU zip below. Place both files (recovery image and root zip) in the platform-tools folder located on your desktop within the android-sdk-windows folder.

Custom Recovery:
    TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP)

Root:
    SuperSU

Information
    Rooting this device is actually quite a simple and easy process. Before you begin, it is recommended that you at least try to understand what each part of the process will do. Although this guide will elongate each step in order to show all of the details, the method used can be broken up into 3 main steps: Unlocking the Bootloader, Installing a Custom Recovery and finally Rooting. Each new step relies on the previous step to have been completed, and a basic summary of each part is:

1. Unlocking Bootloader: Opens the door to the internal memory of the device to be written on to. This allows you to flash images onto the main partitions of the phone.
    2. Installing a Custom Recovery: A custom recovery is flashed onto the recovery partition of the device and overwrites the stock recovery that exists by default. Custom recoveries bring lots of functionality and give you the ability to perform wipes, install flashable zips, create full backups of your NAND (Nandroid backup), and various other features. An unlocked bootloader is needed to install a custom recovery.
    3. Rooting: You can gain root by either flashing via recovery a pre-rooted custom rom, or flashing a zip containing the SuperSU binaries. A custom recovery is necessary to do this.

After completing these steps your phone will be rooted, the phone will have a custom recovery installed, and the phones bootloader will be unlocked. This, in my opinion, is the most practical and beneficial method for rooting your phone. It gives you some basic adb/fastboot knowledge, and should hopefully help you have a decent understanding of what is going on. Also this method will work regardless of what android version your phone has.

If you are confused by anything in this guide, I would highly suggest getting it clarified being before moving on. Ask your question in this thread and I or someone else will likely answer. Also I'd suggest that you read over the whole thread a few times before actually doing anything to the phone.

Understand? Good...lets begin:

1. Unlocking Bootloader
    • Turn the phone off. Then boot it into fastboot mode by holding volume up + power. The phone will display "fastboot" text indicating that it has successfully entered fastboot mode.

• Plug the phone into your PC, then open a command prompt window and type:
      Code:
      Code:
      fastboot devices
      This command will list the connected devices. If your phones serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.

• If the phone has been recognized by the command above, proceed to unlocking the bootloader with the following command:
      Remember that this step will wipe EVERYTHING off the phone
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock

• After the above command has finished excuting, run the following
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
      The phone will reboot. Wait until the phone has fully booted up into android, then adjust the following settings on the phone:

• USB Debugging - On your phone go to Settings > About phone > Tap on Build number 7 times. This will enable Developer options. Now go back to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging
    • Disable CM Recovery Protection - On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then disable the 'Update recovery with system updates' option.

• Close the command prompt window and proceed onto the next section of the guide.

2. Installing a Custom Recovery
    • Turn the phone off. Then boot it into fastboot mode by holding volume up + power.

• Rename the recovery file that you downloaded above to recovery.img. *Make sure that you rename it to recovery.img NOT recovery.img.img* Remember that this file should be placed in the platform-tools folder inside of the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.

• Open a new command prompt and run the following commands:
      Code:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

• Once the flash has completed type the following command to reboot the phone:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
      After the phone has booted back up, turn it off. Now to enter your newly installed custom recovery, hold volume down + power. The phone should boot into recovery mode. Now that you have a custom recovery, you may continue to the final step.
    • Close the command prompt window.

3. Rooting
    Now that your phone has an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed you have a two options to gain root (Pick one or the other. You don't need to do both)

Option A) Flash SuperSU binaries which will give you root with the stock ROM
    • Confirm that you have downloaded the SuperSU zip from the downloads section above and that it is located in the platform-tools folder inside of the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
    • Turn the phone off then boot into recovery mode by holding volume down + power. Leave the phone at the main screen of the custom recovery for now.
    • Open a command prompt window and run the following commands:
      Code:
      Code:
      adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-v[COLOR="Red"]X[/COLOR].[COLOR="red"]XX[/COLOR].zip /sdcard/
      This will copy the SuperSU zip onto your phone. Once the command has completed continue.

Instructions for TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP):
    • Install > browse to SuperSU zip and select the it
    • Swipe to confirm the installation. Then reboot.

Instructions for ClockworkMod (CWM):
    • install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard.
    • Next, browse to the location where you previously copied the SuperSU zip and select the it.
    • To confirm the installation, scroll down to "Yes" and select it. The installation shouldn't take very long, and once it has completed you may reboot.

Option B) Flash a custom rom which will come pre-rooted
    • Note that not all custom roms will be pre rooted, however the majority of them are. Read the OP of the ROM thread to see what the verdict is.
    • Copy a custom rom (you can find these in the ONE Android Development and ONE Original Android Development section) onto the phone (remember the location of where you copy it to)
    • Turn the phone off then boot into recovery mode by holding volume down + power. To install a custom ROM the general procedure to follow is: factory reset, wipe cache + dalvik cache, flash ROM, flash GApps. Here are the recovery specific instructions:

Instructions for TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP):
    • Wipe > Swipe to Factory Reset
    • Install > browse to the location where you previously copied the ROM zip and select it > Swipe to confirm the installation
    • Install GApps using same process as ROM, then reboot.

Instructions for ClockworkMod (CWM):
    • wipe data/factory reset
    • wipe cache partition
    • advanced > wipe dalvik cache
    • install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > navigate to the location of the ROM > select the ROM > confirm the installation by selecting "Yes"
    • After that you may install the GApps using the same method for flashing the ROM, and finally reboot the phone.

Keep in mind that the first boot after installing a custom ROM & wiping the phone may take longer than usual, as the phone will need to rebuild the dalvik cache and initialize other first boot stuff.

Congrats! That is all! Your phone now has an unlocked bootloader, a custom recovery installed and is rooted. Enjoy :)
    FYI - if anyone else is having problems flashing TWRP (you flash it, commands are all OKAY, but it keeps rebooting into Cyanogenmod Simple Recovery), here's the fix.

1. Disable CyanogenMod Recovery Protection:
    Open settings > developer options. Then look for an option that says 'Update recovery with system updates' and disable it.

After doing that, REFLASH TWRP and then it will work.

I was losing my mind wondering why the dang Cyanogenmod Simple Recovery kept popping up and not TWRP and this was the reason.
    You are missing the "t" in fastboot. You wrote "fasboot", but it should be "fastboot". If that doesnt work, try adding the ./ prefix. ie: "./fastboot devices".

Man I win i Unlock Bootloader and I flash TWRP but is it normal when I restart in recovery I still have the Cyanogen Simple Recovery ?? Damn .....

EDITED !!!! FINALLY ROOTED MY ONE PLUS ONE !!!!!!! Finally read read read 18536 threads and I win ahahha
    Everything is well until I start with "ROOTING".
    It doesn't open the recovery mode with TWRP, and when I insert the "adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip /sdcard/" command, it says "Device not found"... :(

What can be wrong?

Thank you very much for all your help

First you need to get TWRP successfully installed, before you can start the rooting part. Boot up the phone normally, then go into Settings > Developer options and disable the "Update recovery with system updates" option. After that, put the phone back into fastboot mode and try the steps for Installing a Custom Recovery again.