FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][10/27] CleanROM 7.1 -★| Marshmallow! | MRA58U !| Aroma! | Clean! | Stable! |★-

28,793 posts
Thanks Meter: 66,271

By Scott, Inactive Recognized Developer on 29th July 2013, 05:08 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
24th April 2015, 02:46 PM |#6051  
Vacationing in Nanda Parbat, neck deep in Nyssa al Ghul
Flag Immersed in Dark Matter
Thanks Meter: 17,223

More
Look at my post a few up from here. What you are getting is the System OS update from Google itself and not Scott/CleanROM.

Since you are new to this, I'll explain what is happening.

Google is sending out the OTA in waves. As I said above, I have 4 tablets in my house and only 2 have gotten the notification so far. But....Since you are on a Custom ROM, the OTA will inherently fail. There are a few reasons for this which I will explain below. Being that CleanROM is based off stock and that Scott didn't delete the OTACerts.zip mentioned above, Google's servers think that this is a stock setup and is sending the OTA to you. They have no idea that you have modified anything at this point.

Here is why it is failing and when Google realizes that the device is modded:
The OTA comes in and you download it. Once you flash it, the package looks to make sure that the device's integrity has not been compromised. If you have modified the /system/build.prop, it will fail. If you have flashed a different kernel or a recovery, the package checks for this and if it comes back as altered, the flash will fail. Sometimes it even looks at the apps in /system/app and /system/priv-app and if those are altered (including deleting and inserting of apks), then the flash will fail.

Long story short, unless the device is in virginal state, the OTA flash will fail. If you want to take the OTA, you're going to have to flash the factory.imgs through fastboot and then take the OTA that way. But realistically if you are going to fastboot a factory.img, you might as well flash the newest one and skip the OTA altogether (flashing imgs is always safer than taking OTAs). I just simply long-pressed the notification and blocked it, didn't download the OTA and will patiently wait for Scott to put out a new CleanROM when he is ready. You can delete the downloaded OTA if you decide either of the two options above, but I can't remember right now where it downloads to (maybe /root/cache I think).

Hope this helps and welcome to Android.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Woody Ad-Free

24th April 2015, 02:48 PM |#6052  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
good explanation!
28th April 2015, 12:17 AM |#6053  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Fargo

Donate to Me
More
Just stopping in to say Hi. Things are going well. I should be at 100% capacity in another 3 weeks!
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Scott Ad-Free
28th April 2015, 01:11 AM |#6054  
Thanks Meter: 320

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler

Just stopping in to say Hi. Things are going well. I should be at 100% capacity in another 3 weeks!

Great to see you back, Scott.

Pain killers making a good effect
28th April 2015, 07:05 AM |#6055  
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:

Glad to see everything its going ok, get well soon
28th April 2015, 05:11 PM |#6056  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 903

More
Quote:

Great. At this rate, we will have Android 5.2 by then.
29th April 2015, 02:32 AM |#6057  
Flag Boulder, CO
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarSyl

Great. At this rate, we will have Android 5.2 by then.

Hilariously callus. Not to say I don't share the enthusiasm for a 5.1 based clean ROM...
29th April 2015, 06:18 AM |#6058  
Flag Fargo

Donate to Me
More
You all wont believe this. I went to turn on my Nexus 7 today and I just get the 5 blinking lights of death. I tried charging it for hours, holding all sorts of key combo's etc. But I cant get it to come up.

Gonna try letting it sit over night on the charger.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Scott Ad-Free
29th April 2015, 06:54 AM |#6059  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

You all wont believe this. I went to turn on my Nexus 7 today and I just get the 5 blinking lights of death. I tried charging it for hours, holding all sorts of key combo's etc. But I cant get it to come up.

never heard of this, have you overclocked it a lot? has it stayed hot for long periods of time before? does this mark the end of cleanrom development for this device?
29th April 2015, 09:34 AM |#6060  
Flag Metro Manila
Thanks Meter: 151

More
Quote:

this happened to me twice, just leave it on the charger for a few hours and it should come back to life
29th April 2015, 07:02 PM |#6061  
Flag Fargo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlycs

never heard of this, have you overclocked it a lot? has it stayed hot for long periods of time before? does this mark the end of cleanrom development for this device?

Never, never, dont know. Looking for ideas to get this thing going again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman_187

this happened to me twice, just leave it on the charger for a few hours and it should come back to life

Yeah, its been on overnight. Still nothing. I dont thing its charging.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread