[GUIDE] **SPRINT CDMA HERO**Unroot without RUU / From SD Card

Search This thread

rt1oo

Jan 5, 2010
If for some reason you cannot get ADB access to your device, can't run windows, or there is physical damage to your USB ports, this is a guide showing how to un-root from only using the SD card.

Method ONE
***Overwrites ALL data on phone***

This method grabs
Code:
android-info.txt
boot.img
hboot.1.41.0000.img
nv.img
radio.img
recovery.img
splash1_HTC_320x480.nb0
system.img
userdata.img
From Flipzmode's 1.56 RUU

This works in almost all situations, unless you ran the 2.1 test RUU, which updates your HBoot to 1.47. Stock HBoot is 1.41.

1. Download the following file: Desktop Link Mobile Link
    img.php
  2. place in /root of SD card
  3. Reboot phone into HBoot mode, by holding Volume Down
  4. Press action (the trackball) when prompted
  5. Reboot phone

and you're done!

Many many thanks to johnsongrantr for his method.

Method TWO
only if Method ONE fails. much longer/more complicated process

Files needed:
Flashrec 1.13.apk (133 KB)
Desktop Download Link
Mobile Download Link
img.php

No Root Nandroid Backup (93.14 MB)< (SW Version 1.56, IE 1st OTA update)
Desktop Download Link
Mobile Download Link
img.php

googleionrecoverymode32.jpg

^Stock Recovery Image^ (5 MB)
Desktop Download Link
Mobile Download Link
img.php

Original radio update 1.04 (THANKS FLIPZ!!!) Link
img.php
***NOTE*** Radio updating is one of the only risky behaviors that you can engage in with your phone Possible Bricking alert. ONLY flash this if you have previously updated your radio with an update.zip. Just flashing ROMs doesn't change your radio.

1. Extract NoRootNandroid.zip, revealing a folder called NoRootNand
  2. Move NoRootNand to
    Code:
    /sdcard/nandroid/HTxxxxxxxxxx/NoRootNand
  3. Move recovery-backup.img, Radio update.zip, and flashrec-1.1.3-20091107.apk to the root folder of your SD card
  4. Boot into Recovery mode (hold Home + End when booting). Restore Nandroid backup called NoRootNand
  5. Update the radio by flashing the Radio update .zip file
  6. Install FlashRec
  7. Run FlashRec (its name has changed to 'Recovery Flasher' when you installed it)
  8. Click on 'Restore Backup Image'
  9. If there are errors in FlashRec, reboot your phone, try again

and you're done!

**I take no responsibility for bricking of any sort, but it worked for me**

Method TWO was adapted from dfbonney's post, found here

Last edited:

sinistermeshes

Mar 1, 2010
If for some reason you cannot get ADB access to your device, can't run windows, or there is physical damage to your USB ports, this is a guide showing how to un-root from only using the SD card.

Files needed:
Flashrec 1.13.apk (133 KB)
Desktop Browser Link
Mobile Browser Link

No Root Nandroid Backup (93.14 MB)
Desktop Browser Link
Mobile Browser Link

google-ion-recovery-mode-322x600.jpg

^Stock Recovery Image^ (5 MB)
Desktop Browser Link
Mobile Browser Link

Okay. now that you have all the files you need, follow the steps below

1. Extract NoRootNandroid.zip, revealing a folder called NoRootNand
  2. Move NoRootNand to
    Code:
    /sdcard/nandroid/HTxxxxxxxxxx/NoRootNand
  3. Move recovery-backup.img and flashrec-1.1.3-20091107.apk to the root folder of your SD card
  4. Boot into Recovery mode (hold Home + End when booting). Restore Nandroid backup called NoRootNand
  5. Install FlashRec
  6. Run FlashRec (its name has changed to 'Recovery Flasher' when you installed it)
  7. Click on 'Restore Backup Image'
  8. If there are errors in FlashRec, reboot your phone, try again

You're unrooted!

