[ROM][KFHD7][7.4.8] ♦ Kinology 3.3 ♦ 2014/03/12 ♦ Final

Search This thread

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
Thanks for the responses.

I wasn't concerned with the data on the tablet because I can get most of it back, so I flashed both the wipe data nobackup and the kinology-aio zip files. When the system booted up I was surprised to see my usual setup. All my data was there and everything was setup the way it had been. Then about five or ten minutes later all the google services apps started crashing (hangouts, google services, google play store, etc., etc.)..

Not sure why the flash didn't seem to do anything (at least the wipe data one didn't). I guess I'll try it again. The first time I was doing other things and wasn't watching the screen all that closely, but it did finish. Thanks for the help. I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't a hardware issue somewhere.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Does doing a full wipe (which wipes data) also wipe the files in the /sdcard directory? I have the installation zips in SDCARD/. I really don't want to lose those. Where is the best place to store those files on the tablet, so they won't be deleted during a wipe? Thanks!
If I were you, I would open TWRP, tap Wipe, go to advancxxed wipe, and check everything except for Internal Storage. This will wipe cache, system, and all data except for /sdcard. You can then go back to Install and install Kinology again.

dmullens

Dec 23, 2011
If I were you, I would open TWRP, tap Wipe, go to advancxxed wipe, and check everything except for Internal Storage. This will wipe cache, system, and all data except for /sdcard. You can then go back to Install and install Kinology again.

Just for a final update..after I did the wipe, I could only get to the Kindle Fire splash with fire in blue. After leaving it like that for quite a while, I decided to do a system restore. I had trouble with that too since I had rest my computer to factory defaults and none of the Kindle drivers would work. I was finally able to get fastboot working (I have a cable...thankfully) and after doing a restore twice, my Kindle is back to 7.3.0.

I love Kinology, but I have a feeling there might be some hardware issue going on with my Kindle...so I'll probably leave it on stock for a while. At least I have fastboot working....

Thanks for all the guidance!

rightjb

Dec 10, 2008
Houston/LA
Thank you.

I just wanted to say that my experience with Kinology has been about the BEST experience I've ever had with a custom rom. I have to move to a larger unit with LTE and will be abandoning my HD 7 - but wouldn't hesitate to buy an HDX 8.9 IF Kinology was on it. Unfortunately since I'm either stuck with an all Amazon or all all 4.4 tablet - (I'm likely chosing the Galaxy Tab 10), I'll truly miss the seamless flexibility and integration of Kin.

But both developers and the threadsters out here have been unparalleled.

thanks again.

jaxbierley

Jan 30, 2014
I just wanted to say that my experience with Kinology has been about the BEST experience I've ever had with a custom rom. I have to move to a larger unit with LTE and will be abandoning my HD 7 - but wouldn't hesitate to buy an HDX 8.9 IF Kinology was on it. Unfortunately since I'm either stuck with an all Amazon or all all 4.4 tablet - (I'm likely chosing the Galaxy Tab 10), I'll truly miss the seamless flexibility and integration of Kin.

But both developers and the threadsters out here have been unparalleled.

thanks again.

I'm currently running CM12 and was running CM11. As this is still all the way back on ICS is it at all frustrating to not be up to date with android as far as that is concerned?? While typing this I am downloading kinology anyway and will do a backup and then flash kinology just to try personally. Just wondering what makes it so amazing to you??

UPDATE: After installing it I gotta say it seems like the kindle runs smoother.. And it's nice to have the kindle carousel back.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

galearned

Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville
The (unfortunate) answer is in the OP.

Good day: I think one of the primary reasons for 7.4.9 not installing properly due to no room might be that the officesuite is installed as a system app which takes up a larger amount of space. 7.5.1 will not allow root to be installed without some work because of no space. If the office suite is removed prior/during rooting, the process works. Could be a similar issue with 7.4.9? If this is the case and office suite is removed, could Kinology them be updated for 7.4.9. or 7.5.1?
Regards

killa-mckilla

Apr 16, 2009
google services has stopped?

google services has stopped is popping up alot.

