[MOD][GUIDE][12-17-14]MenuBeGone - Lollipop-remap menu button to recent apps

Search This thread

petrus764

Aug 28, 2012
I'm gonna try and do the mods myself on dans 5.0, in the meantime, I too would really like to be able to long press menu button to bring up menu. As some apps are just old and ****.

EDiT: doing it manually just results in neverending boot here, not sure why that is.

EDIT 2: Got it working! Great! Only thing missing now is long press to menu.

Last edited:
Reactions: djsky2011

madmediapro

Oct 13, 2010
I'm running JFLTE-GPE 5.0.1 rom. I changed /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl and change key 139 MENU to key 139 APP_SWITCH to switch apps faster like on the S5. Works great! I wanted to know if there was any to change long press home button and long press search?

Reactions: haririan

RK

Feb 8, 2012
I'm running JFLTE-GPE 5.0.1 rom. I changed /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl and change key 139 MENU to key 139 APP_SWITCH to switch apps faster like on the S5. Works great! I wanted to know if there was any to change long press home button and long press search?
Long press home actions are defined in the framework. You will need to modify framework-res.apk for that. As for long press search and menu, I have no idea..

RK

Feb 8, 2012
Does this mod work on Aurora Lollipop rom for i9500? İ have done the recent apps menu button manually already, but I'm looking for enabling 3dot menu since I hate to long press menu to show the menu. 3dot would be awesome :) BTW values folder inside frameworkresults.apk doesn't exist
You have to decompile the apk for the values folder to show up

RK

Feb 8, 2012
Nope! The values folder is compiled inside the resources.arsc file in the framework. Also, even if you were able to see it without decompiling, opening it in a text editor would show you encrypted garbage. To see the actual code, you need to decompile the app using apktool

bladerj

Dec 3, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Couldn't decompile it, problem with Java and sdk that is required for apktool to work =/ away from home and decent Internet for few more weeks. Can someone share modded frameworks here? =/

dave106

Dec 22, 2005
Tested on the i9500 5.01 TW leak.

In the generic.kl file, key 217 is the hold left button. On the S5 this is actually set to MENU so the function is still there.

Key 254 appears to be hold home but as someone already mentioned, modding another file is needed to change that.

I set 217 to MENU and it works fine, set 254 to SEARCH but it still stays as APP_SWITCH.

Tested changing the home and right and was able to change their function.

So to summarise -

LEFT = 139
HOLD LEFT = 217
HOME = 172
HOLD HOME = 254 (changing has no effect)
RIGHT = 158
HOLD RIGHT = ?

Last edited:

murat_

Feb 5, 2015
How can i fix this?
Sent from my SM-N900 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1423344391123.jpg
    1423344391123.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 615

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: This is not my original idea. I searched a lot to find ways to do this without xposed and found one. Unfortunately I cant find the xda post now to give credit.

Edit: Added flashable zip for lollipop stock GPe

This mod will remap the menu button on the S4 to recent apps button like the S5, and force all apps to show a 3-dot (action overflow) menu.

The point is that I don't like Xposed and that this works with ART.

Tested on google edition ROMs. May work on others.

Remap:

Open /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl and change

Code:
    key  139[COLOR="Red"]  MENU[/COLOR]

to

Code:
    key  139  [COLOR="Green"]APP_SWITCH[/COLOR]

Force 3-dot menu in all apps:

1. Decompile framework-res.apk
    2. Open /res/values/bools.xml and change

Code:
     <bool name="config_showNavigationBar">[COLOR="red"]false[/COLOR]</bool>
    to
    Code:
     <bool name="config_showNavigationBar">[COLOR="Green"]true[/COLOR]</bool>

3 Open /res/values/dimens.xml and change

Code:
    <dimen name="navigation_bar_height">[COLOR="Red"]48.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="navigation_bar_height_landscape">[COLOR="red"]48.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="navigation_bar_width">[COLOR="red"]24.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
    to
    Code:
    <dimen name="navigation_bar_height">[COLOR="Green"]0.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="navigation_bar_height_landscape">[COLOR="green"]0.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="navigation_bar_width">[COLOR="green"]0.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>

This works in google edition ROMs and may work in others.

I have attached a flashable mods I made for KANGAKAT 7.0, 8.0, Jamal's 4.4.4 ROM, Danvdh pure nexus and custom ROM, and Stock 4.4.4.

Download (Only the stock zip is tested but they should all work fine. The zip names are "[ROM Name] - MenuBeGone.zip"

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=16975
    I will take a look at TW to see if this is possible. The mod as is only works on AOSP- based Roms.

You can use the xposed module menubegone in the meantime. The xposed module is more powerful any ways..

I use this because I use ART. But there is no ART on touchwiz so you can just use xposed..

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
    Long press home actions are defined in the framework. You will need to modify framework-res.apk for that. As for long press search and menu, I have no idea..

OP updated. Download the appropriate zip for the ROM you are using from here:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=16975
    Did you get this to work on Danvdh 5.0.1 GPE port? If so can you please share the modded famework-res.apk please!
    I will upload a zip for @Danvdh's current ROM but @Danvdh, being the Dev he is, is going to post lots of updates and I don't have time to keep up..