[Q] Does fm radio exist on LG G3?

Search This thread

meladori30

May 2, 2010
I found the service manual.

Usually and in general, slight variants (tr) of phones with working FM will work, at least if rooted and running my Spirit1 app. Turning Bluetooth off first may help, and waiting at least 15 seconds at startup may be needed.

Pretty much all phones have the needed "hardware" in the FM/BT/WiFi combo chip. But hardware disabled phones have the FM antenna pin grounded and thus useless.

Only exception I've ever seen to this is on the G2, which had a very unusual FM/BT switch chip for audio. G3 might possibly have the same, but my primary thoughts about G2 was that the chip was a strange hack they might not repeat for the G3.

G2 service manuals had schematics that better verified. Perhaps the G3 will have service manuals eventually released/leaked to confirm.

I came across the service manual. I'm really not sure how to understand all that into but if it helps someone figure this out if FM can work I'll send it to you. Just PM me with into its like 69mb large over 350 pages.:confused:

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
I came across the service manual. I'm really not sure how to understand all that into but if it helps someone figure this out if FM can work I'll send it to you. Just PM me with into its like 69mb large over 350 pages.:confused:

Just send me a link via email: mikereidis@gmail.com .

In most cases like this, if the schematic has the details, it shows that FM antenna connection is optional, without any indication of which variants are connected or not.

I am pretty sure it's a lost cause.

It's rare these days for a phone with no stock FM app to be able to work. Only examples I can think of are the 2 year old HTC One M7 GPE Google Play Edition, 1 year old-ish Verizon HTC One M8 and Verizon Xperia Z3v I think.

FM on Android flagships is dying; my terminallty decling Spirit income shows that, and I am now looking to move into the Android Auto world.

grease×monkey

Jun 30, 2015
return email from the fcc

"Thank you for your letter supporting the inclusion and activation of FM chip sets in mobile wireless handsets. Your views on this issue are very important.
As the Chairman recently indicated in a letter in response to a Congressional inquiry, he agrees with you that FM chip sets are a good idea, and understands that there are an increasing number of phones that include them.
Please be assured, one of the Commission's highest priorities is to ensure that all Americans have the capability to receive timely and accurate alerts, warnings and critical information regarding disasters and other emergencies irrespective of what communications technologies they use. As we have learned from previous disasters, such a capability is essential to enable Americans to take appropriate action to protect their families and themselves from loss of life or serious injury.
The Commission has a well-established policy of technologically-neutral regulation of the wireless telecommunications industry, which allows mobile wireless providers and equipment manufacturers to select and incorporate the technologies that will enable them to most effectively and efficiently deliver mobile alerts. Commission regulations do not prohibit activated FM chips in wireless handsets, and at least one major carrier has embraced the technology by providing FM radio access to their mobile customers."

email fcc and demand cell carriers to no longer disable fm chips. it a matter fo public safety.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sprint version has fm radio
    so that means that the hardware is the same at all devices and there is tuner build in at all of them..?

Yes. AFAIK, pretty much all G3's are the same, except for supported baseband/modem bands, as well as FM enabled/disabled.

The FM/BT/WiFi combo chip is from Qualcomm and has 2 antenna pins. On FM supported devices one of those pins is connected to wired headset jack through a few cheap and tiny capacitors and coils, etc.

On FM non-supported devices, they just ground or short the antenna pins. All the software can run without "problems". But there is no signal.

This is standard practice for years. Virtually all Android devices have an FM/BT/WiFi chip (though a few of the newest are killing FM for good...). But most devices disable, or "don't enable" FM in this way.

It's a very simple way to enable/disable, and it's hacker proof, or would at least require thousands of dollars in equipment and skills to fix just one device.
    On second thought it might not just be the rom and kernel. It may actually be the modem.img that controls all of the radios/3G/LTE/wifi/bluetooth/FM. I don't get my G3 until after Christmas so I cannot currently test. IIRC back in the day of windwos mobile some sprint phones HAD FM but it wasn't enabled until a firmware update. I know that this is true of the GPS in the htc ppc6800 aka the mogul. That is why I am thinking that it is software disabled. I really hope that someone can figure this out. I really hate wasting my data on iheartradio and youtube when I could just use FM radio.

In the last 4 years I have never heard of interaction between FM and the modem side of things, except that modem hardware connections to audio could complicate things.

I have yet to see a phone with FM disabled in firmware, unless we are talking about removing/disabling a kernel driver for FM or using not FM-friendly audio HALs.

So far, FM has always been disabled or "not supported" in kernel, HAL, framework or by grounding the FM antenna pin(s) instead of connecting them to headset with a coil and cap or 2.

The few cases where we see schematics shows that FM pin grounding is a favoured method. It's easy to do on a production line, even when the PCBs are the same; just a ground jumper and a few components not populated.
    Is there any way to find out for sure without opening up the phone? I was looking on the FCC website and couldn't find any pictures of the PCB. I am looking at the verizon vs985 as that is what I plan on getting.

Just get one of my Spirit2 apps "working", like this free open source one: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3037801&d=1417174330

It should "appear to work" with no error messages if the Qualcomm kernel driver for FM is loaded. Don't even worry about audio for now. Just see if RSSI at top left goes up when tuned to a strong station, and with a wired headset plugged in for antenna.

If RSSI is negative or around zero or otherwise doesn't change, then the FM antenna pin is grounded.

Don't worry about HALs or ROM. The G3 only needs to be rooted and a kernel with the FM driver loaded. In my experience, it's rare for a kernel to NOT have the FM driver in it (though sometimes it's been broken on CM ROMs that disabled kernel modules support).
    return email from the fcc

"Thank you for your letter supporting the inclusion and activation of FM chip sets in mobile wireless handsets. Your views on this issue are very important.
    As the Chairman recently indicated in a letter in response to a Congressional inquiry, he agrees with you that FM chip sets are a good idea, and understands that there are an increasing number of phones that include them.
    Please be assured, one of the Commission's highest priorities is to ensure that all Americans have the capability to receive timely and accurate alerts, warnings and critical information regarding disasters and other emergencies irrespective of what communications technologies they use. As we have learned from previous disasters, such a capability is essential to enable Americans to take appropriate action to protect their families and themselves from loss of life or serious injury.
    The Commission has a well-established policy of technologically-neutral regulation of the wireless telecommunications industry, which allows mobile wireless providers and equipment manufacturers to select and incorporate the technologies that will enable them to most effectively and efficiently deliver mobile alerts. Commission regulations do not prohibit activated FM chips in wireless handsets, and at least one major carrier has embraced the technology by providing FM radio access to their mobile customers."

email fcc and demand cell carriers to no longer disable fm chips. it a matter fo public safety.