I downloaded the newest version and installed it, it didnt help

so i wiped and reflashed kinology.. didnt help

Any ideas?

escrimps

Jun 10, 2006
San Diego
I'm getting a ton of Google services has stopped errors too. Concur that re-install didn't help. Every time the error occurs it has to be acknowledged to keep using Kinology. :(

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk now Free

Interesting on my kf2 I'm getting this as well. Google apps update?

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using XDA Free mobile app
Most likely its a gapps issue, there's reports on most kindles with fire os on root. Also happening on my hdx 7" . I believe there's a temporary fix that might work for all. I'll see if I can get a link to it.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3089299

Check this thread out, last and second to last pages have a temp fix ?

Tito151

Aug 5, 2008
Is there a way to force-redo step 1? I started with the Step 1 files and then rebooting to recovery, but my Kindle hung at the blue Kindle fire screen and eventually after 5 minutes or so scrambled to a blue pattern. I've been trying to wipe and reset the system to reflash, but I can not only get the Kinology logo to show and then the screen just fades to black and hangs after a few minutes of spinning around. ADB recognizes the device, but can't connect (also hangs).
I should also mention that I've been running Kinology 3.1 for over a year, but decided to try updating/rolling back after having problems with the Google Play store crashing constantly. I see now that someone has post information on fixing this. (If only I saw that sooner).

Last edited:

Hafficci

Dec 3, 2010
Madrid
Google Play Services crashed too

Here it is another one with the 'Google Play Services' crashing over and one again (really ****ed up!!). As other buddies said before, reinstalling doesn't help at all, so I guess it must be something related to Google apps (maybe and update??).
I'll follow what you say, BuQQzz. I'll tell you back if it helps in KHD7".

Thank you so much for your help!! It's really crazy trying to do anything with the always present enervating pop-up!! :silly:

jaxbierley

Jan 30, 2014
Here it is another one with the 'Google Play Services' crashing over and one again (really ****ed up!!). As other buddies said before, reinstalling doesn't help at all, so I guess it must be something related to Google apps (maybe and update??).
I'll follow what you say, BuQQzz. I'll tell you back if it helps in KHD7".

Thank you so much for your help!! It's really crazy trying to do anything with the always present enervating pop-up!! :silly:

deleted, i dont know how to read

Last edited:

Hafficci

Dec 3, 2010
Madrid
o_O Lol!!
What is supposed to be the problem with my post?? Just saying that I have the same issue other people had before, and trying to get a fix.
Any other questions??

Thank you for your patience!!

5fdprox

Aug 5, 2013
hey all,question...so from what ive gathered ,there is no fix for the "google play service error." i keep getting?? thanks for the help Id appreciate it

chrisd87

Jul 12, 2013
hey all,question...so from what ive gathered ,there is no fix for the "google play service error." i keep getting?? thanks for the help Id appreciate it

The solution is to go to the Play Store on the device and uninstall the Google Play Services update by pressing Uninstall. This will resolve the issue. Some people have reported that simply clearing the google play services cache will fix the issue, but for me I had to uninstall the update

Reactions: 5fdprox

5fdprox

Aug 5, 2013
Ahhhh..Thanks so much,im gonna flash again but I dont remember even seeing the update after I had flashed..Ill check back and let you know,thanks for your time!!!!

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

yea im not even seeing the update in the playstore,all i see is gmail and i cant get anywhere else..weird! really like this ROM for my 8 year old,but this error is killing me!

lichan

Ahhhh..Thanks so much,im gonna flash again but I dont remember even seeing the update after I had flashed..Ill check back and let you know,thanks for your time!!!!

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

yea im not even seeing the update in the playstore,all i see is gmail and i cant get anywhere else..weird! really like this ROM for my 8 year old,but this error is killing me!

I tried many different "fixes" that I found here and across the web, clearing cache & data, re-installing the ROM w/o wifi enabled so I could get in and try to stop Google Play Store and Play Store Services from auto updating when I went live, installing an old gapps package, dropping the Google account and reinitializing it, etc. I could not keep Play Services from automatically updating and starting the endless parade of "Play Services has stopped" errors. Now, get ready for this . . .