**I take no responsibility for bricking of any sort, but it worked for me**

im sorry is this for the sprint hero? isee its posted in the cdma hero forum, but that picture doesnt look like cdma hero

but i guess some heros are also not google branded and look different?

idk, some clarificatio would be awesome

chococrazy

Sep 3, 2007
Houston
im sorry is this for the sprint hero? isee its posted in the cdma hero forum, but that picture doesnt look like cdma hero

but i guess some heros are also not google branded and look different?

idk, some clarificatio would be awesome

That is the droid eris by Verizon.
It's the verizon version of the sprint hero. It's pretty much the exact same except for the phone body.

sinistermeshes

Mar 1, 2010
oh! you mustve been posting as i was! i apologize!
so, in theory, this wouldnt work?

just looking for a riskfree way to unroot

sinistermeshes

Mar 1, 2010
That doesn't look like any Eris I have ever seen:
04326_HTC-Droid-Eris.jpg

just wanted to report an LOL@your response (ive played with a friends eris, and agreed, the phone depicted in the OP is most certainly not the eris)

and ask if you knew of any ways to unroot to stock 100% safely? even the 100% garuntee RUU thread seems iffy. this seems like, in theory, would work (untouched nandroid combined with stock recovery) and i dont see how it could mess up

but then again, my senior membership is only due to having to fight back the flamers, and am truely still a noob, so what do i know?

thanks in advance!

rt1oo

Jan 5, 2010
Yes this is for CDMA hero, because it's in the CDMA Hero200 wiki and the CDMA hero part of the forum. The screenshot is to illustrate the stock recovery image.

Thanks, though, I'll edit to provide clarification

animal7296

Dec 4, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT.
just wanted to report an LOL@your response (ive played with a friends eris, and agreed, the phone depicted in the OP is most certainly not the eris)

and ask if you knew of any ways to unroot to stock 100% safely? even the 100% garuntee RUU thread seems iffy. this seems like, in theory, would work (untouched nandroid combined with stock recovery) and i dont see how it could mess up

but then again, my senior membership is only due to having to fight back the flamers, and am truely still a noob, so what do i know?

thanks in advance!

I can tell you that I have used the RUU several times. I am very anal about my phone so every time the paint chips off of the power button I take it in and get it replaced. This has happened several times along with my speaker blowing and the charging port not working. Every time I take it in i RUU just to make sure the warranty dont get cancelled. I have never had a problem using the RUU to unroot.

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
I can tell you that I have used the RUU several times. I am very anal about my phone so every time the paint chips off of the power button I take it in and get it replaced. This has happened several times along with my speaker blowing and the charging port not working. Every time I take it in i RUU just to make sure the warranty dont get cancelled. I have never had a problem using the RUU to unroot.

Then you're one of the lucky majority. I've used the RUU on my phone 6 times and every time it's gotten the 110 error. This is on 2 different phones and several OS's and computers. I've used dfbonney's method to restore it to stock 5 times (yes I replaced one phone) and it worked fine.

animal7296

Dec 4, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT.
Then you're one of the lucky majority. I've used the RUU on my phone 6 times and every time it's gotten the 110 error. This is on 2 different phones and several OS's and computers. I've used dfbonney's method to restore it to stock 5 times (yes I replaced one phone) and it worked fine.

I am not trying to discredit you at all. I am just stating my experiences. If your way works good then great for the people that use it. I say the more the merrier.

Thank you for the guide and for helping out the community smw.

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
I am not trying to discredit you at all. I am just stating my experiences. If your way works good then great for the people that use it. I say the more the merrier.

Thank you for the guide and for helping out the community smw.

Whoops. You took that the wrong way. :) And it's not my guide it's dfbonney's, I just tested a few things with him. I simply meant that there's no potential harm (that I found after multiple test and TRYING to break the phone) that can come from that method. I was also pointing out that most people DON'T seem to have problems with the RUU to stock method..but for those that do there's a way out that's harmless.

That's all I meant :)

animal7296

Dec 4, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT.
Whoops. You took that the wrong way. :) And it's not my guide it's dfbonney's, I just tested a few things with him. I simply meant that there's no potential harm (that I found after multiple test and TRYING to break the phone) that can come from that method. I was also pointing out that most people DON'T seem to have problems with the RUU to stock method..but for those that do there's a way out that's harmless.

That's all I meant :)

No problem. I have a rare ability to not get mad over the internet. Its all good. :D

rt1oo

Jan 5, 2010
I've been able to RUU successfully once, then my USB port broke (only charge, no USB data) (weird...) so then I scoured the forums and found a bunch of different places with a bunch of different steps so i cleaned it up, bundled the files all together and made things pretty, and listed it in the wiki for all to use