Bad call quality

Search This thread

migidid

Mar 30, 2010
Espoo
Help

My dad bought his when it came out and he had same problem... it is hardware problem and he took it to repair many times and all they did was software reinstall and diagnostics... nothing changed, its too expensive to open waterproof phone and seal it again... its still in repair and as soon it gets back, it goes there again because still... nothing changes... sony has no good service here in Finland so there is nowhere to call and they arent gonna give him new phone until it has been on repair many many times... each repair takes a month to finish so he gets new Z2 in a year... in that time Z3 is out and Z2 price is down to half of what he paid of it then... only way is to return the phone, but its the same, they just do software reinstall and do diagnostics and record audio, and thats fine, but they arent gonna call anyone to hear the real problem... and then they just wont take the phone back... tried...

vikino

Jul 8, 2007
Hi guys,
i have the same problem since first day i bought that piece of crap, it was my favorite phone of all, but after first two calls when friends told me that they cant hear me well and im "pixeling" i was little bit disappointed...Same as no signal, which i had on my HTC One M7 very rare...But with Sony tooks long time to find signal, only thing i have found is to open Quick menu from top and Disable/Enable LTE, immediatelly after that i get signal again...
But call quality still sucks, HTC had noise canceling too, it worked great. I replaced Z2 for brand new one and still the same issues...

V.

Geminiu

Jan 13, 2010

Hi...

I got a xperia z2 prototye. model 6503.
Everything is working fine, except the call quality. i can hear and understand very well, but the other person has echoes, and very bad sound..
When I use a heatset, there is no problem. and it is almost good, when I put the phone on the table, with speaker on. The problem is worst, when I hold the phone on my ear..

Is it a hard- or software related problem?

I´m now on 17.1.A.2.55

THX

Got prototype with same fault... I replaced motherboard(from non prototype), replaced main flex cable(where mic is), replaced speaker box(mic sits on it), removed membrane from mic hole... still same problem.

Then i by "accident" tested phone without back cover and everytihing was fine, no echo... i was happy that problem was fixed(didnt know how)... assembled it again with back cover -> first call i made -> same sh*t :(

So... long story short... if area with microphone(check pic) is covered by any thing(even table) the other person can hear his ovn echo but if this area isnt covered(sit on table and this area is 1cm from edge of table) there is no echo at all!!!

Did someone manage to solve it completeley?

Attachments

• Z22.jpg
    Z22.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 677

Cloudsev

Mar 27, 2013
I'm impressed this **** hasn't been solved yet. I still have the same problem. Sony is a big **** with their clients, that's all I can say.

strommy1966

Mar 5, 2012
i had this call quality problem with my phone since i bought it in May ! i was about to send the phone back for "repair" then i allowed it to update to
.314 ever since this i haven't had one person say they cant hear me ! before , apparently it sounded like you were across the other side of the room or the other party had feed back. i would have to hold the microphone so close to my mouth .. even then people would say they could hear. so update to 17.1.2.A.0.314 and i hope that will sort your problems like it did mine :good:

ruffruff

Sep 15, 2006
i am also having this problem and i have updated to 314.

just out of curiously, how many of you having this problem are rooted and have a case?

I am rooted. I have both a silicon type case which cover all the edges except the places that shouldn't be covered and a slim case that cover the sides but expose quite a fair bit on the top and bottom.

I have tried with both cases and either it doesn't affect or both affects the quality. using the phone without case sometimes has the poor voice quality issue as well ..

this is really driving me nuts.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

i am also having this problem and i have updated to 314.

just out of curiously, how many of you having this problem are rooted and have a case?

I am rooted. I have both a silicon type case which cover all the edges except the places that shouldn't be covered and a slim case that cover the sides but expose quite a fair bit on the top and bottom.

I have tried with both cases and either it doesn't affect or both affects the quality. using the phone without case sometimes has the poor voice quality issue as well ..

this is really driving me nuts.

quick update. i download a voice record app and tried.
it seems that if i hold the phone on my left hand, at certain portion of the recording, my voice disappear (like drown or stuffed by pillow)
but if i use my right hand to hold the phone the voice recorded is clear throughout.

just to illustrate further on holding posture:
4 fingers on one side of the phone and the other side of the phone, its bottom corner is resting comfortably at the fleshy part of palm directly below the thumb.

anyone else can confirm if this is also true on your phone?

sweets11

Jul 9, 2010
I have had this problem rooted and unrooted (mostly unrooted stock and upgraded).