The solution to stopping the error is going back one level from this thread and installing Hashcode's CM 12 ROM (Lollypop 5.1.1) and saying good bye to Kinology forever. Whatever Google did to screw up the Play Store several weeks ago is not going to be fixed and there's no work-around that will solve it for everyone.

I have a Sero 7 Pro tablet and what ever Google did made it unable to update or install apps on the tablet, from the store or side-loaded. Everything gives a "Package file is invalid" error. So, never update or install a new app or find a Lollypop ROM, of which there are two available but LP does not play nicely with Mounts2SD and DK_zero_cool has pretty much stopped supporting it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    header.png

Introducing Kinology - The Premier KFHD7 Custom ROM

Standard Disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible for loss, damages, or any kind of issue whatsoever that could arise from installing this ROM. You install it at your own risk.

Kinology is the premier custom ROM for the Kindle Fire HD 7" tablet. It will not work on any other device. Kinology should be considered a "hybrid OS"; it contains Amazon's 7.4.8 ICS-based core along with Google's ICS Services Framework and application stack.

3.3 will be the last version of Kinology. The 7.4.9 update does not leave enough room on the system partition for the Kinology base. Additionally, that version of the Amazon OS is using server side filtering that prevents many non-Amazon approved applications from working correctly. My investigations into the issue did not turn up an easy fix. :(

What's new?
    3.3 - 2014/03/12

• Update the base to 7.4.8 and updated included apps. See the History page linked above for further details.
    3.2 - 2013/11/21

• Kinology itself is unchanged for this release. Only apps have been updated. See the History page linked above for details.
    3.1 - 2013/08/11
    • Updated the base OS to 7.4.6.
    • The restart/failure message when flashing the boot zip will only be shown if the recovery is actually changed.
    • Installers now apply ASLR correctly to all libraries.
    • Added Adobe Flash Player again, as it no longer causes browsers to crash.
    • Updated GmsCore, Hangouts, and Play Store in the Google package.
    • Updated Adobe Air in the Amazon Updates package.
    • Behind the scenes stuff:
    • * Added code to the make scripts to build all-in-one installation.
    • * Modified the make scripts so that .apks with identical code and resources always result in binary-identical files.
    • * Because of the previous modification, update zips can now be automatically generated.
    • * Many other changes to the make scripts so that they are more resilient.

3.0. - 2013/07/21
    • Updated the base OS to 7.4.5.
    • Fixed the disabled wallpaper issue in 7.4.1.
    • Removed text on battery icons (a percentage option was added by Amazon).
    • Updated Gmail, GmsCore, and the Play Store in the Google package, and added Hangouts instead of Talk.
    • Update SuperSU and included SuperSUNoNag.
    • Removed Adobe Flash Player as it is not compatible with 7.4.5.
    • Fixed the install process: the boot zip is now required, but it will only flash items that you do not already have installed.
    • Separated Amazon app updates from Kinology proper in the install process.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Kinology [KFHD7/TATE], ROM for the Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD

Contributors
    JulianPaoloThiry
    ROM OS Version: 4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich
    Based On: Amazon OS 7.4.8

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.3
    Stable Release Date: 2014-03-12

Created 2014-10-16
    Last Updated 2014-10-16
    Good news everyone! Kinology 3.1 is being uploaded now. It's based off of Amazon's 7.4.6 update with the most recent Google app updates as well. Kinology will now also be available in an All-in-one-zip version, and a much smaller update zip for those already running 3.0. Oh, and Flash is working as well.... :)
    OK, 3.1 is up. I'm having trouble getting the AIO uploaded tonight, but I'll add the link as soon as I can tomorrow.
    I will figure a way to get GTalk back.

I can make an updater zip that replaces Hangouts with Talk. Will probably post it tomorrow sometime.
    Kinology 3.3 is now available at the official website, but be warned: it has not been tested. Be sure you have all of your data backed up before giving it a go. If I get some positive feedback, I'll update the thread title, etc. There were no surprises in the 7.4.8 update, so it's unlikely there are any problems, but you never know.

Edit - Don't use the Update-3.2-3.2 file... the updater-script is broken. I'll fix and repost shortly.

Edit - Fixed.