Anecdotally the issue got better with the latest update but definitely still a problem.

I have had 3x Z2 replacement handsets now... all with this problem. Headset mode, perfect, otherwise the call quality has been average to horrible (echo's, noise, unreadable) from my mic only.

On my 4th replacement Sony must allow me to switch to another handset and refund me.

unni_kmr

Dec 24, 2012
I believe I have this problem. I mostly use my phone for calls through Hangouts and nobody complained. However, almost every time when I call customer care they had a hard time understanding me. Since I am in a different country currently, I just assumed it was because of my accent. Last week, I had a call with a friend through phone and he was saying he couldn't understand clearly either. Today, when I called customer care through office phone, they understood me fine!

My phone has the latest update and is on factory ROM. I have a tempered glass protector on front and back. When I tried Easy Voice Recorder to record my sound, it sounded fine. I have 'Microphone noise suppression' and 'Speaker voice enhancement' disabled. Equalizer is set to 'Normal'.

Fazel01

Nov 12, 2014
Problem Z2

Hi,

I have problem with incoming call sound quality, I can hear them but there is some hiss and scratchy sound that I hear most of the time. I have been to my poor agent in Bahrain many times and they have changed the mother board twice but still the problem exists !. finally they have decided to change the full unit, and surprisingly the same problem occurred on the first call !!!. I was thinking that the quality of Sony Z2 is bad however, but my friend has Z1 and I have used it and the sound is very clear. !. I
I took my Z2 to another agent we have in Bahrain and they have tested the phone and they said that there is problem on the speakers. but they can not repair it because of my warranty is under the first agent !. So I took it back to the first agent and they are not willing to repair my phone. I have complaint this to Sony since 23rd Oct 2014 but still no reply ! all what I receive from Sony is that we will investigate. my request No. is 1-2167511972.
Any one can speed up my complaint ! I think Sony you know very well that there are many phones having this kind of problems and you need to act faster to satisfy your customers !. now almost three months passed and I do not use the this phone and also the value of Z2 has gone down !

Reactions: Mykhailo Malega

morgy82

Jul 5, 2014
I solved the problem!!!

I had the same problem . the sound of my voice was really bad,muffled. my husband disassembled the phone . he cleaned the microphone connector . There was a sort of glue that made by the cap. He removed it with petrol lighters . now It is really ok. the phone is new!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: Mykhailo Malega

xaadilhx

Jun 23, 2013
I'm unsure when this issue surfaced whether it was there before, but I recall some people saying they couldn't hear well.

It's been for repair for unrelated issues and was returned a week later in this month. The issue has got so bad the person said I wasn't speaking English anymore.

The new firmware it came back with

23.0.1.A.0.167, may have made it worse. Such a disappointment from being the best phone ever to not a usable voice phone without a headset (wired or Bluetooth). The microphone can record and perform better with apps however 3g network calls is very difficult to impossible without a headset mic. How can they get this so wrong.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

frankcilo

Jan 19, 2008
Battipaglia
I discovered that the problem of the microphone depends on how high we set the listening volume. More lower the volume during the call, and the caller more we feel better. Try!
I doubt that suppression noises like it was always active

Nov 5, 2011
I have Sony Xperia Z1 and after a recent software update about a week ago (01. 06.2015) other people hear my voice braking up constantly. At the beginning of a call for about 20 seconds is OK and than it gets worse and worse! - to be honest it is complete negligence to release a phone or a software update with a such fault. I keep wandering what is wrong with Sony developers. Just wanted to ask why don't we all start writing complains regarding these issues directly to Sony and see if there is a reaction to our emails. Still. sooner or later these problems must be sorted and of course better if we push for their earlier solutions.

P.S. I have just e-mail the problem described to UK Support: http://support.sonymobile.com/gb/

SONY Respond here:

We would suggest that you try to perform a repair of the software using PC Companion. If the issue is related to a problem with your software this will be repaired and your handset will work as intended. To do this, you will need to install PC Companion from the Sony Xperia website. Please follow the steps below to do this:

1. Go to www.sonymobile.com
2. Select Support
3. Choose your handset from the list provided
4. Move to the bottom of the page and find ‘Connect Your Computer’ and Select PC Companion ‘Read the Details for Windows’
5. Select ‘Download’ once you have checked the requirements

To then perform a repair on your handset’s software, please follow the steps below, making sure that at the start of the process the device is turned off and disconnected from the computer:

1. Open PC Companion
2. Start 'Support Zone'
3. Select Phone Software Updates
4. At this point a pop up will appear on screen asking you to connect your handset while powered on, as the software repair needs the handset to be switched off please ignore these connection instructions and click on the blue link which states "Repair Phone”
5. Some on screen steps will now appear for you to follow. Please also connect the handset when you are prompted to do so.
6. When you are asked to connect the handset (still with the phone powered off) please press and hold the key stated on screen for 30 seconds before connecting the handset and keep it held down as you connect
7. The repair process should now begin.

Please ensure your handset is not connected to your PC when performing the above as you will be instructed to connect your handset once you have followed the above steps. Your handset must also remain powered off at all times.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoMania

fillipp13

Dec 22, 2017
,Hi i have this issue too, people can't hear me well and the also complain about echoes, i'm sure this is a software problem, i'm Just hoping that carbon rom Will be fixed soon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi...

I got a xperia z2 prototye. model 6503.
    Everything is working fine, except the call quality. i can hear and understand very well, but the other person has echoes, and very bad sound..
    When I use a heatset, there is no problem. and it is almost good, when I put the phone on the table, with speaker on. The problem is worst, when I hold the phone on my ear..

Is it a hard- or software related problem?

I´m now on 17.1.A.2.55

THX

Hi,

I got my Xperia Z2 phone today and it was pre-installed with the latest firmware .314 and had the same problem.

I fixed it be doing a repair via "PC Companion."

I plugged in the phone and installed PC Companion. I then chose to do a repair for my phone.

What it does is restart the phone to factory settings, erase everything and install the latest firmware from Sony.

I didn't believe it when I called my friend and asked him if my sound is better and he did! then I called 2 other and they both said it's very good!

I didn't even disable the "Noise Cancelling" option in the settings!

I found out this solution after contacting Sony Repair Department and the guy told me to do this and it should work and it did!

I wish it work for you but really as crazy as it may seem, it worked for me!

Please if it did work for you hit the "Thanks" button.

Good luck :)
    Since others have not complained about this issue, it looks like a hardware issue. Maybe your microphone is faulty?
    Take it to Sony and get it checked.
    Maybe people should report this to Sony as I don't get any complaints from the receiving end so far. My only complaint is the sound quality of the voice in the earpiece is not rich. The voice lacks low frequency.

On my handset I constantly have hissing noises during a call and voice breaking up intermittently, but not when I'm on speaker or headphones then it's all crystal clear.
    Mine is 14W16 and I've already had it replaced but the problem is still there (replacement device also 14W16).
    Does anyone else experience this?
    I've already disabled/enabled microphone noise suppression and speaker voice enhancement, but to no effect.

EDIT: My third device (also 14W16) still has this problem, maybe a faulty batch or is it probably a software problem?

EDIT2: Seems to be a software related problem. I have flashed the new 17.1.1.A.0.402 rom and it's almost perfect now.
    Try 17.1.2.A.0.314

Version 17.1.2.A.0.314 has fixed the voice call quality issues for me (eg. muffled sound on speakerphone/microphone). It's still worse than my old HTC Sensation a bit, but much better than before.

I've read lot of reviews before bought, lot of them stated sound quality is excellent, I was very disappointed on my first call. Those people are deaf..?
    Problem Z2

Hi,

I have problem with incoming call sound quality, I can hear them but there is some hiss and scratchy sound that I hear most of the time. I have been to my poor agent in Bahrain many times and they have changed the mother board twice but still the problem exists !. finally they have decided to change the full unit, and surprisingly the same problem occurred on the first call !!!. I was thinking that the quality of Sony Z2 is bad however, but my friend has Z1 and I have used it and the sound is very clear. !. I
    I took my Z2 to another agent we have in Bahrain and they have tested the phone and they said that there is problem on the speakers. but they can not repair it because of my warranty is under the first agent !. So I took it back to the first agent and they are not willing to repair my phone. I have complaint this to Sony since 23rd Oct 2014 but still no reply ! all what I receive from Sony is that we will investigate. my request No. is 1-2167511972.
    Any one can speed up my complaint ! I think Sony you know very well that there are many phones having this kind of problems and you need to act faster to satisfy your customers !. now almost three months passed and I do not use the this phone and also the value of Z2 has gone down !